of 5

2014-03-10 8:06 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: CPAC 2014
Palin did not need any help destroying her image with the general public or solidifying her image as a policy lightweight.
I believe this is an accurate statement about that now famous quote/SNL skit:

"The basis for this line comes from a September 2008 interview with ABC News's Charles Gibson, who asked Palin what insights she had from her state being so close to Russia. She responded: "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Yes, very insightful pointing out that you can see Russia from an unpopulated island - wow. If she had at least known the name of the island, I would have given her a little credit.

Remember the question about what magazines or newspapers she read:

COURIC: And when it comes to establishing your world view, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this — to stay informed and to understand the world?
PALIN: I’ve read most of them again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media, coming f—

COURIC: But like which ones specifically? I’m curious that you—

PALIN: Um, all of 'em, any of 'em that, um, have, have been in front of me over all these years. Um, I have a va—

COURIC: Can you name a few?

PALIN: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news too. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where, it's kind of suggested and it seems like, 'Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C. may be thinking and doing when you live up there in Alaska?' Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America.

And then the whole "quitter" thing, baling out on Alaska before her term was up. That went over real well. No, she did not need any help form the media, nor did she get any...this is America, remember? Bootstraps, tough, make-it-yourself.... The press has been brutal from the day it was invented.

2014-03-11 2:23 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by tuwood

No question I'd be voting Libertarian if those were the choices.  

I'll be voting libertarian regardless. I'm done with both of them and Washington.

2014-03-11 7:45 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers Palin did not need any help destroying her image with the general public or solidifying her image as a policy lightweight. I believe this is an accurate statement about that now famous quote/SNL skit: "The basis for this line comes from a September 2008 interview with ABC News's Charles Gibson, who asked Palin what insights she had from her state being so close to Russia. She responded: "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska." Yes, very insightful pointing out that you can see Russia from an unpopulated island - wow. If she had at least known the name of the island, I would have given her a little credit. Remember the question about what magazines or newspapers she read: COURIC: And when it comes to establishing your world view, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this — to stay informed and to understand the world? PALIN: I’ve read most of them again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media, coming f— COURIC: But like which ones specifically? I’m curious that you— PALIN: Um, all of 'em, any of 'em that, um, have, have been in front of me over all these years. Um, I have a va— COURIC: Can you name a few? PALIN: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news too. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where, it's kind of suggested and it seems like, 'Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C. may be thinking and doing when you live up there in Alaska?' Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America. And then the whole "quitter" thing, baling out on Alaska before her term was up. That went over real well. No, she did not need any help form the media, nor did she get any...this is America, remember? Bootstraps, tough, make-it-yourself.... The press has been brutal from the day it was invented.

I completely agree that she was ill prepared for the White House and she didn't shine in the interview with Couric either.  However, you're justifying the complete destruction of this woman because of how she reacted in an interview?  yikes.

Even the Russia comment, was there anything factually inaccurate about what she said?  No.  Was there anything shallow about what she said?  no.  Perhaps the elites would have accepted it if she gave the exact latitude and longitude of the island? yeah right. 

I think you're missing my point.  Even if she came to the interview and drooled all over herself it doesn't justify the personal destruction.  Bully's have been brutal throughout history as well, but I don't try and justify the behavior.  "Well, he stuttered so of course my son was going to beat him up."

Oh, and you need to change your bootstrap line as well.  We do not "make-it-ourselves", the government provided us the roads and facilities in order for us to succeed.  Remember, we didn't build that the government did.  ;-)

For the record, I'm not a big Palin fan for any political office.  She kind of annoys me when she speaks at events but I completely respect her and her family for what she's gone through.  I try to stick up for her or anyone else when I see hate speech.  Can't we all just get along?  ;-)

2014-03-11 1:48 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by ejshowers Palin did not need any help destroying her image with the general public or solidifying her image as a policy lightweight. I believe this is an accurate statement about that now famous quote/SNL skit: "The basis for this line comes from a September 2008 interview with ABC News's Charles Gibson, who asked Palin what insights she had from her state being so close to Russia. She responded: "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska." Yes, very insightful pointing out that you can see Russia from an unpopulated island - wow. If she had at least known the name of the island, I would have given her a little credit. Remember the question about what magazines or newspapers she read: COURIC: And when it comes to establishing your world view, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this — to stay informed and to understand the world? PALIN: I’ve read most of them again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media, coming f— COURIC: But like which ones specifically? I’m curious that you— PALIN: Um, all of 'em, any of 'em that, um, have, have been in front of me over all these years. Um, I have a va— COURIC: Can you name a few? PALIN: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news too. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where, it's kind of suggested and it seems like, 'Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C. may be thinking and doing when you live up there in Alaska?' Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America. And then the whole "quitter" thing, baling out on Alaska before her term was up. That went over real well. No, she did not need any help form the media, nor did she get any...this is America, remember? Bootstraps, tough, make-it-yourself.... The press has been brutal from the day it was invented.

I completely agree that she was ill prepared for the White House and she didn't shine in the interview with Couric either.  However, you're justifying the complete destruction of this woman because of how she reacted in an interview?  yikes.

Even the Russia comment, was there anything factually inaccurate about what she said?  No.  Was there anything shallow about what she said?  no.  Perhaps the elites would have accepted it if she gave the exact latitude and longitude of the island? yeah right. 

I think you're missing my point.  Even if she came to the interview and drooled all over herself it doesn't justify the personal destruction.  Bully's have been brutal throughout history as well, but I don't try and justify the behavior.  "Well, he stuttered so of course my son was going to beat him up."

Oh, and you need to change your bootstrap line as well.  We do not "make-it-ourselves", the government provided us the roads and facilities in order for us to succeed.  Remember, we didn't build that the government did.  ;-)

For the record, I'm not a big Palin fan for any political office.  She kind of annoys me when she speaks at events but I completely respect her and her family for what she's gone through.  I try to stick up for her or anyone else when I see hate speech.  Can't we all just get along?  ;-)

Damn you and your compassion Tony!

;)

I think the reason Palin draws so much disdain is because she continues to put herself in a position where she is talking--often very inarticulately--about things she doesn't seem to know much about.  We can all do that here (wink wink), but we're not purporting to be professional politicians with educated opinions on all matters of State.   It's easy to pick apart her rhetoric because it is so riddled with mistakes, generalities, and colloquialisms.  Should she be vilified for that?  No.  Should she have enough common sense to redirect herself to a more appropriate stage?  I think so. 

2014-03-11 2:06 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite

Originally posted by switch

I think the reason Palin draws so much disdain is because she continues to put herself in a position where she is talking--often very inarticulately--about things she doesn't seem to know much about.  We can all do that here (wink wink), but we're not purporting to be professional politicians with educated opinions on all matters of State.   It's easy to pick apart her rhetoric because it is so riddled with mistakes, generalities, and colloquialisms.  Should she be vilified for that?  No.  Should she have enough common sense to redirect herself to a more appropriate stage?  I think so. 

So what stage do you think that is? I mean right now she is not running for office, and is more or less a cheerleader.

Anyone that wants to put themselves in the spotlight has certain qualities. She is not stupid and lazy. I'm sure she wants to understand what she is talking about. She was picked for a reason, and she filled that reason. The media wanted Obama to win, and they went out of their way, and continue to do so, to shred her. She is like normal people, and normal people respond to her. But for the leaders of our country... I do not want normal people....

Having said all that... I am not a fan by any means. She irritates me to no end... but so what? She does what she does. Is she any worse than any other talking head/celebrity/public figure/politician. Not really. They are all intelligent driven people... that can all be made to look like morons... some with less help than others.

What bothers me the most is the level of discussion of the national popularity contest that happens every 4 years in November. Where is the critical thinking, where is the qualified candidate? All we get is polls and how likable they are or how electable they are. Obama was a complete joke of a candidate. Don't lump me in with the extreme right.... they are jokes for different reasons. I know Obama is an intelligent caring person, but he was a joke as a candidate with not a single success to point to in his unremarkable career. We got exactly what we voted for... a well spoken puppet. He was delivered by a media that wanted to make a story. Congrats.

Now here we are 8 years later talking about another round of idiots and partisan hacks that will do nothing to actually solve problems. Served up by ratings driven media that is propping up what is best for them, instead of being the watch dog they were meant to be. It is a sorry state of affairs. Nothing but a dog and pony show driven by selfish interests of the candidate/party/talking heads. I have taken interest and got involved for the last 10 years only to figure out it is all a joke. Probably always was... but it did not seem as ridiculous as it is now.

2014-03-11 2:24 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by powerman

;)

So what stage do you think that is? I mean right now she is not running for office, and is more or less a cheerleader.

Anyone that wants to put themselves in the spotlight has certain qualities. She is not stupid and lazy. I'm sure she wants to understand what she is talking about. She was picked for a reason, and she filled that reason. The media wanted Obama to win, and they went out of their way, and continue to do so, to shred her. She is like normal people, and normal people respond to her. But for the leaders of our country... I do not want normal people....

Having said all that... I am not a fan by any means. She irritates me to no end... but so what? She does what she does. Is she any worse than any other talking head/celebrity/public figure/politician. Not really. They are all intelligent driven people... that can all be made to look like morons... some with less help than others.

What bothers me the most is the level of discussion of the national popularity contest that happens every 4 years in November. Where is the critical thinking, where is the qualified candidate? All we get is polls and how likable they are or how electable they are. Obama was a complete joke of a candidate. Don't lump me in with the extreme right.... they are jokes for different reasons. I know Obama is an intelligent caring person, but he was a joke as a candidate with not a single success to point to in his unremarkable career. We got exactly what we voted for... a well spoken puppet. He was delivered by a media that wanted to make a story. Congrats.

Now here we are 8 years later talking about another round of idiots and partisan hacks that will do nothing to actually solve problems. Served up by ratings driven media that is propping up what is best for them, instead of being the watch dog they were meant to be. It is a sorry state of affairs. Nothing but a dog and pony show driven by selfish interests of the candidate/party/talking heads. I have taken interest and got involved for the last 10 years only to figure out it is all a joke. Probably always was... but it did not seem as ridiculous as it is now.

I suppose she could be a fine cheerleader except that her own party sees her as a liability.

While I agree with most of what you wrote, I do think we have to think about how "electable" a candidate is.  That seems to be a legitimate issue, no?

2014-03-11 2:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

I suppose she could be a fine cheerleader except that her own party sees her as a liability.

While I agree with most of what you wrote, I do think we have to think about how "electable" a candidate is.  That seems to be a legitimate issue, no?

No, that is for the candidate and their election teams to figure out. I'm not a Democrat... but I had no problem with Clinton. In that he was a popular President that people identified with and liked. I might not agree with all he did, but a lot of America did and that is what living in a Democratic society is about. So I am good with that.

But Clinton was very "likable". We did not need to analyze that, or be told that. You either have it or you don't, and people get it without being told. I knew when I heard Obama give his first big victory speech over beating Hilary in some state he was going to be our next President. You want to like him... or at least his message.

The problem is we focus on the fluff and not the substance. The fluff works itself out... the substance... or lack there of... is what is running this country into the ground. Right now, America is at a cross roads... we are in a  decline as a World power, our economy is in decline as a result of global competition. We continue to try to spend our way into prosperity through military and social programs that are actually making things worse. We have some tough decisions on where we go from here, and some tough decisions on what path to take. And all we get are partisan politics and ratings driven 24/7 newsertainment propaganda. I do not think the sky is falling, but I absolutely think we are headed towards collapse, and all we keep doing is racking up more debt, artificially propping up markets, and watching TV.

We can change our course.. or, we can just let nature decide for us. Both will be painful. It's a matter of degree and who's in control.

Edited by powerman 2014-03-11 2:39 PM
2014-03-11 5:12 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Sarah Palin is not that innocent. You can not put yourself out there on a national stage like she is doing and not expect get criticism. Even after she left the job being governor she did not go away but tried to trust herself more into the political spotlight. Sadly she might have more political power now than she had as governor.

Sad thing about politics it is more about trashing your opponent rather than trying to show why you are better. That is one reason it becomes lesser of two evils rather than which of the two people are better.

Sarah Palin never said she could see Russia from her house. Al Gore never said he invented the internet.

2014-03-11 8:00 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by chirunner134 Sarah Palin is not that innocent. You can not put yourself out there on a national stage like she is doing and not expect get criticism. Even after she left the job being governor she did not go away but tried to trust herself more into the political spotlight. Sadly she might have more political power now than she had as governor. Sad thing about politics it is more about trashing your opponent rather than trying to show why you are better. That is one reason it becomes lesser of two evils rather than which of the two people are better. Sarah Palin never said she could see Russia from her house. Al Gore never said he invented the internet.

There's no question she chooses to be out there, but if the opposition merely has to attack you so you curl back up in a ball at home, then that proves it the ideal political tactic.  It works unfortunately because nobody decent wants to run for office (on either side) because they know they'll get torn to shreds in the public eye.  Who in their right mind would ever put their family through that.   Take away the politics and look at what Sarah's kids have had to endure, it's just sickening.

What's even worse is that we the people eat it up.  It's all about personal destruction and seeing what kind of dirt can be dug up on the other guy.  If you notice this thread even quickly shifted into personal attacks on politicians with nary a mention of policy.

2014-03-12 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Post of the year right here.

2014-03-12 11:00 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

The real problem to me is the "eithor or" situation everyone seems to think we are in. Now, polls show that Obama has a negative effect on voters preferences. So what will they do? Go vote for the side who had the last guy with a negative effect on their preferences. Everyone who is voting for R or D deserves the government they are getting.

2014-03-12 11:09 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by JoshR

;)

The real problem to me is the "eithor or" situation everyone seems to think we are in. Now, polls show that Obama has a negative effect on voters preferences. So what will they do? Go vote for the side who had the last guy with a negative effect on their preferences. Everyone who is voting for R or D deserves the government they are getting.

So you will be voting for a three-party system regardless of the candidates?

2014-03-12 11:35 AM

User image

Based on the Democrat, Republican & Libertarian platforms, assuming they would be representative of their parties which one would you prefer Switch?

fwiw, in answer to your question I will be voting for the Libertarian candidate at this point with the possible exception if Ted Cruz is running,,,,,,,,, he has such a cool name.

I think Josh is spot on, the Republican Party and the Dem's are both more concerned about their status than what's good for the nation. I think if a person believes that it is crazy to vote for either one of them. 

2014-03-12 11:53 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

Yes. There are usually several 3rd party options. I have voted Libertarian every every election so far.
2014-03-12 1:08 PM

User image

So if the federal government was filled with politicians that had the letters X, Y, Z, or any other letter besides D and R behind their name things would be remarkably different in DC?

2014-03-12 1:18 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Yes. There are usually several 3rd party options. I have voted Libertarian every every election so far.

How's that working out for you?

2014-03-12 1:21 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Elite

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn How's that working out for you?

How's running the country into the ground working for you?

2014-03-12 1:21 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Seriously, the issue I have with voting third-party is that, honestly, I've yet to find a third-party candidate who aligns 100% to my views any more than I've ever found a D or R who does. So, given a choice between a guy who I agree with 75% of the time who's completely unelectable and a guy who I agree with 75% of the time who actually has a shot at winning, I'll go with the D or R.

2014-03-12 1:31 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by Jackemy1

So if the federal government was filled with politicians that had the letters X, Y, Z, or any other letter besides D and R behind their name things would be remarkably different in DC?

Maybe, maybe not. The thing is, I KNOW how it is going to be when there are D's and R's. I also know they are running our country into the ground and I won't support it.
2014-03-12 1:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

;)

How's that working out for you? Seriously, the issue I have with voting third-party is that, honestly, I've yet to find a third-party candidate who aligns 100% to my views any more than I've ever found a D or R who does. So, given a choice between a guy who I agree with 75% of the time who's completely unelectable and a guy who I agree with 75% of the time who actually has a shot at winning, I'll go with the D or R.

I'm kind of with you here, there's never a "perfect" candidate for anyone unless they're running for office themselves.

As of late, I tend to be more down on the "system" that is running our country more than the people.  So many "good" people have gone to Washington to just be absorbed into the mess.

*edit  fixed quotes

Edited by tuwood 2014-03-12 1:37 PM
2014-03-12 1:36 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

Seriously, the issue I have with voting third-party is that, honestly, I've yet to find a third-party candidate who aligns 100% to my views any more than I've ever found a D or R who does. So, given a choice between a guy who I agree with 75% of the time who's completely unelectable and a guy who I agree with 75% of the time who actually has a shot at winning, I'll go with the D or R.

(cleaned up the quotes a bit)

What does the chances of winning have to do with anything? Also, speaking for myself, it's more like the guy who I agree with 75% and has no chance of winning vs the guy I vehemently disagree with on 90% of ideas. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think that the people who make it up to the national level of politics are 100% scumbags with very few exceptions. They put on a nice show with their suits and haircuts, but then they turn around and sell us all out to the highest bidder. They'd sell their mothers if they thought it would win them an election.

2014-03-12 1:41 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn How's that working out for you?
(cleaned up the quotes a bit) What does the chances of winning have to do with anything? Also, speaking for myself, it's more like the guy who I agree with 75% and has no chance of winning vs the guy I vehemently disagree with on 90% of ideas. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think that the people who make it up to the national level of politics are 100% scumbags with very few exceptions. They put on a nice show with their suits and haircuts, but then they turn around and sell us all out to the highest bidder. They'd sell their mothers if they thought it would win them an election.

The other part that gets me is how many intellectual lightweights get elected. (is that a PC way to say idiot?)  ;-)

My kids play with the kids of one of our states national office holders and I have had many casual conversations with him.  He's not too bright and doesn't seem to have much of a grasp of what's going on in the world, yet he's been reelected several times over.  It's funny to say it, but it's almost like he doesn't follow politics at all.  He's just a full time fundraiser working towards his next election.

2014-03-12 2:04 PM

New user

(cleaned up the quotes a bit)

What does the chances of winning have to do with anything? Also, speaking for myself, it's more like the guy who I agree with 75% and has no chance of winning vs the guy I vehemently disagree with on 90% of ideas. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think that the people who make it up to the national level of politics are 100% scumbags with very few exceptions. They put on a nice show with their suits and haircuts, but then they turn around and sell us all out to the highest bidder. They'd sell their mothers if they thought it would win them an election.

^^^^^^^
This.

2014-03-12 2:17 PM

User image

Maybe, maybe not. The thing is, I KNOW how it is going to be when there are D's and R's. I also know they are running our country into the ground and I won't support it.

Exactly the reason why I focus all my political energy on local politics. You got to start with a good farm team if you are going to change things in the big leagues.
2014-03-12 2:35 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Elite
Boise

Exactly the reason why I focus all my political energy on local politics. You got to start with a good farm team if you are going to change things in the big leagues.

Don't get me started on the Idaho State politicians. They are just as bad.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » CPAC 2014 Rss Feed  

of 5