General Discussion Triathlon Talk » two piece wetsuits Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-28 10:10 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: two piece wetsuits
I am giving serious thought to purchasing a new wetsuit. After have tried on many I have decided that I need an XL top but a L bottom. So, obviously, I'm thinking about a 2 piece suit. Wondering if folks find that the top will ride up during the swim

2014-03-01 9:26 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: two piece wetsuits

This will be my third season using a DeSoto two piece suit.  I love it!

You do have to be a little mindful about the top when you first start swimming.  If you do a swim where you have to jump off a dock for instance you will want to make sure to pull down on the top and get all the water out and then start swimming.  Stuff like that.  An in water start shouldn't cause any issues.  I also never had any issues while swimming.

I had it ride up on me once and that was because I didn't adjust it once I got in the water and it chafed the crap out of my neck.

2014-03-01 10:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
I also have a De Soto suit and love it. I haven't ever had any problems with the top/bottom leaking or riding up.

The only issue I've had (user error) was pulling the top over my head while wearing a 910. Got stuck on the arm, which also meant that the top was stuck over my head so I couldn't see while heading to transition at CDA last year. Took me a few seconds to get out - but provided plenty of entertainment for the spectators as I could hear a couple of them laughing

Edited by cnsegura 2014-03-01 10:23 AM
2014-03-01 2:44 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I've go tthe DeSoto T1 two piece setup. I really like it. One reason it benefits me is that I can wear the bottoms w/o the top in warmer water which helps correct my body position in the water, males me a little more speedy, then I don't have to mess with the top in transition.
2014-03-01 10:06 PM
in reply to: reecealan

I have bought a DeSoto - my first. I thought long and hard about the purchase but think I made the correct decision. The customer service from them was excellent. I have only worn it twice in the pool so far but it felt great. The only area I will need practice is taking the top offf but after watching the video on their web site feel it won't take long to master that. I think it takes Emilio 13 seconds!
2014-03-01 10:19 PM
in reply to: axelle

User image

Pro

Just curious, how fast can you get a two piece suit off for transition?  We spent a lot of time cutting the suit and practicing  transitions so that the wetsuit comes off really easy (maybe lose a few seconds from a no wetsuit transition)....but I can't imagine how that would happen with a two piece.

2014-03-01 10:36 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I can actually get the two piece off faster than a one piece.

2014-03-01 10:43 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Left Brain

Just curious, how fast can you get a two piece suit off for transition?  We spent a lot of time cutting the suit and practicing  transitions so that the wetsuit comes off really easy (maybe lose a few seconds from a no wetsuit transition)....but I can't imagine how that would happen with a two piece.

Yeah, I'm as fast with my 2pc Desoto as I am with my 1pc. I take the top off as I'm running to my bike, then slipping off the "long johns" is about the same time as slipping off half of your 1pc.
2014-03-01 11:02 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Yeah, I'm as fast with my 2pc Desoto as I am with my 1pc. I take the top off as I'm running to my bike, then slipping off the "long johns" is about the same time as slipping off half of your 1pc.

Does the top have a zipper?  I assume so.....front or back?

2014-03-01 11:26 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I have had both types of wetsuits and much prefer a 2 piece....fits better, more comfortable, easier to get on, and feels less constrictive.

It is fast to get off as you unzip the back and pull the top off, then pull straps down over your shoulders, all while you run.

LB DeSoto has some good videos on how to put on and off wetsuits quickly.

2014-03-02 12:11 AM
in reply to: KathyG

i also have a 2 piece desoto wetsuit, and it's great. I highly recommend it. I have the Speedtube bottoms and a long sleeved top; and it doesn't ride up on me.

I looked at alot of different brands before I chose desoto, and for me the deciding factor was the flexibility of the suit...ie. you can choose a top and bottom that matches your specific body type. I also like the fact that I can just wear the pants depending on the water temp. You can also swim in a pool with the desoto and since I don't have many ows options, this was a helpful factor.

The only negative is that if you *really* want to lay down and have the strippers rip off your suit, the desoto doesn't lend itself to that...and obviously, I'm being sarcastic with this point.

Long story short, go for Desoto - you'll be very satisfied with it.

2014-03-02 5:56 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by KathyG

I have had both types of wetsuits and much prefer a 2 piece....fits better, more comfortable, easier to get on, and feels less constrictive.

It is fast to get off as you unzip the back and pull the top off, then pull straps down over your shoulders, all while you run.

Yeah, we can get out of our suits really fast......I'm just trying to figure out how getting out of a two piece is fast.

2014-03-02 6:20 AM

User image

Master

I have a 2 piece De Soto that is for sale. Too bad you aren't a size 3. Personally, I think it is easier to get out of a one piece wetsuit. I probably should have cut the wetsuit to make it easier to get on and off. The biggest problem that I had was getting the sleeve over the Garmin. Instead of running through transition pulling the wetsuit down to your hips you're pulling a top over your head which can be interesting if the transition chute is crowded. The top also has to be off before the wetsuit strippers can help you get the bottom off. If you don't use the wetsuit strippers it isn't an issue.

2014-03-02 6:25 AM

Yeah, we can get out of our suits really fast......I'm just trying to figure out how getting out of a two piece is fast.

The Desoto website has a video on how fast one can exist the suit. As for wetsuit strippers helping, many of the Desoto users are using the speed tube bottom which the strippers can take off very quickly and...they can help pull your top over your head if you are so "gassed" and need help.

Edited by Billyk 2014-03-02 6:28 AM
2014-03-02 6:56 AM
in reply to: Billyk

User image

Pro

OK....I watched the video....I don't see 2 piece wetsuits becoming part of a really fast transition any time soon.  And in a DL race, it's just one more thing to have to get into the bin. 

But yeah, for most AG races it would work.....I know it'd be fine for me.

2014-03-02 7:01 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Here's what's different for me...

stand up out of swim exit.
1pc - pull zipper as soon as I stand up
2pc - pull zipper as soon as I stand up

running to bike
1pc - goggles / cap off, pull suit down (sleeve over goggles/cap) let suit hang in front
2pc - goggles/cap off, pull suit up (sleeve over goggles cap) hold top of suit. Also slide the top of the long johns off shoulders (extra step I suppose)

at bike
1pc - push suit down to hips, pull leg far enough down to step on it (helps a lot if you've cut to a little lower than mid calf) step on, pull off, finish t1
2pc - throw top, pull suit down hips, pull leg far enough down to step on it, pull off, finish t1.

All the "extra steps" don't eat into time.
You can practice to be very fast both ways.
The reason to pick a 2pc over a 1pc is fit. (For example my shoulder plate/screws feel more pressure in a tight 1pc) so if a 1pc fits then it's not a big deal.

2014-03-02 7:18 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Here's what's different for me... stand up out of swim exit. 1pc - pull zipper as soon as I stand up 2pc - pull zipper as soon as I stand up running to bike 1pc - goggles / cap off, pull suit down (sleeve over goggles/cap) let suit hang in front 2pc - goggles/cap off, pull suit up (sleeve over goggles cap) hold top of suit. Also slide the top of the long johns off shoulders (extra step I suppose) at bike 1pc - push suit down to hips, pull leg far enough down to step on it (helps a lot if you've cut to a little lower than mid calf) step on, pull off, finish t1 2pc - throw top, pull suit down hips, pull leg far enough down to step on it, pull off, finish t1. All the "extra steps" don't eat into time. You can practice to be very fast both ways. The reason to pick a 2pc over a 1pc is fit. (For example my shoulder plate/screws feel more pressure in a tight 1pc) so if a 1pc fits then it's not a big deal.

But at some point you've got to stop and pull that thing over your head, right?  I know you guys are fast, but I still can't see it not losing some time.  By the time the last leg comes out of a one piece the really fast guys already have their helmet on.  Yeah, I know we are talking about 10-15 seconds here, but that could make the difference in catching a wheel or not....and in a fast AG race that's still time you'd like to have back at the end of the race.  I also realize that my brain only thinks about sprint races, but that's what I like best.

2014-03-02 7:24 AM

User image

Pro

I agree about cutting the suit......this is how much we cut.....you can see the other suits in the pic that aren't cut.....that's quite a bit of lost time.

(wetsuit.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
wetsuit.jpg (52KB - 0 downloads)
2014-03-02 11:13 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I don't think you lose any time pulling the thing over your head. It's ~1 step where you are pulling it over your head (it comes off MUCH easier than it goes on) that you are "blind" but in the 10 or so races I've used mine I have never stopped running while taking it off. It's like everything else... just practice a bit.

That's about where I cut mine, maybe a little higher. If you start cutting too much off the calf it's going to start hurting the actual swim. I think that's probably close to the border. (or maybe it's just how long his calves are)
2014-03-02 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I pull the top over my head while running to transition. Check path in front of you, grap bottom of top, quickly pull over head, no need to stop. Get to transition, quickly remove bottoms. I didn't get the 2 piece because of time over a 1 piece. One factor was price as it was a great deal at the time, the other factor is the flexibility to wear bottoms only as that's an advantage to those with poor kick/body position.
2014-03-02 12:49 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Leegoocrap I don't think you lose any time pulling the thing over your head. It's ~1 step where you are pulling it over your head (it comes off MUCH easier than it goes on) that you are "blind" but in the 10 or so races I've used mine I have never stopped running while taking it off. It's like everything else... just practice a bit. That's about where I cut mine, maybe a little higher. If you start cutting too much off the calf it's going to start hurting the actual swim. I think that's probably close to the border. (or maybe it's just how long his calves are)

He's 6'4" so yeah, his calves are long........if he had his way he'd cut them into shorts.    Wearing a wetsuit hurts his swim no matter what so it doesn't matter as much. He gains NOTHING in a wetsuit swim.....and loses ground to those it helps.

Still, that suit flies off of him the way it's cut.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-02 12:59 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » two piece wetsuits Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

one piece vs two piece tri-suit

Started by wide awake
Views: 18616 Posts: 18

2009-07-05 6:06 PM sara0919

Wetsuit: Two-Piece vs One-Piece

Started by SKDickey
Views: 3134 Posts: 13

2009-02-27 7:44 PM Daremo

Wetsuit - 2 piece or one piece

Started by cycle_todd
Views: 2952 Posts: 19

2011-05-22 1:01 PM BGANNAWAY

One piece or two piece? Pages: 1 2

Started by vortmax
Views: 2478 Posts: 26

2006-01-11 12:22 PM jeng

DeSoto T1 Two-Piece

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 1047 Posts: 9

2005-03-06 12:09 AM stevebradley
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
Here’s a couple of tactics that I have found VERY helpful when it comes to my early morning workouts…hopefully, at least one of them will work for you too!

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
Wetsuit guide for triathletes - manufacturers, sizing and maintenance.