General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bulging L5-S1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-08 10:34 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: Bulging L5-S1
Hey all! It's been a frustrating couple years for me as far as training and racing goes. The past 15 months or so I have been dealing with a back issue that has kept me from running or biking and psychologically has taken all my motivation. MRI shows a bulging disc at L5-S1 and some edema on the left side of L5 (which is exactly where my pain has been).

PT showed a lack of flexibility in my hamstrings and hip flexors and lack of core strength. 5 weeks of PT had no significant improvement. Cortisone injection last year did absolutely nothing to ease the pain (once the Novocain wore off). Multiple chiropractic visits have had very little impact. I've been averaging 2-5 hrs of sleep each night and it's broken sleep at best.

I've not had any numbness or tingling and the neuroradiologist that I work with (who happens to be a marathoner) believes that the edema should subside if I can keep from irritating it for 5-6 weeks. The problem is that everything I do from rolling over in my bed to sitting on the toilet is very painful.

I am starting to look at surgical solutions but wanted to pose the problem here to see if any ideas would come out of BT.

Thanks,

Triathlete in pain! (But floating very well!!)

Edited by rstocks3 2014-03-08 10:35 AM

2014-03-08 4:32 PM
in reply to: rstocks3

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Bulging L5-S1

Originally posted by rstocks3 Hey all! It's been a frustrating couple years for me as far as training and racing goes. The past 15 months or so I have been dealing with a back issue that has kept me from running or biking and psychologically has taken all my motivation. MRI shows a bulging disc at L5-S1 and some edema on the left side of L5 (which is exactly where my pain has been). PT showed a lack of flexibility in my hamstrings and hip flexors and lack of core strength. 5 weeks of PT had no significant improvement. Cortisone injection last year did absolutely nothing to ease the pain (once the Novocain wore off). Multiple chiropractic visits have had very little impact. I've been averaging 2-5 hrs of sleep each night and it's broken sleep at best. I've not had any numbness or tingling and the neuroradiologist that I work with (who happens to be a marathoner) believes that the edema should subside if I can keep from irritating it for 5-6 weeks. The problem is that everything I do from rolling over in my bed to sitting on the toilet is very painful. I am starting to look at surgical solutions but wanted to pose the problem here to see if any ideas would come out of BT. Thanks, Triathlete in pain! (But floating very well!!)

Hi honey. Sorry about your back.  Is it bony edema? A stress fracture?  Facet arthritis?   A bulging disc doesn't really blow my skirt up.  If I MRI'd 100 people our age I would find 100 bugling discs.  HERNIATED discs are another story.  If you have stenosis or nerve impingement the surgery might help.  Back surgery works really well for nerve root impingement.  For pure back pain I am not sure how much it will help.  A rhyzotomy WOULD probably help if its facet joint arthritis.  They ablate the nerves around the facet joint.  its not really surgery so much as a procedure.  How about oral steroids? I use a 2 week tapering dose that helps a lot of my pts.  I can email you the protocol if you want.  Feel better soon

2014-03-10 12:10 AM

User image

Canyon, Texas
First of all, I'm not a medical doctor. But in my experience in self therapy with MRI confirmed herniated L4/L5, L5/S1 and RH Sciatica, nothing helped me better than a robust stretching regimen... especially in regaining flexibility in the hamstrings. Heat therapy is also beneficial. My perspective on back pain is simple pain management. Realize that there will be good days and bad days, do what you can to subside symptoms. Rest is good to a point but motion is lotion; muscles and supporting muscles atrophy without sufficient resistance. I would discourage any surgery unless absolutely necessary, IMO. I truly wish you the best!
2014-03-14 1:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Hello,

I feel your pain... well, actually, I used to. Not anymore. I suffered with back pain for many years until I found out about TMS. I don't know if the information will help you, but Google TMS and Dr Sarno. Maybe it can help you. Best.

EP
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bulging L5-S1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

L5-S1 protrusion, microdiscectomy, and 140.6 aspirations

Started by syjenkins
Views: 3524 Posts: 6

2012-11-08 1:23 PM syjenkins

Back Surgery, Lumbar L4 L5

Started by tripaddle
Views: 1071 Posts: 2

2012-08-29 4:22 PM QueenZipp

Herniated Disc - L5-S1

Started by DLaw
Views: 9559 Posts: 7

2012-12-04 1:18 PM syjenkins

Returning to training after Spinal Fusion L5 S1 Pages: 1 2

Started by MCB
Views: 24352 Posts: 29

2017-06-18 9:09 AM Endorphin Hub

LUMBAR FUSION L5 S1

Started by ff829
Views: 3951 Posts: 5

2008-12-13 10:49 AM ff829
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 10, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I am racing in the Florida Ironman. My question is this: which position is going to be better for me to ride in, the aero position or the traditional road position?