General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heart rate training zone question.... help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-27 8:11 PM

User image

Subject: heart rate training zone question.... help!
Training for my first tri in July, 40 ish pounds to lose ( I said "ish" cause that sounds like less) .... what zone should my HR be in during Training, or does it matter? My resting HR is 65. Thank you!
Heather

Edited by Dolcezza 2014-02-27 8:22 PM

2014-02-27 8:16 PM
in reply to: Dolcezza

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: heart rate training zone question.... help!
The general rule for running is "run often, mostly easy". Many here interpret this as keeping within Zone 2 for most training runs unless you are specifically doing speed work. For me, I have a hard time getting my HR much over Zone 3 on the bike or in the pool. Not that I'm in that great of shape, its just that I can't seem to push it enough to get much above Z3.
2014-02-27 8:23 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Thank You!
2014-02-28 8:46 AM
in reply to: Dolcezza

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Heather,

Yes it does matter!  There are a lot of threads related to HR on BT.  The king of them all is related to this article (see the Q&A link in the article) regarding the fallacy of the often mentioned 220-Age formula and a way to determine your own HR zones with field testing.  If you are not at the point yet to be able to do the field test, it may be best to run at a point where you can speak or sing a sentence until you are able to do the test. On the Rate of Perceived Effort scale (see end of the article), a RPE of 5-6 correlates to Z2 work.

Enjoy the training!

2014-02-28 9:39 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Basic Zones

These zones are very basic and the BPM numbers need to be personally adjusted however...

Z1-2 is the bast for building running base and weight management. Keep tons of your running in these lower zones.
2014-02-28 5:10 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

You guys are wonderful!!! Thank you!

2014-03-01 1:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Dolcezza

Training for my first tri in July, 40 ish pounds to lose ( I said "ish" cause that sounds like less) .... what zone should my HR be in during Training, or does it matter? My resting HR is 65. Thank you!
Heather

If your main goal is to lose 40 lbs nutrition has to be a huge part of this, regardless of your training zones. While lower HRs burn a higher %age of fat for fuel, they also dont' burn a lot of total calories. Higher intensity training burns a higher %age of carbs for fuel, but also burns a higher total number of calories, increasing the fat burn, plus it creates a post workout metabolism boost in which you'll continue burning fat.

In addition, losing weight even through nutrition alone is going to make all your tri training easier.

I would suggest using a complimentary high intensity workout to help simply increase your fat burning metabolism aside from tri training...it's hard to do with endurance activity alone. Ideas are myriad but could include working wiht a personal trainer, taking a body pump or spinnign class at the gym or doing any one of a number of home DVD workouts. Building muscle will increase your basal metabolic rate, make everyday stuff you do easier (climbing stairs, doing laundry) and you can do those things with a little more energy which is going to continue to help you burn even more calories for weight loss.

What distance is your triathlon and what's your current training volume and are you following a plan or just winging it?

what's your main goal for the tri?

Edited by AdventureBear 2014-03-01 1:22 PM
2014-03-01 2:06 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Originally posted by AdventureBear

Originally posted by Dolcezza

Heather

If your main goal is to lose 40 lbs nutrition has to be a huge part of this, regardless of your training zones. While lower HRs burn a higher %age of fat for fuel, they also dont' burn a lot of total calories. Higher intensity training burns a higher %age of carbs for fuel, but also burns a higher total number of calories, increasing the fat burn, plus it creates a post workout metabolism boost in which you'll continue burning fat.

In addition, losing weight even through nutrition alone is going to make all your tri training easier.

I would suggest using a complimentary high intensity workout to help simply increase your fat burning metabolism aside from tri training...it's hard to do with endurance activity alone. Ideas are myriad but could include working wiht a personal trainer, taking a body pump or spinnign class at the gym or doing any one of a number of home DVD workouts. Building muscle will increase your basal metabolic rate, make everyday stuff you do easier (climbing stairs, doing laundry) and you can do those things with a little more energy which is going to continue to help you burn even more calories for weight loss.

What distance is your triathlon and what's your current training volume and are you following a plan or just winging it?

what's your main goal for the tri?

I just sent you an email
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heart rate training zone question.... help! Rss Feed