General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training Schedule Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-06 9:21 AM

User image

Utah
Subject: IM Training Schedule
I really want to bump up to a full IM. I have completed one HIM, am in my 3rd season of triathlon, and am scheduled to do IM StG 70.3 in May. One thing keeping me from it is the time for the training, specifically long rides and runs. I work full time, have a family, and do not train/race on Sunday for religious reasons. Right now I do my long runs on Friday night (for HIM training they are 2-2.5 hours max) and long rides (at the most 3.5 hours) early Saturday mornings. But considering these runs and rides will potentially double in length at the peak of IM training, I don't know how to work it all in, it is a stretch doing what I do now.

I played with the idea of alternating long runs/rides on Saturday mornings. One week would be a long run, and the next a long ride. Would this be wise going two weeks between long runs or long rides? I would still do my regular week day training, which I don't think whill change a ton. I am also prepared to have a longer training schedule to work with that. Thoughts?

2014-03-06 4:11 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: IM Training Schedule
First of all, training runs for a full don't need to double. Maybe a couple of 3 hour runs. Even that, some will argue is too long. You could be fine on a max run of 2.5 hours. Secondly, no need to do your long runs and long rides on consecutive days. For example, ride long on Saturday, run long on Tuesday. Argument is that you would be fresher for each of these and end up with better workouts.

Alternating weekends for long rides/runs isn't a bad idea. For weeks that you ride long, you could try to get in 2 "longish" runs.

Don't be scared of any particular plan, or thought that you MUST do things a certain way. There are many ways to train for a full IM. The best plan is the plan that works for you.
2014-03-06 5:53 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

New user
penticton
Long bike ride EVERY week

long run ever second week. And what about breaking that long run into 2. so you do part of it mid week in the morning early and finish it at night. That with a good balance week would get you ok for a ironman.

but i would definitely put the focus on long ride over long runs.
2014-04-16 2:49 PM
in reply to: runnerx

User image

Originally posted by runnerx

First of all, training runs for a full don't need to double. Maybe a couple of 3 hour runs. Even that, some will argue is too long. You could be fine on a max run of 2.5 hours. Secondly, no need to do your long runs and long rides on consecutive days. For example, ride long on Saturday, run long on Tuesday. Argument is that you would be fresher for each of these and end up with better workouts.

Alternating weekends for long rides/runs isn't a bad idea. For weeks that you ride long, you could try to get in 2 "longish" runs.

Don't be scared of any particular plan, or thought that you MUST do things a certain way. There are many ways to train for a full IM. The best plan is the plan that works for you.

I agree with this. Your training runs may not need to be as long as you think. I am headed into a full IM training season and I plan for my longest training run to be 3:20 or so. That will be well over 20 miles for me and that's PLENTY. I don't think you can really prepare yourself for the kind of tired you will be during the last part of the IM run. Don't burn yourself out. Agree on the long bike. Doesn't have to be CRAZY long but get in those 4-6 hour rides once a week toward the second half of your training. Sounds like you have the right idea. Find a plan that works for you or consider talking with a coach.
2014-04-16 2:51 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Originally posted by midwesttrimom

Originally posted by runnerx

I agree with this. Your training runs may not need to be as long as you think. I am headed into a full IM training season and I plan for my longest training run to be 3:20 or so. That will be well over 20 miles for me and that's PLENTY. I don't think you can really prepare yourself for the kind of tired you will be during the last part of the IM run. Don't burn yourself out. Agree on the long bike. Doesn't have to be CRAZY long but get in those 4-6 hour rides once a week toward the second half of your training. Sounds like you have the right idea. Find a plan that works for you or consider talking with a coach.

Oh, and I will never be able to do the long run and bike on back-to-back days and after talking to many experience athletes that may be just fine. I just posted about flexible training plans. You should read some of the feedback I got and join the thread. I have learned a lot and had some of the same questions you do. I don't work FT but have three kids under 12 and two playing tournament softball, we own our own business, my husband coaches and does investments on the side, and I am on several committees, clubs, etc. I think you have to be flexible and if you have the heart to get it done you will find a way! Good luck to you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training Schedule Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First IM on 8/31/13, training schedule inside

Started by Joe24
Views: 1399 Posts: 3

2012-11-21 1:50 PM tri808

help me arrange IM training schedule around a sprint (pls)

Started by TriRx
Views: 1190 Posts: 5

2012-05-22 10:13 AM bets12

IM training with unpredictable work schedule

Started by TriRx
Views: 1323 Posts: 3

2011-09-13 4:38 PM LittleCat

IM 2010 training schedule - sharing ideas

Started by Plissken74
Views: 1402 Posts: 6

2009-09-10 11:13 PM Plissken74

BT IM WI training camp - schedule planning input Pages: 1 2

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 3117 Posts: 28

2008-05-09 5:10 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Design a triathlon race schedule with the right amount and right types of races to help you peak at the right time.

date : December 31, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 8
Where do I start? What equipment do I need? How do I train? This article will serve as your 'Where do I start?' guide with several triathlon training schedules included below.
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : February 21, 2008
author : mikericci
Discussions on 1/2 Ironman race placement 3 weeks from a first IM, treadmill to outside run transition, 4 days on/5 off workday training schedule, trainer workouts and 30 days of swimming to get fast.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.