General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why DONT you have a coach? (please vote) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

Why DONT you have a coach? (please vote)
OptionResults
I'd like one but it's too expensive87 Votes - [53.37%]
What do I need a coach for?31 Votes - [19.02%]
I enjoy writing my own plans23 Votes - [14.11%]
I use a pre-made plan12 Votes - [7.36%]
I use a custom training plan but not a coach (like BT Gold)3 Votes - [1.84%]
Coaches are dumb7 Votes - [4.29%]

2014-02-25 2:18 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: Why DONT you have a coach? (please vote)
Hey all, I am doing a webinar Thursday night about self-coaching and I would like to sound a little bit intelligent.

If you could share with me the reason you do NOT have a coach and are self-coached, please vote in the poll!

Feel free to add any other major reasons if yours is not listed. If you DO have a coach I posted a separate thread! THanks.

2014-02-25 4:01 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Why DONT you have a coach? (please vote)
I clicked "expense", but it's not that simple. It might have to do with the fact that to my knowledge there are no tri coaches in Vietnam! I could do online coaching but I'm more of a face-to-face kind of person. I feel like I have such an unusual background and training situation that trying to work with someone who only knew me online would be quite difficult.

Some other major reasons are expense and personality/approach to training. I do have the $ to spare, marginally, but my field of work has little long term job security, and it's always possible I'd have to return to the US long-term due to family issues, with questionable job prospects, so I tend to save as much as possible. Just can't justify the expense for a hobby that's already pricey.

Personality--I'm very self-motivated and self-disciplined, and always been that way. I trained for my first marathon and Olympic Trials qualification solo, with my own plans, as a teenager. I don't need a coach to provide structure and motivation for my training. I can write a plan and stick to it unless really ill. I have pretty good judgment about when to follow/not follow the plan and what my body needs. It comes from being in endurance sports a long time (since age 10), having some outstanding coaches who shared their knowledge, some coaching background myself (run and swim), and research. Definitely don't have the expertise of a professional coach, but I'm not clueless either (except about biking LOL).

Related to that--a big part of my job is short and long-range planning, and modifying plans as needed while executing them. (I'm a teacher.) I'm held accountable for the results. Somehow getting and receiving a written plan, and having to report back to a coach, would really make training seem like a job. I'm not sure how that's different than writing my own plan and following it but it would feel that way to me!

That being said, I have had coaches in the past, esp. for swimming, and would prefer to swim with a coach (live, not online) and master's group if one were available, but it isn't here. I also worked with a coach when training for the Olympic Trials marathon, and really benefited from that. I'm sometimes not an easy athlete to coach (I have unusually distinct strengths and weaknesses, maybe, and I always want to know WHY we're doing something the way we are), but I have had a few outstanding coach-athlete relationships that really "clicked". I think a coach can be a great asset IF the relationship works well; if it doesn't, I can do a better job myself.
2014-02-25 4:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I tried to add a new option that Most coaches are scams, but it wouldn't let me. I'm not trying to offend anyone here who is a coach, believe me. If you're reading this, you probably have just demonstrated that you care more about your job than most of your colleagues. There aren't that many coaches
around my area, but the ones that are charge silly amounts of money for very little. I know one whose plans are exactly the same regardless of your time or background. Another has no formal education and pontificates on any topic as a subject matter expert, often misleading with half or wrong information. The best one I know is so busy training himself he can't take clients, at least he's honest about it. Yet another has exactly zero clients after multiple years of bad fits, injured athletes, and burnt bridges.

I hear lies, I see half hearted plans, lack of communication, watch client turnover churn, and I wonder who these people think they are. I know some of the back stories, and they aren't good. Most of them don't like each other, on top of it. Funny that. Got $500 and the Triathlete Training Bible? Become a coach! Of course, not all are like this. But a good lot are, and it's sad.

Or, listen to everything, ask everything, be your own laboratory, filter the stuff that works for you and the stuff that doesn't, share your stories as personal experiences and warn others of their falls, and be an asset to the sport. Don't part people from their money and foster a love for an active lifestyle that lasts a lifetime. If you're routinely winning races and considering going pro, you're possibly in a place where a good coach makes sense. Possibly.
2014-02-25 5:23 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I've had 3 coaches over the years and they have all been great. I've truly learned a lot from each and every one of them. Currently, I'm self coached. I'm getting back from a couple of injuries, so this year will be a re-build. Since I have to be very flexible and really pay close attention of what my body can handle at any given moment, I don't think that fits well with a coach and a long-term plan. Right now, I'm training when I can, but there's days I've planned a run and my stress fracture area just hurts, so I have to call it quits. Other days, I feel great and I push it a bit more than planned.
2014-02-25 5:40 AM
in reply to: #4955099

User image

Elite
Sorry,, did not select because choices are not formatted on my phone correctly.

For me its a combination. With kids, home, work expenses I cannot justify spending $225-250( avg cost around here) just to get faster.

I feel with ex. Phys / med background I know enough to get myself to starting and finish lines and still get faster albeit maybe at a slower rate of time, but honestly I feel that is more from other training limiters and not whether I have a coach.

Plus it was very gratifying getting to the IMLp finish line self coaching and the upcoming challenge AC.

So would I be a more accomplished Triathlete with a coach?? Probably, but it works for me without one.
2014-02-25 5:43 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Extreme Veteran
I could not add an option either.

I started off self coached but spent a ton of time reading and gathering information. The biggest problem is that it is quite contradictory and it's hard to figure out the truth.

After 3 years I had a bit of a breakthrough. I started winning provincial races and even won a 70.3 branded event for my AG. To me this justified getting a coach to continue improving.

I had a great coach, one of the best. He did confirm that what I was doing was right.
This year I am going solo again with some big differences to see if they make a difference.

Figuring out this sport by trial and error is a time consuming process. Some find it fun, some get frustrated. While I agree there are some questionable coaches out there, I would bet there are as many people investing long hours with suboptimal efficiency. Finding a good coach isn't easy. Doing it on your own isn't either.

2014-02-25 5:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by fisherman76

I tried to add a new option that Most coaches are scams, but it wouldn't let me. I'm not trying to offend anyone here who is a coach, believe me. If you're reading this, you probably have just demonstrated that you care more about your job than most of your colleagues. There aren't that many coaches
around my area, but the ones that are charge silly amounts of money for very little. I know one whose plans are exactly the same regardless of your time or background. Another has no formal education and pontificates on any topic as a subject matter expert, often misleading with half or wrong information. The best one I know is so busy training himself he can't take clients, at least he's honest about it. Yet another has exactly zero clients after multiple years of bad fits, injured athletes, and burnt bridges.

I hear lies, I see half hearted plans, lack of communication, watch client turnover churn, and I wonder who these people think they are. I know some of the back stories, and they aren't good. Most of them don't like each other, on top of it. Funny that. Got $500 and the Triathlete Training Bible? Become a coach! Of course, not all are like this. But a good lot are, and it's sad.

Or, listen to everything, ask everything, be your own laboratory, filter the stuff that works for you and the stuff that doesn't, share your stories as personal experiences and warn others of their falls, and be an asset to the sport. Don't part people from their money and foster a love for an active lifestyle that lasts a lifetime. If you're routinely winning races and considering going pro, you're possibly in a place where a good coach makes sense. Possibly.

i like your guts

Edited by strykergt 2014-02-25 5:49 AM

(lol.gif)

Attachments
----------------
lol.gif (130KB - 8 downloads)
2014-02-25 6:17 AM

User image

I tried to add my own and it wouldn't let me.

I'm in this for fun and not all that interested in a coach.

2014-02-25 6:40 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by DanielG I tried to add my own and it wouldn't let me. I'm in this for fun and not all that interested in a coach.

This is what I was thinking. Swim, bike, run is an emotional outlet as much as physical for me. I don't always like to be distracted with all the gadgets "I think" a coach would need me to wear to assess my training (HR monitors, Garmins, cadence monitors). I have it all but half the time I don't turn it on or the battery is dead or I really don't care what it says!  Most of the time I just want to swim or bike or run because it makes me happy. There is a small window of one part of year (summer) that I actually want to race. Not worth the effort to try to hire someone I trust, find times to communicate, download data etc. Basically I guess it just seems to fussy *for me*.  I bought 4 sessions with a personal trainer back in December and have only used 2 of them because it's too complicated for me to work around her schedule.

Also, I know this does not reflect on all coaches and if I were going to hire anyone it would hands down be one of the wonderful coaches I see posting on BT BUT, a friend of mine hired an online coach last summer to prepare her for her first tri. Two nights before the race she was texting me with all the questions about what to wear, how does transition work, can I change my shorts after the bike etc etc. Why was her coach not talking to her about all of this? She went to cycling class all summer and only had her bike outside on the road a few times before the race (and I sold her my road bike in April so there was no reason to be in cycling class). No offense to anyone and I'm not picking on her but that just left me scratching my head wondering what she was paying for all this time.

If I were to get a coach, and I have thought about it, it would be for the purpose of helping me train without injury. That is what I have the most trouble with.

2014-02-25 6:48 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I checked "what do I need a coach for"

I'm not a pro, this is a hobby. I like how I feel when in good shape and signing up for tri's is a good way to motivate me. Any coach looking at me would turn right to my run and tell me I need to run more. Why pay for what I already know.

If my goals change and I want to qualify for Kona, maybe I would get one.
2014-02-25 7:32 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

This post may ultimately be more suitable for your thread about why people DO have a coach, Suzanne, but I'm sharing it here, because this thread has more discussion so far.  If no one objects, I may cross post it to that thread too.

I find the replies very interesting.  Personally, they reinforce my philosophy as a coach and provide confidence that I'm in the right niche to help the most people.

I don't coach a single elite.  All of my clients are BOP to FOMOP (or is that BOFOP?).  I work with athletes who have busy family and work schedules, and don't have the time to educate themselves nor plan all of their own training.  They want to enjoy the sport and not worry about what to do when life derails the plan (they text me, and I make changes to their schedule on the fly).  They want to go out and have fun with whatever training sessions are in their daily email.  They want to avoid injuries by having an objective observer rein them in when then need it.  They want the comfort of knowing I'm always there looking over their shoulder, offering words of encouragement, education, and guidance.  They benefit by not worrying about anything at all about the sport, and focusing exclusively on the enjoyment they get from it.  Yes, along the way, they're getting faster, but that's not their only goal.

In the end, I view my primary mission as a coach is to help my clients enjoy the sport more.  For some this only means getting faster, but for many this means taking away the concerns and worries while doing the things they may find boring, such as reading books, articles on studies, attending conferences, planning all their training, and designing training sessions that are both fun and effective.

2014-02-25 7:37 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by audiojan I've had 3 coaches over the years and they have all been great. I've truly learned a lot from each and every one of them. Currently, I'm self coached. I'm getting back from a couple of injuries, so this year will be a re-build. Since I have to be very flexible and really pay close attention of what my body can handle at any given moment, I don't think that fits well with a coach and a long-term plan. Right now, I'm training when I can, but there's days I've planned a run and my stress fracture area just hurts, so I have to call it quits. Other days, I feel great and I push it a bit more than planned.

My reasoning for not having a coach is very similar.  I spent a year not running due to an injury, so this year is all about rebuilding.  If I had a coach, it would be to figure out how to balance everything to peak at the right time and reach my potential.  That is currently not possible as my running is not in a place to be doing anything other than purely base training, and I want control over that.  I may try coaching at some point in the future, but with my current abilities / limitations right now, it's not worth the money I'd be spending. 

2014-02-25 7:38 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Originally posted by strykergt
i like your guts

What took guts to post what I did?
2014-02-25 8:19 AM

Im sure I could benefit from a coach but the cost is too much and my income is too little. I also feel that with enough research I can self coach just as effectively.
I am just an age grouper and this is a hobby to help me stay fit.
2014-02-25 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I voted "Why do I need a coach?", but a few additional thoughts:

- I'm a very self-motivated person. I follow my own marathon plans, prefer training alone, etc. Maybe it's a little conceited, but I like knowing that I and I alone am responsible for my achievements.
- I'm already held accountable for work, and having to "report" to someone kind of takes away the fun.
- My crowning achievement is a second-place AG award. When I'm thinking about quitting my job to train to KQ (ie, never), then we'll talk coaching.
2014-02-25 9:04 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The engineer in me enjoys learning the technical components to developing a training plan.  Figuring out what makes me faster and more effective in training is part of the fun.

2014-02-25 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

I voted "Why do I need a coach?", but a few additional thoughts:

- I'm a very self-motivated person. I follow my own marathon plans, prefer training alone, etc. Maybe it's a little conceited, but I like knowing that I and I alone am responsible for my achievements.
- I'm already held accountable for work, and having to "report" to someone kind of takes away the fun.
- My crowning achievement is a second-place AG award. When I'm thinking about quitting my job to train to KQ (ie, never), then we'll talk coaching.

These are my thoughts exactly.

Unlike many new to triathlon I like doing the research and formulating my own plan. When I first started running marathons I put together a plan to BQ in my third marathon. I researched Marathon plans and wrote a hybrid plan that worked for my busy lifestyle. I look at doing my first IM the same way, I have a plan and goal that suits my life for the next 24 weeks and hope to do my best on August 3rd.

I am not trying to KQ but have a realistic goal based upon what I think my fitness will be. If I ever try to KQ I would possibly look at getting a coach.
2014-02-25 9:13 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by strykergt
i like your guts

What took guts to post what I did?

No pretenses no nothing just plain blunted Truth! :)

specifically i like what you said:

the ones that are charge silly amounts of money for very little.

plans are exactly the same regardless of your time or background

no formal education and pontificates on any topic as a subject matter expert, often misleading with half or wrong information.

zero clients after multiple years of bad fits, injured athletes, and burnt bridges

I hear lies, I see half hearted plans, lack of communication, watch client turnover churn, and I wonder who these people think they are.

Got $500 and the Triathlete Training Bible? Become a coach!

Amen!

Edited by strykergt 2014-02-25 9:20 AM
2014-02-25 9:36 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I tried to add the option "Bad experience with previous coach".

I tried working with a local coach my second year doing triathlons.  He was a moderately successful and popular local athlete who had recently obtained his USAT level one certification and was trying to build a coaching practice. I had previously attended some seminars he conducted on HR training and pace line riding and he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Our deal was for an initial consultation, a plan targeted to my planned races, and a weekly email with workouts for the coming week along with feedback on my workouts from the previous week.  Trying to be helpful to a guy starting out (but showing bad judgement on my part) I pre-paid him for the year. 

Started out OK, but after the first month the emails stopped coming on a timely basis.  If I sent him a friendly reminder, then the common excuse was "computer problems" and he would send me something that he pulled from a training DB that didn't make any sense for me at all.  I finally got tired of chasing him down and after I stopped sending him reminders, the workout emails stopped coming altogether. 

In the meantime I had been educating myself on training methods, primarily using Joe Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible.  I even attended one of Friel's weekend workshops.

I'm a very analytical/planning type and decided just to go ahead on my own.  

I've looked at some online coaching options from time to time, but the prices seem to be a bit exorbitant, particularly for plans associated with "name" coaches.  At times I think some objective feedback might be helpful, but am reluctant to throw good money after bad at this point. 

It also becomes a bit of a value judgement as my primary objectives for participating in triathlon are for health, enjoyment & recreation.  My relatively modest performance goals have been to advance from the BOP to be a consistent MOPer in my AG.  Most of my improvement I attribute simply to consistency in my training and the resulting increase in my overall level of fitness, not sophisticated training methods.

Mark

2014-02-25 9:39 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Elite
I loved having a coach the past three years for an ironman, but the price has gone up $25 each year per month, and so has all of my other bills, but not my salary. I just can't justify $225/month when I don't have any savings
2014-02-25 9:45 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
The main reason is that I can't afford one. I don't even have a TT bike or Power Meter yet and the TT bike is number one priority. But I will say this, I swim, bike and run with other athletes, some are coaches and with the advice I get from them and online forums I can't really say I'm "self coached" either. I have no coach, but MANY mentors.

2014-02-25 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by fisherman76 Got $500 and the Triathlete Training Bible? Become a coach!

USAT level 1 certification is a clinic, a background check, and an online exam.  "The clinic is a two day lecture based clinic with opportunities to learn and network. Participants must attend the entire clinic in order to be eligible for certification. The minimum age for participation is 18. The fee is $555 which includes lunch for the two full days of the clinic and the registration fees"

That's pretty min-bar IMHO, but people have to start somewhere after all.

Edited by brucemorgan 2014-02-25 9:47 AM
2014-02-25 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown I voted "Why do I need a coach?", but a few additional thoughts: - I'm a very self-motivated person. I follow my own marathon plans, prefer training alone, etc. Maybe it's a little conceited, but I like knowing that I and I alone am responsible for my achievements. - I'm already held accountable for work, and having to "report" to someone kind of takes away the fun. -

This resonates with me, especially the "report" to someone.  I hadn't thought of that before, but I recall when I did have a coach that is what sort of bugged me. Thanks for posting.

Also, one other thing, at least in my experience and stories from friends: coaches bring DRAMA I don't need. 

Drama like personal issues causing scheduling issues (have to move the meeting because little Billy had a bad day at school so Mom has to visit the school). 

Drama like recommending fitters, chiropractors, etc and getting upset if you went somewhere else (I suspect a kickback aka referral arrangement). 

Drama like clearly being second fiddle to the more hard-core athletes. Some coaches clearly focus on their Kona-bound athletes, but need a bunch of BOP and MOP as well as IM bucket-listers on their roster to pay the bills. So as a coach, they build their reputation on the Kona-bound folks, use that to sell themselves to regular Joe Ironman, but Joe doesn't actually get the level of attention & focus he thought he'd get.

Or big drama. Locally there was a married couple that both coached. The husband had an affair with one of his coached athletes, the wife found out, they got divorced, both continued coaching, you had to pick which way you were going to go.  Who needs that?

2014-02-25 10:05 AM

User image

I mostly do sprints and oly's so I like putting together my own plan and feel pretty comfortable doing it.  Could I do a little better with a coach, probably but not enough to justify the cost.

For me, the cost vs no time working together in person is a problem.  If I am hiring a coach and my weakness is running I want someone who is going to meet me at the track and work on  mechanics and such.  Emails would only get me so far.  I"ve checked out running coaches to see what it would cost for a single sport thinking that would get me some face time.  As soon as that comes up the price skyrockets.  It's cheaper to join a runnng club and pick their brains.

2014-02-25 10:15 AM

User image

I've run into a couple more "why don't you have a coach" things:

I've gotten so I don't write that I'm happy about my time in the HIM or IM races. Some "coach" forever writes back something like "That means you could have done better if you had..." Y'know, I honestly don't give a damn. I'm not in it to "do better" I'm in it to enjoy myself. Hell, most of the time I don't even really care if I finish, I just enjoy the races, the crowds, the companionship and such. I'm a bit pig headed enough that I've pretty much always finished within the time limit, though. If I wanted the comments about what YOU think I could or could not have done, I would have asked. I used to post times and ability to show other beginners they are definitely not alone with their ability. God forbid I should be happy with just finishing the thing.

Oh and lately

Having an organ removed really changes how one can work out and even IF one can work out on a lot of days. Sorry, can't really tell you if I'm going to be able to do much of anything next Wed, Thur, Fri or if I'll feel like I can scale the Chrysler building without a safety net. Odds are a physical therapist would do better than a coach but even that I'm happy with my recovery and I've got a few milestones to hit this year that I've already got a plan to meet.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why DONT you have a coach? (please vote) Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Why dont you like CF or CFE?

Started by mkarr0110
Views: 1828 Posts: 18

2009-09-28 6:27 PM mkarr0110

Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by Rocket Man
Views: 9523 Posts: 150

2008-03-24 3:37 PM kenail

Mike R and other coaches- convince why I need a coach rather than a plan

Started by xterratri
Views: 2191 Posts: 23

2006-12-21 1:57 PM gsmacleod

Tips Please - Do's and Dont's for First Tri

Started by CountyFox
Views: 1388 Posts: 18

2006-08-03 9:08 AM Gwendal

I am having some swimming issues...help, please.

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 1543 Posts: 8

2005-01-11 10:27 AM kepola
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.
comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.

date : October 31, 2004
author : infosteward
Buried beneath election rhetoric about stem-cell research, gender in marriage and taxes are issues that could seriously affect your newfound hobby – triathlons.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.