General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for skinny guy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-01 3:11 PM

User image

Subject: Advice for skinny guy
Hello.

I'm training for first triathlon, did duathlon last year everything is great but would want some advice on strength exercises. I have a nice training plan but not sure about strength stuff that I took from another program.

2 days a week I have leg curl/leg ext./leg press/squats/seated row (tri stuff). Recently I got another 'core' program for myself with chin ups/bench press/leg raises/upright row.

I'm 22, 70kg, 183-184cm want to get some extra 5-7. Should I not do tri stuff (leg curl etc.) and focus on core and do Chin-ups, Bench press, Leg raises, Upright row and Squats?

Thanks.

2014-03-03 12:16 PM
in reply to: Yuriy

Subject: RE: Advice for skinny guy
I'm much in the same boat. I'm 29, skinny and lean and have been researching this topic a lot too.

Is the 5-7 (kg?) you describe muscle you're looking to add, or just weight in general? To get 5-7kg of muscle mass you're going to need to eat a lot more, period. And you're going to need to lift heavy to build mass. That's quite a bit of weight to add.

The "tri" exercises you mentioned are great for conditioning but they will not add mass if that's what your after. The last exercised you mentioned are more the right direction..."Chin-ups, Bench press, Leg raises, Upright row and Squats."

I'd mix in some military press, barbell curls, overhand wide-grip pull-ups, push-ups, etc.

I still swim and bike and run a lot, but I mix in a couple days of strength training in a week (2-3 days) and started seeing some increased weight and muscle. I've been eating a lot of fresh veggies, lean meats, whole grains, and a respectable amount of protein all throughout the day. I'm ALWAYS eating though. I have a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter, an apple, a huge bowl of oatmeal with cranberries and chia seeds for breakfast every morning.

Hope this helps some. Just throwing my experience into the mix as this has been working for me.

Best of luck.
2014-03-04 1:17 AM
in reply to: Yuriy

I can't comment on the tri specific stuff as I have only recently decided to start training for them, but the last couple of years have been primarily strength training. Im trying to do the opposite to you, weighing 110kg @ 195cm, trying to drop, while maintaining as much strength.

I found the best addition to mass was a simple linear progression program, see Starting Strength, Strong Lifts or the likes, focusing on the main Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Military Press and Rows. Once those done, feel free to add in some accessory lifts (leg ext, curls, pull ups etc)

Probably wont be able to progress as quick with the cardio, but should see some steady gains none the less.

There are other options as well, maybe a lower body and upper body session? Working it around your tri schedule. Have a look at Alex Viada's Blog - So, you want to Run and be Strong. Gives you an idea of setting out a schedule

As mentioned, you will need to eat more than you are if you are currently maintaing weight, otherwise going to have a hard time gaining.

2014-03-06 7:28 AM
in reply to: b.andrews3911

User image

Pro
CyFair

So the basics of gaining weight is to add calories.  Find out what your approx. BMR is and add a few hundred QUALITY calories.

For triathlons I advocate lifting for power.  3-5 sets of 3-5 reps.  You can look at schemes like Starting Strength, 5 x 5, or 5/3/1 and modify them to fit your schedule.  Personally I have squat day, deadlift day, and upper body day (usually revolves around power cleans and Standing OHP/Bench).  

2014-03-08 11:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by uhcoog

So the basics of gaining weight is to add calories.  Find out what your approx. BMR is and add a few hundred QUALITY calories.

For triathlons I advocate lifting for power.  3-5 sets of 3-5 reps.  You can look at schemes like Starting Strength, 5 x 5, or 5/3/1 and modify them to fit your schedule.  Personally I have squat day, deadlift day, and upper body day (usually revolves around power cleans and Standing OHP/Bench).  

Could you say a little more about why you think power cleans and OHP are good weight lifting exercises for triathletes? 

Edited by switch 2014-03-08 11:26 AM
2014-03-08 8:17 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by switch

Could you say a little more about why you think power cleans and OHP are good weight lifting exercises for triathletes? 

Well power cleans are a total body exercise that recruits glutes, hams, quads, calves, back, and shoulders.  It's also a very explosive movement and IMO recruiting motor units to work in explosive/powerful contractions is needed for most triathletes.  You could switch out standing OHP for a number of things.  I like to have exercises in for shoulders.  OHPs hit the muscle group in a fairly comprehensive manner.

2014-03-09 3:44 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Well power cleans are a total body exercise that recruits glutes, hams, quads, calves, back, and shoulders.  It's also a very explosive movement and IMO recruiting motor units to work in explosive/powerful contractions is needed for most triathletes.  You could switch out standing OHP for a number of things.  I like to have exercises in for shoulders.  OHPs hit the muscle group in a fairly comprehensive manner.

Why do triathletes need explosive work? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I just don't really understand the specificity. 

With a squat deadlift and upperbody day how do you still S/B/R and recover?

I feel like cleans are sometimes a difficult exercise for people to learn without guidance and initial supervision.  Is there another compound move that you think accomplishes similar things without the same risk? 

I guess OHP would also not be my choice.  I question why anyone--unless their job requires it--needs to develop specific strength for pushing weight up over their head, and the risk of impingement with OHP is considerable. 

2014-03-10 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Why do triathletes need explosive work? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I just don't really understand the specificity. 

I feel like cleans are sometimes a difficult exercise for people to learn without guidance and initial supervision.  Is there another compound move that you think accomplishes similar things without the same risk? 

I guess OHP would also not be my choice.  I question why anyone--unless their job requires it--needs to develop specific strength for pushing weight up over their head, and the risk of impingement with OHP is considerable. 

You're starting to sound like me

2014-03-10 3:09 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by msteiner

You're starting to sound like me ;)

I'm going to try to tap your feet too :)

Too bad  I'll never touch you on the damn B/R!

2014-03-11 1:33 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

So yeah, it's a bit of a balancing act at times.  I will give you that.  I find most athletes that train consistently can handle a couple hours a week of strength training on top of s/b/r'ing.

I'll qualify the power aspect by saying the athlete needs to have a decent base of fitness meaning that they have little in the way of muscle imbalances and have a good, functional strength base.  But power = speed.  Going fast is creating a ton of force and creating it quickly.  You can train the muscles and the neural pathways to do this by lifting heavy and explosively.  Lifting heavy will increase your Vo2.  It will increase your LT.  It will also, especially in conjuction with plyos, allow your body to transfer load better (running), and tolerate shorter ground contact times.  Speaking of shorter ground contact times research shows that as you get faster your contact times get shorter.  The key there is to be able to generate the maximum amount of force you can in that short, short period of time.  Lifting explosively helps train the motor units to do that.

Anyway if you're going to lift I'd suggest lifting for power.  You're already getting a lot of what is essentially high rep/low weight exercise through training s/b/r.  Now I'm not going to go over the top.  I sat through a lecture by Jay DiCharry at the USAT clinic where he advocated taking s/b/r volume out and replacing it with strength training.  He also had Lindsay Corbin hit PRs on deads, squats, etc the Monday before Kona.  I'd prefer to leave a short/intense lifting session in 3 days a week until you start seeing an impact on your recovery.  When you start to see that pull a session and reassess.  

This is really something that isn't going to be settled anytime soon.  I know I talked to 3 different prominent coaches in the last 3 months and each had a different idea of what triathletes should be doing strength training wise.

2014-03-11 5:57 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Regular
LHOTP

So yeah, it's a bit of a balancing act at times.  I will give you that.  I find most athletes that train consistently can handle a couple hours a week of strength training on top of s/b/r'ing.

I'll qualify the power aspect by saying the athlete needs to have a decent base of fitness meaning that they have little in the way of muscle imbalances and have a good, functional strength base.  But power = speed.  Going fast is creating a ton of force and creating it quickly.  You can train the muscles and the neural pathways to do this by lifting heavy and explosively.  Lifting heavy will increase your Vo2.  It will increase your LT.  It will also, especially in conjuction with plyos, allow your body to transfer load better (running), and tolerate shorter ground contact times.  Speaking of shorter ground contact times research shows that as you get faster your contact times get shorter.  The key there is to be able to generate the maximum amount of force you can in that short, short period of time.  Lifting explosively helps train the motor units to do that.

Anyway if you're going to lift I'd suggest lifting for power.  You're already getting a lot of what is essentially high rep/low weight exercise through training s/b/r.  Now I'm not going to go over the top.  I sat through a lecture by Jay DiCharry at the USAT clinic where he advocated taking s/b/r volume out and replacing it with strength training.  He also had Lindsay Corbin hit PRs on deads, squats, etc the Monday before Kona.  I'd prefer to leave a short/intense lifting session in 3 days a week until you start seeing an impact on your recovery.  When you start to see that pull a session and reassess.  

This is really something that isn't going to be settled anytime soon.  I know I talked to 3 different prominent coaches in the last 3 months and each had a different idea of what triathletes should be doing strength training wise.

Woah.  Really? 

I'd like to hear more about that.  Is his talk available anywhere?

2014-03-13 3:43 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Woah.  Really? 

I'd like to hear more about that.  Is his talk available anywhere?

I don't think so.  He presented several of the subjects at the USAT coaching clinic in New Orleans including strength training.  Here's his website:

http://www.reporegon.com/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for skinny guy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Looking for some advice on weight training for HIM

Started by reverend5150
Views: 1950 Posts: 5

2014-10-12 8:49 AM Jarredscycling

Advice on routine?

Started by schlecte
Views: 2885 Posts: 18

2013-03-10 6:01 AM JMMauldwin

In need of some advice?

Started by Taffle
Views: 1029 Posts: 2

2009-01-21 1:17 AM chunta

Advice please...

Started by sudie
Views: 1702 Posts: 5

2008-06-06 9:29 AM surgeandsettle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : September 25, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Although you cannot change your genetics and your tendency to fidget, you can boost your calorie intake. Here are five tips to help you bulk-up healthfully.
date : January 8, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about that 'perfect day off' - as triathletes, it's needed.

date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.
date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???

date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.