General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Downhill run training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-27 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: Downhill run training

I'm in week 11 of marathon training for Boston and I'm trying to figure out where to throw in some downhill workouts, 'cuz I hear the downhills are worse than the up.

I'm following Pfitzinger 18/55 plan and he has a nice mix of VO2 Max workouts, long runs, medium long runs, general aerobic runs and speed (though speed is really just "short strides at the end of a recovery run"). No specific hill workouts (when I'm outside, I run in Central Park, so I *am* doing them, just not exactly repeats).

What's a good trade-off here? Do hills instead of ...VO2 Max? General aerobic? Incorporate them into medium long runs?

Help! Thanks!

2014-02-27 4:00 PM
in reply to: swishyskirt

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Downhill run training

Originally posted by swishyskirt

I'm in week 11 of marathon training for Boston and I'm trying to figure out where to throw in some downhill workouts, 'cuz I hear the downhills are worse than the up.

I'm following Pfitzinger 18/55 plan and he has a nice mix of VO2 Max workouts, long runs, medium long runs, general aerobic runs and speed (though speed is really just "short strides at the end of a recovery run"). No specific hill workouts (when I'm outside, I run in Central Park, so I *am* doing them, just not exactly repeats).

What's a good trade-off here? Do hills instead of ...VO2 Max? General aerobic? Incorporate them into medium long runs?

Help! Thanks!

I'd most likely incorporate them into the medium long runs (sometimes) and the long runs (sometimes). He does talk about substituting hill work in his book. 

2014-02-27 4:08 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by thebigb

Originally posted by swishyskirt

Help! Thanks!

I'd most likely incorporate them into the medium long runs (sometimes) and the long runs (sometimes). He does talk about substituting hill work in his book. 

Yeah, that's what I do. I don't think you need to trade anything out. You don't specifically need to do repeats to get the benefits of running hills.

Our coach puts some emphasis on supplemental strength, too, for Boston. So, things like step-ups and step-downs. 

2014-02-27 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4956820

I believe Pfitz advocates training on similar terrain as the race. It may be a bit of work, but if you could find a training loop that approximates the elevation changes at Boston, and run your long runs, and perhaps some of your other training runs on that course. Not sure of the topography of Central Park off hand, but I've been there quite a few times, and know there is some decent ups and downs you can incorporate into your loop.
2014-02-27 4:42 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Expert
New York

Originally posted by ImSore I believe Pfitz advocates training on similar terrain as the race. It may be a bit of work, but if you could find a training loop that approximates the elevation changes at Boston, and run your long runs, and perhaps some of your other training runs on that course. Not sure of the topography of Central Park off hand, but I've been there quite a few times, and know there is some decent ups and downs you can incorporate into your loop.

Yeah, I basically can't avoid the hills as long as I'm outside. Central Park has several hills that I run as part of my usual route (Harlem Hills, Cat Hill, the Great Hill...fun times). So do I just incorporate them as part of my route, or do I try to run down them in a particular way -- race pace, faster (or, maybe slower?) than I normally would?

2014-02-27 5:09 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by ImSore I believe Pfitz advocates training on similar terrain as the race. It may be a bit of work, but if you could find a training loop that approximates the elevation changes at Boston, and run your long runs, and perhaps some of your other training runs on that course. Not sure of the topography of Central Park off hand, but I've been there quite a few times, and know there is some decent ups and downs you can incorporate into your loop.

On that note, be sure to simulate your training with your phone in a carry belt or not at all.

2014-02-27 5:10 PM

User image

I am training for Boston as well and do at least two downhill runs a week. One I do at marathon pace for at least 87 miles and I do my other one on my long run. That way your quads get use to pounding and are not thrashed by the time you get to and past heart break hill. The hills are really not that bad in Boston it is just where they are on the course and if you went out too fast you will pay either during them or just after them.

I sometimes will get three downhill runs in week and I am lucky where I live, there are hills everywhere.
2014-02-27 5:37 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by navbtcret I am training for Boston as well and do at least two downhill runs a week. One I do at marathon pace for at least 87 miles and I do my other one on my long run. That way your quads get use to pounding and are not thrashed by the time you get to and past heart break hill. The hills are really not that bad in Boston it is just where they are on the course and if you went out too fast you will pay either during them or just after them. I sometimes will get three downhill runs in week and I am lucky where I live, there are hills everywhere.

You may want to consider upping your mileage, might be a little on the low end there

2014-02-27 5:53 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Expert
New York

Originally posted by thebigb

Originally posted by navbtcret I am training for Boston as well and do at least two downhill runs a week. One I do at marathon pace for at least 87 miles and I do my other one on my long run. That way your quads get use to pounding and are not thrashed by the time you get to and past heart break hill. The hills are really not that bad in Boston it is just where they are on the course and if you went out too fast you will pay either during them or just after them. I sometimes will get three downhill runs in week and I am lucky where I live, there are hills everywhere.

You may want to consider upping your mileage, might be a little on the low end there

Dang. I am ill-prepared for this marathon.

2014-02-27 6:52 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Two of the marathons I did last year and will be doing again this year have significant downhill portions.  I need all the help I can get and partially chose these races because of the negative elevation.  The trade-off is some pretty sore quads from the additional pounding.

Fortunately, any longer run around here is going to involve not only hills but long stretches of upward and downward elevation.  I've purposely embraced these stretches and focus on my downhill form when I hit them.  Improving my downhill form is never the primary focus of my workout but whether I'm going long or medium distance I do think about efficiency on my downhill strides.

Oh, and everyone is ill-prepared compared to Ron.  I am amazed at the miles he puts in.

2014-02-27 8:15 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Ooops, I meant 8 miles. My running skills are better than my typing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Downhill run training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Downhill Training

Started by flyinfree
Views: 1235 Posts: 7

2008-09-30 6:36 AM rc63413

Running downhill

Started by lil_turtle
Views: 903 Posts: 9

2008-02-19 7:44 AM ranger5oh

Running downhill....

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1577 Posts: 21

2007-03-06 12:32 AM crusevegas

training for downhill in flatland - help

Started by madeye
Views: 955 Posts: 10

2005-09-29 6:42 AM oliveview

Benefits to running downhill?

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 1005 Posts: 5

2004-09-16 9:58 AM NoisyD
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : December 12, 2009
author : Coach-Al
In this segment, Coach Al speaks of three daily running objectives. Included are videos of various warmup exercises to increase your hip mobility.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?
date : September 24, 2007
comments : 1
This article will show you how to construct a run training program for your second season of running using your calculated heart-rate zones.

date : October 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 9
Studies have shown a correlation between pedaling at a high cadence and running at a high cadence, which leads to faster running. The shorter your ground contact time , the less chance for injury.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.