General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-05-28 12:58 PM
in reply to: gordon_mom

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread
Great race and great venue for a 70.3

This will be my second year at Racine - Can anyone speculate on the road conditions of the bike course - specifically the first and last 5-6 miles? Recalling from last year, there were miles of endless seams in the pavement so every 2 - 3 seconds, you'd be hit with a "Bump! Bump!" as you rolled over each seam. I heard a rumor that they were going to be improved from last year but nothing I'd like to rely on. Any thoughts?

2014-05-28 2:57 PM
in reply to: mattjsaba

User image

Los Angeles
I too would love to hear about the roads....they GOT to be fixing that last 5 miles right? Riiiiiight.
2014-06-03 10:34 AM
in reply to: waupaca11

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Hello all! I'm thinking of adding Racine to my race calendar this year. I just looked at Tri Bike Transport and it's going to cost $450 to get my bike up there from Orlando…YIKES!!!

I'm willing to rent a bike. Does anyone know where I can rent a bike in the area?

Also, keeping in mind that I live in Orlando and it's pancake flat, how hilly is the bike course? It didn't look to bad, but I just did Raleigh on Sunday it was brutal!

Thanks!
Theresa
2014-06-03 11:14 AM
in reply to: seitz1124

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by seitz1124

Hello all! I'm thinking of adding Racine to my race calendar this year. I just looked at Tri Bike Transport and it's going to cost $450 to get my bike up there from Orlando…YIKES!!!

I'm willing to rent a bike. Does anyone know where I can rent a bike in the area?

Also, keeping in mind that I live in Orlando and it's pancake flat, how hilly is the bike course? It didn't look to bad, but I just did Raleigh on Sunday it was brutal!

Thanks!
Theresa

Hi There!
Try calling Emery's bike shop in Milwaukee http://emerys.com/ They are about 25 minutes from Racine, but well worth the short ride to get the bike. If they still do the rentals, let them know that Amy and Cyndi suggested you call. I wouldn't trust my bike or my set up to anyone else in the area.

AS for the route, its not hilly around here. I wouldn't call it pancake flat. There are some rollers but nothing substantial. Quite honestly, I'd be more concerned about the water temps. We aren't getting the heat we need to warm up Lake Michigan.

Cyndi
2014-06-15 5:17 PM

User image

New user

This will be my first Half Ironman! Myself and a friend chose it because of the location (friends and family nearby= no hotel cost!) and the fact that it was flat. Training for me is going great. Feel like I am hitting some high points on my bike and in the water. Running no mater what the distance is my biggest difficulty. I have been finding brick workouts easier than before, I am hoping because of my training.

My biggest dilemma that I want to sort out now vs. race weekend is whether or not to wear a wetsuit. I love the water...grew up boating in southern IL...in all of my water experiences I have only worn wetsuits in extreme cold. I scuba dive, and if I was going to buy one, I would prefer for it to be "usable" in more than one sport. In this case, I don't know if that is a possibility. AND I am just not completely convinced I will need it. I swam this weekend in a lake at 76 degrees and it was fine. Any thoughts.... what does the temp in the lake normally run in July, and what is the temp right now...anyone know? Really getting excited at this point about the race!
2014-06-15 5:47 PM
in reply to: 0

Chicago

Looks like Racine came in at 53(?) on Friday's water test. I was in the lake here in Chicago yesterday where the water temp is already 62.6 degrees. Most of us had full sleeves but a couple of us had sleeveless. We were in the water for about an hour and I didn't get out shivering or anything. I believe the Great Lakes are now officially all ice free as of June 10. It'll warm up fast. Almost every reading last July it came in 65-70. 

You can keep checking here if you want: http://www.wibeaches.us/apex/f?p=181:18:0::NO:RP::

Edited by NewfangledDad 2014-06-15 5:48 PM

2014-06-16 5:48 AM
in reply to: kerichar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by kerichar

This will be my first Half Ironman! Myself and a friend chose it because of the location (friends and family nearby= no hotel cost!) and the fact that it was flat. Training for me is going great. Feel like I am hitting some high points on my bike and in the water. Running no mater what the distance is my biggest difficulty. I have been finding brick workouts easier than before, I am hoping because of my training.

My biggest dilemma that I want to sort out now vs. race weekend is whether or not to wear a wetsuit. I love the water...grew up boating in southern IL...in all of my water experiences I have only worn wetsuits in extreme cold. I scuba dive, and if I was going to buy one, I would prefer for it to be "usable" in more than one sport. In this case, I don't know if that is a possibility. AND I am just not completely convinced I will need it. I swam this weekend in a lake at 76 degrees and it was fine. Any thoughts.... what does the temp in the lake normally run in July, and what is the temp right now...anyone know? Really getting excited at this point about the race!

I would suggest getting a wetsuit, I live in Racine and only once in the past 8 years was the water tempurature above 70 it made it to 72 that day otherwise expect cold. I remeber one year getting in, putting my face in the water and it was so cold it literally took my breath away, i believe they said it was 58 degrees that day .......i am actually checking on what is legal to wear as far as boots, gloves, neoprene caps.
2014-06-16 9:05 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by Jo63

Originally posted by kerichar

I would suggest getting a wetsuit, I live in Racine and only once in the past 8 years was the water tempurature above 70 it made it to 72 that day otherwise expect cold. I remeber one year getting in, putting my face in the water and it was so cold it literally took my breath away, i believe they said it was 58 degrees that day .......i am actually checking on what is legal to wear as far as boots, gloves, neoprene caps.

What Jo says!!! Both Jo and I did the race when Lake Michigan was in the 50s. And it HURT!! A few years ago, I did the Irongirl. On Saturday the temp was a comfortable 68 degrees. For the short swim (400 meters), I figured not having a wetsuit would be just fine. Arrived at the race venue on race day, and the water temp dropped to 58. The lake is very unpredictable. Last year the temps were OK, but the conditions were so rough they pulled over 100 people from the water. And many that did finish the swim enjoyed a vomit-fest along the way. The wetsuit is not just for warmth, but additional flotation. I'm an above average swimmer, and I wouldn't go without one in that lake.

I've also watched a race in Kenosha where some opted to go without wetsuits. I watched at least 20 people drop out of the race after the swim because of being very close to hypothermia. Watched one fella who did suffer from it and was taken to the hospital.

2014-06-16 2:31 PM
in reply to: mattjsaba

My wife and I drove the bike course this weekend. First several miles still over Main Street with the expansion seams--bump, bump, bump. Rest of the course seems unchanged except for a portion of Kraut Road (50th St?), which was totally repaved. Looks pretty good. We were worried it would be like the Kettleman Duathlon we did in the spring--the word "killer" hardly seems adequate to describe those hills, and Racine seemed pretty tame in comparison.

J Kilborn--total newbie from Forest Park, IL.
2014-06-16 2:44 PM
in reply to: jkilborn

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by jkilborn

My wife and I drove the bike course this weekend. First several miles still over Main Street with the expansion seams--bump, bump, bump. Rest of the course seems unchanged except for a portion of Kraut Road (50th St?), which was totally repaved. Looks pretty good. We were worried it would be like the Kettleman Duathlon we did in the spring--the word "killer" hardly seems adequate to describe those hills, and Racine seemed pretty tame in comparison.

J Kilborn--total newbie from Forest Park, IL.

Kraut Rd east of the Interstate has not been repaved. Once you go under the overpass, Kraut Rd back to V is not in good shape at all...same condition as last year. I'm really hoping that they go back to the route from 2 years ago that takes us up Golf Rd to V. The entire section of 2 mile has been re-paved and Golf looks to be in great shape since the construction.

We've only done the route West of H (starting on Highway 20), we have not done 5 mile or any part of that route up H...etc.

Racine is a very flat course with just gentle rollers. One of the steeper inclines is heading out to Raymond, then coming out of Raymond before the right turn on 51st.

Just beware of the expansion seams on the return trip up Main street. For whatever reason, they seem worse coming back vs. going out.

Cyndi
2014-06-17 12:37 PM
in reply to: cynner

User image

Chicago, IL

I did Racine last year. The water temp was very comfortable (albiet VERY choppy).

Anyway, here's a link to water temps:
http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/michigan/m61.html

2014-06-17 1:01 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Bib List is up
2014-06-17 1:10 PM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

New user
Kenosha
Thanks, Jo! Looks like we have a decent wave start again. Whoo Hoo! A little extra time on the course for these old gals. :-)

2014-06-17 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by cynner

Thanks, Jo! Looks like we have a decent wave start again. Whoo Hoo! A little extra time on the course for these old gals. :-)

Sweet!!! I didn't see that, extra time works for me!!!
2014-06-17 2:06 PM

The one big question I still can't answer, even after visiting Racine, is where people park the morning of the event. We'll be coming up from a hotel in Kenosha, so I assume at least 30 minutes from the race site, and we saw that the parking garages are a good distance from transition. We also noticed there are a ton of streets near transition (beween Main and the park) that seem to have ample on-street, unrestricted parking (though I know we'll be battling with 2000 other race participants). Since we have to return our bike pump to the car on race morning (no pumps in transition :-( ), I'd like to not have to walk 20-30 minutes back and forth in the dark.

So locals and other experts, where should/can we park on race morning?

Thanks!

Jason Kilborn--still a complete newbie from Forest Park, IL
2014-06-17 2:13 PM

User image

New user
Kenosha

The one big question I still can't answer, even after visiting Racine, is where people park the morning of the event. We'll be coming up from a hotel in Kenosha, so I assume at least 30 minutes from the race site, and we saw that the parking garages are a good distance from transition. We also noticed there are a ton of streets near transition (beween Main and the park) that seem to have ample on-street, unrestricted parking (though I know we'll be battling with 2000 other race participants). Since we have to return our bike pump to the car on race morning (no pumps in transition :-( ), I'd like to not have to walk 20-30 minutes back and forth in the dark.

So locals and other experts, where should/can we park on race morning?

Thanks!

Jason Kilborn--still a complete newbie from Forest Park, IL

I suggest the street parking. There is plenty AND if you want to use your own pump, it can be easily returned to the car. There will also be bike support in transition for air.

2014-06-19 7:59 AM

Thanks--I'll give the on-street parking a try and hope for the best, then. Doing the Bigfoot tri in Lake Geneva on Sunday as a tune-up (and the ITU in Chicago next weekend). We'll see!

Jason K
2014-06-19 8:29 AM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD

Thanks--I'll give the on-street parking a try and hope for the best, then. Doing the Bigfoot tri in Lake Geneva on Sunday as a tune-up (and the ITU in Chicago next weekend). We'll see!

Jason K

In the years I've done it I've always parked on South Michigan Boulevard. Turn right after the drawbridge on to Dodge Street. It's about a half mile walk to transition or so. There has always been room to park there every year I've done it. One year someone was taking $10 to park in a vacant lot, but the other times there is a little road leading to the East, Reichert Court (look it up on google maps) and there has been room to park on that road.
2014-06-20 4:50 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

This is enormously helpful, buckeyeguy77--thanks so much!

Jason
2014-06-26 4:12 PM

So I have been planning to have Racine be my main race this year - and my first Half. Although I have not registered yet - trying to break up all my big expenditures this year and kept forgetting to register! So now I keep hearing about the water temp and that it might not be warm enough on race day. Have to admit that that makes me hesitate to register now. The swim is my strength and the chance of the swim being cancelled was why I didn't choose Steelhead. So now I'm not sure what I want to do. I hate to waste all the training I have done but I also would hate to do a half that isn't actually a half if the swim gets cancelled. Decisions...
2014-06-30 11:20 AM
in reply to: TriSlate

Originally posted by TriSlate

• . . So now I keep hearing about the water temp and that it might not be warm enough on race day. . . . I hate to waste all the training I have done but I also would hate to do a half that isn't actually a half if the swim gets cancelled. Decisions...

• First a sort-of response on the water temp, and then an unrelated question on bike aid ...

At the ITU here in Chicago this weekend, everyone was up in arms about the "cold" water, and race officials promised a contingency plan if it was "too cold." It ended up being in the high-60s, and though lots of people were grousing, it felt perfect to me, and the race went off without a hitch. Based on what I've seen of the water temp reports up there in Racine, I can hardly imagine the water in Racine being below 65 by July 20, and I've heard nothing about a potential cancellation for cold water. Given what I've read about the water conditions due to wind last year, and it WASN'T cancelled, it doesn't seem likely that the swim leg will be cancelled come hell or, literally, high water.

Now on the bike aid stations. Can't figure out how this works, and I'm hoping a forum called Beginner Triathlete will put up with such a basic question: How do the aid stations on the bike work? Do you just whiz by and grab an item of aid from a half-mile of volunteers holding various items (like they do at Kona, or in a running race, but at higher speed), or do you have to stop (like in a century ride)? And if they offer you a bottle of water/Gatorade, do you just ditch your own bottle and use theirs? I can't seem to find any discussion of how the bike-aid process works, and it would be great to know in adance to plan fuel and hydration strategies.

Thanks!

2014-06-30 11:41 AM
    in reply to: 0

Thanks! I think I was panicking a little because my coach kept finding reports that Racine was still in the 40s water temp wise. I found a page that actually lists north beach's temps which have been shifting up a lot over the last week or so to now be in the low 60s. So am not as worried.

My training group did the bike course yesterday and am getting excited. Still need to get some more quality run time in.

And I am definitely interested to hear how people handle the aid stations on the bike. My group passed a couple of tables set up but we just rode by. Unfortunately I probably should have stopped and gotten a water refill as I ran out about 5 miles from the end when the sun was in full blaze.

Edited by TriSlate 2014-06-30 11:43 AM
    2014-06-30 1:08 PM

User image

Chicago, IL

Originally posted by TriSlate . . . So now I keep hearing about the water temp and that it might not be warm enough on race day. . . . I hate to waste all the training I have done but I also would hate to do a half that isn't actually a half if the swim gets cancelled. Decisions...
    First a sort-of response on the water temp, and then an unrelated question on bike aid ... At the ITU here in Chicago this weekend, everyone was up in arms about the "cold" water, and race officials promised a contingency plan if it was "too cold." It ended up being in the high-60s, and though lots of people were grousing, it felt perfect to me, and the race went off without a hitch. Based on what I've seen of the water temp reports up there in Racine, I can hardly imagine the water in Racine being below 65 by July 20, and I've heard nothing about a potential cancellation for cold water. Given what I've read about the water conditions due to wind last year, and it WASN'T cancelled, it doesn't seem likely that the swim leg will be cancelled come hell or, literally, high water. Now on the bike aid stations. Can't figure out how this works, and I'm hoping a forum called Beginner Triathlete will put up with such a basic question: How do the aid stations on the bike work? Do you just whiz by and grab an item of aid from a half-mile of volunteers holding various items (like they do at Kona, or in a running race, but at higher speed), or do you have to stop (like in a century ride)? And if they offer you a bottle of water/Gatorade, do you just ditch your own bottle and use theirs? I can't seem to find any discussion of how the bike-aid process works, and it would be great to know in adance to plan fuel and hydration strategies. Thanks!

The bike aid stations are set up so you bike through them. (You can dismount, if you need to use the facilities)
    Be sure to slow down. Don't try and hurtle through at 22mph, hoping to grab a bottle from a volunteer.

The stations are set up by zone. I forget the layout, but you'll pass Water - Perform - Food - Perform - Water, or something to that effect.

2014-06-30 1:55 PM
    in reply to: Brit Abroad

Awesome--thanks so much, Paul (Brit)!
    2014-07-01 9:42 AM
    in reply to: #4962883

Link to satellite data for surface water temps which is a fairly good estimate of water temps in my experience. http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/michigan/m61.html

The lake is a funny thing. It can be 68 one day and then a strong west wind comes in for a day or two and it's 58. The west wind also tends to make it flat. You seldom get both flat and 68.

I would say if you are not comfortable swimming in 60 degree water or 3 ft waves don't sign up because either of those are very likely. Last year there were dozens of DNS and DNF because it was pretty rough. I didn't mind the rough because it also made it warmish.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by cynner
    Views: 36815 Posts: 351

2013-07-25 2:37 PM julio26pt2

Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by Mike J
    Views: 60675 Posts: 660

2013-01-28 2:46 PM maslowrun

Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by btompkins0112
    Views: 52285 Posts: 508

2012-05-30 8:45 AM AOIbis

Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by miami9296
    Views: 45340 Posts: 474

2010-09-19 5:51 PM hschrade

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
    Views: 30720 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 28, 2012
    author : packetron
    comments : 4
    My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
    author : Amy Kuitse
    comments : 6
    I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
    date : October 8, 2009
    author : brianyanowski
    comments : 2
    Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
    author : mrmarkcole
    comments : 37
    Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
    date : August 21, 2008
    author : TriChica
    comments : 8
    I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
    author : vm354
    comments : 1
    How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
    date : January 1, 2008
    author : jgosse66
    comments : 0
    Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
    author : jgosse66
    comments : 0
    It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.