in reply to: bcagle25

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-03-05 8:19 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
, New York
Subject: RE: Eagleman
FWIW, I heard it's still going to be on but will be run by a Ironman instead of TriColumbia. My coach convinced me to do this race initially and is a pro who is also racing it. When I heard all this news I asked him about it and he told me that the pro's all received an email saying Ironman bought it and "don't worry, you'll be racing it". If this is true then good news for all of us already invested in it!

Edited by elrasc06 2014-03-05 8:20 PM
2014-03-05 9:02 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by bcagle25

Originally posted by Sous

Originally posted by Sous

Originally posted by mike761 I'm hearing rumors that Eagleman may be cancelled? Anyone know anything about it? They have my money and I want to race!!!!
With all the news available at our fingertips via the internet it takes away a lot of peoples patience while many jump to the worse possible outcome. While it doesn't look good for TriColumbia, all that is needed is for someone to step in and provide the money. WTC has a stake in this, so until you hear anything from WTC I wouldn't worry about the worst possible outcome. Lots of unknowns here that need to be investigated before conclusions are made. If I were racing Eagleman I would develop a backup plan just in case, but at the same time plan for option A until OFFICIALLY advised not to, all other worrying is just wasted energy.

don't worry... says the man with nothing invested.

I have an athlete that I am coaching racing, a good friend who has paid for his house the week of the race racing, and 2 close friends going for 70.3 qualification. I would say that I am invested in this race just a bit.

Not trying to be an azz, but no YOU don't.  Your athlete and your friends do and I'm sure that they are worried (concerned, pessimistic, whatever you want to call it.).  I highly doubt that they are just humming along thinking "eh... no big deal".  I'm sure they are thinking about other race options, can I pay for other lodging and airfare, etc.

Fact is that as of right now we have an open admission that the event (organization) needs someone to step in to fund it.  Will it happen? who knows.  Should everyone planning to race start to reevaluate their options?  Absolutely.... and the longer this drags out, the worse its going to be for those of us invested in the race... other races are going to sell out, hotels will book up, etc. 

So my time spent writing and planning a proper build for an athlete isn't investment? Searching out sources on the race, reading previous reports to see how the race unfolds isn't investment? Possibly planning to be at the race that weekend isn't an investment? Spending time with friends and planning weekend training camps to get ready for the race isn't an investment? No I don't have $250 invested in this race like everyone else does, but I have time and that is just as great if not better then the $250 as I could have spend that time making far more then $250.

I'm with you on this one Ben, it's one of my athlete's A races as well. Time is money and there is emotional investment as well in helping the athlete rpepare
2014-03-05 10:03 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by AdventureBear I'm with you on this one Ben, it's one of my athlete's A races as well. Time is money and there is emotional investment as well in helping the athlete rpepare

Suzanne,

I have no doubt that you have an emotional investment with the athletes you coach.  You and Ben are among the elite within the coaching ranks in that respect.

Unfortunately there are too many of us who have found that our coaches' emotional investment coincided with when they cashed our last check. 

Mark

2014-03-06 7:02 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by bcagle25 While it doesn't look good for TriColumbia, all that is needed is for someone to step in and provide the money. WTC has a stake in this, so until you hear anything from WTC I wouldn't worry about the worst possible outcome.
. Ben, I don't know what will happen here. I really don't. I don't think anyone is going to 'step in and provide the money' as this is likely $500,000+, and I can't see someone taking this sort of loss for a sport largely competed for by the wealthier spectrum of society, ie; triathletes. Could WTC get involved? Yes, however is see a more likely option as scrapping the race completely and then giving a transfer credit to other WTC 70.3 events. If WTC is willing to take that $500,000 loss to keep the race this year, then I would be impressed, but IME WTC is pretty clever financially and this would not be a clever move, as LB stated, long term there will be distrust of this race because of the concerns of cancellation. Hard to predict, but as my dad always said, "all predictions are difficult, especially those about the future...."

The race brings in around $1,000,000 in registration fees, you are making a big assumption that they spent about $0 on the race to date which is highly unlikely. At this point they probably have paid for all permits, have all the equipment sitting in storage, and have a least 50% deposit on everything else if not more. So how much do they really need to put on the race from this point? No one is going to know unless your talking to Tri-Columbia.

Yes there may be a cloud over the race for next year, but this race has been around for a long time and sells out almost every year. Ever if it does not sell out in 2015 I think a lot of RD's would like to pick up a race that has all the logistics worked out and will still draw 2000 athletes even if it does not sell out. All it needs is 1 well run year after this by a new company and the cloud is gone.

2014-03-06 2:06 PM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by bcagle25 While it doesn't look good for TriColumbia, all that is needed is for someone to step in and provide the money. WTC has a stake in this, so until you hear anything from WTC I wouldn't worry about the worst possible outcome.
. Ben, I don't know what will happen here. I really don't. I don't think anyone is going to 'step in and provide the money' as this is likely $500,000+, and I can't see someone taking this sort of loss for a sport largely competed for by the wealthier spectrum of society, ie; triathletes. Could WTC get involved? Yes, however is see a more likely option as scrapping the race completely and then giving a transfer credit to other WTC 70.3 events. If WTC is willing to take that $500,000 loss to keep the race this year, then I would be impressed, but IME WTC is pretty clever financially and this would not be a clever move, as LB stated, long term there will be distrust of this race because of the concerns of cancellation. Hard to predict, but as my dad always said, "all predictions are difficult, especially those about the future...."

All races will go on as planned.

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2014/03/06/tricolumbia-ra...
2014-03-06 3:13 PM

Champion
Sarasota, FL

All races will go on as planned. http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2014/03/06/tricolumbia-ra...

Good news.

I served on a local non-profit board that went through a simliar scenario a few years ago.  Not a fun time for the new board members who inherit the financial mess, but it sounds like they know what needs to be done.  Wish them well.

Mark

2014-03-06 3:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I'm spooked enough to have decided not to do Chesapeake Man this year. I don't know if it makes me a bad person, but that's how I feel.
2014-03-08 2:08 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

Exton, PA
Originally posted by fisherman76

I'm spooked enough to have decided not to do Chesapeake Man this year. I don't know if it makes me a bad person, but that's how I feel.

Cheasapeake man does not fill up last year it was only a couple hundred athletes. If you want to do it just Train for it and sign up 2 weeks before it starts.
2014-03-08 3:25 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-03-10 3:39 PM

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

WTC is buying out the stable of CTA races:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/WTC_to_purchase_produce_CTA_events_4214.html

I'm not sure if this is bad or good...IM Chesapeake anyone???

2014-03-26 12:39 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Downingtown , Pennsylvania
2014-03-26 1:46 PM
in reply to: healthlawyer

Exton, PA
Originally posted by healthlawyer

doesn't look good:

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2014/03/25/tricolumbia-ca...

I think cancelling of other races was to be expected. If the race is small and they will be in the red to do it, at this point they need to cancel. Eagleman is the moneymaker for them and I think WTC already said they will make sure it goes on as scheduled.

In any case, they have my money already for Eagleman so I will continue to prepare for it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eagleman Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

For those of you doing Eagleman

Started by thegomer
Views: 577 Posts: 4

2006-06-06 3:30 PM kenail

Eagleman swim advice

Started by truebrits
Views: 723 Posts: 2

2006-05-06 6:37 PM LaurenSU02