Other Resources The Political Joe » If you are a baseall fan... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-07 8:21 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: If you are a baseall fan...

there is a great piece in this week's Sports Illustrated......

FREE PETE ROSE!!!

2014-03-08 12:20 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: If you are a baseall fan...

Back in the day, I can see how everyone got upset about the "purity" of the game and how he messed with that.

But honestly?  The integrity of the game was quickly lost after that with the steroid era and half the other crap.  Betting on YOUR OWN TEAM TO WIN???  Even as a kid, I guess I didn't see the huge deal about that.  It's not like he bet against the Reds and tanked games.  I understand it seemed like a big deal then, but it's really tame to what players have done to the game since.

The guy was a stud.  His number are better than half the people that get into Cooperstown already.  If they put Bonds or A-Rod in and not Pete?  Travesty, IMO.

2014-03-08 12:36 AM

Originally posted by Left Brain

FREE PETE ROSE!!!

here! here!
2014-03-08 1:32 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by Kido

Back in the day, I can see how everyone got upset about the "purity" of the game and how he messed with that.

But honestly?  The integrity of the game was quickly lost after that with the steroid era and half the other crap.  Betting on YOUR OWN TEAM TO WIN???  Even as a kid, I guess I didn't see the huge deal about that.  It's not like he bet against the Reds and tanked games.  I understand it seemed like a big deal then, but it's really tame to what players have done to the game since.

The guy was a stud.  His number are better than half the people that get into Cooperstown already.  If they put Bonds or A-Rod in and not Pete?  Travesty, IMO.

^^^THIS^^^^^

2014-03-08 9:37 AM

User image

Pro

FREE PETE ROSE!!!

Amen, Brother! Lotta love for him in Philly.

2014-03-08 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
As a guy who bleeds Dodger Blue, Rose was one of those guys you had to hate when he played against you, but had to love if you loved the game. I will take a guy who loved to compete and only knew one way to play...at 110% over they guys today who only care about how much money they can make and how they can beat/cheat the PED tests. Even if it means destroying an innocent mans reputation **cough Ryan Braun cough**.

If the HOF is supposed to tell the story of the game then Pete Rose belongs in the Hall as one of the all time greats. If some misguided sports writers (many of whom never saw Pete play) want to pretend it is some kind of den of purity they get to bestow entrance to from some place of self proclaimed righteousness then let them do whatever they want. Cooperstown will slip from the consciousness of the American sports fan just like the game is in far too many towns.

2014-03-09 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
No doubt, Charlie Hustle needs to be in the Hall!
2014-03-10 3:24 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Exactly. He's done his time. Great piece in SI. Its about time he's recognized for the star he was on the field.
2014-03-12 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

FREE PETE ROSE!!!

Yeah. I think the time has come.

The whole idea of the sport of baseball as this impeccable bastion of purity and fair play went away a looong time ago. It's every bit as sullied today as pro cycling or olympic swimming or any other sport with a history of cheating. Pete's transgressions seem almost quaint by today's standards. As easy as it is to bet online today, I'm certain there are players in every sport who occasionally bet on games anonymously. I don't think Pete deserves a statue built in his honor, but if they want to lift his lifetime ban, I'd be fine with it. Give him his day in the sun and then he can go away again.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » If you are a baseall fan... Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
comments : 0
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.