General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman 3 weeks before a full? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-02 9:05 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Half Ironman 3 weeks before a full?
I'm signed up for IM Louisville this year. There's a great race in my area that had always been an olympic, and it's my favorite race. Well, this year they added a Half that day so there's now a half and oly that day. I was really excited and planned to do the half because initially I was planning a late oct full IM. Well, life happened and I had to pick a new full so Louisville was the best bet. So now I'm not sure if doing the half is realistic or not. I can always do the oly, but I really wanted to do the full. I'm following the Be Iron Fit training plan and it actually calls for a much bigger weekend than the half would be. I think it's a 5 hour bike, 3 hour run, no swimming that weekend.

I wouldn't be pushing as hard as I would if this were my primary race, more of a prep race for the full. But, it seems that the planned workout is much more, albeit on two different days. Based on my past performances I'd likely be doing around 2:30-45 on the bike and 2:10-2:20 on the run, so I'd be significantly under the cycling workout and a little under the running workout.

I could make up the cycling miles the day after.

Thoughts on this?

2014-03-02 10:14 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

New user
penticton
Subject: RE: Half Ironman 3 weeks before a full?
you have a training plan with a 5h ride and 3h run on the same day???? 3 weeks out of a ironman? are you sure?

2014-03-02 4:44 PM

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

I'm signed up for IM Louisville this year. There's a great race in my area that had always been an olympic, and it's my favorite race. Well, this year they added a Half that day so there's now a half and oly that day.

Lake Logan is my favorite race too. I think it's great that they added a half and I was considering doing it too, but Oly Nationals is on Aug 10, so I'm not doing both.
2014-03-02 5:23 PM
in reply to: hotalinge

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
PS - I have a friend who after Lake Logan last year biked UP Lake Logan Rd to the Parkway and back down to Asheville… that might get you the miles you need!
2014-03-02 6:14 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
personally I wouldn't do the HIM so close to the full.

truly that's your last big weekend prior to taper.

so instead you will be in recovery, even though you say you won't be going full bore.

however, if you do that HIM, I would suggest NOT trying to make up any lost training.

let it be the start of the taper and move forward with what plan you have left.
2014-03-02 6:47 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by jonnyo

you have a training plan with a 5h ride and 3h run on the same day???? 3 weeks out of a ironman? are you sure?

Dear god no. I said that weekend, not day. I think it's a 5 hour ride on saturday, 3 hour run on sunday.

2014-03-02 6:51 PM
in reply to: metafizx

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by metafizx

personally I wouldn't do the HIM so close to the full.

truly that's your last big weekend prior to taper.

so instead you will be in recovery, even though you say you won't be going full bore.

however, if you do that HIM, I would suggest NOT trying to make up any lost training.

let it be the start of the taper and move forward with what plan you have left.

I think it's actually my first weekend after my biggest weekend. I don't have the book in front of me, but i think the week before is a 6 hour ride with a brick and a 3 hour run. I'm curious now because I'm surprised the run time wouldn't have dropped on a recovery week.

But point being you're right, I think that is a recovery week. Thanks for the feedback...ugh, even if it isn't what I wanted to hear.

2014-03-02 7:59 PM

User image

New user
penticton
well, then is all a matter of priority

if you really put a lot of important on the ironman, you better stick to your training and no do the half

if you really want to do that half ironman, use it as your last big trainign session. while it might not be as long as the training weekend, it will be at a higher intensity so training load while be a little closer.

good luck
2014-03-03 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I'm doing a half 4 weeks before my 1st full of the season. I moved my 5hr bike from the half's race week to the week before. This means that there will be a two week gap between my long (5hr +) rides instead of a single week. Won't be a problem.

This half I'll be doing is with my wife and it's her first so if my IM suffers because of it, who cares. I suck anyway
2014-03-03 2:12 PM

User image

If I had to pick a race 3 weeks prior to an IM, it would be the Oly.  Requires minimal taper and recovery, and I can race it all out.  And I can compare the results against other Oly's (also raced all out) to get a gauge of my fitness.

That is of course assuming I have already got my long stuff dialed in as far as pacing and nutrition.

2014-03-03 2:56 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Arden, North Carolina
I really appreciate everyone's feedback on this. Exactly the pros and cons I was hoping to hear regarding this. I'll definitely do one of them. I've already bailed on my first Half of the season in may, so I hate to bail on another. At the same time, I have a bone to pick with this race after last year. I was having one of the best races of my life, until my calf blew up on me 1.5 mile into the run. So there is that score to settle in the oly. Just really wanted to do a half this year as well, and this one is local and cheap(relatively).

We shall see, i'll be taking in all this advice and thinking about it long and hard.

2014-03-03 3:14 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
In my opinion, I would not race 3 weeks out. That's either your last peak week or the start of taper. A HIM, or OLY, detract from the main goal. I also think some ppl underestimate the toll a race like that can have on your body. It takes time to recover, and that recovery just takes longer if you continue to train.

I raced a HIM 4 weeks before an ironman and regretted it...and I'm pretty fit. When all was said and done, I felt like I flushed a quality week of 140.6 training down the drain. If you really want to do a HIM, race one 8+ weeks before your IM. That should give you enough time to recovery and still get in some really good peak weeks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman 3 weeks before a full? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Full/Half Ironman

Started by akrenik
Views: 1290 Posts: 10

2012-09-28 4:52 PM obohlman

Half Ironman before Full Ironman

Started by dmiller5
Views: 1134 Posts: 4

2012-06-19 10:17 AM BigDH

Time between Half and Full Ironman

Started by may26baf
Views: 989 Posts: 7

2010-02-15 1:46 PM may26baf

Half Marathon to Full with 5 weeks between

Started by smhammond
Views: 1509 Posts: 21

2007-07-23 5:18 PM chirunner134

Sprint to full or half Ironman Pages: 1 2

Started by allez
Views: 2321 Posts: 29

2007-02-03 2:59 PM allez
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : October 30, 2005
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.