Other Resources The Political Joe » Teen suing parents for financial support Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-03-06 12:22 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Teen suing parents for financial support

Originally posted by Moonrocket
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by Left Brain

I drove my son tonight to meet a charter bus, along with 28 of his teammates, on it's way to a USA swimming Sectional Championship meet in Jenks, Ok.  Those 29 kids, and thousands like them across the country, are up at 4am most mornings to make a swim practice before school.  Many of them also participate in after school sports and still manage to get their homework done and keep their grades up.  They don't know what a Friday night party is because they also have to be up at 5 am on Saturday.  Their teachers love them, their friends (and even those who are on the wrong path) respect them, and they prop each other up on days that don't go well.  They have already learned the value of hard work and sacrifice....and standing up to brush yourself off.  They are not featured on CNN, most of us will never know their names, and they measure the success of hundreds of miles of swimming and hard work in 1/1000 of a second of improvement....and rejoice in those small gains.  Most of them will come home on Sunday disappointed that they didn't get their Jr. National cuts......and Monday they will be back at the pool to keep trying to be better.

No matter what you read....they are, and always have been, a part of the next generation that keeps our way of life moving forward.  "Teen Suing Parent" would crack them up.

I'm not worried.

As I said, I'm not either. Both my kids were involved in FIRST Robotics. They gave up nights and weekends to build their robots and travel to competitions. Imagine a stadium completely filled with kids working on robots, and the stands filled with supporters cheering for their teams. Building the robots require skills from welding and machining to CAD and programming. The kids come from all backgrounds, but the one thing they have in common is that they are all motivated and smart. LB sums it up perfectly.

I had no idea there was such a thing....that's really cool. Unfortunately, when you put all of us together at the dinner table our collective IQ can't come together to even spell robotics. 

You just lied. Shame on you! Actually, look up some of  the video, they are incredibly cool. And in case you didn't know, I'm a geek, which is an inheritable trait. What's funny is my kids are taking entirely different career paths (Chef and an Engineer), but both have known what they wanted to do since the start of High School. How many of us can say that?

I did look it up, and it IS cool as hell. 

Your kids are lucky.....I also knew what I wanted to do from the time I was a very young boy.  I have never once in my life felt like I was going "to work".

My 6th grade teacher told me she thought I would be a scientist when I grew up. She was half right

I was thinking about this. I know drive comes from within, but my parent's always worked hard, and I and my ex always worked hard. The kids are surrounded by other students who competed to get into these programs. If you're surrounded by success (however you want to measure that), it increases the odds dramatically. The opposite also holds true.

How do you explain all of the sibling sets that turn out so completely different though?

Mutations or the milkman.

People are different. However, all studies support a positive statistical correlation between families in an advantaged socioeconomic group and student achievement. Same correlation exists for parental involvement and student achievement.

2014-03-06 12:47 PM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kevin_trapp

Originally posted by Moonrocket Anyone else feel this is a whole elaborate scheme to get out of being a part of the financial aid picture for the parents? I call conspiracy. Pay 13k for lawyer avoid 100k in college payments.

Absolutely not.  The articles I've read from American news outlets seem to just be focused the overall lawsuit in general, but the Daily Mail has a thorough write-up of the whole case and back story.  She's thrown out some real serious allegations; physical, mental, and sexual abuse.  That's not the kind of stuff you claim against your parents just to avoid some college bills.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2574016/EXCLUSIVE-Now-PARENTS-war-Father-boyfriend-accused-corrupting-cheerleader-whos-suing-mom-dad-furiously-hits-claims-drove-home-drunk-3-30am.html

Did you read that whole article?  If so, that's strong work......I got through about 4 or 5 paragraphs and I had to get away from sharp objects so i wouldn't stab myself in the eyes.

I just don't care.....at all.

2014-03-06 1:18 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by kevin_trapp

Originally posted by Moonrocket Anyone else feel this is a whole elaborate scheme to get out of being a part of the financial aid picture for the parents? I call conspiracy. Pay 13k for lawyer avoid 100k in college payments.

Absolutely not.  The articles I've read from American news outlets seem to just be focused the overall lawsuit in general, but the Daily Mail has a thorough write-up of the whole case and back story.  She's thrown out some real serious allegations; physical, mental, and sexual abuse.  That's not the kind of stuff you claim against your parents just to avoid some college bills.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2574016/EXCLUSIVE-Now-PARENTS-war-Father-boyfriend-accused-corrupting-cheerleader-whos-suing-mom-dad-furiously-hits-claims-drove-home-drunk-3-30am.html

Did you read that whole article?  If so, that's strong work......I got through about 4 or 5 paragraphs and I had to get away from sharp objects so i wouldn't stab myself in the eyes.

I just don't care.....at all.

Eh, slow day at work. It was either read that or watch cat videos.

2014-03-06 4:06 PM
in reply to: SWFLFATGUY

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by SWFLFATGUY I guess my rambling thoughts were that anyone who has children, by definition, is a parent .... whether they actually parent their children or not. Aaaand, at the same time, I've seen kids with great parents who just didn't turn out well. I suppose my bad analogy would be .... I have a lot of yard tools in my shed but no one calls me a landscaper because they may see me once in a while with a shovel in my hand. To me, one has to "PARENT" to deserve being called a "PARENT", not just produce off-spring. LB, you sound like you are involved with your family, enjoy experiencing their trials/successes/failures and likely attempt to impart your wisdom on them as they grow towards becoming adults and evenutal parents themselves. I would also suspect based on some of your previous posts you discipline your children when needed. That to me is parentlng and you deserve to called a parent ... OR, maybe further to my ramblings ... perhaps even bad parents who don't parent should be called parents but they don't deserve to be called mothers and fathers .... maybe that is equally confusing ... Hoooooooooly FRI-joleeeeees .... where did all this come from. LB .... I agree with you ... "wait, what?" Is it Friday yet .... who let the goat out???? Where's my beer??? Look it's raining here, we now have a waterspout in the area with tornado sirens going off ... am I a parent? Bruce

I totally get what you're saying and even agree with you, but as you mentioned earlier all parents parent their children, it's just that many are not very good at it and it causes issues.  They're still a "parent", just not a very good one.

The way you describe it, is that you cannot be called a parent unless you are a "good parent".  However, that's not really the case because then we couldn't have "bad parents".  ;-)   Like I said, it's just nit picking because I agree with your premise.

I went to a Tim Tebow speaking event last year and he touched on a similar topic when it comes to athletes being role models.  He said he had a team mate that refused to be a role model for kids and lived life like a wild man.  Tebow told him he absolutely was a role model whether he wanted to be or not, he just wasn't a very good one. 

Parenting is similar IMHO because if you're sucking on the crack pipe in front of your kids you're having an effect on them whether you admit it or not.

2014-03-06 4:12 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Moonrocket

I drove my son tonight to meet a charter bus, along with 28 of his teammates, on it's way to a USA swimming Sectional Championship meet in Jenks, Ok.  Those 29 kids, and thousands like them across the country, are up at 4am most mornings to make a swim practice before school.  Many of them also participate in after school sports and still manage to get their homework done and keep their grades up.  They don't know what a Friday night party is because they also have to be up at 5 am on Saturday.  Their teachers love them, their friends (and even those who are on the wrong path) respect them, and they prop each other up on days that don't go well.  They have already learned the value of hard work and sacrifice....and standing up to brush yourself off.  They are not featured on CNN, most of us will never know their names, and they measure the success of hundreds of miles of swimming and hard work in 1/1000 of a second of improvement....and rejoice in those small gains.  Most of them will come home on Sunday disappointed that they didn't get their Jr. National cuts......and Monday they will be back at the pool to keep trying to be better.

No matter what you read....they are, and always have been, a part of the next generation that keeps our way of life moving forward.  "Teen Suing Parent" would crack them up.

I'm not worried.

As I said, I'm not either. Both my kids were involved in FIRST Robotics. They gave up nights and weekends to build their robots and travel to competitions. Imagine a stadium completely filled with kids working on robots, and the stands filled with supporters cheering for their teams. Building the robots require skills from welding and machining to CAD and programming. The kids come from all backgrounds, but the one thing they have in common is that they are all motivated and smart. LB sums it up perfectly.

I had no idea there was such a thing....that's really cool. Unfortunately, when you put all of us together at the dinner table our collective IQ can't come together to even spell robotics. 

You just lied. Shame on you! Actually, look up some of  the video, they are incredibly cool. And in case you didn't know, I'm a geek, which is an inheritable trait. What's funny is my kids are taking entirely different career paths (Chef and an Engineer), but both have known what they wanted to do since the start of High School. How many of us can say that?

I did look it up, and it IS cool as hell. 

Your kids are lucky.....I also knew what I wanted to do from the time I was a very young boy.  I have never once in my life felt like I was going "to work".

My 6th grade teacher told me she thought I would be a scientist when I grew up. She was half right

I was thinking about this. I know drive comes from within, but my parent's always worked hard, and I and my ex always worked hard. The kids are surrounded by other students who competed to get into these programs. If you're surrounded by success (however you want to measure that), it increases the odds dramatically. The opposite also holds true.

How do you explain all of the sibling sets that turn out so completely different though?

All kids are different and even as parents we treat all of our kids differently, even when we try not to.  So, they will always be different.  However, to Brian's point the overall bar is raised for everyone who is surrounded by success.  If you have an IQ of X you will overall be more successful if you're surrounded by high achievers versus being surrounded by low achievers.

That doesn't mean people won't over or under achieve, but it does have an effect.

I could go on for hours of incredibly intelligent people in my family who are sitting on welfare because they've been surrounded by slackers their entire life.  I overachieved and got out of that world, but I'm the rare exception because I can't think of a single relative (including over 100 cousins) that has a college degree.  I would say less than 30% even graduated high school, yet many of my cousins have all the genetic gifts that I do.

2014-03-07 6:05 AM
in reply to: tuwood

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
All good points. We are in full agreement.

2014-03-07 3:15 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Three pages and no one has mentioned that the girl is kinda cute. Political Joe really is it's own world.

2014-03-07 4:30 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Pro

I couldn't, she looks like my sister.

2014-03-08 10:08 AM

User image

Have you seen her facebook page about this?

https://www.facebook.com/educationforrachel
Suburban baby boomer types are the spoiled lot, they make massive amount of money a year, they are used to flying to luxury destinations when they want, and buy things that they don't need, people should be inclined to see things Rachel's way.

We have been stunned by the financial greed of modern parents who are more concerned with retiring into some fantasy world rather than provide for their children's college and young adult years.

In today's economy there are no more meaningful jobs and without family help it's usually military or bust. We see parents like this every day, children were always an accessory to them and nothing more, once that accessory grew up and went out of fashion, much like a marriage that people allegedly commit to, the child becomes a throwaway, that's just how it is.
2014-03-10 10:48 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by DanielG Have you seen her facebook page about this? https://www.facebook.com/educationforrachel
Suburban baby boomer types are the spoiled lot, they make massive amount of money a year, they are used to flying to luxury destinations when they want, and buy things that they don't need, people should be inclined to see things Rachel's way. We have been stunned by the financial greed of modern parents who are more concerned with retiring into some fantasy world rather than provide for their children's college and young adult years. In today's economy there are no more meaningful jobs and without family help it's usually military or bust. We see parents like this every day, children were always an accessory to them and nothing more, once that accessory grew up and went out of fashion, much like a marriage that people allegedly commit to, the child becomes a throwaway, that's just how it is.

I'm seriously wondering if that is a Troll FB page?  

2014-03-10 10:51 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by DanielG Have you seen her facebook page about this? https://www.facebook.com/educationforrachel
Suburban baby boomer types are the spoiled lot, they make massive amount of money a year, they are used to flying to luxury destinations when they want, and buy things that they don't need, people should be inclined to see things Rachel's way. We have been stunned by the financial greed of modern parents who are more concerned with retiring into some fantasy world rather than provide for their children's college and young adult years. In today's economy there are no more meaningful jobs and without family help it's usually military or bust. We see parents like this every day, children were always an accessory to them and nothing more, once that accessory grew up and went out of fashion, much like a marriage that people allegedly commit to, the child becomes a throwaway, that's just how it is.

I'm pretty sure it is.  

The earlier comments looked like it was her posting, but they switched to third person in most of the recent comments.  Many of the comments "by her" are pretty far out there and anyone currently in litigation would never post stuff like that.

2014-03-10 11:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by crowny2

What got me is not actually that page nor even that posting. What got me was how many agreed with it in the comments sections of various papers.

Kinda makes me wonder if there's a complete and utter disconnect in views on financial responsibility between generations. Then again I'm guessing there is when Occupy Wall Street started talking about across the board forgiving all student loans as a viable demand.

Another thing that makes me wonder is if she didn't agree with it, why didn't she delete the post?

Edited by DanielG 2014-03-10 11:15 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Teen suing parents for financial support Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

I figured out who I'm supporting for the 2016 election

Started by tuwood
Views: 1600 Posts: 5

2013-10-20 8:33 AM strykergt

The wife of an armed robbery suspect shot dead by a shop clerk sues clerk

Started by DanielG
Views: 859 Posts: 2

2013-05-30 10:00 AM RockTractor
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : BellaDad
comments : 8
Moms and Dads, here are the five ways I’ve learned to succeed at triathlon and keep the peace at home.

date : March 21, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Striving to eat a perfect diet commonly results in deprivation of foods you truly like to eat. You will inevitably end up binging on those foods, sooner or later. Learn how to eat normally.
date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.

date : October 2, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
As a sports-parent, you can be a good role model for athleticism and healthful food choices. What can you do to regain control without becoming the food police?
date : February 28, 2005
author : mamakt
comments : 0
Be a better mother/wife/employee by putting yourself first.

date : September 11, 2004
author : westfried
Fact is, it's tough. Best bet is to do the training that you can, and let the chips fall where they may.
date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.