Other Resources The Political Joe » Teen suing parents for financial support Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-03-05 3:17 PM
in reply to: JoshR

Subject: RE: Teen suing parents for financial support
Originally posted by JoshR

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Kidding aside, the stupid Fafsa rules seem to play into this a bit as well. Quick search shows that your parents income counts on the Fafsa application until you are age 24. This girl appears to be from a well off family so she is not going to get any help from Fafsa on paying for school, if her parents won't help either then she is royally screwed. 

Unless there is some way to prove your parents are willing to contribute? Emancipation?

Correct, the only way I know of to get your parents off the FAFSA before 24 is by getting hitched. That's going off my memory of trying to figure that out when I was out on my own but going to school.

This is actually incorrect. My parents were not on my FAFSA. We had a big falling out when I was 18, I did a visit to a social worker, social workers wrote a letter stating not healthy for me to have contact with my parents, and BAM, FAFSA gave me the exception to the requirement.

I'm thinking this girl can simply say, "google my name for the reason I don't have their info for the FAFSA"

2014-03-05 3:51 PM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by gotbitten

Kidding aside, the stupid Fafsa rules seem to play into this a bit as well. Quick search shows that your parents income counts on the Fafsa application until you are age 24. This girl appears to be from a well off family so she is not going to get any help from Fafsa on paying for school, if her parents won't help either then she is royally screwed. 

Unless there is some way to prove your parents are willing to contribute? Emancipation?

Correct, the only way I know of to get your parents off the FAFSA before 24 is by getting hitched. That's going off my memory of trying to figure that out when I was out on my own but going to school.

This is actually incorrect. My parents were not on my FAFSA. We had a big falling out when I was 18, I did a visit to a social worker, social workers wrote a letter stating not healthy for me to have contact with my parents, and BAM, FAFSA gave me the exception to the requirement.

I'm thinking this girl can simply say, "google my name for the reason I don't have their info for the FAFSA"

When was this? They've changed the rules around. I know other posters have mentioned they did this, but it's more difficult now than it used to be.

Undergraduate students who are under age 24 as of December 31 of the award year are considered to be dependent for federal student aid purposes unless they are married, have dependents other than a spouse, are an orphan, are a veteran or active duty member of the US Armed Forces or satisfy other very limited criteria. If a student who is under age 24 doesn’t satisfy one of these criteria, the odds of being considered independent are very slim.

http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/3099-ask-kantro-how-d...
2014-03-05 4:13 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by popsracer

The disturbing part of this whole thing is the entitlement mentality of this generation.  I have dealt with it at a personal level and it really is sad.  I was glad the judge stated the obvious in his ruling.  I fear some ultra-liberal judges may have felt differently. 

You sound like an old man.

I am an old man.  A grumpy old man.  Damn kids.  When I was young.....

2014-03-05 4:35 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

This is actually incorrect. My parents were not on my FAFSA. We had a big falling out when I was 18, I did a visit to a social worker, social workers wrote a letter stating not healthy for me to have contact with my parents, and BAM, FAFSA gave me the exception to the requirement. I'm thinking this girl can simply say, "google my name for the reason I don't have their info for the FAFSA"
When was this? They've changed the rules around. I know other posters have mentioned they did this, but it's more difficult now than it used to be.
Undergraduate students who are under age 24 as of December 31 of the award year are considered to be dependent for federal student aid purposes unless they are married, have dependents other than a spouse, are an orphan, are a veteran or active duty member of the US Armed Forces or satisfy other very limited criteria. If a student who is under age 24 doesn’t satisfy one of these criteria, the odds of being considered independent are very slim.

Here you go Josh:  https://fafsa.ed.gov/fotw1314/help/fahelp29a.htm

Note: Although students whose parents refuse support are not eligible for a dependency override, the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA) granted that such students may receive unsubsidized Stafford loans only. For a student to be eligible for this provision you must get documentation (1) the parents refuse to provide information on the FAFSA and (2) that they do not and will not provide any financial support to the student. Include the date support ended. If the parents refuse to sign and date a statement to this effect, you must get documentation from a third party (the student himself is not sufficient), such as a teacher, counselor, cleric, or court. As noted above, this situation does not justify a dependency override.

They still only get unsubsidized Stafford loans that start accruing interest immediately but can get student loans.  Even if your dad is Bill gates you get $5k in subsidized Stafford loans (no interest in deferment), but anything over that is based on your EFC unless you have a special circumstance outlined above.

The other piece is that the EFC is based on all children.  I'm in a situation right now where my oldest is a Freshmen in college and our EFC is over $25k and his total tuition and housing is around $21k.  So, he has $5k on a Stafford Subsidized loan and the rest is on a private loan (or paid out of pocket).  However, once his brother starts school (in 2 years) we'll still likely have the same EFC but combined the kids will be at $42k, so they'll each be eligible for roughly $10k each in subsidized Stafford loans.

The system is really jacked up because our oldest will get jacked for two years on unsubsidized loans.  The middle one will skate out almost completely and our youngest will get jacked on the back end when both of her brothers graduate.  It's a crazy system that makes no sense.  Kind of like all other "fairness" programs.

2014-03-05 5:07 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by tuwood

This is actually incorrect. My parents were not on my FAFSA. We had a big falling out when I was 18, I did a visit to a social worker, social workers wrote a letter stating not healthy for me to have contact with my parents, and BAM, FAFSA gave me the exception to the requirement. I'm thinking this girl can simply say, "google my name for the reason I don't have their info for the FAFSA"

Here you go Josh:  https://fafsa.ed.gov/fotw1314/help/fahelp29a.htm

Note: Although students whose parents refuse support are not eligible for a dependency override, the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA) granted that such students may receive unsubsidized Stafford loans only. For a student to be eligible for this provision you must get documentation (1) the parents refuse to provide information on the FAFSA and (2) that they do not and will not provide any financial support to the student. Include the date support ended. If the parents refuse to sign and date a statement to this effect, you must get documentation from a third party (the student himself is not sufficient), such as a teacher, counselor, cleric, or court. As noted above, this situation does not justify a dependency override.

They still only get unsubsidized Stafford loans that start accruing interest immediately but can get student loans.  Even if your dad is Bill gates you get $5k in subsidized Stafford loans (no interest in deferment), but anything over that is based on your EFC unless you have a special circumstance outlined above.

The other piece is that the EFC is based on all children.  I'm in a situation right now where my oldest is a Freshmen in college and our EFC is over $25k and his total tuition and housing is around $21k.  So, he has $5k on a Stafford Subsidized loan and the rest is on a private loan (or paid out of pocket).  However, once his brother starts school (in 2 years) we'll still likely have the same EFC but combined the kids will be at $42k, so they'll each be eligible for roughly $10k each in subsidized Stafford loans.

The system is really jacked up because our oldest will get jacked for two years on unsubsidized loans.  The middle one will skate out almost completely and our youngest will get jacked on the back end when both of her brothers graduate.  It's a crazy system that makes no sense.  Kind of like all other "fairness" programs.

The system is beyond screwed up. We're looking at whole generations of people who are going to be held back by the immense debt they will need to get through school.
2014-03-05 5:45 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro

The disturbing part of this whole thing is the entitlement mentality of this generation.  I have dealt with it at a personal level and it really is sad.  I was glad the judge stated the obvious in his ruling.  I fear some ultra-liberal judges may have felt differently. 

Ha!   You know, I think every middle aged and older person has probably said something along the lines of "the disturbing part of this whole thing is the entitlement of this generation".......along with "TURN THAT $HIT DOWN!!!"   

Still, from what I see.....we're in good hands with these kids as our future.

2014-03-05 5:48 PM

User image

Ha!   You know, I think every middle aged and older person has probably said something along the lines of "the disturbing part of this whole thing is the entitlement of this generation".......along with "TURN THAT $HIT DOWN!!!"   

Still, from what I see.....we're in good hands with these kids as our future.

I thought that with the ACA that 26 was the new 18? What's wrong with these parents abandoning this poor girl? 

It's child abuse, straight up!!

2014-03-05 7:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I drove my son tonight to meet a charter bus, along with 28 of his teammates, on it's way to a USA swimming Sectional Championship meet in Jenks, Ok.  Those 29 kids, and thousands like them across the country, are up at 4am most mornings to make a swim practice before school.  Many of them also participate in after school sports and still manage to get their homework done and keep their grades up.  They don't know what a Friday night party is because they also have to be up at 5 am on Saturday.  Their teachers love them, their friends (and even those who are on the wrong path) respect them, and they prop each other up on days that don't go well.  They have already learned the value of hard work and sacrifice....and standing up to brush yourself off.  They are not featured on CNN, most of us will never know their names, and they measure the success of hundreds of miles of swimming and hard work in 1/1000 of a second of improvement....and rejoice in those small gains.  Most of them will come home on Sunday disappointed that they didn't get their Jr. National cuts......and Monday they will be back at the pool to keep trying to be better.

No matter what you read....they are, and always have been, a part of the next generation that keeps our way of life moving forward.  "Teen Suing Parent" would crack them up.

I'm not worried.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-05 7:54 PM
2014-03-06 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I have to agree with LB, but simply from a statistical outlook. News is consistently bringing up the lower end of society. I figure there are roughly 4,000,000 people her age in America, give or take a few. How many stories about the good kids do we not hear about? How many of them are going to do the work they need to do every day? How many go on mission trips to help orphans in third world countries?  How many are giving of themselves in our own towns, working in soup kitchens or with Habitat for Humanity or the like?  How many are in research facilities, looking for answers that we struggle with daily like cancer, heart diesease, and such? I feel much better about our future after I do the math.

2014-03-06 8:16 AM

User image

Pro

I drove my son tonight to meet a charter bus, along with 28 of his teammates, on it's way to a USA swimming Sectional Championship meet in Jenks, Ok.  Those 29 kids, and thousands like them across the country, are up at 4am most mornings to make a swim practice before school.  Many of them also participate in after school sports and still manage to get their homework done and keep their grades up.  They don't know what a Friday night party is because they also have to be up at 5 am on Saturday.  Their teachers love them, their friends (and even those who are on the wrong path) respect them, and they prop each other up on days that don't go well.  They have already learned the value of hard work and sacrifice....and standing up to brush yourself off.  They are not featured on CNN, most of us will never know their names, and they measure the success of hundreds of miles of swimming and hard work in 1/1000 of a second of improvement....and rejoice in those small gains.  Most of them will come home on Sunday disappointed that they didn't get their Jr. National cuts......and Monday they will be back at the pool to keep trying to be better.

No matter what you read....they are, and always have been, a part of the next generation that keeps our way of life moving forward.  "Teen Suing Parent" would crack them up.

I'm not worried.

As I said, I'm not either. Both my kids were involved in FIRST Robotics. They gave up nights and weekends to build their robots and travel to competitions. Imagine a stadium completely filled with kids working on robots, and the stands filled with supporters cheering for their teams. Building the robots require skills from welding and machining to CAD and programming. The kids come from all backgrounds, but the one thing they have in common is that they are all motivated and smart. LB sums it up perfectly.

2014-03-06 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls

I'm not worried.

Twice I have checked into hotels where a college swim meet was being held. Never seen a better bunch of young folks. You'd think that there would be pandemonium with 300+ college students in your hotel (at least there was when I was in school). Never with swimmers.

2014-03-06 8:59 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

I'm not worried.

As I said, I'm not either. Both my kids were involved in FIRST Robotics. They gave up nights and weekends to build their robots and travel to competitions. Imagine a stadium completely filled with kids working on robots, and the stands filled with supporters cheering for their teams. Building the robots require skills from welding and machining to CAD and programming. The kids come from all backgrounds, but the one thing they have in common is that they are all motivated and smart. LB sums it up perfectly.

I had no idea there was such a thing....that's really cool. Unfortunately, when you put all of us together at the dinner table our collective IQ can't come together to even spell robotics. 

2014-03-06 9:19 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by pitt83

Twice I have checked into hotels where a college swim meet was being held. Never seen a better bunch of young folks. You'd think that there would be pandemonium with 300+ college students in your hotel (at least there was when I was in school). Never with swimmers.

I was just in a restaurant in Austin this weekend where they started moving many of the tables together. My wife and I were almost finished with our meal and decided we needed to hurry up before the big, most likely loud, group showed up.

It was the Iowa State swim team. They were surprisingly very well behaved.

2014-03-06 9:38 AM
in reply to: tuwood

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
I find it interesting that we use the term "parents" when folks have children, despite whether they actually parent or not. Well, I guess everyone who has children, technically, is "parenting". Perhaps it is more about consistent and effective "parenting" than just being a genetic material donor and financial provider. I see a lot of examples of bad parenting, usually exemplified by bad child behavior.

I'm not blaming the parents in the case noted within this thread. I don't know enough of either side in this case .... I guess sometimes, kids just turn out bad despite best intentions and efforts. Just thinking out loud here about how having children makes you a parent I suppose, although it doesn't qualify one as a good parent.
2014-03-06 9:55 AM
in reply to: SWFLFATGUY

User image

Originally posted by SWFLFATGUY

I find it interesting that we use the term "parents" when folks have children, despite whether they actually parent or not. Well, I guess everyone who has children, technically, is "parenting". Perhaps it is more about consistent and effective "parenting" than just being a genetic material donor and financial provider. I see a lot of examples of bad parenting, usually exemplified by bad child behavior.

I'm not blaming the parents in the case noted within this thread. I don't know enough of either side in this case .... I guess sometimes, kids just turn out bad despite best intentions and efforts. Just thinking out loud here about how having children makes you a parent I suppose, although it doesn't qualify one as a good parent.

So, what should we rename "parent cells" to be?

2014-03-06 10:21 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG
Originally posted by SWFLFATGUY I find it interesting that we use the term "parents" when folks have children, despite whether they actually parent or not. Well, I guess everyone who has children, technically, is "parenting". Perhaps it is more about consistent and effective "parenting" than just being a genetic material donor and financial provider. I see a lot of examples of bad parenting, usually exemplified by bad child behavior. I'm not blaming the parents in the case noted within this thread. I don't know enough of either side in this case .... I guess sometimes, kids just turn out bad despite best intentions and efforts. Just thinking out loud here about how having children makes you a parent I suppose, although it doesn't qualify one as a good parent.

Wait......what?

2014-03-06 10:56 AM

User image

Pro

I'm not worried.

I had no idea there was such a thing....that's really cool. Unfortunately, when you put all of us together at the dinner table our collective IQ can't come together to even spell robotics. 

You just lied. Shame on you! Actually, look up some of  the video, they are incredibly cool. And in case you didn't know, I'm a geek, which is an inheritable trait. What's funny is my kids are taking entirely different career paths (Chef and an Engineer), but both have known what they wanted to do since the start of High School. How many of us can say that?

2014-03-06 11:03 AM

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
I guess my rambling thoughts were that anyone who has children, by definition, is a parent .... whether they actually parent their children or not. Aaaand, at the same time, I've seen kids with great parents who just didn't turn out well. I suppose my bad analogy would be .... I have a lot of yard tools in my shed but no one calls me a landscaper because they may see me once in a while with a shovel in my hand. To me, one has to "PARENT" to deserve being called a "PARENT", not just produce off-spring.

LB, you sound like you are involved with your family, enjoy experiencing their trials/successes/failures and likely attempt to impart your wisdom on them as they grow towards becoming adults and evenutal parents themselves. I would also suspect based on some of your previous posts you discipline your children when needed. That to me is parentlng and you deserve to called a parent ...

OR, maybe further to my ramblings ... perhaps even bad parents who don't parent should be called parents but they don't deserve to be called mothers and fathers .... maybe that is equally confusing ...

Hoooooooooly FRI-joleeeeees .... where did all this come from.

LB .... I agree with you ... "wait, what?"

Is it Friday yet .... who let the goat out???? Where's my beer??? Look it's raining here, we now have a waterspout in the area with tornado sirens going off ... am I a parent?

Bruce
2014-03-06 11:09 AM

User image

Pro

I'm not worried.

You just lied. Shame on you! Actually, look up some of  the video, they are incredibly cool. And in case you didn't know, I'm a geek, which is an inheritable trait. What's funny is my kids are taking entirely different career paths (Chef and an Engineer), but both have known what they wanted to do since the start of High School. How many of us can say that?

I did look it up, and it IS cool as hell. 

Your kids are lucky.....I also knew what I wanted to do from the time I was a very young boy.  I have never once in my life felt like I was going "to work".

2014-03-06 11:13 AM

User image

Originally posted by SWFLFATGUY I find it interesting that we use the term "parents" when folks have children, despite whether they actually parent or not. Well, I guess everyone who has children, technically, is "parenting". Perhaps it is more about consistent and effective "parenting" than just being a genetic material donor and financial provider. I see a lot of examples of bad parenting, usually exemplified by bad child behavior. I'm not blaming the parents in the case noted within this thread. I don't know enough of either side in this case .... I guess sometimes, kids just turn out bad despite best intentions and efforts. Just thinking out loud here about how having children makes you a parent I suppose, although it doesn't qualify one as a good parent.

Wait......what?

Parent cells are cells that have produced offspring. The noun parent.

The verb parent, as in to parent, is a completely different beast.

But if we cannot call the biological mother and father "parent" of the hellspawn, then we can also not call parent cells "parent" of their daughter cells.

So I was asking what we should call parent cells.

2014-03-06 11:18 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Wait......what?

But if we cannot call the biological mother and father "parent" of the hellspawn, then we can also not call parent cells "parent" of their daughter cells. .

Yeah.....................I think.

2014-03-06 11:23 AM

User image

Pro

I'm not worried.

Your kids are lucky.....I also knew what I wanted to do from the time I was a very young boy.  I have never once in my life felt like I was going "to work".

My 6th grade teacher told me she thought I would be a scientist when I grew up. She was half right

I was thinking about this. I know drive comes from within, but my parent's always worked hard, and I and my ex always worked hard. The kids are surrounded by other students who competed to get into these programs. If you're surrounded by success (however you want to measure that), it increases the odds dramatically. The opposite also holds true.

2014-03-06 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anyone else feel this is a whole elaborate scheme to get out of being a part of the financial aid picture for the parents?

I call conspiracy. Pay 13k for lawyer avoid 100k in college payments.
2014-03-06 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm not worried.

My 6th grade teacher told me she thought I would be a scientist when I grew up. She was half right

I was thinking about this. I know drive comes from within, but my parent's always worked hard, and I and my ex always worked hard. The kids are surrounded by other students who competed to get into these programs. If you're surrounded by success (however you want to measure that), it increases the odds dramatically. The opposite also holds true.

How do you explain all of the sibling sets that turn out so completely different though?
2014-03-06 12:12 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Moonrocket Anyone else feel this is a whole elaborate scheme to get out of being a part of the financial aid picture for the parents? I call conspiracy. Pay 13k for lawyer avoid 100k in college payments.

Absolutely not.  The articles I've read from American news outlets seem to just be focused the overall lawsuit in general, but the Daily Mail has a thorough write-up of the whole case and back story.  She's thrown out some real serious allegations; physical, mental, and sexual abuse.  That's not the kind of stuff you claim against your parents just to avoid some college bills.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2574016/EXCLUSIVE-Now-PARENTS-war-Father-boyfriend-accused-corrupting-cheerleader-whos-suing-mom-dad-furiously-hits-claims-drove-home-drunk-3-30am.html

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Teen suing parents for financial support Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

I figured out who I'm supporting for the 2016 election

Started by tuwood
Views: 1603 Posts: 5

2013-10-20 8:33 AM strykergt

The wife of an armed robbery suspect shot dead by a shop clerk sues clerk

Started by DanielG
Views: 860 Posts: 2

2013-05-30 10:00 AM RockTractor
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : BellaDad
comments : 8
Moms and Dads, here are the five ways I’ve learned to succeed at triathlon and keep the peace at home.

date : March 21, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Striving to eat a perfect diet commonly results in deprivation of foods you truly like to eat. You will inevitably end up binging on those foods, sooner or later. Learn how to eat normally.
date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.

date : October 2, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
As a sports-parent, you can be a good role model for athleticism and healthful food choices. What can you do to regain control without becoming the food police?
date : February 28, 2005
author : mamakt
comments : 0
Be a better mother/wife/employee by putting yourself first.

date : September 11, 2004
author : westfried
Fact is, it's tough. Best bet is to do the training that you can, and let the chips fall where they may.
date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.