General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone know the warning signs for plantar fasciitis??? If there are any Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-03 2:50 PM

User image

Subject: Anyone know the warning signs for plantar fasciitis??? If there are any

Are there any for PF?

I realize plantar fasciitis gets chatted about a lot here but I can't find anything on precursors to it.

I ended up in the ER in the middle of the night due to unbearable foot pain which they think is PF since the x-rays came back negative.  I have a good sports doc to go back to who coincidentally diagnosed my achillies tendonitis.  I'm wondering if I missed some warning signs since this seems out of the blue.  I just finished PT for my achillies and have been following their advice and I thought feeling good.  The achillies stuff I could kind of track to the beginning and see what went wrong.  From what I've read so far a lot of the stretching I've been doing should've helped prevent this.  Hobbling around on crutches I keep asking myself what I missed?

2014-03-03 3:32 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Subject: RE: Anyone know the warning signs for plantar fasciitis??? If there are any
Usually PF comes on more gradually and you feel something well before you need to go to the ER with such severe symptoms. Mild heel pain which then goes away as you run and it stretches out. Then you might feel something worse upon waking up in the morning-- but starts as more mild pain and tightness before it becomes unbearable.

Even so-- I had PF pain come on sort of suddenly from a bit of a strain while running. The pain was mostly at the insertion into the heel on the inside. Didn't send me to the ER though.

Is it constant or manageable now?
2014-03-03 4:04 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Anyone know the warning signs for plantar fasciitis??? If there are any
I've had PF come on suddenly while running, but too much aggresive stretching can also over-strain the plantar fascia. Needing crutches sounds pretty serious so, if it was me, I'd be very careful about recovering veeerrrrry gradually. In my experience, the fascia takes a long time to heal and, now that it's injured and weaker, it's really easy to push just a bit too hard and re-injure it. Especially once it feels better, use restraint and build the strength back slowly.
2014-03-03 4:45 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Originally posted by jennifer_runsUsually PF comes on more gradually and you feel something well before you need to go to the ER with such severe symptoms. Mild heel pain which then goes away as you run and it stretches out. Then you might feel something worse upon waking up in the morning-- but starts as more mild pain and tightness before it becomes unbearable.Even so-- I had PF pain come on sort of suddenly from a bit of a strain while running. The pain was mostly at the insertion into the heel on the inside. Didn't send me to the ER though. Is it constant or manageable now?
Both, constant but down to a tolerable level. I couldn't move my leg or really body in any fashion without severe pain in my foot before ER. They gave me pain killers which are helping. I don't know very much about PF, just what I occasionally read here. It started early Saturday morning then went away with Tylenol Saturday day. By 10 pm it was unbearable. I can kind of put weight on it now with moderate pain. It was like going zero to 60 pain wise. Last run thurs night and bike fri morning. Both in middle distance and not the hardest effort for either.
2014-03-03 4:52 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Originally posted by MicawberI've had PF come on suddenly while running, but too much aggresive stretching can also over-strain the plantar fascia. Needing crutches sounds pretty serious so, if it was me, I'd be very careful about recovering veeerrrrry gradually. In my experience, the fascia takes a long time to heal and, now that it's injured and weaker, it's really easy to push just a bit too hard and re-injure it. Especially once it feels better, use restraint and build the strength back slowly.
I've been stretching pretty regularly for 10 weeks with the PT for my Achilles. Nothing out of the ordinary there I think. It hit me about 24 hrs after my last exercise. Did you guys feel anything in advance that let you know to dial it back or does it just show up out of the blue. I got the Achilles problem from not stretching enough and at least now know that the tight calves were a sign a problem was brewing. With this everything felt good and then boom
2014-03-03 5:06 PM

User image

Pro

when I got PF a few years ago- there was no warning.  I was doing a long run for marathon training, with the last 13mi at marathon pace.  I (foolishly) tried to hold pace up a hill, and I felt this 'zing' in the bottom of my foot.  It happened in an instant.  Granted, i was overdoing it, my form had broken down and it's my fault.  But still... there wasn't any warning. It just 'went'.

not sure if my experience is typical or not.  just a sample of one.

It happened 4 weeks prior to marathon day, and I laid off it and it healed well enough for me to race.  then it sloooowly healed over a couple years to where now I barely ever notice it.  

2014-03-04 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
I must have radar for the pf threads. Sorry you're dealing with this. Most people who get in with a good program see big improvement within a few months. Having dealt with it this long I realize that tight calf muscles are a big problem. So is aggressive over stretching early in the healing process, along with inflammation that tries to cause more of a separation of the facia. But if you stop stretching the calf, it gets tighter, so catch 22. Your physician will make a plan that addresses both. When I am about to have another round of pf, I will notice the sensation of someone pulling dental floss across my heel or plantar facia area. I also will get the knife from nowhere in the heel facia area now and then which reminds me to back off the activity level to avoid really making it mad. I think you're off to a good start controlling the load with the crutch. You'll probably get relief with some type of arch support custom or otc, your doc will likely offer green super feet. Did you recently switch to a different running shoe? for recovery most docs recomend neutral cushioning category unless you have specific needs. Lastly, the night splint. I makes sense only if it doesnt cause significant pain. Its supposed to force that facia to heal in the dorsiflexed position, making it longer. Without a boot or splint the foot plantar flexes causing the area to heal in a shortened position in turn causing the facia to tear a little upon weight bearing in the a.m. First step, a good sports doc. Next the pool, and a great pair of very supportive flip flops to get back and forth from the shower. (I used orthaheels, holy cow the arch is huge in those things.)
Wishing you fast recovery
2014-03-04 8:02 PM
in reply to: mxr746

User image

Thanks for the good thoughts.From your post and the others above the weird thing is there was no warning signs that I saw or felt. I've been paying pretty close attention to how my legs feel and my last run on thurs felt fine. No issues any where that I noticed. Same thing on bike the next day, all felt good. The stretching I've been doing I don't 'think' is aggressive. All on therapists plan and took care of Achilles issues. Shoes are an interesting thought. On their advice I went back to an 8 mm heal from a 4 but it's pretty much same shoe I believe that I've been wearing for a year. I wish the crutches were just to keep the weight off but I can't get around without them. That's the other thing. The few people I know that have had PF issues haven't had it to the point they couldn't walk. Especially out of the blue. First doctors appt tomorrow but not with ortho yet. Can't seem to get in there. At this point I just want to know for sure what it is so I can take some measures to heel up.
2014-03-05 4:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Interested to hear the diagnosis and treatment. Mine was initially very severe almost as bad as yours seems to be. It has to be amazingly frustrating to get pf without warning. You don't suspect stress fracture do you?

Edited by mxr746 2014-03-05 4:29 PM
2014-03-05 9:11 PM
in reply to: mxr746

User image

Unless that doesn't show on a normal X-ray I think It can be ruled out. My family doc looked at the ER stuff and said no breaks. If I ca get an appt with a podiatrist any time soon I'll let you know. Yes it's frustrating but the pain is doing a good job of keeping my mind off it!
2014-07-05 11:44 AM

User image

No!!! I started having some heel pain during my long run on Thursday and by last night I was in so much pain I was actually sick to my stomach.
Mine sort of came on out of nowhere, so still not sure it's PF. However, the calf down to the bottom of my arch is hurting and I had throbbing pain in
my heel and down the side of my foot. I have a history of stress fractures in my feet so I think part of the reason I felt sick is because I am TERRIFIED
of injury striking my training for IMFL (my first full). I am a mess. I have been working so hard and I swear during Saturday's run I even said, "I am really getting used to this training and enjoying it. The BEST part is that I've been injury free!!" Why did I say that anyway????? I don't really have time for PT
and I need to keep training since I was sick and basically off 2 full months early in 2014. I hope you are feeling better and am up for more info as this thread continues.

Side note- my left hip also hurts, which is on the same side as the rest of the symptoms. Sort of wondered if it isn't a nerve issue as well. In
my book that would almost be better I guess. Just don't want the nerve pain to lead to other injuries due to overcompensation, which is what
happened last time I broke BOTH of my feet within a few weeks of each other. That was awful!

2014-07-05 4:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Had PF and tried so many different solutions.

What worked for me was...

1. Switched to Brooks shoes. I wear Brooks in my house because it has a concert slab.
2. Take Turmeric and ginger root every day

No PF in over 5 years.
2014-07-05 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have never had it but since I cured my wife , here is my 2 cents on PF. It started slowly for her but developed to the point that she could not run without considerable pain. She tried everything from the boot, injections and various strengthening/stretching routines. Nothing helped until I convinced her to allow me to message it. Her left fascia felt like a brick while her right foot was soft and loose. Twice each day it worked on getting the tightness out. It took about 2 weeks to work out all the tension and she could begin running again. Now she gets a tune-up once a week and I can tell each time that her foot is tightening up again.

I used my knuckles to message the plantar fascia both in line with it and especially across the ligament. The pain was considerable while I worked on her but it was the only thing that worked. She also did heel drop stretches on the stairs for her calves but I have no idea if that helped.
2014-07-06 11:45 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

It took another 3 weeks from my last post on this thread to get in to see ortho, get MRI and results. Turned out to be a stress fracture. I hope your foot is ok. Stretching , foam roller and golf ball have been a regular routine for me he last few months. I still get twinges but hope its all in my head. Plus the Achilles tendinitis keeps me preoccupied. Good luck in imfl.
2014-07-06 6:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
For me, PF and achilles issues are totally related. When I push too far or too fast, my foot aches. Just a few twinges. I ice it or go sit in the river for 20 minutes after my run. That twinge is my warming sign. I also barely run on paved roads anymore - I stick to dirt roads. I had to get three cortisone shots in 2007 to get through my triathlons and I had to bail out of the NYC marathon training last year due to PF, so I am extra careful.

Also, just to give you a weird home remedy, I use plantain for bee and mosquito bites, etc., it is a miracle plant, but I read to run it on your foot for PF. I plan to give it a try!! (Native Americans used it for sore feet, which is where it gets its name!)
http://theherbhound.blogspot.com/2013/04/plantain.html
Nancy
2014-07-06 6:10 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by morey000

when I got PF a few years ago- there was no warning.  I was doing a long run for marathon training, with the last 13mi at marathon pace.  I (foolishly) tried to hold pace up a hill, and I felt this 'zing' in the bottom of my foot.  It happened in an instant.  Granted, i was overdoing it, my form had broken down and it's my fault.  But still... there wasn't any warning. It just 'went'.

not sure if my experience is typical or not.  just a sample of one.

It happened 4 weeks prior to marathon day, and I laid off it and it healed well enough for me to race.  then it sloooowly healed over a couple years to where now I barely ever notice it.  

This is pretty much what happened to me. Mine two weeks before Marathon.

2014-07-08 11:54 AM
in reply to: bhc

User image

Originally posted by bhc

I have never had it but since I cured my wife , here is my 2 cents on PF. It started slowly for her but developed to the point that she could not run without considerable pain. She tried everything from the boot, injections and various strengthening/stretching routines. Nothing helped until I convinced her to allow me to message it. Her left fascia felt like a brick while her right foot was soft and loose. Twice each day it worked on getting the tightness out. It took about 2 weeks to work out all the tension and she could begin running again. Now she gets a tune-up once a week and I can tell each time that her foot is tightening up again.

I used my knuckles to message the plantar fascia both in line with it and especially across the ligament. The pain was considerable while I worked on her but it was the only thing that worked. She also did heel drop stretches on the stairs for her calves but I have no idea if that helped.

Great info. One of my friends said to freeze a water bottle and then stand on it and massage your foot while icing, too.
2014-07-08 11:54 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Originally posted by GODAWGS

Had PF and tried so many different solutions.

What worked for me was...

1. Switched to Brooks shoes. I wear Brooks in my house because it has a concert slab.
2. Take Turmeric and ginger root every day

No PF in over 5 years.

Thanks!
2014-08-04 7:21 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro

Originally posted by morey000

I haven't had a PF problem in years.  Now.... it's baaaaaack.  Not exactly sure why.  I haven't ramped up my mileage, holding at an average of 50mpw for months.  I did get a new pair of shoes about 90 miles ago- (Saucony Guide) which have a good amount of cushion and support, although less than my Brooks GTS although more than some of my other shoes.  three things that I've changed that might be culprits (not sure, just guesses)

1. Lower drop.  they're 8mm instead of the 11-12 that I'm used to

2. I haven't had access to my foam roller- so haven't been doing my evening ritual.

3. I haven't increased my mileage, but I have been doing weekly 5K races.  speed kills!

perhaps a combination of those three.

I haven't run the past two days to let it rest.  it's just a dull ache at this point- hardly debilitating.  Not sure which direction it's going to go.  Better?  worse?  I have one of my favorite races in 4 weeks!  which I'm really trained up and ready for.  Can I throw in the green super feet and still run?  decisions, decisions.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone know the warning signs for plantar fasciitis??? If there are any Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Plantar's Fasciitis and Recovery Time

Started by Krakatoa
Views: 38469 Posts: 12

2008-03-18 12:59 PM LindaKC

Need slipper type shoes for Plantar Fasciitis

Started by nancylee
Views: 1254 Posts: 6

2007-10-04 1:14 PM nancylee

Plantar Fasciitis Pages: 1 2

Started by johnvick
Views: 3980 Posts: 30

2007-11-12 8:02 PM SevenZulu

Plantar Fasciitis - Two pairs of socks?

Started by Reflection46n2
Views: 3077 Posts: 9

2006-02-02 9:32 AM klbarrus

arch pains/plantar fasciitis

Started by trilover
Views: 1032 Posts: 6

2004-06-18 9:58 AM jamma
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 6
Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.

date : December 28, 2009
comments : 3
I have had Plantar Fasciitis in both feet for 5 years, orthotics have finally helped where I can run again. Are there recommendations beyond ice and stretching?
date : October 28, 2009
comments : 1
I think I have Plantar Faciitis? The bottom of my foot is sore in front of the heel in the mornings. It sort of gets better during the day, I can run without increasing in pain.