User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: CPAC 2014

Originally posted by JoshR
Originally posted by Jackemy1
Originally posted by JoshR The real problem to me is the "eithor or" situation everyone seems to think we are in. Now, polls show that Obama has a negative effect on voters preferences. So what will they do? Go vote for the side who had the last guy with a negative effect on their preferences. Everyone who is voting for R or D deserves the government they are getting.
So if the federal government was filled with politicians that had the letters X, Y, Z, or any other letter besides D and R behind their name things would be remarkably different in DC?
Maybe, maybe not. The thing is, I KNOW how it is going to be when there are D's and R's. I also know they are running our country into the ground and I won't support it.
Exactly the reason why I focus all my political energy on local politics. You got to start with a good farm team if you are going to change things in the big leagues.
Don't get me started on the Idaho State politicians. They are just as bad.

But, you have a lot more power and influence to affect change locally.

I have testified numerous times in front of our state judiciary committee and even had language in laws changed as a result.  That would never happen at the national level.

2014-03-12 2:43 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

How's that working out for you?

Seriously, the issue I have with voting third-party is that, honestly, I've yet to find a third-party candidate who aligns 100% to my views any more than I've ever found a D or R who does. So, given a choice between a guy who I agree with 75% of the time who's completely unelectable and a guy who I agree with 75% of the time who actually has a shot at winning, I'll go with the D or R.

(cleaned up the quotes a bit)

What does the chances of winning have to do with anything? Also, speaking for myself, it's more like the guy who I agree with 75% and has no chance of winning vs the guy I vehemently disagree with on 90% of ideas. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think that the people who make it up to the national level of politics are 100% scumbags with very few exceptions. They put on a nice show with their suits and haircuts, but then they turn around and sell us all out to the highest bidder. They'd sell their mothers if they thought it would win them an election.

Winning has everything to do with it....in fact is is the only thing. If you can't win you don't get a seat at the table. And if you don't have a seat at the table if you can't get your agenda passed. And if you can't get your agenda passed you are as politically useless as any other blogger filling up my Facebook feed.

And don't be fooled winners in politics even those with the holy grail L behind their name in any position higher than local school board/council wouldn't think twice about selling their mothers to win.
2014-03-12 3:11 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn How's that working out for you?
Seriously, the issue I have with voting third-party is that, honestly, I've yet to find a third-party candidate who aligns 100% to my views any more than I've ever found a D or R who does. So, given a choice between a guy who I agree with 75% of the time who's completely unelectable and a guy who I agree with 75% of the time who actually has a shot at winning, I'll go with the D or R.
(cleaned up the quotes a bit) What does the chances of winning have to do with anything? Also, speaking for myself, it's more like the guy who I agree with 75% and has no chance of winning vs the guy I vehemently disagree with on 90% of ideas. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think that the people who make it up to the national level of politics are 100% scumbags with very few exceptions. They put on a nice show with their suits and haircuts, but then they turn around and sell us all out to the highest bidder. They'd sell their mothers if they thought it would win them an election.
Winning has everything to do with it....in fact is is the only thing. If you can't win you don't get a seat at the table. And if you don't have a seat at the table if you can't get your agenda passed. And if you can't get your agenda passed you are as politically useless as any other blogger filling up my Facebook feed. And don't be fooled winners in politics even those with the holy grail L behind their name in any position higher than local school board/council wouldn't think twice about selling their mothers to win.

There are many countries with multi party systems that support this assessment.  Australia and England don't seem to be doing better with more than two.

Josh (and others) I really hear what you're saying and I am sick of our broken system too, but I am not convinced that adding another party is going to be a step toward fixing it.

2014-03-12 3:23 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

What does the chances of winning have to do with anything? Also, speaking for myself, it's more like the guy who I agree with 75% and has no chance of winning vs the guy I vehemently disagree with on 90% of ideas. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think that the people who make it up to the national level of politics are 100% scumbags with very few exceptions. They put on a nice show with their suits and haircuts, but then they turn around and sell us all out to the highest bidder. They'd sell their mothers if they thought it would win them an election.

Winning has everything to do with it....in fact is is the only thing. If you can't win you don't get a seat at the table. And if you don't have a seat at the table if you can't get your agenda passed. And if you can't get your agenda passed you are as politically useless as any other blogger filling up my Facebook feed.

And don't be fooled winners in politics even those with the holy grail L behind their name in any position higher than local school board/council wouldn't think twice about selling their mothers to win.

Exactly. It might feel good to cast a vote for a third-party candidate who represents your highest political ideals, but if he gets 4% of the vote and is never heard from again, what good does that do you or anyone else who shares your principles?

Who do you think is voting for people they disagree with on 90% of the issues?

Most third-party candidates are just Dems or Republicans in disguise anyway. They choose to call themselves "Libertarians" or "Independents" or "Green Party" because they don't think they can get the backing of one of the major parties. It doesn't mean their ideology is any different, though. They might pay lip-servce to whatever the defining ideal of their independent party is in order to get the endorsement, but once they're in office, they're going to be whoever they would have been if they were D or R.
2014-03-12 4:03 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

(cleaned up the quotes a bit) What does the chances of winning have to do with anything? Also, speaking for myself, it's more like the guy who I agree with 75% and has no chance of winning vs the guy I vehemently disagree with on 90% of ideas. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think that the people who make it up to the national level of politics are 100% scumbags with very few exceptions. They put on a nice show with their suits and haircuts, but then they turn around and sell us all out to the highest bidder. They'd sell their mothers if they thought it would win them an election.
Winning has everything to do with it....in fact is is the only thing. If you can't win you don't get a seat at the table. And if you don't have a seat at the table if you can't get your agenda passed. And if you can't get your agenda passed you are as politically useless as any other blogger filling up my Facebook feed. And don't be fooled winners in politics even those with the holy grail L behind their name in any position higher than local school board/council wouldn't think twice about selling their mothers to win.
Exactly. It might feel good to cast a vote for a third-party candidate who represents your highest political ideals, but if he gets 4% of the vote and is never heard from again, what good does that do you or anyone else who shares your principles? Who do you think is voting for people they disagree with on 90% of the issues? Most third-party candidates are just Dems or Republicans in disguise anyway. They choose to call themselves "Libertarians" or "Independents" or "Green Party" because they don't think they can get the backing of one of the major parties. It doesn't mean their ideology is any different, though. They might pay lip-servce to whatever the defining ideal of their independent party is in order to get the endorsement, but once they're in office, they're going to be whoever they would have been if they were D or R.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Al Gore would agree with this sentiment.    Lost FL by 500 votes, Nader got 97k votes

Bush 41 as well.  Perot took almost 20% of the popular vote and cost him several solid Republican states.

2014-03-12 4:09 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by tuwood

Exactly. It might feel good to cast a vote for a third-party candidate who represents your highest political ideals, but if he gets 4% of the vote and is never heard from again, what good does that do you or anyone else who shares your principles? Who do you think is voting for people they disagree with on 90% of the issues? Most third-party candidates are just Dems or Republicans in disguise anyway. They choose to call themselves "Libertarians" or "Independents" or "Green Party" because they don't think they can get the backing of one of the major parties. It doesn't mean their ideology is any different, though. They might pay lip-servce to whatever the defining ideal of their independent party is in order to get the endorsement, but once they're in office, they're going to be whoever they would have been if they were D or R.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Al Gore would agree with this sentiment.  :)  Lost FL by 500 votes, Nader got 97k votes

Bush 41 as well.  Perot took almost 20% of the popular vote and cost him several solid Republican states.

I found out my husband (then boyfriend) had voted for Nader.  It was our first big fight.  I spent a few hours thinking it might be a deal-breaker.

2014-03-12 4:33 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Elite
Boise

Exactly. It might feel good to cast a vote for a third-party candidate who represents your highest political ideals, but if he gets 4% of the vote and is never heard from again, what good does that do you or anyone else who shares your principles?

Who do you think is voting for people they disagree with on 90% of the issues?

Most third-party candidates are just Dems or Republicans in disguise anyway. They choose to call themselves "Libertarians" or "Independents" or "Green Party" because they don't think they can get the backing of one of the major parties. It doesn't mean their ideology is any different, though. They might pay lip-servce to whatever the defining ideal of their independent party is in order to get the endorsement, but once they're in office, they're going to be whoever they would have been if they were D or R.

So instead I'm supposed to vote for someone who I think is ruining out country? No thanks.
2014-03-12 6:02 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite

Originally posted by switch

There are many countries with multi party systems that support this assessment.  Australia and England don't seem to be doing better with more than two.

Josh (and others) I really hear what you're saying and I am sick of our broken system too, but I am not convinced that adding another party is going to be a step toward fixing it.

It has nothing to do with "adding" another party to the mix. It has nothing to do with the letter. Bottom line is that the Ds and Rs are only about the Ds and Rs and who is paying them. They are not for the people or the country.

And yes, a third party could become a major player, and that party too can be corrupted. People are still people.

The point of going third party is to take your money, support, and vote elsewhere. Nobody has to change if nothing changes. Why should either party change a thing, they have all the money and votes they need. It just does not matter to them. Take the votes away, and send their butts packing... maybe they start to care again.

The "L" isn't the answer, the answer is to stop plugging DBs into the system expecting it to change. Stop expecting partisan politics and Washington disfunction to change by electing partisan dysfunctional politicians. It's not complicated.

2014-03-13 8:31 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Originally posted by powerman

It has nothing to do with "adding" another party to the mix. It has nothing to do with the letter. Bottom line is that the Ds and Rs are only about the Ds and Rs and who is paying them. They are not for the people or the country.

And yes, a third party could become a major player, and that party too can be corrupted. People are still people.

The point of going third party is to take your money, support, and vote elsewhere. Nobody has to change if nothing changes. Why should either party change a thing, they have all the money and votes they need. It just does not matter to them. Take the votes away, and send their butts packing... maybe they start to care again.

The "L" isn't the answer, the answer is to stop plugging DBs into the system expecting it to change. Stop expecting partisan politics and Washington disfunction to change by electing partisan dysfunctional politicians. It's not complicated.

Do you really believe that a Libertarian is a partisan creature by nature? I've run into many Paulians in my political endeavors and I find them to be to the most rigid ideological purist of any political group. If you aren't 100% for them, then you're an enemy. Heck, I don't think partisanship is a bad thing as long as it is based in principles.

There are over 500,000 elected officials in the United States and only 636 of them are federal or about 1/10th of 1 percent. So 99.9% of politics is the lady next door with school age children running for the school board. Or the guy down the street who you run into at the grocery store every now and then who is your State Representative. Or the monthly Party meeting that is open to all registered members of the political party. I would guess that 499,364 non-federal politicians almost all of them are registered Republicans and Democrats.Most of them put way more time into it then they get paid and it is a truly thankless job. I find it a stretch that they are all not for the people or the country as you claim as they are the people and the country.

For many years I served as the Treasurer of my city's Republican Party. I've been a candidate for state office twice and had the honor to serve as City Chairman for the Hon. Senator Olympia Snowe. When the State Republican Party is looking for a short list of potential candidates to run for office in my city, they call me.

The two things I was most surprised about when I got involved with politics was how easy it was to affect change and how apathetic the electorate really is about civics. Most of those 499,364 elections are not won with who spends the most money, they are won with volunteers and door knocking and a smile. Good volunteers are gold in politics and worth much more than a Koch brother political contribution. It is common to hear complaints about how crappy the government is run but it is a rarity to actually see someone take time out of their busy schedule to do something about it. Volunteer for a local candidate you like or show up to phone bank to make calls or even attend a local Party meeting to learn how to help.

If you want to changes it is just as simple as volunteering or, if you want to go hardcore, putting your name on the ballot.

2014-03-13 8:45 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/05/06/2564990/resigned-to-its-dy...

I'll re-post this article and then tell me again why I should just vote for the guy that's going to win. This guy will probably get 80% of the vote without lifting a finger.
2014-03-13 11:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Jackemy1  Do you really believe that a Libertarian is a partisan creature by nature? I've run into many Paulians in my political endeavors and I find them to be to the most rigid ideological purist of any political group. If you aren't 100% for them, then you're an enemy. Heck, I don't think partisanship is a bad thing as long as it is based in principles. There are over 500,000 elected officials in the United States and only 636 of them are federal or about 1/10th of 1 percent. So 99.9% of politics is the lady next door with school age children running for the school board. Or the guy down the street who you run into at the grocery store every now and then who is your State Representative. Or the monthly Party meeting that is open to all registered members of the political party. I would guess that 499,364 non-federal politicians almost all of them are registered Republicans and Democrats.Most of them put way more time into it then they get paid and it is a truly thankless job. I find it a stretch that they are all not for the people or the country as you claim as they are the people and the country. For many years I served as the Treasurer of my city's Republican Party. I've been a candidate for state office twice and had the honor to serve as City Chairman for the Hon. Senator Olympia Snowe. When the State Republican Party is looking for a short list of potential candidates to run for office in my city, they call me. The two things I was most surprised about when I got involved with politics was how easy it was to affect change and how apathetic the electorate really is about civics. Most of those 499,364 elections are not won with who spends the most money, they are won with volunteers and door knocking and a smile. Good volunteers are gold in politics and worth much more than a Koch brother political contribution. It is common to hear complaints about how crappy the government is run but it is a rarity to actually see someone take time out of their busy schedule to do something about it. Volunteer for a local candidate you like or show up to phone bank to make calls or even attend a local Party meeting to learn how to help. If you want to changes it is just as simple as volunteering or, if you want to go hardcore, putting your name on the ballot.

Yet we are talking national elections are we not?

I get what you are saying. I have gotten more involved in my city government. I am more interested in our state politics. And yes, the fight is keeping Ds out of the drivers seat. Yet state politicians, can't do anything without the party, and you can already see that clearly. The parties are absolutely in the fight for state seats, and that absolutely filters down to lower levels. At lower levels you do see people that want to get involved to change what they see in their realm of influence. I do think they have good motives... but you can do nothing without the political machine behind you, and that comes at a heavy price. You now work for the machine.

Idealistically... do we need a third party... no, we don't. There are two camps, one that wants more government, one that wants less. That is the fundamental difference and two parties is pretty much all that is needed. HOWEVER.... the party that wants less government, has become absolutely corrupted and no longer wants "less/limited".... they absolutely want more... just a different kind. They want more government military, corporate, and wall street welfare. They want government intervention, propping up, and rigging of the game to benefit what they want. They absolutely want BIG GOVERNMENT.

So.... the Ds... who cares? They really have not changed. Sure, they have gotten more socialist and maybe not all "liberals" agree with that. But fundamentally, they always want more government, it is just a matter of degree. And I am not opposed to social programs to help people... I'm just opposed to government subsistence programs designed for never ending use. 

But the Rs... that's the real problem. They have gone off the rails. We no longer have "two" parties... we have parties that both want big government. They just disagree on who they want to give money to. So that is what I want changed. That is what needs reform. And even to the point of it being the party of exclusion... it is such an easy claim to make because it is true. Who the heck had the bright idea that exclusion was a winning strategy... and who the heck had the brilliant idea that is what "I" wanted?

The Libertarian party is the only true viable option... that as we know right now isn't really viable. But on paper, it encompasses what a lot of people want. Social programs without social subsistence. Socially liberal fiscal conservative principles. Limited government.... and let's just discuss that elephant... limited government. We will never have the "limited government" our founding fathers wanted... nor do I even agree with that. We have, and always will have, a strong central federal government... but it most certainly is in dire need of limiting from where it is now. For no other reason other than we just can't afford it.

I do not have a problem with a strong military, and robust social aid programs to help people, as long as our budget is balanced and we are not deep in debt... that's all. And right now, the Libertarian party is the only one close to what I want. It is also the only one close that can garner a large percentage of moderates from both parties. We don't "need" a third party, but the Libertarian party is the only one close to the middle... even if it too has it's extremist nut jobs like the other two parties have. Either the Republican party pulls it's head out of it's a$$, or it needs to die. The Libertarian party is the only natural successor. So either the Republican party needs to reform back to it's libertarian roots... which it most certainly had... or the Libertarian party needs to change the game... I do not care which one happens. All I know is doing the same thing over expecting different results is ABSOLUTELY NOT working.

Edited by powerman 2014-03-13 11:41 AM

2014-03-14 9:44 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Jackemy1  Do you really believe that a Libertarian is a partisan creature by nature? I've run into many Paulians in my political endeavors and I find them to be to the most rigid ideological purist of any political group. If you aren't 100% for them, then you're an enemy. Heck, I don't think partisanship is a bad thing as long as it is based in principles. There are over 500,000 elected officials in the United States and only 636 of them are federal or about 1/10th of 1 percent. So 99.9% of politics is the lady next door with school age children running for the school board. Or the guy down the street who you run into at the grocery store every now and then who is your State Representative. Or the monthly Party meeting that is open to all registered members of the political party. I would guess that 499,364 non-federal politicians almost all of them are registered Republicans and Democrats.Most of them put way more time into it then they get paid and it is a truly thankless job. I find it a stretch that they are all not for the people or the country as you claim as they are the people and the country. For many years I served as the Treasurer of my city's Republican Party. I've been a candidate for state office twice and had the honor to serve as City Chairman for the Hon. Senator Olympia Snowe. When the State Republican Party is looking for a short list of potential candidates to run for office in my city, they call me. The two things I was most surprised about when I got involved with politics was how easy it was to affect change and how apathetic the electorate really is about civics. Most of those 499,364 elections are not won with who spends the most money, they are won with volunteers and door knocking and a smile. Good volunteers are gold in politics and worth much more than a Koch brother political contribution. It is common to hear complaints about how crappy the government is run but it is a rarity to actually see someone take time out of their busy schedule to do something about it. Volunteer for a local candidate you like or show up to phone bank to make calls or even attend a local Party meeting to learn how to help. If you want to changes it is just as simple as volunteering or, if you want to go hardcore, putting your name on the ballot.

I get what you are saying. I have gotten more involved in my city government. I am more interested in our state politics. And yes, the fight is keeping Ds out of the drivers seat. Yet state politicians, can't do anything without the party, and you can already see that clearly. The parties are absolutely in the fight for state seats, and that absolutely filters down to lower levels. At lower levels you do see people that want to get involved to change what they see in their realm of influence. I do think they have good motives... but you can do nothing without the political machine behind you, and that comes at a heavy price. You now work for the machine.

Idealistically... do we need a third party... no, we don't. There are two camps, one that wants more government, one that wants less. That is the fundamental difference and two parties is pretty much all that is needed. HOWEVER.... the party that wants less government, has become absolutely corrupted and no longer wants "less/limited".... they absolutely want more... just a different kind. They want more government military, corporate, and wall street welfare. They want government intervention, propping up, and rigging of the game to benefit what they want. They absolutely want BIG GOVERNMENT.

So.... the Ds... who cares? They really have not changed. Sure, they have gotten more socialist and maybe not all "liberals" agree with that. But fundamentally, they always want more government, it is just a matter of degree. And I am not opposed to social programs to help people... I'm just opposed to government subsistence programs designed for never ending use. 

But the Rs... that's the real problem. They have gone off the rails. We no longer have "two" parties... we have parties that both want big government. They just disagree on who they want to give money to. So that is what I want changed. That is what needs reform. And even to the point of it being the party of exclusion... it is such an easy claim to make because it is true. Who the heck had the bright idea that exclusion was a winning strategy... and who the heck had the brilliant idea that is what "I" wanted?

The Libertarian party is the only true viable option... that as we know right now isn't really viable. But on paper, it encompasses what a lot of people want. Social programs without social subsistence. Socially liberal fiscal conservative principles. Limited government.... and let's just discuss that elephant... limited government. We will never have the "limited government" our founding fathers wanted... nor do I even agree with that. We have, and always will have, a strong central federal government... but it most certainly is in dire need of limiting from where it is now. For no other reason other than we just can't afford it.

I do not have a problem with a strong military, and robust social aid programs to help people, as long as our budget is balanced and we are not deep in debt... that's all. And right now, the Libertarian party is the only one close to what I want. It is also the only one close that can garner a large percentage of moderates from both parties. We don't "need" a third party, but the Libertarian party is the only one close to the middle... even if it too has it's extremist nut jobs like the other two parties have. Either the Republican party pulls it's head out of it's a$$, or it needs to die. The Libertarian party is the only natural successor. So either the Republican party needs to reform back to it's libertarian roots... which it most certainly had... or the Libertarian party needs to change the game... I do not care which one happens. All I know is doing the same thing over expecting different results is ABSOLUTELY NOT working.

Excellent post.

It is likely that it will take at least a few more rounds of national elections for the Libertarians to elect a President, and those "lost" votes will impact who does get elected.  It sounds like you're totally OK with that and that will be the possibly "painful" part of the process. 

The SC appointments are a big part of the equation for me and a large part of what complicates the issue.  Does that impact your decision at all?

2014-03-14 10:06 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Two Party system is very good at scaring you to vote for one of them. I know several people who voted for Romney because Obama will take away there guns or bring in Islamic law and force us all to be Muslims.
2014-03-14 12:25 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Excellent post.

It is likely that it will take at least a few more rounds of national elections for the Libertarians to elect a President, and those "lost" votes will impact who does get elected.  It sounds like you're totally OK with that and that will be the possibly "painful" part of the process. 

The SC appointments are a big part of the equation for me and a large part of what complicates the issue.  Does that impact your decision at all?

I'd also be fine with a socially liberal, fiscal conservative, regardless of the party. A lot of the principles of the libertarian movement make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, the same can be said of the founding principles of the TEA Party, but the party that exists today is a far cry from its originial purpose too. It's intersting that both the L party and the TEA party are essenstially offshoots of the R party (I know some L's will disagree, but it's undeniable that the L party leans more right than left). I think both are an attempt, like powerman said, of people within the R party trying to steer the party away from the corporate welfare/pro-life/anti-gay/"I'm not the 47%" image that it's been so hard for it to shake the last couple of elections. I would be very happy if the R shook that off and returned to the kind of party that powerman wants. This country works better when people have a true choice, and right now, people who are pro-choice and pro-marriage equality have no choice but to vote Democratic. I hate having to choose a president based entirely on social issues, but I'm simply not going to vote for a candidate who doesn't believe in equality for all Americans or who wants to impose his religious beliefs on me, no matter how much I may like his fiscal policy or views on international relations.
2014-03-14 1:46 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Elite
Boise
2014-03-14 2:05 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by crusevegas

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by ejshowers Palin did not need any help destroying her image with the general public or solidifying her image as a policy lightweight. I believe this is an accurate statement about that now famous quote/SNL skit: "The basis for this line comes from a September 2008 interview with ABC News's Charles Gibson, who asked Palin what insights she had from her state being so close to Russia. She responded: "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska." Yes, very insightful pointing out that you can see Russia from an unpopulated island - wow. If she had at least known the name of the island, I would have given her a little credit. Remember the question about what magazines or newspapers she read: COURIC: And when it comes to establishing your world view, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this — to stay informed and to understand the world? PALIN: I’ve read most of them again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media, coming f— COURIC: But like which ones specifically? I’m curious that you— PALIN: Um, all of 'em, any of 'em that, um, have, have been in front of me over all these years. Um, I have a va— COURIC: Can you name a few? PALIN: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news too. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where, it's kind of suggested and it seems like, 'Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C. may be thinking and doing when you live up there in Alaska?' Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America. And then the whole "quitter" thing, baling out on Alaska before her term was up. That went over real well. No, she did not need any help form the media, nor did she get any...this is America, remember? Bootstraps, tough, make-it-yourself.... The press has been brutal from the day it was invented.

I completely agree that she was ill prepared for the White House and she didn't shine in the interview with Couric either.  However, you're justifying the complete destruction of this woman because of how she reacted in an interview?  yikes.

Even the Russia comment, was there anything factually inaccurate about what she said?  No.  Was there anything shallow about what she said?  no.  Perhaps the elites would have accepted it if she gave the exact latitude and longitude of the island? yeah right. 

I think you're missing my point.  Even if she came to the interview and drooled all over herself it doesn't justify the personal destruction.  Bully's have been brutal throughout history as well, but I don't try and justify the behavior.  "Well, he stuttered so of course my son was going to beat him up."

Oh, and you need to change your bootstrap line as well.  We do not "make-it-ourselves", the government provided us the roads and facilities in order for us to succeed.  Remember, we didn't build that the government did.  ;-)

For the record, I'm not a big Palin fan for any political office.  She kind of annoys me when she speaks at events but I completely respect her and her family for what she's gone through.  I try to stick up for her or anyone else when I see hate speech.  Can't we all just get along?  ;-)

Damn you and your compassion Tony!

;)

I think the reason Palin draws so much disdain is because she continues to put herself in a position where she is talking--often very inarticulately--about things she doesn't seem to know much about.  We can all do that here (wink wink), but we're not purporting to be professional politicians with educated opinions on all matters of State.   It's easy to pick apart her rhetoric because it is so riddled with mistakes, generalities, and colloquialisms.  Should she be vilified for that?  No.  Should she have enough common sense to redirect herself to a more appropriate stage?  I think so. 

So what stage do you think that is? I mean right now she is not running for office, and is more or less a cheerleader.

Anyone that wants to put themselves in the spotlight has certain qualities. She is not stupid and lazy. I'm sure she wants to understand what she is talking about. She was picked for a reason, and she filled that reason. The media wanted Obama to win, and they went out of their way, and continue to do so, to shred her. She is like normal people, and normal people respond to her. But for the leaders of our country... I do not want normal people....

Having said all that... I am not a fan by any means. She irritates me to no end... but so what? She does what she does. Is she any worse than any other talking head/celebrity/public figure/politician. Not really. They are all intelligent driven people... that can all be made to look like morons... some with less help than others.

What bothers me the most is the level of discussion of the national popularity contest that happens every 4 years in November. Where is the critical thinking, where is the qualified candidate? All we get is polls and how likable they are or how electable they are. Obama was a complete joke of a candidate. Don't lump me in with the extreme right.... they are jokes for different reasons. I know Obama is an intelligent caring person, but he was a joke as a candidate with not a single success to point to in his unremarkable career. We got exactly what we voted for... a well spoken puppet. He was delivered by a media that wanted to make a story. Congrats.

Now here we are 8 years later talking about another round of idiots and partisan hacks that will do nothing to actually solve problems. Served up by ratings driven media that is propping up what is best for them, instead of being the watch dog they were meant to be. It is a sorry state of affairs. Nothing but a dog and pony show driven by selfish interests of the candidate/party/talking heads. I have taken interest and got involved for the last 10 years only to figure out it is all a joke. Probably always was... but it did not seem as ridiculous as it is now.

The real problem to me is the "eithor or" situation everyone seems to think we are in. Now, polls show that Obama has a negative effect on voters preferences. So what will they do? Go vote for the side who had the last guy with a negative effect on their preferences. Everyone who is voting for R or D deserves the government they are getting.

So you will be voting for a three-party system regardless of the candidates?

Based on the Democrat, Republican & Libertarian platforms, assuming they would be representative of their parties which one would you prefer Switch?

fwiw, in answer to your question I will be voting for the Libertarian candidate at this point with the possible exception if Ted Cruz is running,,,,,,,,, he has such a cool name. :)

I think Josh is spot on, the Republican Party and the Dem's are both more concerned about their status than what's good for the nation. I think if a person believes that it is crazy to vote for either one of them. 

Crap, Vegas, I missed this.  I'm sorry.  I would never intentionally not answer a post from you :)

I guess I don't know what is representative anymore. 

Based on his post, I think jmk and I want the same kind of candidate.  There are social issues that are very important to me (choice, equality), and the SC appointments make the presidency critical.  I am not a pure D, not at all.  I think our social programs need a HUGE overhaul.  Huge.  I think welfare hamstrings more than it helps and needs to have limits.  However, unlike most Rs, I also think government subsidization of Big Ag is one of our most destructive "social programs". I also have a hard time reconciling the difference between our military spending and our funding of research and education.

I guess that technically makes me a Libertarian based on platform, but I fear losing those SC appointments.

2014-03-14 2:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Excellent post.

Well same thing really... we are voting from fear, instead of voting for what is right. SC appointments do not walk lock step with why they were appointed. IMHO, just about every single SC decision should be a 5-4 vote. If it is any clearer than that... 7-2... it should have never made it to the SC to begin with.

But just because a POTUS appoints a SC justice, does not automatically mean partisan decision making. I think that is a bit of a boogeyman issue... that some how voting D will get the 2A struck down... or by voting R, R v W will be overturned. SCOTUS just can't "overturn" judgments. They first need a case and then it's very hard. It has been done a couple times... but 99% of the time precedent is refined, not overturned. Not to mention you absolutely will have a split court the same way the country and electorate are split...one with a liberal interpretation of the Constitution, and one with a more conservative one... indeed why should it have any different?

Listen... [steps up on soap box].... many good men and women through out our history gave their lives for a better country. The ultimate sacrifice they never lived to see come to fruition. The signers of the Declaration knew they were signing their death warrant. Many of them lost everything due to it.... and you are asking me if I choose to stand for popular thinking or honor and integrity? 

Do I really need to answer that? I will honor the sacrifice of those that came before me by using my inalienable right to vote my conscience and let bloggers say what they want of me. Voting my conscience is not a waste, nor is doing what you feel is right for the country. 

Edited by powerman 2014-03-14 2:35 PM
2014-03-14 3:03 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Excellent post.

Well same thing really... we are voting from fear, instead of voting for what is right. SC appointments do not walk lock step with why they were appointed. IMHO, just about every single SC decision should be a 5-4 vote. If it is any clearer than that... 7-2... it should have never made it to the SC to begin with.

But just because a POTUS appoints a SC justice, does not automatically mean partisan decision making. I think that is a bit of a boogeyman issue... that some how voting D will get the 2A struck down... or by voting R, R v W will be overturned. SCOTUS just can't "overturn" judgments. They first need a case and then it's very hard. It has been done a couple times... but 99% of the time precedent is refined, not overturned. Not to mention you absolutely will have a split court the same way the country and electorate are split...one with a liberal interpretation of the Constitution, and one with a more conservative one... indeed why should it have any different?

Listen... [steps up on soap box].... many good men and women through out our history gave their lives for a better country. The ultimate sacrifice they never lived to see come to fruition. The signers of the Declaration knew they were signing their death warrant. Many of them lost everything due to it.... and you are asking me if I choose to stand for popular thinking or honor and integrity? 

Do I really need to answer that? I will honor the sacrifice of those that came before me by using my inalienable right to vote my conscience and let bloggers say what they want of me. Voting my conscience is not a waste, nor is doing what you feel is right for the country. 

Damn, you're good.

2014-03-14 4:11 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

Excellent post.

So.....can I vote for you for president?
2014-03-14 5:19 PM

User image

Elite

Excellent post.

I wouldn't have a chance.... the closet is full.

2014-03-14 10:19 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

Excellent post.

I wouldn't have a chance.... the closet is full.

Yeah but how do you feel about gay marriage? Pot? Abortions? Premarital sex?

2014-03-15 2:13 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Excellent post.

(tip of the hat)

Well stated, sir. 

2014-03-15 8:25 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by JoshR  Yeah but how do you feel about gay marriage? Pot? Abortions? Premarital sex?

Yes. Men and women are either free, or they are not. And freedom has nothing to do with limiting other's rights nor infringing on others. 

An interesting side note.... I'm in this program at work where our CEO mentors... he is a huge history buff and has been doing this thing about the American revolution. He's a pretty interesting speaker... but anyway.... life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.... His take on that was "happiness" was debated at the time for inclusion. But their notion of "happiness" was much different that ours today. It didn't mean selfish enrichment, it meant serving others. That happiness was derived from serving or helping your community. The pursuit of spiritual well being so to speak. We seem to have lost our identity of connection, and simply do what is best for "me". Voting habits of the last few decades can certainly be shown to prove that point.

2014-03-31 7:17 AM

User image

Since 1952 you have basically had two power "families" in the Republican party who ran the show - Nixon and Bush. When these names were on the ticket, the real Republican money and full force followed and the R's were very competitive or won.

52, 56, 60, 68, 72 - were Nixon years with only 60 losing out the electoral college but just about a statistical tie in the general.

64- was a nothing election with Goldwater

76 - was a stay away election because of Watergate. Bob Dole took his first one for the team with Ford.

80 - The GOP wanted a win and Bush Sr. jumped on the ticket with Reagan and stayed in 84.

88 - Bush

92 - Bush again. Perot and a couple of Bush missteps led to the loss.

96 - Bob Dole was a good soldier and took another for the team in a dead year.

00 and 04 - Bush Jr

08 and 12 - Two more throw away elections with McCain and Romney.

Basically the GOP was Bush/Nixon and everyone else was just there for the cocktail party. Soon you are going to start hearing lots of Bush people name dropping Jeb Bush in the news. Like last week's hint that Barbara thinks her son is the best candidate for 2016...

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/2014/0306/Jeb-Bush-in-2016-...

But, in the meantime the GOP has a little power vacuum and that has created a lot of different factions presenting their ideas for the future of the Party. So seeing whatever many names being tossed around for 2016 is a good and health thing. Heck, at least the GOP is talking about the future. What do the Dems have that is comparable? Seriously, what future are the Dems offering?......a third Clinton term? please.....

And ti think...I don't even have to sleep with Frank Underwood to get my information.

"Many of the Republican Party’s most powerful insiders and financiers have begun a behind-the-scenes campaign to draft former Florida governor Jeb Bush into the 2016 presidential race, courting him and his intimates and starting talks on fundraising strategy."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/influential-republicans-work...
2014-03-31 2:16 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Jackemy1 Since 1952 you have basically had two power "families" in the Republican party who ran the show - Nixon and Bush. When these names were on the ticket, the real Republican money and full force followed and the R's were very competitive or won. 52, 56, 60, 68, 72 - were Nixon years with only 60 losing out the electoral college but just about a statistical tie in the general. 64- was a nothing election with Goldwater 76 - was a stay away election because of Watergate. Bob Dole took his first one for the team with Ford. 80 - The GOP wanted a win and Bush Sr. jumped on the ticket with Reagan and stayed in 84. 88 - Bush 92 - Bush again. Perot and a couple of Bush missteps led to the loss. 96 - Bob Dole was a good soldier and took another for the team in a dead year. 00 and 04 - Bush Jr 08 and 12 - Two more throw away elections with McCain and Romney. Basically the GOP was Bush/Nixon and everyone else was just there for the cocktail party. Soon you are going to start hearing lots of Bush people name dropping Jeb Bush in the news. Like last week's hint that Barbara thinks her son is the best candidate for 2016... http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/2014/0306/Jeb-Bush-in-2016-... But, in the meantime the GOP has a little power vacuum and that has created a lot of different factions presenting their ideas for the future of the Party. So seeing whatever many names being tossed around for 2016 is a good and health thing. Heck, at least the GOP is talking about the future. What do the Dems have that is comparable? Seriously, what future are the Dems offering?......a third Clinton term? please.....
And ti think...I don't even have to sleep with Frank Underwood to get my information. "Many of the Republican Party’s most powerful insiders and financiers have begun a behind-the-scenes campaign to draft former Florida governor Jeb Bush into the 2016 presidential race, courting him and his intimates and starting talks on fundraising strategy." http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/influential-republicans-work...

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I truly hope the Republican base has moved far enough along to not put another Bush on the ticket, but who knows.  It would really help the Libertarian ticket, that's for sure.  

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » CPAC 2014 Rss Feed  

of 5