General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frustrated Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-05 11:41 AM

Subject: Frustrated
Hello,

I am a real Clydesdale. I'm 39yo, 6', 320, and have always been a big boy (played college ball as an o-lineman). I've done multiple triathlons, bikes, runs, etc. over the past two years as motivation to get healthier. Longest tri was New Orleans 70.3.

Here's my problem - I cannot shed weight. I used to be able to, but now I'm literally stuck at 320. It's crazy. Right now I'm training for a 13.1 in April and my long runs are up to 8mi. I'M GAINING WEIGHT! I've put on 5 pounds since I started training in December.

Training looks like this:
- Monday: Weights or cross train (swim, bike, P90x)
- Tuesday: Run (up to 5mi)
- Wednesday: Weights or cross train
- Thursday: Run (5mi)
- Friday: Off
- Saturday: Weights or cross train
- Sunday: 8mi

Daily intake is well below my BMR. Here is a typical day:
- Protein shake (muscle milk) and 1-2 pieces of fruit for breakfast
- Small sandwich or salad, hard boiled eggs, etc. for lunch. Nothing big or bad
- Muscle milk shake for mid-afternoon snack
- Sensible dinner of protein and a veggie most days, some indulgence on the weekends
- I do like beer, but I moderate intake. Some nights are worse than others, but I try to stick to social drinking on the weekends. No binging.
- I don't drink sodas; I'm not big on sweets...

I've seen doctors. No thyroid issues, no major health issues. I'm not on any medications. I am, by all accounts, incredibly fit. I am also officially obese. I'm out of options. As a lifelong battler with weight, I've done it all and all of my old tricks to shedding weight have failed me. Not ready to give up but really getting tired of this.

My next step is to see a nutritionist. I'm just curious if any of you have had or are having a similar issue.

Cheers,
Jason

2014-03-05 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4960082

Subject: RE: Frustrated
Yes I've been in similar situation. Might actually be you're not eating enough. I use my fitness pal which helps me manage my calories and nutrients, might be worth a look. A sports nutritionist also sounds like a great idea.
2014-03-05 5:27 PM
in reply to: I try tris

Jason,

I'll make you a bet. $20 says if you eliminate this:

" some indulgence on the weekends
- I do like beer, but I moderate intake. Some nights are worse than others, but I try to stick to social drinking on the weekends. "

And I mean, eliminate. You'll lose weight. That adds up to a lot more than you think it does.

Sean
2014-03-05 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4960083

Thanks. I'm seeing nutritionist on Monday, so hopefully I'll crack the "not enough calorie" code.

You're right about elimination. I've been successful in the past with moderation, but this may be the time to eliminate.

Great advice. Thanks, again.
2014-03-09 9:49 PM
in reply to: bigg_budd

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
I would also lose the "fake" (muscle milk) food for real food - use the food to make your body work
2014-03-10 9:42 AM
in reply to: wwlani

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by wwlani

I would also lose the "fake" (muscle milk) food for real food - use the food to make your body work

I agree with above. Get rid of the Muscle Milk.

2014-03-20 10:48 AM
in reply to: 0

Thanks, all. Here's an update.

I saw the nutritionist and boy did I learn a few things. First and foremost - I have a rapid metabolism. I've always thought the opposite because it felt like i gained weight easily, but she's telling me that due to my lean muscle mass (which is significant, it is just buried beneath my fat belly) my body needs a ton of calories.

The issue seems to be my schedule. She's having me front-load my day by eating a large(r) breakfast with lunch being my biggest meal. Dinner needs to be small (600 calories). Two snacks in between. I've switched to this and have seen 6# fall off in 2 weeks. I'm logging everything - food, workouts, etc. - and it has really opened my eyes. I was punishing the brewskis and now I have the shame to deal with in my logs...

Good times. Thanks, again!

BTW - Still drinking muscle milk, but only after workouts.

Jason

Edited by bigg_budd 2014-03-20 10:50 AM
2014-07-03 2:57 AM

I am suffering from obesity problem and i am not finding any good diet chart
2014-07-07 2:35 PM

User image

Cary, North Carolina
I was going to say you most likely are not eating enough.
2014-07-08 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Manchester, Connecticut

Jason,

I have had a history of not being able ot lose weight as well. I looked at the group of people that are known for losing fat and retaining muscle; bodybuilder's. There is a lot of information available, but you will need ot sift throught it and decide what plan you want to follow. I found this site to be helpful. Scooby's Workshop. I hope the nutritionist works for you.  Good Luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frustrated Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

getting frustrated

Started by biohazard
Views: 1384 Posts: 19

2006-02-22 8:45 AM jrlittle

I'm super frustrated...any ideas?

Started by KathyG
Views: 1748 Posts: 24

2006-01-25 10:04 PM KathyG

So frustrated and annoyed with my weight loss!

Started by KSH
Views: 1259 Posts: 16

2006-01-05 9:14 AM KSH

frustrated

Started by brain_bliss
Views: 842 Posts: 3

2005-07-05 6:56 PM cadreamer

Great Magazine Article for the Frustrated!

Started by Miko
Views: 1118 Posts: 1

2005-02-19 12:36 PM Miko
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?