General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Been thinking of getting off the couch... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-03 4:51 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, New Zealand
Subject: Been thinking of getting off the couch...
Hi team, been a while since I posted on here...because I have been on the couch. Not sure why I am posting but maybe the reasoning will unfold for me, and hopefully then you, over the next few paragraphs.

So a few years ago, weighing 128 kg (282lbs) I took up triathlon as a way to get motivated, after meeting a guy who had done the same. I started by doing a 500m/20km/5km tri like most of us, then an Olympic distance. Over the following 2 years I kept going, and to cut a long story short, I ended up doing 3 x half IM's, and then finally entered New Zealands Taupo Ironman in 2010. I finished in 13 hours 23 mins, and throughout the 2 year journey I lost a fair bit of weight (hit the start line at 107kg/235 lbs). Loved the whole experience.

However since then, I progressively let it all slide. In the first year I enjoyed the 'residual fitness' I had left over, and I did a few offroad running events (20km +), but mostly stopped training. Eventually we (family & I) decided that my bike was becoming a wall ornament in the garage, so we sold that and sold my GPS watch and all the other bits...the rest is history, as they say.

So here we are in 2014, I am back at 120kg. But...the family & I went and watched a mate at Ironman NZ last weekend. And I wanna do it again.

I started swimming again a month ago, and it is amazing how quickly the body 'remembers'. Within a few sessions I am back up to being able to swim 1.5km at a time. It was my strongest leg during my previous events anyway.

I would have to buy a bike (is it just me or have they gone up in price? LOL) and then start the running again. I ran offroad last weekend and completed 11km...felt good. A bit of walking, especially up hills (no clydes are friends with hills right?).

So I think I can build my endurance up enough in the next 12 months to do this. I'm not concerned about the time I take to do it, I just want to 1) get fit again and 2) enjoy the whole buzz of doing IM. So I dont mind if I have a 7-8 hour cycle and walk the marathon, as long as I hit less than 17 hours.

Last time around I had only the odd twinge/body breakdown issue, which was early signs of shin splints. Got it right and the end of the training program, and backed off the miles and ran offroad, and it all went away. So I am thinking my body might handle this. BTW I am now 43 years old.

What do we all think? Can I get back up to IM distance within the next 12 months?

2014-03-04 10:50 PM
in reply to: #4958860

Subject: RE: Been thinking of getting off the couch...
Absolutely you can! You know what you gotta do, and you know how to do it, now you just gotta get doin it. I think it's reasonable to believe that you can be in ironman shape in a year. I have never completed one, but there is an ironman in my town (ironman CdA), and I usually go watch. Every year I am impressed and inspired by the Clydes who come to T2 way ahead of more "fit" looking people. Sometimes hours. Go do it!
2014-03-04 10:51 PM
in reply to: #4959748

Also, stop by the Clyde/athena mentor group and share your experience with us!
2014-03-05 9:34 AM
in reply to: bigfella3

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'd certainly encourage you to get out training again.

You mentioned that you lost weight previously, but don't talk about your diet at all.  Training by itself isn't enough to trim down, you need to be eating cleaner also.

Good luck to you.

Mark 

2014-03-06 3:02 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Regular
Auckland, New Zealand
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I'd certainly encourage you to get out training again.

You mentioned that you lost weight previously, but don't talk about your diet at all.  Training by itself isn't enough to trim down, you need to be eating cleaner also.

Good luck to you.

Mark 

Yes good point - that is a part that I really struggle with. I have way too many carbs in my diet, but I seem to have an addiction to them. Looking around the BT site & community there are a lot of resources there, so I might have a browse and see what I can find.

Ona further update - I have found a great LBS that has a really supportive guy, and they have a nice Felt tri bike range, so thinking hard about whether to get a carbon bike to give me that 'kick-off' I need!

Thanks for your comments.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Been thinking of getting off the couch... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I think I am in trouble!

Started by Xuracing
Views: 2523 Posts: 18

2010-08-04 1:28 PM BikerGrrrl

Couch to 40km charity ride?

Started by coombsy
Views: 4681 Posts: 7

2010-06-15 10:32 PM coombsy

Couch to Sprint in 5 months?

Started by kiernansmum
Views: 3020 Posts: 9

2009-05-04 9:13 PM losta

I am so flipping sick of training...I think I'll just spin for a while

Started by josterme
Views: 2271 Posts: 9

2008-09-19 11:11 PM ceiph

COUCH TO 1/2 IRONMAN IN 6 MOS!!! Pages: 1 2

Started by lasvegas99
Views: 5143 Posts: 39

2007-11-07 6:18 PM Aikidoman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.