General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginners question. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-10 5:06 AM

, England
Subject: Beginners question.
Hi everyone. New to the site (and Triathlon) so hopefully you won't mind if I ask a question as a complete beginner to distance running.

I'm quite happy on a bike, and this is where my strength is. I have never really focused on distance running before though; in fact I've not done any real running since my school days which ended a long time ago. Over the last month though I have progressed from literally not being able to go further than 600m without dying, to now, where I am up to just under 5k in around 30mins, which I'll take as some small progress.

My question then is this - at what distance should I really be thinking about nutritional / energy drinks or supplements during my runs? As I'm finding that at around the 3.5 - 4k mark I'm starting to tank. My mind tells me that this is a pathetic distance to be thinking about supplements, and that actually it's just that I haven't built up the stamina in my legs, and that if just keep at it - building distance slowly - it'll get better.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Stephen

2014-03-10 5:21 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Beginners question.
I think that you will have to try out doing it at different times and find out a suitable time when your body actually needs the energy drink.
root canal Rockville MD

Edited by ArturLoli 2014-03-10 5:23 AM
2014-03-11 8:24 AM
in reply to: Svalbaard

User image

Originally posted by Svalbaard As I'm finding that at around the 3.5 - 4k mark I'm starting to tank. My mind tells me that this is a pathetic distance to be thinking about supplements, and that actually it's just that I haven't built up the stamina in my legs, and that if just keep at it - building distance slowly - it'll get better. Many thanks for your thoughts. Stephen

You answered your own question It just takes time!

For most people, the hour mark is often the threshold where nutrition starts to become a factor. However it's quite personal. 

2014-03-11 8:29 AM
in reply to: Svalbaard

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I personally don't feel the need to take on calories until a run exceeds 90 minutes. People do vary in when/how much nutrition they would need on a long run but it's definitely not needed on a 4-5 km run, or anything under an hour. The only exception might be if you're running on an empty stomach in the morning--while some people are fine with a run up to an hour or so, others find it goes much better with a little food in the system--if an early AM runner, you might experiment with having a little easy-to-digest food before starting. I know if running early AM without eating anything, I definitely start to feel hungry/fatigued if the run goes much beyond 30-40 minutes, which for me would be about 6-8 km.

Assuming you've eaten adequately during the day before your workout, it's much more likely that the fatigue you're feeling is due to poor endurance and, probably, running too fast for your current fitness level. You should be running at an effort level that allows you to comfortably carry on a conversation.
2014-03-11 11:10 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I personally don't feel the need to take on calories until a run exceeds 90 minutes. People do vary in when/how much nutrition they would need on a long run but it's definitely not needed on a 4-5 km run, or anything under an hour. The only exception might be if you're running on an empty stomach in the morning--while some people are fine with a run up to an hour or so, others find it goes much better with a little food in the system--if an early AM runner, you might experiment with having a little easy-to-digest food before starting. I know if running early AM without eating anything, I definitely start to feel hungry/fatigued if the run goes much beyond 30-40 minutes, which for me would be about 6-8 km.

Assuming you've eaten adequately during the day before your workout, it's much more likely that the fatigue you're feeling is due to poor endurance and, probably, running too fast for your current fitness level. You should be running at an effort level that allows you to comfortably carry on a conversation.

x2

I don't fuel on runs shorter than 90 minutes either. If I know the run will exceed that length of time, I typically start fueling between 40 minutes to an hour into the workout.

Give it more time, and you'll get there. Welcome to distance running and triathlon!
2014-03-12 7:53 AM
in reply to: MechEChick

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Originally posted by MechEChick

I don't fuel on runs shorter than 90 minutes either. If I know the run will exceed that length of time, I typically start fueling between 40 minutes to an hour into the workout.

It was about 40-45 mins for me and I would eat a gel (cant stand them, but its better then running out of gas), But I have been playing with my "diet" I have gone Keto and am still building my distance, but I would imagine that I could avoid fuel all together, maybe trickle some sugar, water is all I really need and just enough to wet the whistle.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginners question. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beginner triathlete, nutritional info

Started by MelissaGrace
Views: 847 Posts: 3

2013-03-21 6:41 AM MelissaGrace

Beginners Diet - Thoughts ?

Started by SunSo
Views: 1803 Posts: 6

2011-01-06 12:55 AM Gladiador

Beginner

Started by chrissmith1921
Views: 1246 Posts: 1

2009-07-23 4:03 AM chrissmith1921

energy foods for beginner

Started by maeve78
Views: 1479 Posts: 11

2009-07-09 5:31 PM maeve78

Beginner nutrition questions

Started by mike512
Views: 1165 Posts: 5

2007-08-29 9:28 AM mrakes1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.