General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TriDot coaching scam?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-03-05 10:45 AM

Subject: TriDot coaching scam??
I was spammed with a bunch of emails about the TriDot coaching system - free coaching if you are selected to be part of the Free For Feedback program. I sent them my info, and surprise, I was selected! of course, only a few people were selected and they "may never do it again."

I receive an email from "Coach Boo", the TriDot founder, telling me that this great free deal just requires me to sign up, pay the $7 signup fee, the $100 initiation fee, and pay for two months at $77 per month. grand total, $261. After I complete the workouts and give them feedback, then they refund the $261.

if you have questions, please do email Coach Boo. so I email good old Boo, one sentence, in its entirety, "so let me get this straight, I pay $261 and then I will get it free?"

response:

we literally have thousands of athletes who are very excited to participate and wouldn't be able to without this program, but we are now declining you as it sounds you are not as excited as the thousands that are overwhelmingly excited.

my thought:

if you really are doing this just to get feedback, why do you need to charge $261? I was one of only a very select number, yet the thousands you have selected are "very" excited?

My Question:

Has anyone ever given these people money, and when it came time for the refund, what was the excuse for not giving the refund?

2014-03-05 10:56 AM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: TriDot coaching scam??

"Nigerian coaching scam"

2014-03-05 11:00 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I would not in a million years send Coach Boo $261.  Or $2.61 for that matter.

2014-03-05 11:41 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Veteran
Im going to start handing out fines to people who use the word literally. Drives me bonkers.

Not just the ones who ironically use it in the opposite context to its meaning but also those that are technically correct in its use but only use it to empahise something no-one cares about.

2014-03-05 12:03 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Left Brain

"Nigerian coaching scam"

LOL.  Just spit my Diet Coke on my computer screen....

Mark

2014-03-05 12:04 PM
in reply to: Dan_L

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Dan_L Im going to start handing out fines to people who use the word literally. Drives me bonkers. Not just the ones who ironically use it in the opposite context to its meaning but also those that are technically correct in its use but only use it to empahise something no-one cares about.

???

Mark

2014-03-05 12:06 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by gotbitten

response: we literally have thousands of athletes who are very excited to participate and wouldn't be able to without this program, but we are now declining you as it sounds you are not as excited as the thousands that are overwhelmingly excited.  

So instead of taking a golden opportunity to explain the value they bring and win a client, they take their ball and go home.
Sounds legit.

2014-03-05 12:33 PM

User image

over a barrier
I can tell they want you to have "skin" in the game to develop their program. Without that commitment, a large portion of the athletes will either ignore the protocol / workouts and they get nothing in return but a bunch of useless data and hours of admin costs.

If you have motivation to do the workouts (get your cash back) you're more likely to follow the program and provide feedback.

2014-03-05 12:36 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by lisac957

response: we literally have thousands of athletes who are very excited to participate and wouldn't be able to without this program, but we are now declining you as it sounds you are not as excited as the thousands that are overwhelmingly excited.  

So instead of taking a golden opportunity to explain the value they bring and win a client, they take their ball and go home.
Sounds legit.

It's another way of saying "We're eliminating anyone from the program who might question what we're doing, complain, or sue us at a future date".

Mark

2014-03-05 12:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran

You can tell just from the syntax of Boo's response that it's a scam. Too bad.

Edited by InnerAthlete 2014-03-05 12:37 PM
2014-03-05 12:59 PM
in reply to: InnerAthlete

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by InnerAthlete

To be fair, I have heard some good things about TriDot's coaching programs in the past.  But a business model that requires upfront payments for "free" services does prompt concerns, especially with all the stuff going on these days. 

Mark

2014-03-05 1:12 PM
in reply to: Dan_L

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by Dan_L

Im going to start handing out fines to people who use the word literally. Drives me bonkers.

Not just the ones who ironically use it in the opposite context to its meaning but also those that are technically correct in its use but only use it to empahise something no-one cares about.

I searched the web and literally could not find the word empahise.
2014-03-05 1:14 PM
in reply to: InnerAthlete

User image

New user

Concord, NC
They did a similar offer last summer that I signed up for. After signing up, I had a preliminary call to help find a good fit amongst their coaches based upon my goals, experience and whether i wanted a male or female coach. Then had an intro call with my selected coach and he asked me to perform an assessment test in each discipline and post the results so we could get started. I ended up tearing my glute (not related to program) and everything worked out and money was refunded. I can not speak to the quality of their program, but it is not a scam. TriDot has partnered up with Bobby McGee, Total Immersion, TriSport, and a number of other well respected groups/individuals and have been doing various Tri related web sessions over the past several months. I think what we have here is a company that is relatively new to the block, and has somewhat unique coaching product that they are trying market. I think they are simply trying to get a bunch of users to try their approach in order to build a repository of data/customers so that they can use this in the future to market the results to better help them sell there product in the future. It's a business investment, and they hope to be able keep you as a client after the 'free' portion is over. If they have the bank roll to support the business during this time, and they have a quality product, it can be a smart business move.
2014-03-05 1:17 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by running2far I can tell they want you to have "skin" in the game to develop their program. Without that commitment, a large portion of the athletes will either ignore the protocol / workouts and they get nothing in return but a bunch of useless data and hours of admin costs. If you have motivation to do the workouts (get your cash back) you're more likely to follow the program and provide feedback.

If they were trying to get reliable feedback data why wouldn't they just tap into their existing base of clients with a known baseline, rather than an unknown set of prospective clients?

It appears to be more of a "sign up and get two months free" prospecting offer rather than a true statistical study.   

I'd be interested to hear Coach Boo's response or explanation.

Mark

2014-03-05 1:26 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

New user

Concord, NC
Originally posted by RedCorvette

To be fair, I have heard some good things about TriDot's coaching programs in the past.  But a business model that requires upfront payments for "free" services does prompt concerns, especially with all the stuff going on these days. 

Mark

I disagree. If a coach is going to spend their time, and Tridot wants feedback/results (for future marketing of their product) then they want folks to take the program seriously. If the trainee does not have any 'skin in the game' upfront, they are simply not going to get folks follow their program with the same level of effort / dedication. If I have money on the line, and need to complete X number of workouts, etc., I'm going to be a lot less likely to do it half rear-ended. Tridot is doing there part, but in order for the athlete to progress/improve, the athlete has to do theirs...and $$ is a great motivator.
2014-03-05 1:26 PM

User image

New user

Concord, NC

Mark

I disagree. If a coach is going to spend their time, and Tridot wants feedback/results (for future marketing of their product) then they want folks to take the program seriously. If the trainee does not have any 'skin in the game' upfront, they are simply not going to get folks follow their program with the same level of effort / dedication. If I have money on the line, and need to complete X number of workouts, etc., I'm going to be a lot less likely to do it half rear-ended. Tridot is doing their part, but in order for the athlete to progress/improve, the athlete has to do theirs...and $$ is a great motivator.

2014-03-05 1:33 PM

User image

over a barrier

Originally posted by running2far I can tell they want you to have "skin" in the game to develop their program. Without that commitment, a large portion of the athletes will either ignore the protocol / workouts and they get nothing in return but a bunch of useless data and hours of admin costs. If you have motivation to do the workouts (get your cash back) you're more likely to follow the program and provide feedback.

If they were trying to get reliable feedback data why wouldn't they just tap into their existing base of clients with a known baseline, rather than an unknown set of prospective clients?

It appears to be more of a "sign up and get two months free" prospecting offer rather than a true statistical study.   

Mark

I'm sure the 'get folks in the door and future business' is a huge part of it...

I don't know how big their team/business is...but would you rather get feedback on your study on 30-50 people or 500?
2014-03-05 1:37 PM
in reply to: jlshafer

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Could be legit and the skin in the game thing sounds reasonable, however the response to a simple question about it is out of line IMO. One simple question and they kick you out for not being "overwhelmingly excited"? Bad form. Getting reviews is not going to help if they get a reputation for treating people poorly. 

2014-03-05 2:30 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by running2far

Mark

I'm sure the 'get folks in the door and future business' is a huge part of it... I don't know how big their team/business is...but would you rather get feedback on your study on 30-50 people or 500?

It would depend on your true objectives and how you vet the pool of subjects.  If you're trying to get quantitative feedback to evaluate training methods then 30-50 known subjects from your current client base might yield better results than 500 random folks you found on the Internet.  If your "study" is really more of a marketing effort, then the larger random pool might be more appropriate.

Mark

2014-03-05 2:39 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

New user

Concord, NC
I agree. Maybe you just caught him on a rough day and he took it as 'I am only interested in getting something for nothing'. But, it sounds like it could have been handled/worded better.
2014-03-05 2:44 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by reecealan
Originally posted by Dan_L Im going to start handing out fines to people who use the word literally. Drives me bonkers. Not just the ones who ironically use it in the opposite context to its meaning but also those that are technically correct in its use but only use it to empahise something no-one cares about.
I searched the web and literally could not find the word empahise.

I'm literally ROFL.

2014-03-05 2:52 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Could be legit and the skin in the game thing sounds reasonable, however the response to a simple question about it is out of line IMO. One simple question and they kick you out for not being "overwhelmingly excited"? Bad form. Getting reviews is not going to help if they get a reputation for treating people poorly. 

x2. Very bad form-- and then it gets posted on BT. Bad Boo!

2014-03-05 3:08 PM

I disagree. If a coach is going to spend their time, and Tridot wants feedback/results (for future marketing of their product) then they want folks to take the program seriously. If the trainee does not have any 'skin in the game' upfront, they are simply not going to get folks follow their program with the same level of effort / dedication. If I have money on the line, and need to complete X number of workouts, etc., I'm going to be a lot less likely to do it half rear-ended. Tridot is doing there part, but in order for the athlete to progress/improve, the athlete has to do theirs...and $$ is a great motivator.

If that were the case, then why would Coach Boo not explain that, rather than retort, you are uninvited for asking why am I paying $261?

Edited by gotbitten 2014-03-05 3:09 PM
2014-03-05 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by lisac957

Yes, literally.

Did Coach Boo (isn't that a cat with a wonky tongue?) have a hand in the Really Big Free Marathon?

Edited by thebigb 2014-03-05 3:11 PM
2014-03-05 4:13 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Is anyone even sure that "Boo" is actually with the Tridot coaching system, and not just some Nigerian scammer spoofing them?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TriDot coaching scam?? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Thoughts on Tridot Training Program

Started by dawgchase
Views: 2937 Posts: 3

2013-03-26 4:57 PM BigTuna

Tridot/TI Swimming Webinar

Started by kingofbanff
Views: 2543 Posts: 11

2012-12-14 4:55 PM vonschnapps

I think this is a scam but... Pages: 1 2

Started by JungleDoc
Views: 2365 Posts: 30

2007-03-27 12:08 PM ironman2010

Incredible deal or scam?

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1323 Posts: 18

2005-05-19 10:06 AM ODogg

Can you say Scam?

Started by Kupe du Monde
Views: 1266 Posts: 7

2005-03-17 3:41 PM B-One
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.

comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.
date : January 1, 2006
author : mikericci
"I don't want someone telling me what to do" or "What if I don't like the workouts?" or "What if we don't get along?" These are important questions to ask as you interview your coach.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.