General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pack me a lunch (please!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-06 4:18 PM

Subject: Pack me a lunch (please!)
I'm on a serious budget for Lent, which precludes buying lunch out & I need to eat more during spring training.
I prefer to eat pretty low-carb & gluten-free, BUT I can't eat too many veggies/fruits b/c of GI issues.
(oh, and allergic to nuts!)
There is a microwave... but I avoid it since there's a 15 min line for it at lunchtime!

Sooooo, pack me a lunch, please !!

Things I've tried:
Smoothies - they're okay, but not a huge fan of the texture
Chopped steak & peas - love, but obviously don't make it often
Yogurt - good - need more food!
Leftover eggs & bacon - weird.
Protein bars - love, but too expensive to eat all the time

• ... and now you realize why my usual is simply not eating lunch!

• 2014-03-06 9:58 PM
    in reply to: Offthecouch55

Subject: RE: Pack me a lunch (please!)
    My daily work food picnic includes:

Two cheese sticks
    One ounce walnuts
    Four ounces plain, full fat Greek yogurt with four ounces frozen blueberries (picked last summer and oh so yummy)
    Spinach salad with feta, avocado, red peppers, Greek olives, herbs, olive oil and balsamic vinegar

I prefer to bring my own food to work because it tastes better, is less expensive, and I can control portion sizes more easily. Plus I don't have to go anywhere in the middle of the work day.
    2014-03-07 9:46 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
    Bronze member

Budget friendly ideas are mostly going to be bulk cooking.

Make up a big pot of soup Sunday and portion individual servings (freeze some if you need to) - chili, tortilla soup, butternut squash soup, black bean soup, chicken/rice soup... lots of options. 

Use a crock pot to make pulled pork, a beef roast, you can even mass cook chicken breasts in there to save time. Again portion out servings so the are easy to grab and go.

Your need to limit fruits/veggies is... limiting. Are there specific items that give you discomfort? Surely it can't be ALL fruits/veggies?
    A big salad loaded with raw veggies and a protein (tofu or grilled chicken) is my go-to at least 3 days a week. And fruit is such an easy, go-to snack that requires little or no prep. Apples, bananas, berries, grapes.

Other ideas:
    String cheese
    Hummus & veggies
    Guacamole & veggies
    Cottage cheese
    Applesauce
    Hard boiled eggs
    Greek yogurt (for more protein than regular)
    Oatmeal (not from a packet, you really just need quick cooking oats and hot water)
    Sweet potato cubes (you'd have to pre-cook at home and heat up probably)

2014-03-12 4:56 PM
    in reply to: lisac957

I like the guacamole & hummus suggestions!

Thx for the options, guys. I've been lazy with yogurt + protein bars + shakes recently, but branching out is good!
    2014-03-14 5:15 PM

User image

Expert

I do the soup idea a lot- make a big batch and freeze, but will be hard if you can't get to the microwave.  Chili works well too.

I also like to do a little "antipasto" plate-  sliced grilled chicken breast (1/2 is fine for me), a sliced pickle, sliced carrots/cucumber/radishes, and a few olives.  You could add almost any nibble to augment...

I love kale salads- I chop the kale and massage it with the dressing, then add the other stuff.  Letting it sit in the dressing until lunch softens it up. 

Nicoise salad:  hard boiled egg, steamed green beans, 1/2 can tuna, olives, lemon dressing

Cold meatballs with a dip of some sort (I've been making my own paleo mayo) and some cold grilled vegetables- works better if the meatballs have some spices added

2014-04-12 2:22 PM

I've recently been playing around with eggs, trying to come up with some more creative and delicious ways to eat them. I've started making single serving frittatas, and I used a cupcake tin to make them, so they turn out 'single serve.' Google for various recipes, the nice thing is you can take a few of these for lunch, and just heat them up at the office, using a microwave. Yum yum! and easy!

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pack me a lunch (please!) Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Brown bag special: What did you pack for lunch?

Started by vmaldonado111
    Views: 1799 Posts: 10

2012-09-20 2:33 PM tri4me-Lala

Packing lunch

Started by lil_turtle
    Views: 1629 Posts: 12

2009-12-02 9:25 AM DMW

Pack the Lunch

Started by TriMac
    Views: 1521 Posts: 11

2008-12-10 12:07 AM CoastTrash

Gel Packs....

Started by aliciaS
    Views: 1188 Posts: 11

2005-08-23 1:20 PM cadreamer

Trisports sample packs...

Started by waskelton
    Views: 959 Posts: 2

2005-02-09 11:16 AM Steve-
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : October 12, 2012
    author : TheClaaaw
    comments : 4
    A back of back of packer feels sympathy for the vast middle of the pack who never gets nearly as many cheers.

date : August 5, 2008
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
    date : June 4, 2006
    author : BodyCheck
    comments : 9
    Make peace with your speed. A full 85% of the field is done and heading out for brunch by the time my feet hit the finish line.

date : October 2, 2005
    author : Ontherun
    comments : 3
    In part one the focus was the packing phase of a race. Here are a few more ideas to help with a successful race.