Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Elements - Question for the Chemists Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-10 12:32 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Elements - Question for the Chemists

So, when I run with my buddy Bear, we have some interesting conversations.  Today went to the probability that we are the only living beings in the universe.  His claim was that carbon-based life forms are very rare because of the type of star that we come from, and that the probability that they then become intelligent lifeforms was even more smaller.  This led me to the claim that our understanding of life and the universe is very narrow and that there could be life forms that use other gasses like we do O2.  We both agreed at this point, and then I pushed it.

I said that the probability that we have EVERY STABLE ELEMENT in the UNIVERSE listed on our periodic table was unlikely.  Again, we have only studied matter from our own star, and mosly from our own solar system.  You could argue that we are bombarded by particles from our galaxy, but even THAT view makes it unlikely that we have discovered EVERY ELEMENT.

I am a golf pro who majored in marketing, so I am way out of my element.

Can I get an "AMEN" from a chemist?

2014-03-10 12:42 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Elements - Question for the Chemists

No, there are only so many building blocks. They can only be put together so many ways. The only ones not listed are even more dense. And the ones on the end are not naturally occurring... we had to help them. The table is the table. There are a ton of theories out there, but I have yet to hear there are other elements we do not know about. Now particles... that's a whole other discussion... but elements, I think that one is settled... I think.

2014-03-10 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Denver

Originally posted by pga_mike

So, when I run with my buddy Bear, we have some interesting conversations.  Today went to the probability that we are the only living beings in the universe.  His claim was that carbon-based life forms are very rare because of the type of star that we come from, and that the probability that they then become intelligent lifeforms was even more smaller.  This led me to the claim that our understanding of life and the universe is very narrow and that there could be life forms that use other gasses like we do O2.  We both agreed at this point, and then I pushed it.

I said that the probability that we have EVERY STABLE ELEMENT in the UNIVERSE listed on our periodic table was unlikely.  Again, we have only studied matter from our own star, and mosly from our own solar system.  You could argue that we are bombarded by particles from our galaxy, but even THAT view makes it unlikely that we have discovered EVERY ELEMENT.

Sorry, but it's extremely likely that every STABLE element in the universe is known and on the table.  Elements are defined by the number of protons in their nucleus and we've figured all of them out from one up to 118 or so I think.  92 - Uranium is the last naturally occurring one (I think). We'll probably add a few more man-made ones to the table, but theory says we can't go any higher than 137 because then the electrons would be going faster than the speed of light which is a physics no-no.

Also - FWIW - every atom in the solar system except for hydrogen, helium and lithium was created in the explosion of a super-nova - stars that existed before our sun and which our solar system formed from.  Every atom in your body was created in the center of a star.

PSS - We already know of life forms that use things other than O2 for respiration.  There are many kinds of microbes which live in anaerobic environments (no oxygen) which use other things such as sulfur, nitrate (NO3) or Iron instead of O2. O2 yields more energy though, so that's why it's preferred where its available. There's some thought that organisms somewhere else in the universe could use silicon instead of carbon as the building blocks for life, but as far as we understand life on earth it won't work for a variety of reasons.  But I don't think you could rule it out a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

So do I get a free lesson for that answer?

2014-03-10 1:12 PM

User image

2014-03-10 1:17 PM

User image

Elite

You should go post here now.

TW

2014-03-10 1:23 PM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by drewb8

Sorry, but it's extremely likely that every STABLE element in the universe is known and on the table.  Elements are defined by the number of protons in their nucleus and we've figured all of them out from one up to 118 or so I think.  92 - Uranium is the last naturally occurring one (I think). We'll probably add a few more man-made ones to the table, but theory says we can't go any higher than 137 because then the electrons would be going faster than the speed of light which is a physics no-no.

Also - FWIW - every atom in the solar system except for hydrogen, helium and lithium was created in the explosion of a super-nova - stars that existed before our sun and which our solar system formed from.  Every atom in your body was created in the center of a star.

PSS - We already know of life forms that use things other than O2 for respiration.  There are many kinds of microbes which live in anaerobic environments (no oxygen) which use other things such as sulfur, nitrate (NO3) or Iron instead of O2. O2 yields more energy though, so that's why it's preferred where its available. There's some thought that organisms somewhere else in the universe could use silicon instead of carbon as the building blocks for life, but as far as we understand life on earth it won't work for a variety of reasons.  But I don't think you could rule it out a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

So do I get a free lesson for that answer?

Well put answers to these questions.  The matter that is in every single one of us has nothing to do with our star, except for the fact that it orbits it and was formed from the same nebula.

We can create new elements, but they are unstable.  There are (at least I believe) different forms of matter, but that's a whole different ball game getting into that.  What you see on the periodic table is what you get.

There is certainly the possibility of life using other forms of respiration (as mentioned)  The one thing I have a hard time believing life could live with out is liquid water.  Water is the universal solvent.  For life things need to move, nutrients, wastes, energy, and there is nothing that we know of that is better then water.

Even if life is rare, which it probably is you have to take into account the size of the universe.  There are 100 billion stars in our galaxy, there are 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe.  Whats 100 billion times 100 billion?  A pretty big number.  Statistically it would be improbable to have life on only one of them.

2014-03-10 1:50 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Champion

But what if our understanding of what makes a unique element is flawed?  Why couldn't there be an atom with 9.5 electrons and neutrons?  My point is that we are viewing the universe from our current understanding of what makes it tick.  100 years ago, cars were rarely driven above 30 mph.  What do you think scientists will think of our periodic table in 400 years.

2014-03-10 2:22 PM

User image

Champion

Protons.  I meant to say "protons"

2014-03-10 2:28 PM

User image

Elite

But what if our understanding of what makes a unique element is flawed?  Why couldn't there be an atom with 9.5 electrons and neutrons?  My point is that we are viewing the universe from our current understanding of what makes it tick.  100 years ago, cars were rarely driven above 30 mph.  What do you think scientists will think of our periodic table in 400 years.

Because it isn't. Energy could have been converted millions of years ago to propel a car over 30 mph, it just took us a while to figure it out. But the physics is the same.

You need to understand the periodic table. One proton all the way up to 118... add neutrons for stability or different isotopes. Electrons form in shells bound by their rules... keep adding them up... you get isotopes of elements that are unstable and decay radioactively. Split U235 and you get cesium 137 and some other stuff. It's all just legos.

All you can do is keep adding... but they do not exist naturally, and they are unstable. So the periodic table is pretty much set. Let's eat.

Life as has been said has other theories. Planes of existence has theories. Particle physics has theories. Dark matter and energy states have theories... But elements, we have those figured out.

2014-03-10 2:49 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion

Originally posted by powerman

Because it isn't. Energy could have been converted millions of years ago to propel a car over 30 mph, it just took us a while to figure it out. But the physics is the same.

You need to understand the periodic table. One proton all the way up to 118... add neutrons for stability or different isotopes. Electrons form in shells bound by their rules... keep adding them up... you get isotopes of elements that are unstable and decay radioactively. Split U235 and you get cesium 137 and some other stuff. It's all just legos.

All you can do is keep adding... but they do not exist naturally, and they are unstable. So the periodic table is pretty much set. Let's eat.

Life as has been said has other theories. Planes of existence has theories. Particle physics has theories. Dark matter and energy states have theories... But elements, we have those figured out.

Tell me more about dark matter.  Planes of existence.  There is no possibility that we look back in 500 years and say, "Elements?  They thought that elements were the way to classify matter?"

2014-03-10 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

chemical engineer, not a chemist, just to clarify.

so yes, we probably have all the stable elements catalogued.  the numbers on the table?  they represent the number of electrons.  you can't get smaller than an electron - you can only have a discrete number.  every single number is represented up until you start getting into man-made.  not a single gap in the whole list.  sorry...stick to golf :-P

2014-03-10 3:13 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by powerman

Tell me more about dark matter.  Planes of existence.  There is no possibility that we look back in 500 years and say, "Elements?  They thought that elements were the way to classify matter?"

I understand the question, I just think you are using a poor example. The PT is just a list. Perhaps we understand how to better manipulate those block later... but the blocks make what the blocks make.

Now, we used to think all there was was protons, neutrons, and electrons... but those sub atomic particles are made up of other particles. The more we look the more we find. The Boson Higgs particle was theory for a long time, but we finally proved it existed. It is theorized that space is not actually empty...it is full. Full of dark matter that we do not yet understand. Just like we did not understand air. Star Trek's warp drives made a "wave" and surfed it. So I have no problem thinking that we will some day find out more about matter and energy and learn to manipulate it better. But the blocks are still the blocks.

2014-03-10 4:17 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Isn't there a type of crab on earth that has a copper-based cell structure?

2014-03-10 10:27 PM

User image

I think chocolate ( in it's purest form) should be on the periodic table.....
2014-03-11 9:04 AM
in reply to: Dolcezza

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by Dolcezza I think chocolate ( in it's purest form) should be on the periodic table.....

And caffeine.

2014-03-11 12:08 PM
in reply to: mehaner

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-03-11 12:15 PM
in reply to: briderdt

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-03-14 7:10 AM
in reply to: 0

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
The advantage of carbon is not so much it's stability as it's ability to form stable bonds the way it does. Silicone has a very similar ability so the possibility of silicone based lif forms is quite real. *bring on the bewb jokes*. Additionally there are over 100 billion galaxies in the universe, each containing billions of stars. I'm pretty sure there's enough carbon to go around.

Edited by trinnas 2014-03-14 7:11 AM
2014-03-14 9:26 AM
in reply to: trinnas

Master
Denver

Originally posted by trinnas The advantage of carbon is not so much it's stability as it's ability to form stable bonds the way it does. Silicone has a very similar ability so the possibility of silicone based lif forms is quite real. *bring on the bewb jokes*. Additionally there are over 100 billion galaxies in the universe, each containing billions of stars. I'm pretty sure there's enough carbon to go around.

The biggest hurdle to using silicon would be that when carbon is oxidized (such as when we burn glucose for energy), CO2 is produced, which goes into the blood, then the lungs and then diffuses away into the air since it's a gas.  When silicon is oxidized it forms SiO2 which is a solid, which would make getting rid of the waste products really hard for an organism.  It'd be way cool if something found a way to do it though.

One of those crazy facts is that there are more stars in the universe than grains of sand in every beach and desert on earth.  If that doesn't blow your mind nothing will.  With those odds, there's got to be something else out there somewhere...

2014-03-14 9:48 AM
in reply to: drewb8

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Originally posted by drewb8

Originally posted by trinnas The advantage of carbon is not so much it's stability as it's ability to form stable bonds the way it does. Silicone has a very similar ability so the possibility of silicone based lif forms is quite real. *bring on the bewb jokes*. Additionally there are over 100 billion galaxies in the universe, each containing billions of stars. I'm pretty sure there's enough carbon to go around.

The biggest hurdle to using silicon would be that when carbon is oxidized (such as when we burn glucose for energy), CO2 is produced, which goes into the blood, then the lungs and then diffuses away into the air since it's a gas.  When silicon is oxidized it forms SiO2 which is a solid, which would make getting rid of the waste products really hard for an organism.  It'd be way cool if something found a way to do it though.

One of those crazy facts is that there are more stars in the universe than grains of sand in every beach and desert on earth.  If that doesn't blow your mind nothing will.  With those odds, there's got to be something else out there somewhere...

Agreed there are some issues with using silicone if one is using oxidative phosphorylation for respiration. I think some form of anaerobic respiration would be required.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Elements - Question for the Chemists Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Architectural elements that elicit a visceral response... Pages: 1 2

Started by switch
Views: 2186 Posts: 34

2013-11-15 7:58 PM Asalzwed

QUIZ: What is your element? Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 1969 Posts: 28

2010-05-20 1:28 PM Sammeg

Honda Element Pages: 1 2

Started by medic1962
Views: 2369 Posts: 31

2010-02-06 8:23 AM bzgl40

Quiz: Which earth element are you?

Started by Renee
Views: 760 Posts: 14

2009-08-31 10:23 AM gobluedds

God bless the Chemists

Started by jkbostic
Views: 777 Posts: 7

2005-06-15 7:51 PM G8RLA94
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.