General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-04 6:45 PM

User image

New user

Appleton, Wisconsin
Subject: Bike
Is it reasonable to use a mountain bike for my first sprint distance triathlon?

I will not have enough saved in time to get my road bike. I will have it by my second triathlon, but not my first.

Thanks,
Steph

2014-03-04 6:48 PM
in reply to: steph b

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Bike

Absolutely....have a ball!

2014-03-04 6:51 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Have fun with it and decide if you want to commit more money and time on future races, its actually better to try a Tri before spending too much money, but be warned you will never have enough once you begin!! hahaha!
2014-03-04 7:17 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Absolutely.
x2 on determining if you like it before you go and invest money in it.
No problem at all using whatever bike you can get your hands on for your first.
2014-03-04 8:06 PM
in reply to: Wthore

User image

New user

Appleton, Wisconsin
Great! Thanks everyone
2014-03-04 8:57 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I did two Sprints and an Oly on my old 35lb MTB.  Then I bought a used entry level RB for $400 and was amazed at the speed! Rode that for a year and bought a tribike.  If the event has fat-tire division sign up for that.

2014-03-04 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4959651

User image

Extreme Veteran
Go for it!
2014-03-04 10:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
It would be unreasonable not to do it just because you don't have a road/tri bike. You've got a bike and it rolls. Works for me. The first thing I was told when I started was with everything triathlon follow these three rules first:

1. Have Fun
2. Have Fun
3. Have Fun

Do it, have a blast and welcome to the addiction.
2014-03-05 6:05 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Most definitely YES! First tri is for the experience and determining if this if for you. I would even recommend that you DON'T buy a bike until after your first tri. Unless you're already certain that cycling is for you of course...
2014-03-05 6:49 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I would say maybe even do more than one on your MB if that means that you can save a bit more and get a few other goodies like pedals and shoes or a slightly better bike. I wish I had done this as an extra $500 would have made the difference between a bare basic road bike and something with slightly better components and probably fitting too.
2014-03-05 8:21 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

New user

Appleton, Wisconsin
I am excited, it's 87 days until my sprint. Which seems unreal because it is still freezing here.

I just didn't want to look like an idiot showing up in a 1997 Trek...lol. I feel better now that I know other people have done it. The bike itself is actually in fantastic shape, gets a tune up every year and never let's me down.

2014-03-05 9:06 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

I've seen many MTBs, hybrids, and even beach cruisers at races. My son did his first on my old racing BMX because he had outgrown his own bike.

It's hard to be judgmental when the majority of the racers look like this:

2014-03-05 9:18 AM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Lock out or limit travel on the suspension. That makes your pedaling more efficient (meaning more speed). If possible, get slick tires and lose the rolling resistance of your trail tires.

Those two simple things will help you tremendously.
2014-03-05 10:13 AM

Originally posted by steph b

I am excited, it's 87 days until my sprint. Which seems unreal because it is still freezing here.

I just didn't want to look like an idiot showing up in a 1997 Trek...lol. I feel better now that I know other people have done it. The bike itself is actually in fantastic shape, gets a tune up every year and never let's me down.

I'm buying a bike for my first tri.

I justify it because my bike is a very lovely 2007 Trek Cruiser. Great for tooling around the neighborhood with the kid caboose, but I wouldn't want to be on it for 14 miles because it is heavy as all get out.
2014-04-22 3:47 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
I'm glad I found this thread. I have been looking at buying a road bike, but I'm hard pressed to drop the coin on one before I even know if this is something I want to do long term. I still have my near 20 year old Cannondale MTB that I recently got tuned up & it rides great. I was nervous about showing up to a race on a MTB, even as a novice, but the responses in this thread made me change my mind.

I especially appreciate the response from StaceyK about holding off & saving so you can get more when you do buy. I really like the $2,000 Trek Madone, but it's outside of my budget right now. If I can hold off & either wait for a sale, or save up a few more bills, I can get what I really want.

Now, I do have have one question about using a MTB. My bike currently has toe clip pedals. Would I be better off just using those & putting my run shoes on in T1 (save time in T2!), or get a pair of clipless road shoes & some road bike pedals?

If I stick with the toe clips, the only thing I would need to buy to be ready for the race is a tri kit!
2014-04-22 3:54 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

I've seen someone do a sprint triathlon on a unicycle.

I did my first sprint on a $100 target mountain bike.

2014-04-22 4:13 PM
in reply to: sirdizzy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
1st sprint was on my hard tail MTB with slicks pumped up to 80 PSI. It was a blast, and I remember seeing those tri bikes thinking how I could see spending thousands on a bike.

That was four years, and 5 bikes ago. The fleet now includes a tri bike with aftermarket wheels (Boyd, so I'm saving over those Zipps!) a CX bike, full suspension MTB, a road racing bike, and a slightly older road bike.

Start thinking about storage options. I've found you can hang more bikes in the same space by hanging from one wheel.
2014-04-23 2:59 PM
in reply to: tcj103

User image

Tuscaloosa, AL
At the first triathlon I went to - just watched, didn't participate - one of the mid pack bikers had an old-time three speed with a child seat on the back. Didn't seem to be bothering him.
2014-04-23 3:12 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by steph b

You will see all sort of bikes at your sprint. Some SERIOUS tri bikes right along side some rusty chains.

I had the shame at my mini-sprint last year of coming out of T1, suffering jelly legs from the swim and having a teenage girl on a mountain bike coast past me on the first hill.

You will have the same fun as anyone there just with the added excitement of getting your hands on a roadie and trying it out.
2014-04-23 3:33 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Agree with the others-- for a sprint tri you'll see just about everything. As long as you have the basic safety equipment you'll be fine. That means a helmet and possibly no cages on the pedals (depends on the state/province).

I used my son's mountain bike for my first short tri (a mini-sprint) and then bought myself a cross-bike that I used for two sprint tris. I bought the cross bike because I wanted one bike I could use for riding in triathlons as well as commuting and riding around the city. I would even use this bike for an olympic distance, but if I ever do a half-IM I might look into a road bike or a tri bike.

p.s.. It was great fun when I passed a guy on a pretty fancy cervelo tri bike in my sprint tri last year.
2014-04-23 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Hella yeh!!!!  Mountain Bike it up!

That being said, I got passed going up hill by a fixed gear BMX style bike in one of my first triathlons. 

I was like:  "Hey, can't you see my bike?  I'm sooooooo much better than you!"  He didn't seem to hear me as he went flying by me.

Have a blast and report back here!!!!

2014-04-23 3:51 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Groton, New York
My first triathlon was a Spring tri last Spring. You saw all types of bikes.....and everyone having a fun time. Use what you have. I once road my mountain bike (the only bike I owned), on a 75 mile road trip. It worked fine for me.
2014-04-23 3:59 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

Originally posted by badmo77a
Originally posted by steph b I am excited, it's 87 days until my sprint. Which seems unreal because it is still freezing here. I just didn't want to look like an idiot showing up in a 1997 Trek...lol. I feel better now that I know other people have done it. The bike itself is actually in fantastic shape, gets a tune up every year and never let's me down.
You will see all sort of bikes at your sprint. Some SERIOUS tri bikes right along side some rusty chains. I had the shame at my mini-sprint last year of coming out of T1, suffering jelly legs from the swim and having a teenage girl on a mountain bike coast past me on the first hill. You will have the same fun as anyone there just with the added excitement of getting your hands on a roadie and trying it out.

As all the others have said above - rock that mountain bike proudly!

And absolutely do NOT feel intimidated by all the 'hot racing' bikes you see on race day. Not everyone is a die-hard triathlete, and in fact, those are in the minority at all but the Ironman races (might even still be there too!) I actually feel self-conscious bringing my racing bike and all the aerodynamic gear to local races, since most of the folks are typically doing it for fun (with a good number on mtn bikes.)

2014-04-23 7:12 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

DO IT!!!

It is always funny to see someone on a regular looking bike blow right past someone with a $6k plus price bike.  During my first year I used a bike that was 12 years old and had rust all over the frame and components...10% the bike 95% the engine!

Rock the MTB and show everyone what is up!  Triathlon is not necessarily about who is the fastest, it is about getting out there and just doing it not caring about what you look like.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
Views: 3306 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

sold bike, bike not in yet, broke other bike...depressed

Started by anth0424
Views: 1212 Posts: 7

2009-03-01 9:05 AM zeroviz

From Road bike to Tri bike *NEW BIKE*

Started by bradword
Views: 2277 Posts: 19

2007-08-25 10:21 PM tkbslc

Bikes bikes bikes!!!!

Started by mikenhe
Views: 916 Posts: 4

2004-06-07 8:54 AM GamblerZ

My bike has returned from the bike hospital!!

Started by dhlundblad
Views: 1113 Posts: 12

2004-02-07 8:26 PM dhlundblad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.