Other Resources The Political Joe » Teen suing parents for financial support Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-03-04 4:00 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: Teen suing parents for financial support

I know we had some fun discussions in the past on who pays for college.  So I thought I'd throw it out there.

New Jersey teen sues parents for financial support, claims she was 'kicked out' of home

I don't know anything other than what was in the article, but I see it as two separate issues.  For the High School, I think the parents would and should absolutely be on the hook for the private High School.  Even if they didn't want to pay I can't see how the kid would be financially responsible for any of that.  So, I'm going with non-issue there.

Now for the college portion, which they didn't mention much in the article I'm going with "have fun kiddo".  Emancipate yourself and student loan/scholarship it up.

It is an interesting legal question, but I'm not sure how a child could be legally entitled to any portion of a parents money once they are an adult.  Obviously if they pass on, then you get into inheritance law but to my knowledge an adult child has no legal right to a parents assets unless a court grants them access in cases such as an elderly parent with a medical condition.

2014-03-04 6:13 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Teen suing parents for financial support

The only reason I see that the parents would be on the hook for private high school tuition is if they signed a contract with the school.  No parent owes their kid private school tuition.  In Texas, the list of responsibilities for parents is really basic (food, shelter, clothing, public school).  In fact, all of the child's belongings are the property of the parents and the parents are even entitled to any wages earned by their children.

2014-03-05 8:24 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

• ...I’m a liberal, liberal parent,” he said. “I wish I could have grown up in my house. I was tougher on my cops at work than I’ve ever been at my home, that’s for sure.”

• Another example of what happens when parents would rather be their child's friend than their parent.
    2014-03-05 8:26 AM

User image

Master
    Centennial, CO

There could be some legal question of financial responsibility of even a "adult" child if the parents still claim the child on their taxes.  But even in that case, a parent has always been able to choose if they want to pay for the childs college.  There could be some discussion of financial support if they kick the child out but still claim them for tax purposes.  Would be an interesting case to see argued.

2014-03-05 8:27 AM
    in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Veteran
    Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Jackemy1 ....I’m a liberal, liberal parent,” he said. “I wish I could have grown up in my house. I was tougher on my cops at work than I’ve ever been at my home, that’s for sure.” Another example of what happens when parents would rather be their child's friend than their parent.

That's a gross overstatement.  I guess you missed the part where the child had to abide by certain rules? Curfew, chores.  I grew up in a similar household and I turned out just fine.

2014-03-05 8:46 AM
    in reply to: Justin86

User image

Originally posted by Justin86

Originally posted by Jackemy1 ....I’m a liberal, liberal parent,” he said. “I wish I could have grown up in my house. I was tougher on my cops at work than I’ve ever been at my home, that’s for sure.” Another example of what happens when parents would rather be their child's friend than their parent.

That's a gross overstatement.  I guess you missed the part where the child had to abide by certain rules? Curfew, chores.  I grew up in a similar household and I turned out just fine.

I don't think it was....the article infers that the parents were lax on enforcing household rules and when they did she left.

Again, this brat is the result of parents not wanting to parent their child....but I bet they were BFFs before the poop hit the fan.

2014-03-05 8:51 AM

User image

Pro

Our children will never sue us.....they know a beating will ensue.

2014-03-05 8:51 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Sounds like a textbook case of afluenza.  

2014-03-05 9:03 AM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Jackemy1

I don't think it was....the article infers that the parents were lax on enforcing household rules and when they did she left. Again, this brat is the result of parents not wanting to parent their child....but I bet they were BFFs before the poop hit the fan.

Obviously we don't know what their family was like and can only guess.  However, I do tend to think that the "chores and curfew" probably came on late after certain behaviors, but the kid was too far gone at that point.

If kids have chores, rules, and discipline consistently through their lives they don't typically all of a sudden rebel against them.  The rebellion is when they're being implemented, because the kid wants it to go back to the way it was.

2014-03-05 9:12 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

I don't think it was....the article infers that the parents were lax on enforcing household rules and when they did she left. Again, this brat is the result of parents not wanting to parent their child....but I bet they were BFFs before the poop hit the fan.

Obviously we don't know what their family was like and can only guess.  However, I do tend to think that the "chores and curfew" probably came on late after certain behaviors, but the kid was too far gone at that point.

If kids have chores, rules, and discipline consistently through their lives they don't typically all of a sudden rebel against them.  The rebellion is when they're being implemented, because the kid wants it to go back to the way it was.

Our consistent message:

Resistence is futile.

2014-03-05 9:54 AM

User image

Elite
    Boise

My 2 year old spend ~1 hour a day in timeout. Sometimes, he even puts himself there. He puts his toys in timeout too for "not being nice". I think he's already hoping it goes back to the way it was.

2014-03-05 11:09 AM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

It's not clear there would be anything more to get than they already have! What are they going to sue me for? Bills?

2014-03-05 12:03 PM
    in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

It's not clear there would be anything more to get than they already have! What are they going to sue me for? Bills?

haha, that's funny.

My Dad used to joke that he was so poor that when he died they would just send me a bill for my inheritance.

How prophetic he was.  We had to pay for the funeral and then the state sent me a bill for $110k for his medical care.  It was to come out of his estate, which was nothing so I didn't have to pay it but I had a little chuckle.

2014-03-05 12:42 PM

User image

Pro

haha, that's funny.

My Dad used to joke that he was so poor that when he died they would just send me a bill for my inheritance.

How prophetic he was.  We had to pay for the funeral and then the state sent me a bill for $110k for his medical care.  It was to come out of his estate, which was nothing so I didn't have to pay it but I had a little chuckle.

My mom has already told me "Don't expect an inheritance, I'm having fun now."

2014-03-05 1:28 PM

User image

Pro
    Bellingham, WA

The disturbing part of this whole thing is the entitlement mentality of this generation.  I have dealt with it at a personal level and it really is sad.  I was glad the judge stated the obvious in his ruling.  I fear some ultra-liberal judges may have felt differently. 

2014-03-05 1:46 PM
    in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
    Boise, ID

Well in today's society you are not actually an adult until age 26 so why not sue your parents to pay for everything until then?

Thanks Obama and the ACA!

2014-03-05 1:49 PM
    in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Expert
    Boise, ID

Kidding aside, the stupid Fafsa rules seem to play into this a bit as well. Quick search shows that your parents income counts on the Fafsa application until you are age 24. This girl appears to be from a well off family so she is not going to get any help from Fafsa on paying for school, if her parents won't help either then she is royally screwed. 

Unless there is some way to prove your parents are willing to contribute? Emancipation?

2014-03-05 2:12 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by popsracer

The disturbing part of this whole thing is the entitlement mentality of this generation.  I have dealt with it at a personal level and it really is sad.  I was glad the judge stated the obvious in his ruling.  I fear some ultra-liberal judges may have felt differently. 

For every kid that's got an entitlement issue, there's another that's working their tail off. Just my experience.

2014-03-05 2:25 PM

User image

Pro

You sound like an old man.

2014-03-05 2:25 PM

User image

Pro
    Bellingham, WA

For every kid that's got an entitlement issue, there's another that's working their tail off. Just my experience.

That is true and I see a lot of kids working hard.  It is sad that a higher and higher percentage of the fruits of their labors will go to support those that don't.

2014-03-05 2:41 PM

User image

Pro
    Bartlett, TN

2 questions I have:

1. What lawyer would take this case?

2. I heard another family fronted her money for the lawyer, anybody heard anything like that?

2014-03-05 3:06 PM
    in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Elite
    Boise
    Originally posted by Aarondb4

Kidding aside, the stupid Fafsa rules seem to play into this a bit as well. Quick search shows that your parents income counts on the Fafsa application until you are age 24. This girl appears to be from a well off family so she is not going to get any help from Fafsa on paying for school, if her parents won't help either then she is royally screwed. 

Unless there is some way to prove your parents are willing to contribute? Emancipation?

Correct, the only way I know of to get your parents off the FAFSA before 24 is by getting hitched. That's going off my memory of trying to figure that out when I was out on my own but going to school.
    2014-03-05 3:12 PM

I blame the Catholic church, just like I blame the catholic church for not keeping my marriage a secret from Ex #2
    2014-03-05 3:15 PM
    in reply to: 0

Edited by gotbitten 2014-03-05 3:17 PM
    2014-03-05 3:16 PM
    in reply to: jford2309

Originally posted by jford2309

2 questions I have:

1. What lawyer would take this case?

2. I heard another family fronted her money for the lawyer, anybody heard anything like that?

that's correct, her best friend's father is a lawyer and has fronted all costs, and hired a different lawyer to take the case. they are doing this for the publicity and using the kid for that end. that said, she is 18 and responsible for letting herself become a circus act
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » Teen suing parents for financial support Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

I figured out who I'm supporting for the 2016 election

Started by tuwood
    Views: 1603 Posts: 5

2013-10-20 8:33 AM strykergt

The wife of an armed robbery suspect shot dead by a shop clerk sues clerk

Started by DanielG
    Views: 860 Posts: 2

2013-05-30 10:00 AM RockTractor
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : October 13, 2013
    author : BellaDad
    comments : 8
    Moms and Dads, here are the five ways I’ve learned to succeed at triathlon and keep the peace at home.

date : March 21, 2012
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 2
    Striving to eat a perfect diet commonly results in deprivation of foods you truly like to eat. You will inevitably end up binging on those foods, sooner or later. Learn how to eat normally.
    date : August 31, 2011
    author : Mandoline
    comments : 6
    The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.

date : October 2, 2005
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 1
    As a sports-parent, you can be a good role model for athleticism and healthful food choices. What can you do to regain control without becoming the food police?
    date : February 28, 2005
    author : mamakt
    comments : 0
    Be a better mother/wife/employee by putting yourself first.

date : September 11, 2004
    author : westfried
    Fact is, it's tough. Best bet is to do the training that you can, and let the chips fall where they may.
    date : August 31, 2004
    author : Ron
    Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.