Other Resources The Political Joe » Ukraine Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-03-20 1:56 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Ukraine

Crimea is part of Russia.....everyone needs to get over it....the ship has sailed. 

Putin vs. Obama?  C'mon.....please.  Obama's not even in the game.

2014-03-21 8:56 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Hypothetically, if a pro-Russian mob ousted the Canadian government and we had a strong national interest in say....Toronto....I think there is a good chance that America would react very similarly to Russia.

2014-03-26 5:13 PM

Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

Crimea is part of Russia.....everyone needs to get over it....the ship has sailed. 

SNL had a great skit on this - put Obama shirtless on a horse to give him credibility. hilarious.
2014-05-08 10:55 PM

Master
, California

It's interesting how Putin is riding high approval ratings due to this annexation, but at the same time he sort of shot himself in the foot.  He really *does not* want Ukraine to have any more ties with the EU or NATO.  And yet by taking Crimea, he severely crippled prospects of the Party of Regions winning in the upcoming May election.  Without Crimeans included in Ukraine's voting, it is very likely the elections will lean towards the west.

Of course this is why we're seeing the continued pressure and games.  Russia will try to keep dissent levels high, then they'll cry foul over anything that happens in this election.

2014-05-09 8:46 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro

Originally posted by spudone

It's interesting how Putin is riding high approval ratings due to this annexation, but at the same time he sort of shot himself in the foot.  He really *does not* want Ukraine to have any more ties with the EU or NATO.  And yet by taking Crimea, he severely crippled prospects of the Party of Regions winning in the upcoming May election.  Without Crimeans included in Ukraine's voting, it is very likely the elections will lean towards the west.

Of course this is why we're seeing the continued pressure and games.  Russia will try to keep dissent levels high, then they'll cry foul over anything that happens in this election.

I think that's right to a degree.  I think Unkrain was going pro-west even with Crimea still a part of the country, which is why Putin did what he did.  He's kind of stuck now though.  He knows he can't get Ukrain without a massive backlash, so now he is left to gamesmanship.  He's a pro......so he'll make a play somehow, but I think he's waited too long.  If you act swiftly the West just kind of sits and whines (Crimea).....if you wait too long they get their ducks in line and cause some serious economic issues.

2014-05-09 3:41 PM
in reply to: 0

New user
Key West

They elected a weak leader who was compromised by Putin......he's still KGB at his core and longs for the days of the Soviet Union, no?   The Ukranians and the world may be better served to cut their losses and move on.

"elected" yeah... this is the same guy that had his first (fradulent) election nullified after the Orange revolution, and won in 2010 under similar dubious circumstances.  Very, very corrupt, and a puppet of Russia.

The division between Russian and Ukrainian speakers - that's just something the Western press likes to play up.  Everyone there pretty much speaks both, and some words / phrases are mixed and matched.  There's not this constant animosity that the media would have you believe.  As for the media THERE, it's mostly owned by oligarchs and it's a constant barrage of propaganda one way or the other.  It makes MSNBC and Fox look like buddies.  You think politics are tough in the U.S. - heh... it's a full contact sport in Ukraine and Russia.

Putin is playing up the "facism / nazi" card in the eastern regions to undermine Kyiv.  But Ukrainians have a long memory and I think even in Donetsk and Kharkiv, they'd rather work with Russia than be absorbed by Russia.  Read up on Holodomor, the demolition of St. Michael's cathedral, deportation of Tatars from Crimea, etc.  There's a lot of resentment that won't go away with a rigged vote or a few Russian controlled tv stations.

My girlfriend is Ukrainian and we were there in Kyiv last June, so I have a little different perspective on what's happening.

I lived in Ukraine for two years as a Peace Corps Volunteer (2005-2007). We had the largest contingent of volunteers of any country in the world. Of course, they were evacuated when the uprising in Kyiv started. The East and the West of the country ("Ukraine" by the way not "The Ukraine") is very different in many ways and Russian is the language of choice in the Eastern regions, Ukrainian in the Western and Sergic (combo of the two) in the middle. The official language of the country though is their language, which is Ukrainian. In Eastern Ukraine where I started my PC service every town center had a statute of Lenin and tanks from the USSR era. In the West, you will find no trace of either. I spent most of my PC service though in the West and they are definitely Western leaning a long to have a successful market economy. In the East where it is very industrial, and sad in so many ways, not so much. But, I never felt like there was ever any tension between the two "sides" of the country. Just a way of life that was a little bit different and maybe political differences like we see in our country between the red and blue states.

I can tell you though that when the Crimean issue arose, there was no doubt in my mind that they would end up in Russian hands. When I was down there and tried to speak Ukrainian to anyone, I was ignored. But, if I spoke English, they would at least pay attention to me. There are still hammers and sickle here and there and, of course, what Russian loosely calls a Navy. (I am also a former Naval officer and I can tell you it is grim). Now, in my mind, I am concerned about the Black Sea Coast. Odessa is very Russian friendly even though it is technically in the West, because there is a lot of Russian Mafia money there. But, I think there are enough Nationalists that they won't go the way of Crimea. I can't believe that the international community would allow Ukraine to become landlocked. I hope not.

I am, as you might imagine, sick about what is happening now and so much progress being erased. Unfortunately though, I do think that many in the East do have short memories about the atrocities visited on Ukraine by Russia in the past. Mostly because the economy is horrendous and there are still many cold war era citizens who have not adjusted to the "new" way of life. I have to hope that the young people do not give into the fatalism and apathy that many of their parents and grandparents feel about what Russia is instigating here.

Edited by topolina 2014-05-09 3:44 PM

2014-05-09 6:34 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by topolina

They elected a weak leader who was compromised by Putin......he's still KGB at his core and longs for the days of the Soviet Union, no?   The Ukranians and the world may be better served to cut their losses and move on.

"elected" yeah... this is the same guy that had his first (fradulent) election nullified after the Orange revolution, and won in 2010 under similar dubious circumstances.  Very, very corrupt, and a puppet of Russia.

The division between Russian and Ukrainian speakers - that's just something the Western press likes to play up.  Everyone there pretty much speaks both, and some words / phrases are mixed and matched.  There's not this constant animosity that the media would have you believe.  As for the media THERE, it's mostly owned by oligarchs and it's a constant barrage of propaganda one way or the other.  It makes MSNBC and Fox look like buddies.  You think politics are tough in the U.S. - heh... it's a full contact sport in Ukraine and Russia.

Putin is playing up the "facism / nazi" card in the eastern regions to undermine Kyiv.  But Ukrainians have a long memory and I think even in Donetsk and Kharkiv, they'd rather work with Russia than be absorbed by Russia.  Read up on Holodomor, the demolition of St. Michael's cathedral, deportation of Tatars from Crimea, etc.  There's a lot of resentment that won't go away with a rigged vote or a few Russian controlled tv stations.

My girlfriend is Ukrainian and we were there in Kyiv last June, so I have a little different perspective on what's happening.

I can't believe that the international community would allow Ukraine to become landlocked. I hope not. I am, as you might imagine, sick about what is happening now and so much progress being erased. Unfortunately though, I do think that many in the East do have short memories about the atrocities visited on Ukraine by Russia in the past. Mostly because the economy is horrendous and there are still many cold war era citizens who have not adjusted to the "new" way of life. I have to hope that the young people do not give into the fatalism and apathy that many of their parents and grandparents feel about what Russia is instigating here.

The problem is Putin.  He's old school, and very savvy, as underhanded as his methods may be.  Currently, there is not a leader in the Western world who can match him in experience and ability to gain a united front behind his decisions.(forget about the methods to accomplish that, it doesn't matter)  Obama has nothing, and like it or not, the strength of the U.S. is always important in these issues. 

I think Putin will continue to chip away rather than make another "bold" move like he did with Crimea. The West will stand by rather than make a stand.  The U.S. is weary after the wars in the Middle East and that region is not on the map of the majority of Americans......the rest of the free world follows along.  Putin understands that better than anyone.   

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-09 6:36 PM
2014-07-17 3:15 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Looks like this is back to the top of the headlines - lots of speculation right now. Bad string for Malaysia Airlines, rough.
2014-07-17 3:26 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers Looks like this is back to the top of the headlines - lots of speculation right now. Bad string for Malaysia Airlines, rough.

It's crazy.  I saw the headline today and went wtf, this just doesn't happen.

Obviously it's all speculation at this point, but this was the best guess I've seen so far: ( quote from http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/07/17/malaysia-airlines-passenger-jet-shot-down-over-ukraine/)

But retired Army Lt. Col Ralph Peters, also a Fox News contributor, said it is unlikely the Russian military would have put missile batteries capable of knocking a plane out of the sky at such an altitude in the hands of rebels.

"It wasn't the separatists, although Russia will try to blame them, or blame the Ukrainians," Peters said. "The Russians have not given the separatists complex, high-altitude air-defense systems. If this airliner was flying at 34,000 feet or any altitude close to that, it was shot down by Russian military air-defense systems perched on the Ukrainian border."

Peters said the Russian military has been shooting down Ukrainian military aircraft in recent weeks, and most likely mistook the airliner for a Ukrainian military aircraft.

I used to be a Fire Controlman in the Navy and my job was to shoot down airplanes.  With our 80's technology radar/missile system it was very easy to tell if we were targeting a large aircraft or a small aircraft/missile, so there's little doubt that they were targeting a large aircraft.  My guess is they thought they were shooting at another military cargo plane and mistakenly hit the 777.  There's no benefit to either side to murder hundreds of civilians that I can see.

2014-07-17 5:16 PM

New user
Key West
The Ukrainian Foreign Minister says they have proof (telephone chatter) that it was the separatists that shot the plane down. It is indisputable, according to the Pentagon, that the recent Ukrainian transport planes that were shot down were shot down by BUK missiles inside Russian territory. That isn't to say that the Russian military pulled the trigger, although they may have, but they certainly could be harboring the terrorists/separatists just over the line. Also, the Command structure and control in the Russian military is not like we experienced in the Navy (I served as well) or our military in general. They are not quite as well organized and controlled as one might think. If you have ever seen the current Russian Fleet homeported in Crimea ( I have), they have a real problem with morale and maintenance. In any event, we know that the Ukrainian separatists are not well organized or led, so I wouldn't be shocked if they did this. Who knows what will have happened to the integrity of the crash scene by the time aviation and military investigators get there. This is a pretty remote area and controlled by the separatists, with a lot of civilians poking around it today, so no telling. The best evidence will come from our intelligence who have been closely watching the border and will, no doubt, know if there was a missile fired and from where.

Such a sad loss and statement about our world these days.
2014-07-17 6:40 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Pro

If this missile was launched anywhere near the Russian border we will never know the truth.  There will be claims and assertions.....but we won't definitively know...ever.

2014-07-17 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

If this missile was launched anywhere near the Russian border we will never know the truth.  There will be claims and assertions.....but we won't definitively know...ever.

I don't think so, the evidence is piling up pretty quickly that it was shot down by Russian separatists using weapons furnished to them by the Russian government. I would be surprised if they don't own up to it by the weekend.
2014-07-17 9:21 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mcgilmartin

I don't think so, the evidence is piling up pretty quickly that it was shot down by Russian separatists using weapons furnished to them by the Russian government. I would be surprised if they don't own up to it by the weekend.

If they want to own up to it, sure.  I'm not taking that bet.  They are going to own up to shooting down a civilian aircraft??  To what benefit? 

2014-07-18 9:01 AM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

New user
Key West

Just as a point of clarification, they are Ukrainian separatists, not Russian. They are Russian sympathizers/puppets and wannabes, but unless they move their sorry butts across the border to Russian and become Russian citizens (which in my opinion is what they should do and what they deserve), they are still Ukrainian.
2014-07-18 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Just as a point of clarification, they are Ukrainian separatists, not Russian. They are Russian sympathizers/puppets and wannabes, but unless they move their sorry butts across the border to Russian and become Russian citizens (which in my opinion is what they should do and what they deserve), they are still Ukrainian.

That may be, but throughout the media and everywhere else they are being called Russian Separatists.  

2014-07-18 10:13 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I see a lot of people pointing to the separatists, but I just can't see the Russians giving them sophisticated anti-air weapon systems like this to "play with".

I know the Russian military isn't trained to any level close to the US military, but I went to almost two years of training to work on and operate the radar/weapon systems I used on the ship I was on.  I just can't see the Russians handing something like that over to untrained Ukranian people who support the Russians.  Guns, RPG's, maybe even light armored vehicles, but beyond that I am having a hard time buying it.

2014-07-18 11:00 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by tuwood

I see a lot of people pointing to the separatists, but I just can't see the Russians giving them sophisticated anti-air weapon systems like this to "play with".

I know the Russian military isn't trained to any level close to the US military, but I went to almost two years of training to work on and operate the radar/weapon systems I used on the ship I was on.  I just can't see the Russians handing something like that over to untrained Ukranian people who support the Russians.  Guns, RPG's, maybe even light armored vehicles, but beyond that I am having a hard time buying it.

Still trying to find it, but I thought I either read or heard (radio) that the Ukraine claims they don't have the weaponry to do what this SAM did.  I could be WAY off, but if that is true, then what?

Found it.

"Ukrainian National Security and Defense Council spokesman Andrei Lysenko told Interfax Thursday that the Ukrainian army is not equipped with the SA-11, which raises questions about where the separatists may have gotten one (if that's in fact what they used)."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/07/17/this-is-the-surface-to-air-missile-that-ukraine-says-shot-down-mh17/ 

Edited by crowny2 2014-07-18 11:10 AM
2014-07-18 11:11 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by crowny2

Still trying to find it, but I thought I either read or heard (radio) that the Ukraine claims they don't have the weaponry to do what this SAM did.  I could be WAY off, but if that is true, then what?

I think you make a great point with the "then what" part.  Lets just say Hypothetically that the Russians did shoot it down (accidentally, or intentionally).  What does the US do?  Do we just impose sanctions?  Can we really even do that because Russia has a lot of power with energy resources, so they could "impose sanctions" as well and likely cause more harm.

We're certainly not going to get into an armed conflict with Russia, so I truly don't know what difference it makes no matter how tragic it was.

2014-07-18 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I am pretty sure both sides had these "BUK" type SAM missile systems: Ukraine military and separatists with Russian help/advisors/training, etc. We'll see what happens as the facts and info slowly get made public or leaked, etc.
2014-07-18 11:28 AM

User image

Champion

I think you make a great point with the "then what" part.  Lets just say Hypothetically that the Russians did shoot it down (accidentally, or intentionally).  What does the US do?  Do we just impose sanctions?  Can we really even do that because Russia has a lot of power with energy resources, so they could "impose sanctions" as well and likely cause more harm.

We're certainly not going to get into an armed conflict with Russia, so I truly don't know what difference it makes no matter how tragic it was.

There is nothing WE can do, but I'm certain hoping there is something the average public in Russia will do.  I don't know what, but THEY are in reality the only ones that can do anything.

2014-07-18 8:30 PM

New user
Key West

That may be, but throughout the media and everywhere else they are being called Russian Separatists.  

It may be that the press is using the term Russian separatists, but the press isn't always so exact in their language. Many of them still say "The Ukraine" when talking about Ukraine and that has never been correct. It was commonly used, but never correct, when they were part of the Soviet Union. In any event, I guess the most accurate term would be "pro-Russian separatists." There are a few in the press that get that distinction. They are also the ones who know not to say "The Ukraine."

As for the Russian public having the moral fortitude or ability to change the course of Putin's governance, that just is not likely. Not sure how this will get resolved unless the rest of the World, which is now vested in this (at least the nation's with victims in this shoot down) solidify with extreme sanctions and pressure on Putin.

2014-07-21 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Denver

Originally posted by topolina It may be that the press is using the term Russian separatists, but the press isn't always so exact in their language. Many of them still say "The Ukraine" when talking about Ukraine and that has never been correct. It was commonly used, but never correct, when they were part of the Soviet Union. In any event, I guess the most accurate term would be "pro-Russian separatists." There are a few in the press that get that distinction. They are also the ones who know not to say "The Ukraine." As for the Russian public having the moral fortitude or ability to change the course of Putin's governance, that just is not likely. Not sure how this will get resolved unless the rest of the World, which is now vested in this (at least the nation's with victims in this shoot down) solidify with extreme sanctions and pressure on Putin.

At first I thought for sure this would unify the Europeans against Putin, but the more time that goes by  the more I think they're just too dependent on Russian energy to do anything too severe. Maybe it'll unify their populations behind implementing some sanctions that would hurt them as well as Russia, but if Putin can continue denying involvement and change the subject to say, pushing for a cease fire I think a lot of the momentum for actual sanctions with teeth from the Europeans will be lost and Russia will get away with what they've been doing.

2014-07-23 3:25 PM
in reply to: drewb8

New user
Key West
And the beat goes on. Two Ukrainian figher jets shot down in the last 24 hours and Ukraine says rockets came from Russia. So much for Putin and his cronies across the border backing off or considering a cease fire.
2014-08-26 9:22 AM

New user
Key West
In case anyone believed that Russian was not directly involved in the Separatists' activities, 10 Russian paratroopers just got nabbed by the Ukrainian forces. Russian first said they were on a "special mission" and then that they must have "accidentally" wondered over the border. Really?! Anybody buy that one. Not sure why people aren't more outraged at what is clearly a violation of International Law and sovereign space, but hopefully there is some sort of end to the conflict without Ukraine having to lose more territory.
2014-08-26 9:32 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by topolina In case anyone believed that Russian was not directly involved in the Separatists' activities, 10 Russian paratroopers just got nabbed by the Ukrainian forces. Russian first said they were on a "special mission" and then that they must have "accidentally" wondered over the border. Really?! Anybody buy that one. Not sure why people aren't more outraged at what is clearly a violation of International Law and sovereign space, but hopefully there is some sort of end to the conflict without Ukraine having to lose more territory.

I would think Putin will take full advantage of the world being focused on ISIS.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Ukraine Rss Feed  

of 3