2014-04-03 4:54 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: 2014 Garden Thread

Originally posted by tech_geezer

Originally posted by switch

I like the shrubs that you've mentioned (love, love azaleas) but for 3-4 hours of sun, I might recommend rhododendrons and viburnum (Carlson's is a great resource for Rhodies and Azaleas http://www.carlsonsgardens.com/).   They both have beautiful flowers, and Korean Spice viburnum (as well as many other cultivars) have a delicious scent.  Other times of the year they have very nice foliage.  Both of these shrubs would be right at home in a spot like this, though like Azaleas, Rhodies require some acid.  A Japanese maple might also be interesting for fall color and some of the cultivars have lovely habits.

Another shrub that can be quite pretty is a variegated variety of  Weigelia called "French lace".  Bright pink flowers and interesting leaves.

Maybe some sedum and hosta?

A great resource in the spring for plants is Craig's List.  Lots of gardeners looking to divide their plants.  If you're willing to go over and do some work, you can probably get some very inexpensively.

Thanks.  I should have said 3-4 hours of full sun.  The bed gets filtered sun the rest of the day, not deep shade.  Grass is fine in the same area so azaleas should bloom.  Roses actually did ok in the same spot and they need more sun than azaleas.   Most soil in Tennessee is acid.  I have an inexpensive pH meter.  I will check before planting.

I like sedum and hosta.  There were deer this morning eating the hostas on the other side of the yard.  I might make a curtain of Leyland cyprus along the neighbor's side.  That  would be on the north side and wouldn't shade the garden.  A couple of Japanese yew and a Japanese maple with some ilexes spread around  might give it a bit of Japanese garden flavor.  I will study some books tonight to pick some variegated foliage plants to go with that theme.  It is all fun planning until you put the stuff in the ground then you are stuck with making it grow for a few years.  

Ah, Tennessee!  I looked at your profile but didn't see that. 

Your ideas sound lovely.  I'm impressed that you would do all of this work knowing you aren't going to be there to enjoy it.  That's not an inexpensive or quick project you're talking about.

2014-04-03 6:28 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite

Yah, Tennessee.  If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute.

I love gardening and yard work.  I also want the house to be as close to pristine for the new owners as I can make it.  We raised three daughters here and it was perfect for that job.  We want to pass it on to another young family.  The back yard went into decline when I went back to school for a PhD.  It is overgrown now.  The rose garden project is really one of the easy things. I will just roll out a garden on a carpet of money.  Five gallon container shrubs, two inch gauge trees, it will look full grown the day I install the plants.  There is lots of underbrush to clear out in all the woodsy areas and other gardens in the yard.  The back yard used to look like something in Southern Living.  The basic layout is good.  I just have to put some sweat to uncover it all.  Think of The Secret Garden.  (Frances Hodgson Burnett lived in nearby Knoxville for a while in her early life.)

The garden is only small part of the total resell preparation.  We just replaced all the windows and doors because of foggy window problems and painted the trim outside at the same time.  It is a brick house so that means everything paintable outside was done.  A kitchen remodel is also in the works and interior painting.  It should be gone in a week when we list it.  It is a Williamsburg style home which means that it is a bit out of fashion today.  However, a realtor has told us that our style of house is much in demand in this area.  Two story, four bedroom homes in a good neighborhood are always in demand.

If you are looking for a house, this one will be a good deal.

TW

2014-04-05 4:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Flame Thrower

My new technique for controlling ground ivy and violets.  It is a propane torch appropriately called a Red Dragon.  It is better than chemicals.  The area I am working on is a woodsy border.  This area is going to get some new rhododendrons and bark mulch.  I want to kill back the ivy around the perimeter so that it does not creep into the grass.  I should have raked the leaves out of the area before burning the weeds.  JWKMH is manning the water hose and wetting down the area behind me.  Fun stuff.  

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2014-04-05 4:21 PM
2014-04-05 4:39 PM

User image

Pro

Sunny an warm finally! I wanted to build the raised planter boxes today, but I can't find 4x4 untreated wood anywhere. I might have to come up with a new design, I was going to route out a channel and slide the boards in, then countersink screws and fill the holes. I could use pressure-treated wood for the posts, but it won't look as nice.

2014-04-07 4:48 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Flame Thrower

My new technique for controlling ground ivy and violets.  It is a propane torch appropriately called a Red Dragon.  It is better than chemicals.  The area I am working on is a woodsy border.  This area is going to get some new rhododendrons and bark mulch.  I want to kill back the ivy around the perimeter so that it does not creep into the grass.  I should have raked the leaves out of the area before burning the weeds.  JWKMH is manning the water hose and wetting down the area behind me.  Fun stuff.  

TW

Excellent. 

I turn into a bit of a pyro in the spring, myself.  We burn some amount of our prairie each year.  It's always so fun to watch it come back.

2014-04-07 4:50 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Sunny an warm finally! I wanted to build the raised planter boxes today, but I can't find 4x4 untreated wood anywhere. I might have to come up with a new design, I was going to route out a channel and slide the boards in, then countersink screws and fill the holes. I could use pressure-treated wood for the posts, but it won't look as nice.

No Cedar 4 x4s? What's going on out there?

2014-04-07 5:00 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

We have a new little house in town with an awesome empty yard. This weekend we built fourteen 4' x 4' beds and four 4' x 12' beds for square-foot gardening, and we got a dump truck to deliver 12 tons of compost.  The kids had a blast playing in the dirt and we got our garden ready to go.

Got spinach, beets, carrots and radishes in.  Kale, lettuce, peas and potatoes will follow shortly. 

I'll post some pics soon.  Feels good to have something in the ground :)

2014-04-07 6:13 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

No Cedar 4 x4s? What's going on out there?

I know, it's crazy. Closest place to me that has cedar posts is 28 miles away. I spent like 2 hours at Home Depot and Lowe's last weekend looking for alternatives. My mind is pretty much made up, I'm going to borrow a truck and pick make the trip.

2014-04-08 11:07 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

We have a new little house in town with an awesome empty yard. This weekend we built fourteen 4' x 4' beds and four 4' x 12' beds for square-foot gardening, and we got a dump truck to deliver 12 tons of compost.  The kids had a blast playing in the dirt and we got our garden ready to go.

Got spinach, beets, carrots and radishes in.  Kale, lettuce, peas and potatoes will follow shortly. 

I'll post some pics soon.  Feels good to have something in the ground

Wait, did you sell the farm?
2014-04-08 11:27 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by JoshR

No :

We had pipes burst at the farm in January while we were overseas and there was quite a bit of damage.  We're going to be out of there for another 6-9 months (9-12 total) and insurance is paying for us to live somewhere else.  We were thinking about buying a small home in the college town where we both work and the pipes thing made it a nobrainer. 

The house has a blank slate of yard and it is very, very fun to have a new garden to plan and plant :)  Our non-profit does quite a bit of gardening education with kids and a bit with the community, so it will serve as a homebase for that.

-----

How is your garden growing?  And the chicks?  And the baby?

2014-04-08 12:39 PM

User image

Elite

No  

We had pipes burst at the farm in January while we were overseas and there was quite a bit of damage.  We're going to be out of there for another 6-9 months (9-12 total) and insurance is paying for us to live somewhere else.  We were thinking about buying a small home in the college town where we both work and the pipes thing made it a nobrainer. 

The house has a blank slate of yard and it is very, very fun to have a new garden to plan and plant   Our non-profit does quite a bit of gardening education with kids and a bit with the community, so it will serve as a homebase for that.

-----

I confess that I google-stalked Taproot and it is an amazing thing you do.  Of all the pictures of kids, I saw smiling faces, deeply inquisitive faces, and breathless faces.  I did not see a single frowning face.  Congratulations to you and Mr. Switch.

TW

2014-04-08 1:26 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

No  

The house has a blank slate of yard and it is very, very fun to have a new garden to plan and plant   Our non-profit does quite a bit of gardening education with kids and a bit with the community, so it will serve as a homebase for that.

-----

Seedlings are still shooting up. We only have a few things outdoors (garlic is going nuts, some onions left over from last year also going nuts and aspargus), but our fruits are all starting to leaf and flower which is nice. The 2 raspberry plants I planted last year are sending out runners along with a bunch of my strawberries.

The chicks are about pullet sized now. They have most of their feathers in. They are getting a little bit crazy. I need to get my posts into the ground this weekend so I can finish up the fence, move the coop over by the new fence and then finish up the coop so they can get outside in a few weeks.

The baby is now a chunker. He was only 6lbs 12oz at birth and today he is 6 weeks old and going off our scale he's already over 10.5lbs.
2014-04-08 3:01 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

No :

The house has a blank slate of yard and it is very, very fun to have a new garden to plan and plant :)  Our non-profit does quite a bit of gardening education with kids and a bit with the community, so it will serve as a homebase for that.

-----

I confess that I google-stalked Taproot and it is an amazing thing you do.  Of all the pictures of kids, I saw smiling faces, deeply inquisitive faces, and breathless faces.  I did not see a single frowning face.  Congratulations to you and Mr. Switch.

TW

Thanks TW.  That's very kind.

2014-04-08 3:05 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

No :

-----

Seedlings are still shooting up. We only have a few things outdoors (garlic is going nuts, some onions left over from last year also going nuts and aspargus), but our fruits are all starting to leaf and flower which is nice. The 2 raspberry plants I planted last year are sending out runners along with a bunch of my strawberries. The chicks are about pullet sized now. They have most of their feathers in. They are getting a little bit crazy. I need to get my posts into the ground this weekend so I can finish up the fence, move the coop over by the new fence and then finish up the coop so they can get outside in a few weeks. The baby is now a chunker. He was only 6lbs 12oz at birth and today he is 6 weeks old and going off our scale he's already over 10.5lbs.

That's a fun update!  Lots of good stuff at your house Josh. 

10.5 at 6 weeks--he's gaining on it, for sure :)  My middle one was 10.4 at birth.  <wince>

2014-04-08 3:28 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

No  

-----

Seedlings are still shooting up. We only have a few things outdoors (garlic is going nuts, some onions left over from last year also going nuts and aspargus), but our fruits are all starting to leaf and flower which is nice. The 2 raspberry plants I planted last year are sending out runners along with a bunch of my strawberries. The chicks are about pullet sized now. They have most of their feathers in. They are getting a little bit crazy. I need to get my posts into the ground this weekend so I can finish up the fence, move the coop over by the new fence and then finish up the coop so they can get outside in a few weeks. The baby is now a chunker. He was only 6lbs 12oz at birth and today he is 6 weeks old and going off our scale he's already over 10.5lbs.

10.5 at 6 weeks--he's gaining on it, for sure   My middle one was 10.4 at birth. 

My 1st was 15 lbs at the 2 month appointment. He started over 8 though.
2014-04-08 11:03 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

No  

-----

10.5 at 6 weeks--he's gaining on it, for sure   My middle one was 10.4 at birth. 

. If one does not read this carefully, one begins to picture 10 lb chicks!

2014-04-08 11:14 PM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Elite
Reno
We have made progress in cleaning up the yard, leveling the mounds,, etc. did some fruit tree window shopping. The tree store man blew my mind telling me he could plant three complimentary fruit trees in the same hole to facilitate cross pollination if we pruned correctly. Blew.my.mind! Still thinking that over. I want at least a seating area under the trees, so I don't want to go dwarf, but it opens up possibilities for semi dwarf when we only have room for 1 tree. I need to order my garden soil for Mr Booty's next days home. I think he is eager to return to he mine site after his days slaving at home!
2014-04-09 8:56 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by bootygirl

No  

-----

. If one does not read this carefully, one begins to picture 10 lb chicks!

That would be something.

It was 76 degree last night so we let the chicks out in the yard for a bit.

(CAM00187.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
CAM00187.jpg (258KB - 6 downloads)
2014-04-19 7:39 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Happy Easter. Just a gratuitous tulip photo

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (309KB - 5 downloads)
2014-04-21 11:13 AM

New user
Gotta love tulips. Hows the bed construction project coming along?
2014-04-24 8:02 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
My onions, lettuce and snow peas are starting to come up. Nothing yet on my potatoes, beans, sugar snap peas or carrots. My plants seem to be holding up ok, except for a few peppers. How is everyone else's garden doing?

2014-04-25 7:13 AM
in reply to: crimefighter2

New user
The warmer temps sure have helped. Tomatoes are starting to bloom with fruit set on the cherry varieties. Peppers blooming as well and the popcorn is about six inches tall and ready for side dressing. The squash is growing and I'll probably work up the ground to plant cantaloupes and watermelons in the next week or so. I need to plant field peas and okra as well. Now that I look at it, there is a lot I need to do when I find the time.
2014-04-25 7:25 AM

User image

Expert
I have a friend who had a playset their children grew out of, they turned that into a chicken coop. It turned out really nice.
2014-04-26 9:05 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
My raised beds have been on hold. I decided to get a real irrigation system for the back - I just found a guy to repair my existing, but broke, system and add the drip lines. It's been so nice out, my roses are blooming on the south side of the house!
2014-05-10 6:47 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Ok! I now have a working irrigation system and soil! As a presant to Mt Booty, I hired two teenaged boys to haul all the dirt back - I'm on light duty this weekend due to gum patching surgery last week. I was up early and to the garden store:

Tomato varieties: sun gold and 100's cherry stle, Russian Ana, pink Syberian, Jet, something else.

Peppers: Thai hot, habanero, jalapeño

Lemon cuccs, eggplant.

Marigolds to go in the block holes, clematis, "false indigo" (never heard of it, but promises to be a shrub of dark blue flowers).

. The it started hailing so my Subaru is right now a mobile greenhouse.

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (39KB - 5 downloads)
image.jpg (38KB - 5 downloads)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 2014 Garden Thread Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

2014 Official Golf Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by jonD81