Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Complicated Travel. Tips? Secrets? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-05 9:20 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Complicated Travel. Tips? Secrets?

Originally posted by kcarroll I've flown dogs commercially and never had a problem. There are a number of pet relocation services some of which offer ground transport. Never used the ground option but it might be worth checking out. If however the dog is anxious about travel in general, ground transport will extend the amount of time he's stressed. Eta. You didn't mention timing but airlines have restrictions on the temps/months they will take pets in cargo. PHX would be a market that would have some limits. I'm assuming your travel is coming up fairly soon so this prob won't be an issue.

He LOVES car rides. I'm sure he'd be fine flying on the airplane. It's the part where I have to drag him into/out of the airport in his crate that I think he'd go in to full on doggy panic mode

2014-03-05 9:22 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mehaner

learned about this organization a few weeks ago:

http://www.dogsondeployment.org/

maybe they can match you up with a foster and you can skip the whole mess?

I'd LOVE to find a place that would take him that is close to where I'll be training. I'd visit ALL THE TIME. I'll look into that - I actually knew about it, but never realized that they'd take him for extended TDY that isn't' a deployment. 

Thanks

2014-03-05 10:15 AM
in reply to: jford2309

Originally posted by jford2309

I know Budget is one of the only rental agencies that does not add additional chatrges for one way rentals.

this is great info - never knew there was a car rental company that didn't charge extra. they shall be my new favorite
2014-03-05 10:17 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

so if you had a place to leave him in Arizona, it would be helpful? I have family in Tucson that might be willing to take him in - what kind of dog, and more importantly, is he accident free and what about running away?
2014-03-05 10:30 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

You do?  I've been around dogs and people flying dogs my entire adult life and I've never heard a single story like that. 

I've read horror stories on the internet - but *if* I thought Duke could fly, he'd fly direct to avoid most of those issues. And on a red-eye from PHX to PHL.

I looked.... the number of pets that die in flight avg. about 30 for every 600,000.  I bet the percentage is MUCH higher, per day, for dogs just walking around being dogs,.

Yeah.

Most of the issues I heard of were with things like layovers, long delays, and not so healthy mutts. Direct, red-eye flight would be the way to go, for sure.

I'm starting to more seriously consider this option.

How does one get a 75lb dog in a crate from the car to the check-in counter?

2014-03-05 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.

You do?  I've been around dogs and people flying dogs my entire adult life and I've never heard a single story like that. 

I've read horror stories on the internet - but *if* I thought Duke could fly, he'd fly direct to avoid most of those issues. And on a red-eye from PHX to PHL.

I looked.... the number of pets that die in flight avg. about 30 for every 600,000.  I bet the percentage is MUCH higher, per day, for dogs just walking around being dogs,.

Yeah.

Most of the issues I heard of were with things like layovers, long delays, and not so healthy mutts. Direct, red-eye flight would be the way to go, for sure.

not sure if all airlines are the same, but United, in Houston at least, has a special check-in/pick-ip place for animals. they let you drive right up to the check-in area and actually park while you take care of business. they also have floor dolleys and other resources to help move big crates from car to check-in area. might need to check with the airline you use and specificaly ask about this stuff. United even has temp-controled trucks that transport the animals from the terminal to the plane for loading.

2014-03-05 3:31 PM
in reply to: antlimon166

User image

Pro

Originally posted by antlimon166

Yeah.

not sure if all airlines are the same, but United, in Houston at least, has a special check-in/pick-ip place for animals. they let you drive right up to the check-in area and actually park while you take care of business. they also have floor dolleys and other resources to help move big crates from car to check-in area. might need to check with the airline you use and specificaly ask about this stuff. United even has temp-controled trucks that transport the animals from the terminal to the plane for loading.

That would be AWESOME! Thanks!

2014-03-06 6:42 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario
I wish Ontario was closer I would take him for you.

2014-03-06 10:43 AM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Pro

Update!

Contacted Dogs on Deployment - my situation is one in which they can help, so I'm looking for boarding for him in the area where I'll be training. 

Flying - Only direct PHX to PHL flights are on US Air, who doesn't take dogs as cargo. Plus, with the 85 degree limit, even a red eye in May might be a problem.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Complicated Travel. Tips? Secrets? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Tips for Travel To England

Started by csharp1171
Views: 1550 Posts: 22

2012-04-17 4:10 PM GreenMtnLabbit

Secret (or not-so-secret) Gross (not-so-gross) Habits You May or May Not Have Pages: 1 2 3

Started by TriAya
Views: 7068 Posts: 60

2014-04-22 7:37 PM braciole

Give a BT'er a 'secret' Secret Service Code name...

Started by Spokes
Views: 557 Posts: 11

2007-06-19 7:21 AM Opus

The Mac's dirty secret.....GULP!

Started by The Mac
Views: 1159 Posts: 23

2006-08-02 12:25 PM ride_like_u_stole_it

Travel tips for NZ?

Started by madkat
Views: 792 Posts: 15

2005-08-17 10:45 PM splerph
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 16, 2012
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Homestays vs hotels, eating and flying with your bike.

date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.
date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.