General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building speed using treadmill Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-02 10:21 AM

User image

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
Subject: Building speed using treadmill
Hello everyone, I was wondering what the best course of action was to build speed using the treadmill?

You see I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to running and biking outside when it is really cold. I spend most of my time on the treadmill running and the trainer biking during the winter, unless we get the unusually warm day here and there in which I run and bike outside. SO what do I need to do on the treadmill to decrease my running times. Im typically a ~9:00 mile runner (without much run training) and would like to get down into the 7:00-7:30/mile by the end of the season.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

2014-03-02 11:04 AM
in reply to: fubar44

Subject: RE: Building speed using treadmill
The same method used when running outside: INTERVALS

After a warm up increase belt speed to an all out sprint for 1 minute.

Slow down to recover for a few minutes.

Repeat x5

Increase duration and sets gradually over time

Mind your form, don't do too much.

Too much speed work is a gateway to injury.
2014-03-02 12:48 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
x2 on speedwork. Leading up to my 5K PR a couple years ago I did 1/4 or 1/2 miles at slightly faster than 5K goal pace with active recover in between.
2014-03-02 4:20 PM

User image

Regular
Morton IL
My 5k has gone from 28 minutes to 20:17 last time out. Normal speed work for me on dreadmill is this: 1-2 mile warm up then 30 second sprints 6-8 times. I jack the incline up, and speed for 30 seconds, walk 1 minute, another 30 then 1 mile cool down. I probably start around 6% incline 6mph now I am 8%+ and 8-9 mph x8 reps. Each rep I increase a little.

Reps 7-8 are the longest 30 seconds of my life...........
2014-03-02 5:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Paulford8 My 5k has gone from 28 minutes to 20:17 last time out. Normal speed work for me on dreadmill is this: 1-2 mile warm up then 30 second sprints 6-8 times. I jack the incline up, and speed for 30 seconds, walk 1 minute, another 30 then 1 mile cool down. I probably start around 6% incline 6mph now I am 8%+ and 8-9 mph x8 reps. Each rep I increase a little. Reps 7-8 are the longest 30 seconds of my life...........

Yep, that'll do it......nice work!! 

Try this......after you have done your 8 reps, do 4 more.....but on each rep bring the incline down another 2% and raise the mph by 1/2 mph.  Your brain will feel like your getting a break, but your body will learn to run faster.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-02 5:45 PM
2014-03-03 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
Specific interval and tempo work combined with recovery and endurance will build your speed.

Your runs should have different purposes and the McMillan Running Calculator should let you know what pace the runs should be.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

It''s hard to give you a plan without knowing your health, weekly mileage, etc., but let's take a 20 mile week in the final phase of training for an Olympic Distance tri. You might have something that looks like this:

Tuesday - easy run (3 mi)
Wednesday - Interval run (5 mi total)
Thursday - tempo run (4 mi total)
Friday - easy run (3 mi)
Sunday - long run (10 mi)

Using McMillan's running calculator based off of a 55 minute 10k, your easy run should be around a 10 minute mile. Your interval run paces would vary based on the workout and the distance of the interval. Make sure to include a 1 mi warm up and 1 mi cool down. So, if you have 5 mi to run during an interval day, it would actually only be 3 miles of intervals...so, something like 1x1600 in 8:20, 2 minutes standing rest; 2x800 on 3:55 with 1 minute standing rest between each; 4x400 on 1:55 with :30 standing rest between each.

Your tempo run would again have some sort of warm up and cool down worked into the start and finish and should be somewhere in that 8:30 - 9:00 /mile range.

Then your long run should be around where your easy run is.

The idea is to run fast when you need to, but not to run too fast when you don't so you do not fatigue your legs too much to get in quality speed workouts.

Edited by LSUfan4444 2014-03-03 12:48 PM

(running calc.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
running calc.jpg (55KB - 4 downloads)

2014-03-03 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Since nobody has asked it yet, how much are you currently running? 

2014-03-03 1:30 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by fubar44 Hello everyone, I was wondering what the best course of action was to build speed using the treadmill? You see I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to running and biking outside when it is really cold. I spend most of my time on the treadmill running and the trainer biking during the winter, unless we get the unusually warm day here and there in which I run and bike outside. SO what do I need to do on the treadmill to decrease my running times. Im typically a ~9:00 mile runner (without much run training) and would like to get down into the 7:00-7:30/mile by the end of the season. Thoughts/Suggestions?

Just like you would outdoors, use the treadmill to run a variety of distances and speeds.

Things like intervals, steady state tempo runs and easy long runs will all help improve your speed. (See the posted example of paces above in the thread)

A treadmill is just another tool in the toolbox. You can set the pace and not have to think about it, which can be a really nice benefit.

2014-03-03 9:23 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
Originally posted by thebigb

Currently I'm running 3-4 miles 2x a week. I'm getting read to start the 2x Olympic training program but running is my current weak point.
2014-03-03 9:26 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by fubar44

Currently I'm running 3-4 miles 2x a week. I'm getting read to start the 2x Olympic training program but running is my current weak point.

You are not even close to doing speed work without a major risk of injury......run more.....easy.

2014-03-03 10:22 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by Left Brain

You are not even close to doing speed work without a major risk of injury......run more.....easy.

I had to check to see that I was on the right site. Now I am thinking somebody hacked Left Brains account.

2014-03-04 6:01 AM

New user
Key West

Ditto^^ You definitely risk developing plantar faciitis doing speedwork on the treadmill with so few miles run per week.
2014-03-04 6:38 AM

The next question: how much running does he/she need to be doing to incorporate speed intervals?
2014-03-04 8:56 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by runbugjones

The next question: how much running does he/she need to be doing to incorporate speed intervals?

It depends, which is why a coach is very helpful.  Every situation is unique, which is why I usually don't like the "run more, mostly easy" advice that is just thrown out without any thought to what someone is currently doing.  In the case of the OP he/she said two things that stand out.  No run training, and very little volume.....~30 mpm at most.  There is no need for speed work at that point because plenty of speed is still available by just running more....without upping the risk of injury.

If the OP would have said that they are running 25 mpw and have been at it for a year or so, and would like to know what speed intervals to do on the treadmill then my advice, based on my own experiewnce and what I have seen with other runners, would be much different.

I know young runners who do almost all speed work.....but they have conditioned their bodies to that kind of stress and it works really well for them in a plan that also includes lots of swimming and biking.

The other thing I see here alot is the advice to start intervals doing 400's or 800's.....and that may be bad advice as well.  Why not start with 50's?  or 100's?  Your body has to learn to run fast, the same as it needs to learn to run at all....and you can start with very short intervals.  To me, if you are new to interval work you have done too much or gone too hard if you are alot more sore the next day then you would be from your regular run. It's a building process....running fast is NOT the same as just running.

My beef with the whole "just run more" is that some people just learn to run slow longer, and it that's your goal, then great.  But to be fast you to have to train fast......just not right out of the gate.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-04 8:58 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building speed using treadmill Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Used treadmill what 2 look 4?

Started by whitecloud
Views: 1330 Posts: 7

2013-02-19 7:17 AM La Tortuga

5k Training on Treadmill using iPhone App

Started by steve495
Views: 2980 Posts: 12

2012-03-18 5:38 PM steve495

Treadmill for gaining speed Pages: 1 2

Started by sax
Views: 1969 Posts: 33

2008-08-13 1:59 PM big john h

Building cycling base using Turbo trainer

Started by DenisB
Views: 2417 Posts: 2

2007-09-18 9:01 AM Machiavelo

How to build bike speed?

Started by CBarnes
Views: 1414 Posts: 21

2006-07-25 4:24 PM Time2Tri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?
date : October 30, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Off season training, nutrition, faster run, strength training, treadmill and more.

date : May 3, 2005
author : smeeko
Have you ever wondered about the benefits and drawbacks of treadmill running?
date : August 31, 2004
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 31, 2004
I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.