of 8

2014-03-17 3:30 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: 2014 Garden Thread

Originally posted by cgregg

Originally posted by crimefighter2 Do you guys ever use seeds from the previous year? I never use all I buy and thinking I might try that this year.

Nearly every year.  I've never had a problem with this even with seeds more than a few years old.

My aquaponics build is nearing completion. By next weekend at latest (free time is limited) I should be doing my first water test and beginning to cycle the water.

The framing is finished, and the majority of the plumbing is done.  Just a wee bit more plumbing and then it's time to start filling it up and putting some plants in it.  Yes, there will be pictures.

This sounds like serious infrastructure.  Looking forward to the pics!

2014-03-18 5:37 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Extreme Veteran
So I have not had time to read through everyone else fun plans but thought I would add my own. I built my wife 3 - 4 ft L, x 8 inch W x 8 inch deep planter boxes to sit on our railing on our deck. This year she is going to use those to plant all of our herbs in along with some catgrass on the end of each one (since the cat will get into them anyway, might as well give him something ok to munch on occassionally). In addition to that I have our 2 8ft x 4 ft raised beds that were pretty productive last year and I am adding in a 3rd raised bed of the same size. the plan is to grow more variety especially adding the extra room and freeing up the space that the herbs were taking. we have not planned everything yet but I know for sure we will do carrots, peas, beans, tomatos, cucumber, lettuce, onions, garlic, peppers, radishes and squash (likely multiple varieties of each). it should be a good year for it I hope.

Finally we need to get new strawberry plants as we did not get enough runners in our strawberry patch last year to fill it up this year. Strawberries from your own garden are delicious. I am thinking about doing a raspberry or blueberry bush somewhere but I am running out of good yard space for it.
2014-03-18 7:11 PM
in reply to: bel83

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by bel83 So I have not had time to read through everyone else fun plans but thought I would add my own. I built my wife 3 - 4 ft L, x 8 inch W x 8 inch deep planter boxes to sit on our railing on our deck. This year she is going to use those to plant all of our herbs in along with some catgrass on the end of each one (since the cat will get into them anyway, might as well give him something ok to munch on occassionally). In addition to that I have our 2 8ft x 4 ft raised beds that were pretty productive last year and I am adding in a 3rd raised bed of the same size. the plan is to grow more variety especially adding the extra room and freeing up the space that the herbs were taking. we have not planned everything yet but I know for sure we will do carrots, peas, beans, tomatos, cucumber, lettuce, onions, garlic, peppers, radishes and squash (likely multiple varieties of each). it should be a good year for it I hope. Finally we need to get new strawberry plants as we did not get enough runners in our strawberry patch last year to fill it up this year. Strawberries from your own garden are delicious. I am thinking about doing a raspberry or blueberry bush somewhere but I am running out of good yard space for it.

Good stuff!  You grow things I've struggled with--onions and carrots.  I've heard raised beds are really good for those.What herbs do you grow?I love home-grown strawberries too :) The first week of strawberry season my kids are so eager they're eating whitish-pink ones.

And Seattle?  You're Zone 8?  Do blueberries grow well in Zone 8?

2014-03-19 7:33 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I think you guys will get a kick out of this--we've made it to the "big time"

!http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/agrarian-garden/

$1500 for a chicken coop!  Bwahahahaha

2014-03-19 8:55 AM

User image

Elite
Reno
Originally posted by switch

and the $90 "predator kit "? It's a roll of mesh with a couple of nails!!!

2014-03-19 9:05 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by bootygirl

and the $90 "predator kit "? It's a roll of mesh with a couple of nails!!!

The whole thing just slays me. 

AND PEOPLE BUY IT!

*facepalm*

2014-03-19 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by bel83 So I have not had time to read through everyone else fun plans but thought I would add my own. I built my wife 3 - 4 ft L, x 8 inch W x 8 inch deep planter boxes to sit on our railing on our deck. This year she is going to use those to plant all of our herbs in along with some catgrass on the end of each one (since the cat will get into them anyway, might as well give him something ok to munch on occassionally). In addition to that I have our 2 8ft x 4 ft raised beds that were pretty productive last year and I am adding in a 3rd raised bed of the same size. the plan is to grow more variety especially adding the extra room and freeing up the space that the herbs were taking. we have not planned everything yet but I know for sure we will do carrots, peas, beans, tomatos, cucumber, lettuce, onions, garlic, peppers, radishes and squash (likely multiple varieties of each). it should be a good year for it I hope. Finally we need to get new strawberry plants as we did not get enough runners in our strawberry patch last year to fill it up this year. Strawberries from your own garden are delicious. I am thinking about doing a raspberry or blueberry bush somewhere but I am running out of good yard space for it.

Good stuff!  You grow things I've struggled with--onions and carrots.  I've heard raised beds are really good for those.What herbs do you grow?I love home-grown strawberries too The first week of strawberry season my kids are so eager they're eating whitish-pink ones.

Our carrots grew like weeds last year and we still have onions growing in our beds that we cleaned out and covered for the winter so they just kind of work - at least last year they did. As for herbs last year it was just basil, cilantro and Oregano but with the new rail beds on the deck I am thinking we will do that plus some mint, thyme, and parsley at the minimum. then it will just be whatever we can find seeds for that sounds interesting. last year was fantastic to make home made salsa multiple times for parties with all the ingrediants harvested from our own garden.

As for blueberries I have seen wild plants around the area so I know a certain type of them will grow, it is just the question of whether my yard has the right conditions (I live on a steep hillside with lots of tall fir trees, a few evergreens, and a few maple trees so it is a high shade environment for most of it. we put our Garden in the one spot that gets consistant sun in the summer but even that is only in the morning early afternoon before it gets shaded)
2014-03-19 10:14 AM
in reply to: bel83

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by bel83

Good stuff!  You grow things I've struggled with--onions and carrots.  I've heard raised beds are really good for those.What herbs do you grow?I love home-grown strawberries too :) The first week of strawberry season my kids are so eager they're eating whitish-pink ones.

Our carrots grew like weeds last year and we still have onions growing in our beds that we cleaned out and covered for the winter so they just kind of work - at least last year they did. As for herbs last year it was just basil, cilantro and Oregano but with the new rail beds on the deck I am thinking we will do that plus some mint, thyme, and parsley at the minimum. then it will just be whatever we can find seeds for that sounds interesting. last year was fantastic to make home made salsa multiple times for parties with all the ingrediants harvested from our own garden. As for blueberries I have seen wild plants around the area so I know a certain type of them will grow, it is just the question of whether my yard has the right conditions (I live on a steep hillside with lots of tall fir trees, a few evergreens, and a few maple trees so it is a high shade environment for most of it. we put our Garden in the one spot that gets consistant sun in the summer but even that is only in the morning early afternoon before it gets shaded)

The herbs sound great!  We have a stretch of cilantro that self-seeds every year, and when we till the garden in the spring, the most amazing fresh cilantro sent fills the air!

Blueberries would like the acic soil  from the evergreens, but IME they need a good amount of sun to bear.

Have you considered a serviceberry? http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/the-amazing-serviceberry.aspx#axzz2wQCmGROq

2014-03-19 10:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Boise

I'm only $200 into this so far. I did have some leftover material and I have received a donation of cedar shakes to put on the exterior. It will probably be another $100 to finish off the chicken run.

Also here is a picture of my indoor starts.

Edited by JoshR 2014-03-19 10:57 AM

(Coop frame.jpg)

(Coop.jpg)

(Seed starts.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Coop frame.jpg (64KB - 3 downloads)
Coop.jpg (164KB - 3 downloads)
Seed starts.jpg (74KB - 6 downloads)
2014-03-19 3:41 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Regular
LHOTP

That's what I'm talkin about Josh! 

Coop looks great.  Did you use plans, or did you design the coop yourself? 

The first few iterations of our coops, well, "chicken tractors" were pretty rag-tag, but they were valuable learning experiences.

Also love starting seeds in egg cartons.  Slick.

2014-03-19 3:45 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

The first few iterations of our coops, well, "chicken tractors" were pretty rag-tag, but they were valuable learning experiences.

I drew up a little diagram, started building it, realized all the stuff I screwed up, improvised and am now waiting to finish building my fence (hopefully in 2 weekends) so I can go stuff the coop over into the corner and finish it all up.

2014-03-19 3:58 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by JoshR

I drew up a little diagram, started building it, realized all the stuff I screwed up, improvised and am now waiting to finish building my fence (hopefully in 2 weekends) so I can go stuff the coop over into the corner and finish it all up.

You just described every building project I have ever undertaken. 

You are awfully ambitious for a <1 month old under your roof.  Much respect.

2014-03-19 5:06 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by crimefighter2 Do you guys ever use seeds from the previous year? I never use all I buy and thinking I might try that this year.

Nearly every year.  I've never had a problem with this even with seeds more than a few years old.

My aquaponics build is nearing completion. By next weekend at latest (free time is limited) I should be doing my first water test and beginning to cycle the water.

The framing is finished, and the majority of the plumbing is done.  Just a wee bit more plumbing and then it's time to start filling it up and putting some plants in it.  Yes, there will be pictures.

You know that quote from Anchorman "Woah, that got out of hand pretty quick"?

Yeah, that's kinda how this project went, hehe.  It started with the simple idea of adding some indoor green space with natural spectrum lighting, and it has since evolved into a serious engineering project with a 54 gallon sump, two 25 gallon grow beds, 20 gallon fish tank, 10 gallon deep water culture bed, a 263 gallon per hour water pump, a boatload of 2x4's, and enough PVC to plumb a public restroom.

if nothing else, however, it has been fun to build.  The last bits of plumbing have taken longer than expected, so its first water test won't be until this Saturday.

Fingers crossed, no leaks, no catastrophic failures!

2014-03-19 5:11 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Regular
LHOTP

You know that quote from Anchorman "Woah, that got out of hand pretty quick"?

Yeah, that's kinda how this project went, hehe.  It started with the simple idea of adding some indoor green space with natural spectrum lighting, and it has since evolved into a serious engineering project with a 54 gallon sump, two 25 gallon grow beds, 20 gallon fish tank, 10 gallon deep water culture bed, a 263 gallon per hour water pump, a boatload of 2x4's, and enough PVC to plumb a public restroom.

if nothing else, however, it has been fun to build.  The last bits of plumbing have taken longer than expected, so its first water test won't be until this Saturday.

Fingers crossed, no leaks, no catastrophic failures! :)

"Don't act like you're not impressed"... with your set up, of course :)

You're having fun, and you've got a kisk-azz grow system.  What could possibly go wrong?

PICS MAN!

2014-03-21 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by bel83

Good stuff!  You grow things I've struggled with--onions and carrots.  I've heard raised beds are really good for those.What herbs do you grow?I love home-grown strawberries too The first week of strawberry season my kids are so eager they're eating whitish-pink ones.

Our carrots grew like weeds last year and we still have onions growing in our beds that we cleaned out and covered for the winter so they just kind of work - at least last year they did. As for herbs last year it was just basil, cilantro and Oregano but with the new rail beds on the deck I am thinking we will do that plus some mint, thyme, and parsley at the minimum. then it will just be whatever we can find seeds for that sounds interesting. last year was fantastic to make home made salsa multiple times for parties with all the ingrediants harvested from our own garden. As for blueberries I have seen wild plants around the area so I know a certain type of them will grow, it is just the question of whether my yard has the right conditions (I live on a steep hillside with lots of tall fir trees, a few evergreens, and a few maple trees so it is a high shade environment for most of it. we put our Garden in the one spot that gets consistant sun in the summer but even that is only in the morning early afternoon before it gets shaded)

The herbs sound great!  We have a stretch of cilantro that self-seeds every year, and when we till the garden in the spring, the most amazing fresh cilantro sent fills the air!

Blueberries would like the acic soil  from the evergreens, but IME they need a good amount of sun to bear.

Have you considered a serviceberry? http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/the-amazing-serviceberry.aspx#axzz2wQCmGROq

I have never seen that berry before as one purposefully grown though I have seen a few bushes on my hikes that I am guessing are the same thing.

We recently decided to divide up our vegetable growing operation recently with one of our friends who lives about 5 minutes away. Their yard gets full sun almost all day and is great for growing some things but has killed some of their other plants so we are going to try and split up who grows what so we can maximize our plantings. (For instance they can grow Corn but we cannot, where as our set up and yard is perfect for zucchini and cucumber and their plants died last year. )
2014-03-25 9:49 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Hi! My weekly update - the bricks made it into place for the main back yard bed along the fence. I have since stained the tops rusty, and the leaves and coffee filter layer has been stomped down flat. Mr Booty wheel barrowed the blocks all around to the back yard and put them in stacks, but left the engineering and brick laying to me while he went to a gun show. (Can we log "brick laying" to the logs?). On sat night I was struggling to move. Stakes, strings and a level were used, of course. By the time I finished, I have an "L" shape of 86 sq ft in two blocks high. For reference, the long edge of the bed runs roughly N-S, with my yard on the east east side. We backed away from three blocks, and now have blocks for a 2nd bed or something - right in the middle where the best sun is, for peppers. I need to acquire some more rebar to secure it at intervals, but filled with dirt, the structure seems sound. By the time I toss in the dirt from my former mounded beds, and then my own compost, I still have about 14 inches of dirt to buy and fill in. I'm shopping around. "Mel's mix" will run me a fair amount. (Not telling Mr. booty about that cost). I am not so sure I am sold on the "soilless" soil for something this big. Suggestions welcome.

. In the center of the yard, not in the bed, to the far end of the "L", will go a fruit tree. Apple or peach.

I am not keeping the beds for 100% veggies - looking to mix in some things to have something going the other 7-8 months of the year so it doesn't look so dismal. The kale palm trees are my only year long plant right now! I am looking around my neighborhood and not seeing a lot of options. Grasses that row tall, rosemary, maybe some succulents that can survive a Reno winter, if we ever have one again. (In the '70's all weekend and my freckles are OUT). I am not sold on "lawn" here, but maybe there are some grasses I could plant in the ground that would not take a lot of water. I bought the Sunset Small Yard Makeover mag, and I gots big ideas!

Edited by bootygirl 2014-03-25 9:56 PM

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (35KB - 2 downloads)
image.jpg (30KB - 5 downloads)

2014-03-26 7:43 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Firstly, hellz yes you can log "brick laying" under STRENGTH!

:)

That bed is so, so awesome.  I am looking forward to more pics as you start planting.

Our county landfill sells compost for $20/ton (had been $10 a ton until this year and we have hired dump trucks to bring us loads).  I don't know if other places have deals like this, but it might be worth checking out. 

NXS will be a great resource for info on soil, but I wonder if you should fill the bottom layer with something less expensive, but still good drainage, and then put your good soil and compost on top.  I bet you only need 8" or so of good soil. So maybe you could do sand or fill dirt (sometimes construction sites have dirt that they want to put somewhere, they might even bring it to you).

2014-03-27 4:23 PM

New user
Originally posted by bootygirl

Hi! My weekly update - the bricks made it into place for the main back yard bed along the fence. I have since stained the tops rusty, and the leaves and coffee filter layer has been stomped down flat. Mr Booty wheel barrowed the blocks all around to the back yard and put them in stacks, but left the engineering and brick laying to me while he went to a gun show. (Can we log "brick laying" to the logs?). On sat night I was struggling to move. Stakes, strings and a level were used, of course. By the time I finished, I have an "L" shape of 86 sq ft in two blocks high. For reference, the long edge of the bed runs roughly N-S, with my yard on the east east side. We backed away from three blocks, and now have blocks for a 2nd bed or something - right in the middle where the best sun is, for peppers. I need to acquire some more rebar to secure it at intervals, but filled with dirt, the structure seems sound. By the time I toss in the dirt from my former mounded beds, and then my own compost, I still have about 14 inches of dirt to buy and fill in. I'm shopping around. "Mel's mix" will run me a fair amount. (Not telling Mr. booty about that cost). I am not so sure I am sold on the "soilless" soil for something this big. Suggestions welcome.

. In the center of the yard, not in the bed, to the far end of the "L", will go a fruit tree. Apple or peach.

I am not keeping the beds for 100% veggies - looking to mix in some things to have something going the other 7-8 months of the year so it doesn't look so dismal. The kale palm trees are my only year long plant right now! I am looking around my neighborhood and not seeing a lot of options. Grasses that row tall, rosemary, maybe some succulents that can survive a Reno winter, if we ever have one again. (In the '70's all weekend and my freckles are OUT). I am not sold on "lawn" here, but maybe there are some grasses I could plant in the ground that would not take a lot of water. I bought the Sunset Small Yard Makeover mag, and I gots big ideas!

First of all the project looks great. If y'all were a little closer I'd have a job for you. The cheapest route for soil is to buy bags of top soil and add to it. Use a ratio of about 2:1 topsoil to whatever you choose to add. Since you already have your own compost, use it, it will greatly improve the topsoil. I am guessing here, but since you live in Reno, your soil has sand so make sure to blend a little in as well. If you run out of your own compost, you can purchase bags to blend with the topsoil or peat will do as well. If going the organic route, a little aged manure goes a long way so be careful. Good luck and let me know if this makes any sense or you have further questions.
2014-03-27 4:24 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by NXS
Originally posted by bootygirl Hi! My weekly update - the bricks made it into place for the main back yard bed along the fence. I have since stained the tops rusty, and the leaves and coffee filter layer has been stomped down flat. Mr Booty wheel barrowed the blocks all around to the back yard and put them in stacks, but left the engineering and brick laying to me while he went to a gun show. (Can we log "brick laying" to the logs?). On sat night I was struggling to move. Stakes, strings and a level were used, of course. By the time I finished, I have an "L" shape of 86 sq ft in two blocks high. For reference, the long edge of the bed runs roughly N-S, with my yard on the east east side. We backed away from three blocks, and now have blocks for a 2nd bed or something - right in the middle where the best sun is, for peppers. I need to acquire some more rebar to secure it at intervals, but filled with dirt, the structure seems sound. By the time I toss in the dirt from my former mounded beds, and then my own compost, I still have about 14 inches of dirt to buy and fill in. I'm shopping around. "Mel's mix" will run me a fair amount. (Not telling Mr. booty about that cost). I am not so sure I am sold on the "soilless" soil for something this big. Suggestions welcome.

First of all the project looks great. If y'all were a little closer I'd have a job for you. The cheapest route for soil is to buy bags of top soil and add to it. Use a ratio of about 2:1 topsoil to whatever you choose to add. Since you already have your own compost, use it, it will greatly improve the topsoil. I am guessing here, but since you live in Reno, your soil has sand so make sure to blend a little in as well. If you run out of your own compost, you can purchase bags to blend with the topsoil or peat will do as well. If going the organic route, a little aged manure goes a long way so be careful. Good luck and let me know if this makes any sense or you have further questions.

But starting from the top down, how many inches of good soil does she (one) need for a raised bed? 

2014-03-27 4:28 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by JoshR

I'm only $200 into this so far. I did have some leftover material and I have received a donation of cedar shakes to put on the exterior. It will probably be another $100 to finish off the chicken run. Also here is a picture of my indoor starts.

This is amazing. I love it!

2014-03-27 4:30 PM

User image

Seattle

We only have a small shady north facing patch that doesn't get any sunlight.

Before some other townhomes went up we got approximately 1.5 hours of afternoon sun and I managed to grow exactly one tomato (no, not a plant, literally one tomato.)

But I can live vicariously through you guys!

I'm thinking about trying to get a spot in one of the p-patches but they are a HOT commodity here and I don't have a ton of time.

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-03-27 4:31 PM

2014-03-27 5:34 PM

New user

Originally posted by NXS
Originally posted by bootygirl Hi! My weekly update - the bricks made it into place for the main back yard bed along the fence. I have since stained the tops rusty, and the leaves and coffee filter layer has been stomped down flat. Mr Booty wheel barrowed the blocks all around to the back yard and put them in stacks, but left the engineering and brick laying to me while he went to a gun show. (Can we log "brick laying" to the logs?). On sat night I was struggling to move. Stakes, strings and a level were used, of course. By the time I finished, I have an "L" shape of 86 sq ft in two blocks high. For reference, the long edge of the bed runs roughly N-S, with my yard on the east east side. We backed away from three blocks, and now have blocks for a 2nd bed or something - right in the middle where the best sun is, for peppers. I need to acquire some more rebar to secure it at intervals, but filled with dirt, the structure seems sound. By the time I toss in the dirt from my former mounded beds, and then my own compost, I still have about 14 inches of dirt to buy and fill in. I'm shopping around. "Mel's mix" will run me a fair amount. (Not telling Mr. booty about that cost). I am not so sure I am sold on the "soilless" soil for something this big. Suggestions welcome.

But starting from the top down, how many inches of good soil does she (one) need for a raised bed? 

I assumed those were 8 inch block for 16 inch beds so personally I would fill them completely. Generally speaking though, 6 to 8 inches would be sufficient unless you get into an extreme ph or heavy clay because you need to break up the soil that is the base of your raised bed for drainage and transition. If she wanted to she could put gravel and sand in the bottom and then her good soil blend on top. That all said, someone much wiser than me once said a good soil is a deep one, which is why I would fill the whole raised bed. Hope this answered your question.
2014-03-28 10:01 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Asalzwed

We only have a small shady north facing patch that doesn't get any sunlight.

Before some other townhomes went up we got approximately 1.5 hours of afternoon sun and I managed to grow exactly one tomato (no, not a plant, literally one tomato.)

But I can live vicariously through you guys!

I'm thinking about trying to get a spot in one of the p-patches but they are a HOT commodity here and I don't have a ton of time.

It is tough when you have to go somewhere to garden.  We tried that one year and it ended up feeling to obligatory.

Is there any place to do a bed at work?  Some of the labs at the hospital have claimed landscaping beds, and then the group gardens the bed through the season. Usually tomatoes and herbs.  I love walking by and seeing what different groups have done.  Maybe even some rooftop space?

2014-03-28 10:05 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

I assumed those were 8 inch block for 16 inch beds so personally I would fill them completely. Generally speaking though, 6 to 8 inches would be sufficient unless you get into an extreme ph or heavy clay because you need to break up the soil that is the base of your raised bed for drainage and transition. If she wanted to she could put gravel and sand in the bottom and then her good soil blend on top. That all said, someone much wiser than me once said a good soil is a deep one, which is why I would fill the whole raised bed. Hope this answered your question.

It does answer my question! I was just thinking that if soil is hard to come by, maybe a compromise for Mary would be to fill in a few of the bottom inches with something cheaper.  I believe you're our resident soils expert :)

2014-03-29 6:53 AM

New user

Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

It does answer my question! I was just thinking that if soil is hard to come by, maybe a compromise for Mary would be to fill in a few of the bottom inches with something cheaper.  I believe you're our resident soils expert

No expert here, just spent a lot of time around people who are and stayed at a Holiday Inn one time!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 2014 Garden Thread Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

2014 Official Golf Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by jonD81
Views: 3055 Posts: 45

2014-04-14 10:36 PM RushTogether

2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 6199 Posts: 63

2014-02-26 1:24 PM jeng