General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Bike on NCR? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-01 5:36 AM

User image

Subject: Road Bike on NCR?
Hello Maryland BT'ers . I think I may have asked this before but I can't remember. Is anyone familiar with the NCR trail in Cockeysville? If so have you ever done any long bike rides with a road bike on there? Someone at my LBS said that people do it. but is it terribly uncomfortable? I trained there for my long runs for a marathon a few years back and have a half ironman in May that I need to start really ramping up my bike mileage for and it would be perfect. Thanks

2014-03-04 7:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Road Bike on NCR?
Not a good option at all. NCR trail is a soft-surface trail of crushed rock & dirt. In general you should avoid most bike and multi-use trails as they are designed primarily with the casual user in mind. There is a reason most cycling clubs don't plan rides along those trails, other than the occasional "lunch tour" rides.

Edited by firepointgreg 2014-03-04 7:54 AM
2014-03-04 8:41 AM
in reply to: SR2518

Baltimore, MD
Can you ride a road bike on it? Yes. I took my road bike on there once for training. I was nervous about my wheels holding up, but they did fine. I think a cyclocross bike would be perfect for that path.

Should you ride a road bike on it? Not really. It's got lots of walkers, runners and casual bikers. If you're trying to do 20mph-range speeds, you'll be blowing by people. That gets dangerous. There may even be a speed limit (I think I remember the B&A trail having a 15mph limit).

If you want to try it, stick to the less populated more northern parts. And don't even think about riding there at speeds on nice weekends - the trail is thick with kids and families, especially at the southern end.

The only time I ride NCR now is with my wife and kids - oldest on her 20 incher and youngest on the trail-a-bike hooked to the back of my old hardtail mtb.
2014-04-08 7:15 PM

I ride my hybrid on it all the time. Now the perfect course for a road bike, but I've seen dozens riding it just fine...
2014-04-09 7:29 PM

I ride my road bike on it, its completely doable. It is fine gravel and dirt so if your nervous about your tires, just buy a cheap spare set. It can get crowded, especially on weekends on the southern part(I stay northern because of where I live).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Bike on NCR? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike on NCR trail?

Started by Grnfsh
Views: 3090 Posts: 5

2012-06-01 9:24 AM Grnfsh

Columbia Road Bike Routes?

Started by SquatSauce
Views: 1170 Posts: 5

2010-04-01 9:23 PM SquatSauce

Road Bike Racer and Triathlete Man

Started by 2moremiles
Views: 909 Posts: 1

2010-03-29 3:11 PM 2moremiles

Saturday 10/17 NCR Trail Run

Started by JoshKaptur
Views: 1051 Posts: 6

2009-10-19 9:43 PM econway

Kinetic Bike Trainer - Road Machine

Started by trishie
Views: 756 Posts: 1

2009-06-12 2:32 PM trishie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.