General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-07-01 10:48 AM
in reply to: jkilborn

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread
Originally posted by jkilborn

Originally posted by TriSlate

• . . So now I keep hearing about the water temp and that it might not be warm enough on race day. . . . I hate to waste all the training I have done but I also would hate to do a half that isn't actually a half if the swim gets cancelled. Decisions...

• First a sort-of response on the water temp, and then an unrelated question on bike aid ...

At the ITU here in Chicago this weekend, everyone was up in arms about the "cold" water, and race officials promised a contingency plan if it was "too cold." It ended up being in the high-60s, and though lots of people were grousing, it felt perfect to me, and the race went off without a hitch. Based on what I've seen of the water temp reports up there in Racine, I can hardly imagine the water in Racine being below 65 by July 20, and I've heard nothing about a potential cancellation for cold water. Given what I've read about the water conditions due to wind last year, and it WASN'T cancelled, it doesn't seem likely that the swim leg will be cancelled come hell or, literally, high water.

Now on the bike aid stations. Can't figure out how this works, and I'm hoping a forum called Beginner Triathlete will put up with such a basic question: How do the aid stations on the bike work? Do you just whiz by and grab an item of aid from a half-mile of volunteers holding various items (like they do at Kona, or in a running race, but at higher speed), or do you have to stop (like in a century ride)? And if they offer you a bottle of water/Gatorade, do you just ditch your own bottle and use theirs? I can't seem to find any discussion of how the bike-aid process works, and it would be great to know in adance to plan fuel and hydration strategies.

Thanks!

Each person handles the aid stations differently. Some will whiz by and try grabbing something going 22+ mph. The volunteers will reach it out to you, but your chances of grabbing it are slim. Some people, like myself, just slow down to a reasonable and safe (for me) speed to grab it. Others to stop entirely. it's up to the person, but the biggest thing is communication. A lot of accidents happen at aid stations. I would tell everyone around you if you are going to stop or let people know you are slowing down. If you don't need anything I'd stay to the far left and out of the way.

The volunteers do a pretty good job of yelling out what they are holding, but if you yell what you want/need they'll usually tell you where it's at. If you are going slow enough and the volunteer is up to it, they'll usually try to run next to you for a few steps while you grab it. After you've grabbed what you need, try to hold your line. Don't just veer back over to the left because somebody going faster might run in to the back of you. Just be careful and be safe.

2014-07-01 11:34 AM
    in reply to: Dangerjim71

Originally posted by Dangerjim71

Link to satellite data for surface water temps which is a fairly good estimate of water temps in my experience. http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/michigan/m61.html

The lake is a funny thing. It can be 68 one day and then a strong west wind comes in for a day or two and it's 58. The west wind also tends to make it flat. You seldom get both flat and 68.

I would say if you are not comfortable swimming in 60 degree water or 3 ft waves don't sign up because either of those are very likely. Last year there were dozens of DNS and DNF because it was pretty rough. I didn't mind the rough because it also made it warmish.

Thanks! I definitely don't mind the water temp or waves - as I said the swim is my strength and where I feel the most comfortable. I was just more worried that it would be cancelled. Sounds like that is not likely so Racine it is!

That is a great page to monitor - I have also been checking out the Racine - North Beach page: http://www.wibeaches.us/apex/f?p=181:18:0::NO:RP::
    looks like the temp has dropped back down to low 50s thanks to the lovely weather we have been having. ugh.
    2014-07-04 10:15 AM
    in reply to: Jo63

User image

New user

Thanks Jo,
    After talking to another swim friend, I have decided to rent one. From all the swim discussion, it looks like the swim could be the biggest challenge of the day!! Looking forward to this adventure! Kelly
    2014-07-04 10:24 AM
    in reply to: cynner

User image

New user

Great info! I am going to rent one since most of my races are near St. Louis, MO....no need to purchase at this point! My friend who I consider my "swim coach" (and who has done Racine) said the same thing....it isn't just about warmth...flotation is just as important. Ahhh...now I need to get outside and ride a little. Love the timing of this race, because I can still enjoy the holiday weekend because the LONGEST workouts are done! Happy 4th to all you Ironpeople! Enjoy your family and friends!
    2014-07-07 7:59 AM
    in reply to: buckeyeguy77

Buckeyeguy comes through again--thanks for the detailed info on aid stations!

My wife and I took a weekend up in Racine, and I have some intel to share:

1. WATER: cold. It was probably mid-50s, judging by the MSU site, and it felt it. Our feet and faces hurt. All but impossible to do that swim without a wetsuit. Of course, it could be 70 by race day, but be prepared for cold. It was, however, clear and beautiful. Nice swim.

2. BIKE COURSE: very bumpy. I'd say at least 50% of the course has winter cracks much like those on Main leading out of town (Cty H and Cty V are pretty cracked up, as is Krout Rd, though Main St. is better coming back than going out). I got us relatively inexpensive FuelBelt aero bento boxes and Profile Design front-mounted aero bottles/brackets to avoid the bike aid stations, and we tried them out--every bump splashed me with a bit of water from that front-mounted bottle (even with the sponge) until I had drunk it down to about 2/3. I think I'll close up the refill hole entirely with a plastic disk ... But the ride was fairly easy, even the largest "hills" were just little rollers. Only confusing thing will be irrelevant come game day: Wisconsin loves to give every road three names and mark only one of them. Cty U is 76th St, and Krout Rd. west of I-94 is actually 50th Rd, which is the fastest and smoothest portion of the course.

3. RUN COURSE: smooth and easy.

4. Where to eat: The Charcoal Grill was one of the best places I've ever eaten. Great service, great food, nice location on 20/Washington. Try it.
    2014-07-07 1:24 PM
    in reply to: #5019929

Our tri club did an organized and supported swim of the course yesterday at noon. The water was 54*F according to my friend's temp reading. There was also a south wind which made it seem like swimming in one of those endless pools full of ice water.

I've swam the course a dozen times in the last 12 months and this was probably as tough as it gets. Tougher than last years deadliest catch swim on race day.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but if you're not used to swimming in these conditions make every effort to get in the water ahead of time and get comfortable with it. I swam with several prior year finishers who could not endure the cold yesterday and these are some fairly experienced athletes.

Neoprene caps and maybe even booties will help make it more tolerable.

2014-07-07 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    be ready for hot weather my first 3 trys at this race where all 95+ temps. I signed up to try and beat the demons buts no promise it will. this race has my worst 3 HIMs
    2014-07-08 9:01 AM
    in reply to: jkilborn

User image

Chicago
    This is great info on the course. I am thinking of going up there on Friday to try out the course as well.

Thanks!

Originally posted by jkilborn

Buckeyeguy comes through again--thanks for the detailed info on aid stations!

My wife and I took a weekend up in Racine, and I have some intel to share:

1. WATER: cold. It was probably mid-50s, judging by the MSU site, and it felt it. Our feet and faces hurt. All but impossible to do that swim without a wetsuit. Of course, it could be 70 by race day, but be prepared for cold. It was, however, clear and beautiful. Nice swim.

2. BIKE COURSE: very bumpy. I'd say at least 50% of the course has winter cracks much like those on Main leading out of town (Cty H and Cty V are pretty cracked up, as is Krout Rd, though Main St. is better coming back than going out). I got us relatively inexpensive FuelBelt aero bento boxes and Profile Design front-mounted aero bottles/brackets to avoid the bike aid stations, and we tried them out--every bump splashed me with a bit of water from that front-mounted bottle (even with the sponge) until I had drunk it down to about 2/3. I think I'll close up the refill hole entirely with a plastic disk ... But the ride was fairly easy, even the largest "hills" were just little rollers. Only confusing thing will be irrelevant come game day: Wisconsin loves to give every road three names and mark only one of them. Cty U is 76th St, and Krout Rd. west of I-94 is actually 50th Rd, which is the fastest and smoothest portion of the course.

3. RUN COURSE: smooth and easy.

4. Where to eat: The Charcoal Grill was one of the best places I've ever eaten. Great service, great food, nice location on 20/Washington. Try it.
    2014-07-10 6:35 PM
    in reply to: gdelamora

Regular
    Brighton MA
    anyone ready for some COLD weather...might make that water a little colder...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/07...
    2014-07-10 8:26 PM
    in reply to: espejo09

User image

Chicago
    Does anyone know what the minimum temperature the lake needs to be in order to cancel the swim?

Originally posted by espejo09

2014-07-11 9:17 AM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
    Originally posted by gdelamora

Does anyone know what the minimum temperature the lake needs to be in order to cancel the swim?

I believe Ironman's rule is 52-53 degrees. Below that and it's cancelled.

2014-07-11 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Give me cold over hot
    2014-07-11 11:56 AM
    in reply to: #5022527

I doubt it would be cancelled due to cold but not impossible. The right wind can do crazy things with water temps. Water temps less than a mile from shore and 40 feet down are as low as 40 degrees. The right wind and current can bring that into shore fast.

A shortened swim is definitely a possibility just for safety's sake as the average 70.3 swimmer is ill prepared for a 1.2 mile swim in 55 degree water.

I hope nether happens and the water is a comfortable 64. I've been working hard on my swim and looking for a new PR
    2014-07-11 1:57 PM

User image

New user
    Kenosha
    Originally posted by buckeyeguy77

Originally posted by gdelamora

I believe Ironman's rule is 52-53 degrees. Below that and it's cancelled.

My guess is that if it is close to 52 degrees, the RD will float around until he finds temps at 53-54. :-) We have to hope for prevailing winds from the East. That will warm the water, but also make for rough water. Very rarely does Lake Michigan provide both calm and warm.
    2014-07-11 2:31 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
    thought I saw 58 on the beach report today. thats good enough for me . rather have cold than high waves

Edited by BuckHamilton 2014-07-11 2:31 PM
    2014-07-11 3:11 PM
    in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

New user
    Kenosha
    Originally posted by BuckHamilton

thought I saw 58 on the beach report today. thats good enough for me . rather have cold than high waves

I'll take 58 and calm as well. It'll get me out of the water faster. LOL!

2014-07-11 4:19 PM
    in reply to: cynner

User image

Chicago
    I'll also take the cold water temps over high waves.

Originally posted by cynner

Originally posted by BuckHamilton

I'll take 58 and calm as well. It'll get me out of the water faster. LOL!

2014-07-11 5:17 PM

last I looked today it had dropped back down to 56. I really need to quit obsessively checking the Racine water temp - it is stressing me out and it's not like I have any control over it. Hoping that it will be back up to 60 by race day. I only have a sleeveless wetsuit but not sure if that would be enough if it drops much below that.
    2014-07-13 9:27 AM
    in reply to: #4962883

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Sterling
    How do they seed the swim start? I don't remember putting in a swim time at registration. Just wondering if I'll be stuck behind the slow swimmers or not.(no offense :p)! Looks like cold water temps. I've never swam in that cold of water before and thinking a neoprene cap might be worth investing in.
    2014-07-13 2:32 PM
    in reply to: #5024986

2014-07-13 6:45 PM
    in reply to: #5025046

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Sterling
    Not sure how I missed that but thank you! Guess I'll be doing a lot of passing Sunday, bearing any unforeseen events!

2014-07-13 7:59 PM
    in reply to: Bevie

User image

Los Angeles
    you will be chilled getting in with a sleeveless but you'll warm up 10 min or so into the swim. A neoprene cap might be a worthwhile investment...I plan on wearing 2 swim caps, that should keep me warm enough.
    2014-07-14 9:22 AM
    in reply to: #5025126

There is a lot of water and only two turns so passing is not a problem on the swim

Neoprene cap and booties are highly recommended for the swim. Emery's in Milwaukee has them in stock and for me I've already invested so much into this sport and registration fees that spending another $50 to be comfortable on the swim is worth it.
    2014-07-14 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    weather is looking good for the race. Must mean high waves
    2014-07-14 10:45 AM

I'm definitely planning to wear two caps (one silicon and the race latex one) which should help. I can handle cold temps relatively well so think I should be good in the sleeveless. will see! am planning to hop in the lake after racking my bike and get a feel for it. fingers crossed that it warms up just a little bit more.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by cynner
    Views: 36812 Posts: 351

2013-07-25 2:37 PM julio26pt2

Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by Mike J
    Views: 60673 Posts: 660

2013-01-28 2:46 PM maslowrun

Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by btompkins0112
    Views: 52284 Posts: 508

2012-05-30 8:45 AM AOIbis

Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by miami9296
    Views: 45340 Posts: 474

2010-09-19 5:51 PM hschrade

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
    Views: 30715 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 28, 2012
    author : packetron
    comments : 4
    My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
    author : Amy Kuitse
    comments : 6
    I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
    date : October 8, 2009
    author : brianyanowski
    comments : 2
    Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
    author : mrmarkcole
    comments : 37
    Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
    date : August 21, 2008
    author : TriChica
    comments : 8
    I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
    author : vm354
    comments : 1
    How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
    date : January 1, 2008
    author : jgosse66
    comments : 0
    Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
    author : jgosse66
    comments : 0
    It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.