General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental aspects of IM training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-24 10:56 AM

Subject: Mental aspects of IM training
I have written a letter on my blog to IMTX that sums up my feelings so far! Not that I'm not loving training, it is just sometimes hard (I know that's what makes it IM). Just wanted to share!

Dear Ironman Texas,

I have been training for you for 6 weeks and you are always on my mind. Although the physical training is tough the mental aspect of training is tougher. I think about you constantly, I think about you when I’m working, eating, sleeping, resting, hanging out with friends and family. I take you into consideration when making most decisions. For example, do I really want to eat those potato chips, or will I regret it on my 2 hour run this afternoon? No, I don’t want to go shopping because I need to rest and stay off my feet. On Saturday night, no I don’t want to stay up late and have a glass of wine; I have a 4 hour bike ride tomorrow!

Although I’m enjoying this close relationship I’m already looking forward to parting ways with you on May 18, 2014.

Sincerely,
The Rustic Runner

2014-02-25 2:29 AM
in reply to: summerk

Subject: RE: Mental aspects of IM training
Brilliant!! It even made my GF smiled knowing that she is upset due to my silly hours of training....

2014-02-25 12:15 PM
in reply to: IvoryBro

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Awesome! I am also in week 6 of my IM training plan (IMMT) and its all I think about. Your letter summed up my feelings exactly.
2014-02-25 6:35 PM

User image

Wait until you hit taper and are done on a Saturday before 10 am and you have NO idea what to do with yourself!

2014-02-28 11:06 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
IM training is an emotional rollercoster, especially for the first one. Just follow your plan and let the emotions eb and flow as they will knowing that if you stay true to the plan you will be fine come raceday (assuming you don't go out to fast, get enough calories and enough but not too much water).
2014-03-01 7:11 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Regular
Akron
ahhhh. the emotions! Last year was the worst for me. Sometimes I just broke down and cried and the next day I felt like I was on top of the world. Whatever you sacrifice it will be so worth it!!!

2014-03-01 7:20 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Life is too short to worry about all that stuff. If you want the potato chips, eat them. If you want a glass of wine, have a glass of wine. Follow the plan and execute on race day and what will be, will be.

Unless you are a professional or an AGer trying to get to Kona, your time really doesn't matter.
2014-03-01 9:51 PM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

Originally posted by japarker24 Life is too short to worry about all that stuff. If you want the potato chips, eat them. If you want a glass of wine, have a glass of wine. Follow the plan and execute on race day and what will be, will be. Unless you are a professional or an AGer trying to get to Kona, your time really doesn't matter.

Thank you for saying so.  I needed to hear that today. 

2014-03-06 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4954640

I'm feeling it too- also training for Texas. It's my first so I'm super nervous and excited! But none of my friends seem to get why I don't want to hang out much right now. Personally I kind of enjoy training as an excuse to have a break from people though!
2014-03-13 7:50 AM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by SEADOCHA ahhhh. the emotions! Last year was the worst for me. Sometimes I just broke down and cried and the next day I felt like I was on top of the world. Whatever you sacrifice it will be so worth it!!!

Ha! I call that Ironman PMS.  

2014-03-18 2:44 PM

User image

Sarnia
I think that the balance keeps the emotions in check. BUT...I do like that the commitment keeps the balance.

2014-03-18 4:12 PM
in reply to: bmeere

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
This is my first time training for an IM, but I have used several 20-24 week marathon training plans. 24 weeks is a LONG time to train consistently. I don't know about IM training but marathon training seems to be designed to wear you down in the build and base phases so that you can build yourself back up before the race prep and taper phases.

Right now I am in the early weeks of training for Boulder and trained 11+ hours last week. I know that it will take a lot more will and work when I am training 16-20 hours per week but I look forward to the challenge.
2014-04-16 2:43 PM

User image

Originally posted by summerk

I have written a letter on my blog to IMTX that sums up my feelings so far! Not that I'm not loving training, it is just sometimes hard (I know that's what makes it IM). Just wanted to share!

Dear Ironman Texas,

I have been training for you for 6 weeks and you are always on my mind. Although the physical training is tough the mental aspect of training is tougher. I think about you constantly, I think about you when I’m working, eating, sleeping, resting, hanging out with friends and family. I take you into consideration when making most decisions. For example, do I really want to eat those potato chips, or will I regret it on my 2 hour run this afternoon? No, I don’t want to go shopping because I need to rest and stay off my feet. On Saturday night, no I don’t want to stay up late and have a glass of wine; I have a 4 hour bike ride tomorrow!

Although I’m enjoying this close relationship I’m already looking forward to parting ways with you on May 18, 2014.

Sincerely,
The Rustic Runner

Um, I hear you 100% and I have never even done an IM. I have been this way since I fell in love with the sport of triathlon about
7 years ago. Once I placed in my first Olympic in my age group I was hooked and my family gets tired of hearing about it. I eat, sleep,
breathe triathlon. I try to get it off the brain, but I cannot! Doing my first IM in November and I am currently training for a HIM in July.
I have been mentally training since I got into IMFL a few months ago! It's crazy. Hang in there and try to stay tough mentally. The part
about not staying up late drives my husband insane! I have one night a week that I make a point to stay up a little later (10:30), drink
some wine, make something fun for dinner, and rent movies, hang with neighbors, play games, etc. That seems to keep everyone
a little bit happier! I call it THIRSTY THURSDAY.
2014-04-22 10:09 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
IMTX is hands down one of my favorite races. Yes the training is hard, yes it's going to be hot, yes it's going to hurt.... but when you cross the finish line and hear Mike shout "You are an Ironman" it makes EVERYTHING worth it.

Enjoy your training, let it remind you that you're doing something extraordinary!

I wish I could be there with all of you IMTX people this year, but I've got Canada, Tahoe and Arizona this year! Have a fantastic race RusticRunner!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental aspects of IM training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mental Training

Started by Lonnie82
Views: 1813 Posts: 10

2012-06-10 6:28 AM brown_dog_us

First IM - Mental Strength. Pages: 1 2

Started by lazy2pro
Views: 4765 Posts: 38

2011-01-10 4:09 PM Baowolf

The mental game of Ironman Training and IM itself Pages: 1 2

Started by trihardathena
Views: 2996 Posts: 30

2009-07-06 7:27 AM jonathan22

Mental toolbox for IM racing and training Pages: 1 2

Started by KathyG
Views: 3874 Posts: 50

2008-05-09 11:13 PM erodda

1/2 IM as training 4 weeks before IM

Started by prof40
Views: 1380 Posts: 4

2014-02-26 3:44 PM jonnyo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : May 11, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
I take for granted getting to train and how fortunate I am to have the health that I have. Life…it doesn’t seem fair and it’s not always fair.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I had a great experience being a volunteer, but used the time to educate myself on anything that could allow me to have a better race or pass something on to the readers at BT.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.

date : August 31, 2004
Bikes need to be treated as vehicles by those who ride them.