General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gel intake on raceday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-06 12:31 AM

Subject: Gel intake on raceday
Was just wondering, ive heard that you only take 1 gel with caffeine . And that would be towards the end of the race. all the rest are gels with no caffeine.
Is this true?
i find that if i just do a swim alone and take a gel with caffeine, i perform so much better. Maybe it dpends on that persons body, but i was thinking maybe on raceday, its good idea to maybe take a gel with caffeine for the swim , then on the bike section all gels and no caffeine?

not sure

2014-03-06 6:37 AM
in reply to: casebusy

User image

Veteran
Irvine
Subject: RE: Gel intake on raceday
Consuming gels or any other nutrients prior to or during a race or training session is very much up to the individual...and of course the duration of the session. Specific to your question about caffeine, I've not heard that before. I know some very strong athletes who drink 2 cups of coffee prior to workouts and races, some do no caffeine. Some take only gels with caffeine, others mix them in, some do no caffeine gels. Me...I mix them in a bit.

The most important factor here is to not try anything new on race day...experiment during training sessions to see what works best for you.

Duration of the event plays a huge role. Your caloric needs are quite different for a sprint vs an Ironman. For me, I'll do my normal pre-train or pre-race food before most sessions and races which is 2 packets of plain oatmeal with about 2 teaspoons of brown sugar and a banana. Sometimes I'll add a 2nd banana and perhaps a 1/2 bagel with peanut butter for longer sessions or races. For a race, I'll take a gel (caffeine or not, doesn't matter too much to me) about 15 minutes before the race starts. For a sprint distance, I won't take anything, often no water either for the whole race. For an Olympic, I might have 1 gel getting off of the bike or maybe nothing with just a few sips of water on the bike. Once you step up to a Half Iron then nutrition plays an large role....a Full Iron, it is a critical role...that's a whole topic in and of itself.

If you find that a gel with caffeine gives you an extra boost, then do some longer race-like training sessions doing only caffeinated gels...then some with a a mix and see how you perform or what works best for you.

Hope this helps and good luck!
2014-03-06 7:38 AM

User image

Exton, PA
This is something you have to figure out during training. The caffeine effects different people different ways.

For me, I put down better times with caffeine in my system. I use a gel with caffeine 15 minute before the swim of every race, and all gels during my race will have caffeine in them. How many I take and when depends on the race.

I usually buy a mixed pack so the gels without caffeine get used during training rides/runs. I continually experiment with time in-between nutrition and types to try and get better results.
2014-03-06 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I've heard this. I typically do reserve the caffeine for when I feel I need it, usually deep into the bike, especially if I get deep muscle ache like I've overdone it, or late in the run. The benefit is probably mental as much as physical.

I guess I do have coffee before a race but that's usually 1+ hours before. My gel before the race is never with caffeine.
2014-03-06 9:13 AM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Exton, PA
Here's an article on caffeine for athletes.

WADA had it banned over a certain level years ago, then took it off, then banned it again over certain levels. Currently I don't know if it banned over certain levels or not. Does'nt effect me as I am not pro.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2011/07/nutrition/the-pros-and-cons...

2014-03-06 11:07 AM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by smoom

I've heard this. I typically do reserve the caffeine for when I feel I need it, usually deep into the bike, especially if I get deep muscle ache like I've overdone it, or late in the run. The benefit is probably mental as much as physical.

I guess I do have coffee before a race but that's usually 1+ hours before. My gel before the race is never with caffeine.

I have noticed on very long workouts that if I take too many gels with caffeine up front I end up very jittery and uncomfortable. I usually save the caffinated stuff for later in the workout or later in the day for long stuff.

For Oly or shorter I go early and often.

2014-03-06 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4960485

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The gels I like happen to have caffeine, hence that's what I use no matter where I am in the race
2014-03-07 11:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Canyon, Texas
Originally posted by JZig

Originally posted by smoom

I have noticed on very long workouts that if I take too many gels with caffeine up front I end up very jittery and uncomfortable. I usually save the caffinated stuff for later in the workout or later in the day for long stuff.

For Oly or shorter I go early and often.

I agree. I train with caffeinated gels but I'm learning that after 5 gels during a century ride, I feel very jittery and my HR wont come down for the rest of the day. I do not consume caffeine beyond these gels. I'm still looking into gels with little to no caffeine... they seems difficult to find. I prefer GUs and stay away from PowerBar.

Edited by tlancer23 2014-03-07 11:43 PM
2014-03-08 4:10 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It's a very individual thing. The gels I like (okay, the only gels I can actually get down--I'm really picky) do have caffeine in them. I think in my HIM I had a total of 3 or 4 (plus an energy bar on the bike and some assorted course munchies like pretzel sticks and orange slices on the run), and it was no problem. But then 2-3 cups of STRONG coffee would be a typical intake for me, so that's probably quite normal to my body.I don't have a gel, caffeinated or otherwise, before the swim--I don't feel like I need the extra energy or "boost" at the start, and I'm already jittery enough! If I'm feeling hungry I'll have a little nibble of an energy bar or something--usually I'm fine till I get on the bike. In training, I only use the caffeinated gel as the last "snack" on a long ride, usually with 30-40 minutes to go. It's not just for the energy boost but mental alertness--I have to ride through pretty scary traffic en route back from the safer area where I do most of my training, and I can't afford to let fatigue affect my alertness!
2014-03-08 7:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I've only used Gu standard gels but from what I've seen on gel packets the amount of caffeine in them is pretty low relative to a soda or cup of coffee. In fact, I've never felt any sort of caffeine kick from a gel. Gu Vanilla Bean has 20mg caffeine. Can of Mr. Pibb has 40mg. A single cup of generic coffee has nearly 100 I think.

I don't drink coffee but I have to take 2 scoops of Noxlpode pre sprint if I want to feel a caffeine kick. That's a shitload of caffeine though. For whatever reason Noxplode seems to help me fight off muscle burn on short races. Won't pregame with any caffeine for an oly+ or any foot race longer than a HM. Mainly because it makes me crap.

On particularly grueling days in the office I'll pop a couple of CVS Caffeine pills in the morning, which is like 400mg or something. I don't drink any caffeine drinks though.

ETA: I tried to take the caffeine pills instead of the Noxplode before a long run one time. Major issues with high heart rate. Really effected my stamina as I was at like 160 before I even hit a mile away from the house at a leisurely pace. For whatever reason the Noxplode doesn't give me any HR issues even though, as far as the labels go, it's the same amount of caffeine. Noxplode makes me crap within 20minutes of taking it though.

Edited by aliddle9876 2014-03-08 7:08 PM
2014-03-08 7:31 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
When I race, everything I consume is caffeinated. I have trained with it and raced with it and it works for me.

I should add in the caveat that I have never been able to sleep a wink the night after a long race. Whether it is the caffeine or the post-race high, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure the caffeine consumption has a lot to do with it

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gel intake on raceday Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gel packets or Gel Flask

Started by jford2309
Views: 1123 Posts: 4

2013-08-23 3:26 PM jford2309

Ladies: hairdos for raceday Pages: 1 2

Started by meblack
Views: 1602 Posts: 26

2009-03-12 12:16 AM skarl

Raceday prep

Started by jkprice
Views: 645 Posts: 2

2008-03-08 10:37 AM dgunthert

raceday checklist

Started by stretchdew
Views: 619 Posts: 3

2007-05-14 9:06 PM hosayif

To Gel or not to Gel

Started by Brennan6
Views: 620 Posts: 5

2004-10-09 5:40 PM domlazz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.

date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 0
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.