General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon shorts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-10 6:04 AM

, England
Subject: Triathlon shorts
Hi all, I am new to Triathlon and was hoping for a little guidance.

There seem to be a plethora of shorts on the market that cover everything from swimming, running, swimming & running, running and cycling, one piece suits, two piece suits etc etc.

I was hoping for a steer on a single pair of Tri shorts to initially cover both running and cycling as I'm presuming that most triathletes don't change shorts during the transitions between these? I am based in the UK so any weblinks would be useful.

Many thanks in advance.

Stephen

2014-03-10 12:17 PM
in reply to: Svalbaard

Subject: RE: Triathlon shorts
I bought a pair of Zoot tri shorts on amazon, great for all three (swim,bike,run) no need to change at all. sorry no link, i don't remember what model they were, and im at work right now... slacking off.
2014-03-10 1:09 PM
in reply to: seiken

I have a pair of Tri zoot shorts. They were the right price. Anything labeled 'Tri' shorts, should be good for all three (S, B, R). It has a very light pad. Where as a pair of Bike shorts has a bigger pad. This make them more comfortable for biking but not good for swimming (absorbs water, would be like a big diaper) or running (again diaperish, especially if you swam in them). I have a pair of bike shorts for longer training bikes, but I also train in my Tri shorts, maybe a little less comfortable but not too crazy. If money is an issue start with Tri shorts, best if you can try them on, as sizing is different for every company and then add Bike shorts as money allows.

Any one piece Tri suits should just have the light pad. Perfect for a race, so good for all three.

No changing in the transition, nudity is not allowed (atleast in Canada).
2014-03-10 3:31 PM
in reply to: nicroor

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'm a big DeSoto fan for tri shorts, both the Forza and Carrera lines.  You can get them through DeSoto or I've seen them on sale at both trisports.com and swimoutlet.com here in the US...I'm sure there are other swim discounters internationally.

2014-03-10 4:09 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

For tri's I use Desoto Carrera. I really like the double layer with the floating "pad". I've tried a few others, and they just don't feel as good.

Now these are for tri events only, and some runs. For training on the bike I use bike shorts (recently liking the Sugoi Neo-Pro and Castelli Presto).

As a data point on longevity, I had 4 pair of Desoto tri shorts for some 4+ years, using them for all my runs and tri's, and they performed perfectly throughout that time. And I was running a fair amount.

2014-03-11 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
x3 for DeSoto tri shorts. I have the tri shorts, 4 pocket tri shorts and the triathlon bib from them which I used for my first Ironman and it worked out great.

Great shorts and last a while, at least for me.

I am not sure where you can buy them in the UK though.

2014-03-12 10:33 PM

User image

If you think you will be racing a lot I would try out a one piece trisuit. They are really comfortable for racing shorter races.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon shorts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triathlon shorts

Started by Svalbaard
Views: 676 Posts: 1

2014-03-10 5:59 AM Svalbaard

CEP compression triathlon shorts

Started by Lonnie82
Views: 937 Posts: 1

2012-06-27 2:11 AM Lonnie82

Bike shorts ~vs~ Triathlon shorts

Started by katartizo
Views: 1862 Posts: 9

2011-11-27 3:32 PM BrianRunsPhilly

Triathlon shorts for all 3 parts

Started by camrod67
Views: 1963 Posts: 15

2009-05-21 6:51 AM melnick

Shorts, shorts, shorts

Started by natcon96785
Views: 947 Posts: 2

2008-03-12 7:23 AM sgillen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : GaryRM
comments : 1
Underwater Audio short-cord swim bud review.

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : December 10, 2009
author : stubberoo
comments : 0
The first time out and 50 meters in my oxygen was in very short supply. I realized that all that running didn't do much for this sport.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on further swim improvements, spicing up endurance swims, kicking for triathlon, pull buoy usage, not moving while kicking and rest intervals for fast/short sets.
date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.

date : May 30, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day butterflies, long Ironman training bricks, training in the heat, hydration, going hard in a short race, and hammering the swim.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle