General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago ITU logistics help please... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-09 11:05 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: Chicago ITU logistics help please...

If we stay at the Allerton Hotel on Michigan Ave. can we walk to the race site?  It's not listed as one of the events hotels but I can stay there for hundreds less due to an agreement a friend has with his employer.  Still, I know parking costs/headaches in Chicago can quickly eat up any perceived/real savings.  Is the Allerton viable hotel for that race?

Thanks

2014-03-09 11:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Chicago ITU logistics help please...
Do not know, personally I am trying to figure out how I can do this race then be in Milwaukee in time to stand up for a friends wedding.

Edited by bcagle25 2014-03-09 11:11 AM
2014-03-09 11:11 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25 So not know, personally I am trying to figure out how I can do this race then be in Milwaukee in time to stand up for a friends wedding.

I bet you can.....I don't think it took us an hour, but maybe just a bit more, to get to Milwaukee from Chicago last year.

2014-03-09 11:14 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
If they would release the schedule it would be great, so I actually know what times I am working with. Curious to see the layout of this course as well, I think they can hit a grand slam with this race if done properly.
2014-03-09 2:20 PM

User image

over a barrier
Little bit of a hike if the start is at the fountain. Quick cab ride
2014-03-09 2:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by running2far Little bit of a hike if the start is at the fountain. Quick cab ride

Thanks.....about how far?  Cab will be tough, we'll have two bikes.....maybe they can ride there?

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-09 2:27 PM

2014-03-09 3:24 PM

That is quite a bit north. It'll be a long walk but quite scenic since you'll be in the heart of the N. Michigan shopping district. With gear and bike. . .25-35 minutes maybe. If I was that far north, I'd jump on the bike and ride to the start, its pretty much a straight shot down Michigan assuming transition is near the fountain which it sounds like it is going to be. Riding down Michigan at the time you'll be doing it isn't going to be bad but if you're not used to a little traffic. . . might be nerve racking. You could also go down Wabash which is one street west and that should be pretty empty early on a weekend.

If you've got any more questions, feel free to PM me. I don't live there, but I'm there everyday so I know a fair amount. I decided to pass on racing it but I'll be there spectating the pro race.

2014-03-09 3:43 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ziggie204 That is quite a bit north. It'll be a long walk but quite scenic since you'll be in the heart of the N. Michigan shopping district. With gear and bike. . .25-35 minutes maybe. If I was that far north, I'd jump on the bike and ride to the start, its pretty much a straight shot down Michigan assuming transition is near the fountain which it sounds like it is going to be. Riding down Michigan at the time you'll be doing it isn't going to be bad but if you're not used to a little traffic. . . might be nerve racking. You could also go down Wabash which is one street west and that should be pretty empty early on a weekend. If you've got any more questions, feel free to PM me. I don't live there, but I'm there everyday so I know a fair amount. I decided to pass on racing it but I'll be there spectating the pro race.

Thanks, I will.....the room is only 70.00 per night so I can't really pass it up....just trying to get it right for race morning.

2014-03-09 4:12 PM

User image

over a barrier
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by running2far Little bit of a hike if the start is at the fountain. Quick cab ride

Thanks.....about how far?  Cab will be tough, we'll have two bikes.....maybe they can ride there?

Easy ride two miles ish
2014-03-09 8:35 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago

It's an easy 1.5 mi bike ride the morning of.  Transition will be just north of the Chicago Yacht Club.

2014-03-09 8:39 PM

I was going to suggest the Hostel International Chicago - about three blocks west of Buckingham Fountain - but the Allerton is a little bit cheaper than you'll pay there. A private room (with en suite bath) at HI will be $90-100 a night.

+2 on the Allerton as an easy trek from Michigan Avenue down to Congress.

2014-03-10 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
While it's not right next to the race site, it's not that far either. I live about 1/2 mile northwest of there and plan on riding my bike down for the race.

You can fairly easily access the lakefront trail and I plan on taking that to the race-site. From behind the hotel take St. Clair south, turn left on Illinois and that'll run you right into the lakefront path. Maybe a 10 minute ride to the race site at a leisurely pace..

As far as parking goes...well, the lots near the hotel are pretty expensive.

This is a good site to figure out where the best spot to ditch the car over race weekend is:

http://spothero.com/chicago/allerton-hotel-parking

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance in planning your trip! You're coming to my neighborhood and might have a suggestion or two!

2014-03-10 3:39 PM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

Pro

Originally posted by julio26pt2 While it's not right next to the race site, it's not that far either. I live about 1/2 mile northwest of there and plan on riding my bike down for the race. You can fairly easily access the lakefront trail and I plan on taking that to the race-site. From behind the hotel take St. Clair south, turn left on Illinois and that'll run you right into the lakefront path. Maybe a 10 minute ride to the race site at a leisurely pace.. As far as parking goes...well, the lots near the hotel are pretty expensive. This is a good site to figure out where the best spot to ditch the car over race weekend is: http://spothero.com/chicago/allerton-hotel-parkingGood luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance in planning your trip! You're coming to my neighborhood and might have a suggestion or two!

You all are excellent!  I'll be in touch as my plans get more dialed in.  My kids can't wait to come to Chicago!!

2014-03-10 10:50 PM

Hopefully by June, all the ice will be gone, otherwise, we may need to change this to a skate/bike/run.

2014-03-11 8:09 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

Jealous of you guys, im a 30 min drive from chicago and i can't do that race... my new daughter is due that day.

Here''s a tip, never day this to your wife. "so this tri is the same day as your due date, and i'd really hate to miss it"
2014-03-11 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Originally posted by ziggie204 That is quite a bit north. It'll be a long walk but quite scenic since you'll be in the heart of the N. Michigan shopping district. With gear and bike. . .25-35 minutes maybe. If I was that far north, I'd jump on the bike and ride to the start, its pretty much a straight shot down Michigan assuming transition is near the fountain which it sounds like it is going to be. Riding down Michigan at the time you'll be doing it isn't going to be bad but if you're not used to a little traffic. . . might be nerve racking. You could also go down Wabash which is one street west and that should be pretty empty early on a weekend. If you've got any more questions, feel free to PM me. I don't live there, but I'm there everyday so I know a fair amount. I decided to pass on racing it but I'll be there spectating the pro race.

Thanks, I will.....the room is only 70.00 per night so I can't really pass it up....just trying to get it right for race morning.

Whoa, where did you see this price? I checked and it's much higher for me....

I'm also going to Chicago for the ITU and will have the whole family with me, so I'm just starting to figure out the logistics of the thing.

2014-03-11 8:54 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dprocket

Whoa, where did you see this price? I checked and it's much higher for me.... I'm also going to Chicago for the ITU and will have the whole family with me, so I'm just starting to figure out the logistics of the thing.

Read what I wrote (not meant to be mean spirited) .....I have a buddy who has a set up with that hotel through his work....that's why we're staying there.  I'm just trying to figure out if the cheap rate is viable with other logistics of being at the race.  I've been to Chicago a few times....the whole driving/parking thing gives me a headache.

2014-03-11 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Read what I wrote (not meant to be mean spirited) .....I have a buddy who has a set up with that hotel through his work....that's why we're staying there.  I'm just trying to figure out if the cheap rate is viable with other logistics of being at the race.  I've been to Chicago a few times....the whole driving/parking thing gives me a headache.

aha.. I see it. Yes, the parking situation will be a pain. Trying to figure out how to do it with 4 little ones only makes it work.
2014-03-11 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by julio26pt2 While it's not right next to the race site, it's not that far either. I live about 1/2 mile northwest of there and plan on riding my bike down for the race. You can fairly easily access the lakefront trail and I plan on taking that to the race-site. From behind the hotel take St. Clair south, turn left on Illinois and that'll run you right into the lakefront path. Maybe a 10 minute ride to the race site at a leisurely pace.. As far as parking goes...well, the lots near the hotel are pretty expensive. This is a good site to figure out where the best spot to ditch the car over race weekend is: http://spothero.com/chicago/allerton-hotel-parkingGood luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance in planning your trip! You're coming to my neighborhood and might have a suggestion or two!

You all are excellent!  I'll be in touch as my plans get more dialed in.  My kids can't wait to come to Chicago!!

I wish they would post the course.  I'm excited as hell too.  That will be my third weekend in a row racing (a sprint and two oly's) and my dad is coming to see me race for the first time (this will be my 9th season!).  

You won't be too far away with the Allerton location and frankly, at that price, it will be worth the short jaunt.  Hell, get a Divvy, you can rent it and ride with them to the course.  Will be cheap and more fun anyway and right across the street from your hotel.

2014-03-11 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Bike check in will be the day before I bet.
2014-03-12 6:59 AM

User image

Milwaukee

Originally posted by bcagle25 So not know, personally I am trying to figure out how I can do this race then be in Milwaukee in time to stand up for a friends wedding.

I bet you can.....I don't think it took us an hour, but maybe just a bit more, to get to Milwaukee from Chicago last year.

I live in Milwaukee.

Downtown Chicago to Milwaukee is more like 90min-2 hours. Depends on how bad traffic is getting out of Chicago. It's fast after that.

It's 90 +/- miles.

2014-03-12 9:35 AM
in reply to: kskonkol

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kskonkol

I live in Milwaukee. Downtown Chicago to Milwaukee is more like 90min-2 hours. Depends on how bad traffic is getting out of Chicago. It's fast after that. It's 90 +/- miles.

You would know.  It sure didn't seem that long when we drove through (I guess around) Chicago on our way to Milwaukee.

2014-03-12 10:32 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by kskonkol

I live in Milwaukee. Downtown Chicago to Milwaukee is more like 90min-2 hours. Depends on how bad traffic is getting out of Chicago. It's fast after that. It's 90 +/- miles.

You would know.  It sure didn't seem that long when we drove through (I guess around) Chicago on our way to Milwaukee.

It depends on where exactly you're talking about for both ends. And also a LOT on traffic at the time. What you thought isn't necessarily impossible, but it's not something I'd count on being able to do. Not unusual for it to take an extra 20-30 minutes just to get out of the city if traffic backs up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago ITU logistics help please... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Will the Chicago ITU race sell out?

Started by dprocket
Views: 1527 Posts: 16

2013-08-21 8:01 PM tzcoaching

Please help my swim....please

Started by Chuckhead
Views: 1134 Posts: 7

2011-12-22 10:01 AM alath

Question, please give input! PLEASE HELP

Started by borsenik9
Views: 1649 Posts: 13

2009-04-16 10:59 AM tkd.teacher

NYC Marathon.. help with logistics

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1045 Posts: 7

2008-09-22 9:15 PM betsy

logistics help needed for Chicago

Started by Angeb
Views: 529 Posts: 3

2007-05-09 7:00 AM Angeb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.