General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Greenfield, Massachusetts
United States
Greenfield Recreation Department
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 18s
Overall Rank = 143/184
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/13
Pre-race routine:

Phone call woke me at 5:00 AM. Somehow I figured it was the race director calling to tell me the race was cancelled. Instead, it was a drunk dialing the wrong number. I went back to bed for 45 minutes. Up at 5:50, had my normal bagel & lox & coffee, plus half a banana. My previous day's concentration on only high fiber foods paid off, and I was dressed and ready to rock and roll by 6:45 AM. One abnormal thing to note: I had a seriously drippy nose. I took sudafed for it. Thinking about viral-triggered asthma, I also took two puffs of albuterol 1/2 an hour before the race started.
Event warmup:

I swear standing in line for the port-a-potty ought to count as a warm-up. It doesn't, though, so I guess the couple of sun salutes I did to stretch everything out will have to do. Walked the ins and outs, went down and got water in my suit, swam a whopping 10 yards.
Swim
  • 13m 9s
  • 546 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started at the left front and didn't get knocked around. Did mostly front crawl but did a few breast stroke to sight and slow down my heart rate. I got into a nice groove downstream where I didn't hardly have to use my legs. I am glad I decided to use the wetsuit since my legs got a nice rest.

I'd say I beat everybody who couldn't swim and nobody who could.
What would you do differently?:

I'm the sort of person who doesn't drown in water, but goes unbearably slow. It'd help if I could learn to swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Sat on milk crate to take off wetsuit, it came off well. This was a fast T1 for me. A new thing I did was to squirt some saline solution in my contacts before I put on my sunglasses. It really helped with the dry eyes I get when I go from the water to the bike.

I should probably have taken a swill of gel at this point.
Bike
  • 52m 24s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 17.40 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike computer registered 17.5 mph average, though the time here shows mounting and dismounting time. It was a fast mount and dismount.

I was annoyed by a couple riding together. He was on the right, she rode on the left right next to him. They kept passing me and slowing down. I kept trying to pass her but she was hogging the left. She was downright dangerous to the fast int'l people blowing by us. I passed her a couple of times and on the third (or fourth?) time I just hammered it to blow by her and drop her because she was annoying me so much. I suppose this is a good thing if it made me go faster.

I really hammered this course. I'm very pleased with the MPH avg I pulled in. I'd been doing 15.5 in most of my training runs.

Buy a better bike. It's time. I've got nearly 1000 miles on this entry-level K2 and in my top gear going downhill pedalling fast in the drops I can only bring home 31 mph. I need a better bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

I was pleased with my stop-on-a-dime dismount right next to Bike Bob (the guy I ride with from my LBS.) He made me feel safe and like I had good bike skills.

I took a moment in T2 to stretch out my ITB and hamstrings and to take some gel. I don't regret the time spent.

Leave my sunglasses behind. I had a hat with a visor. I don't like wearing my glasses on the run and I forgot to take them off.
Run
  • 33m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

As usual, I gave it all back on the run after my nice bike ride. I'm not doing too terribly for an overweight 41 year old: those were 10:45 minute miles and I did three of them. I'm objectively pleased. But appparently no one who runs slower than me showed up to do a triathlon.

I've had an epiphany about running. If I want to be a runner I have to run more. 8-12 miles a week just isn't enough to bring in the sub-ten minute miles I dream of. My goal for August and September is to get my mileage up before the Spirit of Women 5K the first week-end of October.
Post race
Warm down:

I bitched to a bike buddy about the riding-on-the-left lady. Glad I got it out of my system. Later I went for a swim down to the pavillion where there was lasagna, mixed veggie salad and ice cream bars. They put on a nice post-race dinner while a local celebrity does the awards ceremonies. There are a lot of home-town favorites winning the upper age groups. These old folks aren't phoning it in, they're out there winning races in their fifties!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad swimmer, bad runner. You do the math.

Event comments:

This is a fantastic race that the entire community gets behind. If you want a small tri (about 200 sprint, 200 int'l) in a pretty place then I suggest you come on out to Greenfield for the first week-end in August.

Last updated: 2006-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:09 | 546 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/13
Overall: 141/184
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless Pro Motion
Course: Downstream 270 yards, turn around a buoy and back upstream. Shallow enough to stand, devoid of creepy wildlife, it's a lovely place to swim. The current wasn't noticeable going upstream but was nice going downstream (or maybe it was just drafting at the start of the race.)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:24 | 15.2 miles | 17.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 99/184
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Each loop is 7.6 miles. Starts with a long winding hill going up 125 feet, then half-way through goes over a covered bridge and up a steep 125 foot climb on a switchback. The backside of the loop is mostly downhill through pleasant rural neighborhoods. Very light traffic well-controlled.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:20 | 03.1 miles | 10m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/13
Overall: 157/184
Performance: Average
Course: The short course run is a slightly uphill grade through farm fields, mostly running on slanted paved road with little shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-06 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Subject: Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - Sprint

2006-08-06 8:55 PM
in reply to: #503580

User image

South Shore MA
Subject: RE: Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - Sprint
Nice job-- check out that ride!

Glad you had a good day today

2006-08-06 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Sounds like you enjoyed yourself and like this is a fun race to do..Congrats!
2006-08-07 5:27 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Nice job, Gwendal.  I'm glad to read your RR.  Great bike split. 
2006-08-07 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT

Great job, Gwendal!  Your bike timing rocked, though you have the advantage of living closeby!  :  )  You really should consider one more race this summer!! 

2006-08-07 10:18 AM
in reply to: #504010

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
lobstergirl - 2006-08-07 11:09 AM

Great job, Gwendal! Your bike timing rocked, though you have the advantage of living closeby! : ) You really should consider one more race this summer!!

Funny you should say that.  I was just checking out the Clough State Park YMCA Triathlon in Weare in September.  Have you ever done that one before?  It looks like it's filled with newbies on mountain bikes.  The timing and relative location work for me, though. 

2006-08-07 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
The post race activities sound great. You rocked the bike and had a great day. I definitely think you should do another Tri this season.
2006-08-07 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

sonds like you had fun -- despite the left-leaning bike lady.  Nice going!

2006-08-07 4:29 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

your race report cracks me up!  It sounds like something I would have written  LOL  I'm glad you finally blew away the crazy bike lady.  She sounds like a pain in the butt!  Spend some time running this month and you'll be amazed at how fast you can improve that leg of the race (although I'd be thrilled with your run times).  I promise I would finish after you 

2006-08-07 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Very nice RR and thanks for all the pre-race tips!  It's great to 'know a local' on races like these.  Lots of little details shared make for fewer surprises on race day. 

It seems like you flew through the swim, with only 15 mins!  That's a lot of current, or you're a pretty strong swimmer.  Nice ride time, too!!

2006-08-07 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Great race! I know it can be disappointing that those slower racers aren't out there. But I think you did well against your harshest critic - yourself! Have you plunked down the $$ for a new bike, or are you still just thinking about it. I know I take a long long time before I make major purchases.

2006-08-07 9:28 PM
in reply to: #504862

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts

Have you plunked down the $$ for a new bike, or are you still just thinking about it. I know I take a long long time before I make major purchases.

I'm developing a plan.  The plan involves getting my thirteen year old son into triathlons.  He'll need a road bike.  He could have MINE.  And so I'd have to buy a new one.  This plan will only work for the brief time while my son is between the heights of 5'4" and 5'8", which might be a couple of weeks the way he's starting to grow!

I have no idea what kind of bike to buy.  I don't think I want a tri specific bike because the main place I'll be riding it is on road rides.   My future as a triathlete is pretty limited to doing a couple of sprint races a year.  Maybe an oly someday if I get macho, but I wouldn't count on it.  I race so I'll train; training is the main thing for me.

Got any bike ideas?  I'm currently riding a $500 K2 Mach 1.0.  I'd be willing to spend $1000 to $1500. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed