General Discussion Triathlon Talk » School me on eating Gus on the bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-07 8:11 PM

User image

Subject: School me on eating Gus on the bike
I'm a tape Gu's on my aero bars type of man. That bike in transition with 8 Gu's taped on their bike? Yeah that me! Want to make something of it? But seriously... this year I bought a aero helmet and some race wheels. Things I got to help my aerodynamics and the wheels to make my bike look faster than it is I would think the Gu's on my aerobars would suck away the benefit. The problem I have if that I have a real hard time getting these stupid things open on the bike. My hands after a while on the bike (more so if it's cold) are about shot after a while. I have a hard time gripping the thing...well probably harder than it is since I'm sweating like crazy. When they are taped it, I just pull it off my aerobar and it's open. Safe, effective, and really fast but those packets in the wind just aren't going to cut it this year for me. Do you guys have have any secrets or tips? I also find it hard to reach in my stupid back pocket. More so in a tri jersey since there's only one small one. I plan to practice a little more on the trainer but I remember last year I just gave up.

2014-03-07 8:48 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Subject: RE: School me on eating Gus on the bike

Gel flask.  The one I use can hold 6 gels if filled to the brim, but I squeeze 4 gels in there, then add about 1 ounce of water to dilute it.  This leaves just a little bit of room leftover so it doesn't squirt out immediately after opening the top.

2014-03-07 11:28 PM

User image

Well , first I read title and wondered who Gus was??

taped on your aero bars? Where do you tape them? I would imagine a few (maybe not 8) taped to the top tube just behind the stem are not going to noticeably affect aerodynamics

2014-03-07 11:45 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I use a bento box for Oly and up. Probably not the most aero option but some are pretty good. Made the disastrous discovery in my first Oly that Vietnamese duct tape isn't sticky enough to keep gus on! (Oly on no nutrition= not fun! In T2, my friend's husband managed to throw me half of a fruit roll-up he was eating; that was all I had for almost three hours.) I don't know what other people do but I bite open the gu packets. There's usually a tab (at least on the Cliff Turbo ones I usually use in races) that hangs off and you bite on that, do a good aggressive tear with the teeth and it comes open. Then squeeze into mouth. My big issue is that I can never make it thru a whole packet before I have to drink. I have an amazing gag reflex and usually end up having to take the gu in two or three installments with a drink in between.
2014-03-08 12:11 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Hot Runner

bento box

bite open the gu packets.

2014-03-08 12:13 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

For an OLY, have you considered something like Hammer Perpetuum (sp).  Drink it on the bike and take what's available on the course for the run.  IMO, most people take in too many calories on OLYs.

2014-03-08 4:03 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Unfortunately, that stuff makes me puke, at least in the conditions I usually train and race in. I haven't done well with liquid nutrition, at least any I've experimented with so far, on bike or run. Might be a good option for the OP, though.
2014-03-08 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4961679

I bite the tab to open them too. Haven't had any issues w that
2014-03-08 12:37 PM
in reply to: ARtridad74

User image

I always bite but I remember having issues just holding on the thing before. I'm liking the gel flash but it seems like it would be hard to get out. Maybe on warmer days it would be easier. I'm just out of room in my pocket for used and unused gels. Seems like not all aid stations have them for the bike, so I try to be self-reliant on the bike, when it comes to gels at least.

As for above question. I don't bother with eating anything on sprints, for oly-ish distance, I'll tend to have 1. For HIM and IM, I'll do one every 45 minutes. Hoping to knock off a lot of time on the bike this year so hopefully won't need 7-8 on the bike.
2014-03-08 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
I don't use GUs but I imagine you could slightly pre-open them - at least a first cut in the plastic.

IMO for an Oly, a sports drink is more than enough.
2014-03-08 1:42 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

How much aero disadvantage are you actually taking by taping them? What, maybe a few seconds over an iron distance course? Unless you are at the pointy end of the field, why worry about a few seconds when you have a process that works well for you already?

2014-03-08 2:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Gel flask is the only way to go.  It's cheaper to buy gels in bulk, easier to carry/use, more earth friendly, win win win.  It takes some practice figuring out how much to take for one serving.   The flask does have markers on it, but the gel is so viscous that it takes too long to settle.  I find a "normal" amount for me is about 1/2 serving, so I just take a hit more often.

Although, generally, I am more of a sport drink person.  Nutrition and hydration in one easy package.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2014-03-08 2:06 PM
2014-03-08 2:19 PM

User image

Exton, PA
I tape mine to the top bar using electrical tape. They over lap when taped on and being on the top bar I don't think there is any real aero disadvantage. I can pull them off and the top stays on the bar all without coming out of aero. less trash to worry about too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » School me on eating Gus on the bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How many GUs for a HM? Pages: 1 2

Started by ctbrian
Views: 2472 Posts: 37

2012-02-18 6:20 PM Oldteen

1st OLY....GUs and Water

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 1061 Posts: 6

2010-09-04 3:56 PM stevebradley

Some days I just eat eat eat

Started by chandy14ski
Views: 1952 Posts: 20

2010-07-30 2:36 AM ehughes

Sprint - Gloves and GUs Pages: 1 2

Started by jpf5911
Views: 2929 Posts: 47

2010-07-21 11:31 AM gts

eat, work, school, workout, sleep......

Started by triboy_20
Views: 1158 Posts: 11

2009-05-12 8:51 PM daijoubu
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What should you do when your food rules start taking over your life?

date : June 25, 2010
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?
date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!

date : September 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 1
Generally I bike for 1.5-2 hours, and by time I'm on my way home I'm shaky. When I get home I usually have a headache and am nauseated. What should I eat before or during my workout to prevent this?
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : April 1, 2008
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.
date : February 7, 2008
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.

date : October 4, 2006
author : TriSports.com
Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.