Other Resources My Cup of Joe » So what is your personality type? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-03-11 11:20 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Subject: RE: So what is your personality type?

I am an INTP with the I and P off the scale.     

2014-03-11 11:21 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Queen BTich

Originally posted by tech_geezer

I've never responded honestly to the Meyers Briggs survey.  I must fall into some odd category.

The first time I was asked to participate in a survey it was part one of these team building exercises with an all day retreat.  I hate these things.  We received the survey ahead of time.  I started to fill it out and noticed they kept asking the same question different ways.  I decided I would keep track of each type of question and answer each one in alternate extremes of the responses.  So, I turned it in the day before the session as required.  I did not know the mythology of these things at the time and how seriously people take it.  Anyway, the instructor sought me out at the first break and asked in all seriousness if I was ok.  I told him I was not into revealing much about myself.   I didn't want to do the survey and he should just ignore it.  He was crushed.  Really I had no idea that I could rain on somebody's parade like that.

TW

I've done this too! I usually do it when I resent taking them, am being made to take it, etc. Like at the event you described or for school "group exercise" time wasters. Good fun.

2014-03-11 11:29 AM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Comet

I've never responded honestly to the Meyers Briggs survey.  I must fall into some odd category.

The first time I was asked to participate in a survey it was part one of these team building exercises with an all day retreat.  I hate these things.  We received the survey ahead of time.  I started to fill it out and noticed they kept asking the same question different ways.  I decided I would keep track of each type of question and answer each one in alternate extremes of the responses.  So, I turned it in the day before the session as required.  I did not know the mythology of these things at the time and how seriously people take it.  Anyway, the instructor sought me out at the first break and asked in all seriousness if I was ok.  I told him I was not into revealing much about myself.   I didn't want to do the survey and he should just ignore it.  He was crushed.  Really I had no idea that I could rain on somebody's parade like that.

TW

I've done this too! I usually do it when I resent taking them, am being made to take it, etc. Like at the event you described or for school "group exercise" time wasters. Good fun.

This true and yet you did not call me as you went through Atlanta this weekend.

TW

2014-03-11 11:36 AM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Techdiver
Originally posted by msteiner

I'm an ENFJ.

Look at us in the rare 2% of people crowd.. And here I thought I was the only oddball on this forum.

me too! ENFJ

2014-03-11 12:00 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I haven't taken this in a long time, since a team building workshop like mentioned before.

Just did it again, another INTJ here.

•You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
•You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (50%)
•You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
•You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (56%)
2014-03-11 12:17 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I just took an online one. I was probably pretty neutral on most of my answers, but still ended up as an INTJ as well. Weird. It 'feels" like a reasonable assessment and would have said the same thing. No surprises. I want the wife to take it. I would assume she is kind of the opposite. I wonder why why we seem to be so good together?

2014-03-11 12:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Pretty cool. The testing was part of a leadership program our CEO does. I answered in the middle a lot because I can do both usually. But when it says what my inclination is... then ya, it pretty much nailed me. And more than likely I would score more extreme if I was 100%.

I'm an inventor. See the big picture. Work abound problems. Can be quite charming. I was quite surprised to see Obama is a ENTP.... that explains a lot...

The DiSC profile really pegged me. I'm very good at spotting flaws in plans, don't waste time with small talk, don't mind telling you what I think... the report it spit out was pretty much me 100%. Pretty interesting.

In my job, the progression is always about competency. And I am very competent at what I do. But going into management, I never really thought about what it takes to be a competent manager. I just expect everyone to do their job like me. The CEO has this little program that is his passion. Pretty interesting so far.

Oh, and Strength finders.... Intellection, learner, context, relator, responsibility.

A guy in my group had Competition as his first strength, and as soon as he said it, I thought I could beat him at it. I don't know where competition is for me... but it has to be 6 or 7.

Edited by powerman 2014-03-11 12:26 PM
2014-03-11 12:32 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Originally posted by NXS

Which one?

Haha!!! List them all if there is enough room in the text box

I am ENFJ. I love tests like this. Question... how important do you think tests like this are in relationships, and potential spouse?
2014-03-11 12:47 PM
in reply to: Dolcezza

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Dolcezza
Originally posted by NXS Which one?
Haha!!! List them all if there is enough room in the text box I am ENFJ. I love tests like this. Question... how important do you think tests like this are in relationships, and potential spouse?

I don't really think they are. I mean, that is sort of a different area and people have shown they can work around anything. If you are having problems in a area, well then it might explain some things. But as a rule I do not think it makes any more sense that what sign you are. Except my wife and I are both Aries and we butt heads all the time... go figure.

The testing itself I find very interesting. It's interesting to look at why people do what they do. My dad is a near hermit, and my mom is very extroverted. I can be both. I think we have the ability to do what we need to in areas. But looking at our "nature" does say something.

2014-03-11 12:59 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by powerman

Originally posted by Dolcezza
Originally posted by NXS Which one?
Haha!!! List them all if there is enough room in the text box I am ENFJ. I love tests like this. Question... how important do you think tests like this are in relationships, and potential spouse?

I don't really think they are. I mean, that is sort of a different area and people have shown they can work around anything. If you are having problems in a area, well then it might explain some things. But as a rule I do not think it makes any more sense that what sign you are. Except my wife and I are both Aries and we butt heads all the time... go figure.

The testing itself I find very interesting. It's interesting to look at why people do what they do. My dad is a near hermit, and my mom is very extroverted. I can be both. I think we have the ability to do what we need to in areas. But looking at our "nature" does say something.

I can't count how many of these different tests I've taken over the years and I equally can't even begin to remember what any of the results were.  lol

I did work at one company that was a firm believer in the wonderlic tests for all prospective employees.  It's more of a generic IQ type test though and they had a range for every position at the company.  You could have 4 Harvard PHD's and they wouldn't hire you if you were above or below the range for the position you were being interviewed for.

Some of the more mundane jobs like operations (staring at a monitor all day) required low scores because they knew "smart" people would just quit after 6 months.

Not saying it's right, but they swore by it.

2014-03-11 1:02 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

What are you supposed to do with the information once you've got it?

"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever" - Sigmond Freud

2014-03-11 1:03 PM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Stacers

Originally posted by switch

I've taken it three times, and every time I'm an INFP.

The first time I took it I was 18; it was one of many tests taken within the first few weeks of entering the Naval Academy.  They then had us all retest early in our sophomore year. (I think they were testing to see if plebe year had changed us at all.)  They presented all of the results in a required leadership class later sophomore year.  Interestingly, 87% of Midshipmen tested ESTJ.  Less than .03% (at least at the time I was there, and I don't know how long they had been collecting data) tested INFP--the exact opposite of ESTJ.  Of the midshipmen who tested INFP, over 97% left the Academy.  I hadn't yet decided to leave when I got that information, but I remember feeling some relief in knowing that maybe it was just a really bad fit for my personality.

I also have a strong dislike for the test every time I take it.  I probably say some version of "that's a stupid question" or "none of these apply" on a majority of the questions.  Yet every time, INFP.

That's funny. I'm also an INFP. I had to take the test as part of a leadership retreat when I was working as an engineer at a big oil company, and everybody in the room was an ESTJ except me. They actually made us go to different corners of the room based on our test results and it was me in one corner, and everyone else in the opposite! Like you, I hadn't yet decided to leave the company at the time, but I eventually realized that maybe that particular company's corporate environment was not well-suited to my personality! I'm honestly not sure how I got hired in the first place :)

Ha! Yes, the instructor of that course actually pulled me aside before class and talked to me about the results of the test because she was concerned that it might make me question if I should be there.  I assured her I had been questioning that for a long time :)

Have you found that you can do well in another corporate environment? 

I can't think of many corporate environments I would be happy in, but I don't have a ton of experience there either.

2014-03-11 1:11 PM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Pro

I just took the test. INTJ. Seems pretty accurate.

2014-03-11 1:11 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Left Brain

"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever" - Sigmond Freud

Not sure other than it's interesting.

The obvious answer is for work it shows how we relate to people. Finding out which types present problems and what motivates them or how they process information. One of the big ones is that I can make quick decisions and move on. My "type" tends to think out loud. This is a problem for more introverted types or those that need time to let information sink in. I think they are indecisive, and they think I'm reckless.... I don't care for small talk, and tell them bluntly they are not doing their job, and they go retreat to their shell...

At least for me, I have always been pretty good at reading people. But I also think everyone thinks like me, and clearly they do not. So if we are to work together the best, then accommodations need to be made. As far as personal life... well, I guess it's good chat room party conversation.

2014-03-11 1:15 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite

The first time I took it I was 18; it was one of many tests taken within the first few weeks of entering the Naval Academy.  They then had us all retest early in our sophomore year. (I think they were testing to see if plebe year had changed us at all.)  They presented all of the results in a required leadership class later sophomore year.  Interestingly, 87% of Midshipmen tested ESTJ.  Less than .03% (at least at the time I was there, and I don't know how long they had been collecting data) tested INFP--the exact opposite of ESTJ.  Of the midshipmen who tested INFP, over 97% left the Academy.  I hadn't yet decided to leave when I got that information, but I remember feeling some relief in knowing that maybe it was just a really bad fit for my personality.

I also have a strong dislike for the test every time I take it.  I probably say some version of "that's a stupid question" or "none of these apply" on a majority of the questions.  Yet every time, INFP.

That's funny. I'm also an INFP. I had to take the test as part of a leadership retreat when I was working as an engineer at a big oil company, and everybody in the room was an ESTJ except me. They actually made us go to different corners of the room based on our test results and it was me in one corner, and everyone else in the opposite! Like you, I hadn't yet decided to leave the company at the time, but I eventually realized that maybe that particular company's corporate environment was not well-suited to my personality! I'm honestly not sure how I got hired in the first place

Ha! Yes, the instructor of that course actually pulled me aside before class and talked to me about the results of the test because she was concerned that it might make me question if I should be there.  I assured her I had been questioning that for a long time

I can't think of many corporate environments I would be happy in, but I don't have a ton of experience there either.

She really went in an entirely different direction from the engineering/corporate world.  She is and artist and does super cool landscapes.

http://staceypeterson.com

Some day I will buy one of her paintings, when I am rich.

TW

2014-03-11 1:51 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

As a manager or employer, I can see a lot of potential for knowing this kind info.

For example, may not take the person that prefers to work solo and tends not to be the comfortable in social situations as team leader or going out on marking meetings IF you have someone better suited.  OR assign the person that tends to like to follow the known path or rules a lead position in a R&D department if you have someone that is more comfortable thinking outside the box.

In most cases, almost anyone can do just about anything if put into the position to do so.  BUT, if you have someone that may be slightly happier and more comfortable in a position suited to their natural tendencies?  That could be the couple extra one or two percent efficiency that can make a company profitable or just squeaking by.

I think it's putting people together and in positions that they would naturally feel more comfortable in if you have the ability to do so.

2014-03-11 1:54 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Regular
LHOTP

That's funny. I'm also an INFP. I had to take the test as part of a leadership retreat when I was working as an engineer at a big oil company, and everybody in the room was an ESTJ except me. They actually made us go to different corners of the room based on our test results and it was me in one corner, and everyone else in the opposite! Like you, I hadn't yet decided to leave the company at the time, but I eventually realized that maybe that particular company's corporate environment was not well-suited to my personality! I'm honestly not sure how I got hired in the first place :)

Ha! Yes, the instructor of that course actually pulled me aside before class and talked to me about the results of the test because she was concerned that it might make me question if I should be there.  I assured her I had been questioning that for a long time :)

She really went in an entirely different direction from the engineering/corporate world.  She is and artist and does super cool landscapes.

http://staceypeterson.com

Some day I will buy one of her paintings, when I am rich.

TW

Perfect INFP.

Beautiful work Stacey.

2014-03-11 1:59 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Kido

As a manager or employer, I can see a lot of potential for knowing this kind info.

For example, may not take the person that prefers to work solo and tends not to be the comfortable in social situations as team leader or going out on marking meetings IF you have someone better suited.  OR assign the person that tends to like to follow the known path or rules a lead position in a R&D department if you have someone that is more comfortable thinking outside the box.

In most cases, almost anyone can do just about anything if put into the position to do so.  BUT, if you have someone that may be slightly happier and more comfortable in a position suited to their natural tendencies?  That could be the couple extra one or two percent efficiency that can make a company profitable or just squeaking by.

I think it's putting people together and in positions that they would naturally feel more comfortable in if you have the ability to do so.

Kido, have you ever read Jim Collins' book Good to Great?  It talks a lot about this. I'd recommend it to anyone in a company leadership role.

2014-03-11 1:59 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
If you are burned out on the Myers-Briggs the Kolbe-Conative and the Korn-Ferry proprietary scales are pretty damned good from a management / organizational perspective.

For free, Multiple Intelligence surveys and understanding is the cheapest way to operationalize and understand different styles on a team.
I work for a school that teaches using MI. It works GREAT!
2014-03-11 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

Three main uses.

One- You can use the info to design a well rounded work team where they are diverse enough in style to not be clones/groupthink, but not so far apart that they battle over every stupid thing. Of course, you need the luxury of getting to pick and choose a team based off of style.

Two - Human resources - If you notice a trend of too many of one type, you may want to recruit with a focus of a more balanced-style team. Or one that matches your industry.

Three - If you have a manager that has a difficult time communicating or working with people different than them, it gives them a set of references and specific strategies to utilize with different people.

In general, good managers can do this intuitively, but raise your hand if you have only worked with good to great managers.... anyone? Bueller?

It seems basic, but does give a concrete playbook and reference in this regard.
2014-03-11 2:13 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Chatham Ontario
Originally posted by turtlegirl

Originally posted by Techdiver
Originally posted by msteiner

I'm an ENFJ.

Look at us in the rare 2% of people crowd.. And here I thought I was the only oddball on this forum.

me too! ENFJ

RUH ROH

3 of us. I was reading in several spots that only 2% of the population tested like this.

Go figure you find mass gatherings of odd people in triathlons.

2014-03-11 2:22 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Kido

Kido, have you ever read Jim Collins' book Good to Great?  It talks a lot about this. I'd recommend it to anyone in a company leadership role.

That's the point with strength finders... we spend far too much time working on deficiencies with little improvement and not enough time actually working on what we are good at. The premise of the mind set we have developed as a society is interesting. That somehow we are not supposed to concentrate on our talents, and instead need to fix what we are bad at.

At least when reading my strengths... I actually was attracted to the exact thing my strengths say I should be doing. I do not think that is the case for everyone. I managed to figure it out, and I truly love what I do. And I can point to my strengths as to why I have excelled in my area. Maybe that happens for most, I don't know.

But now that that is settled... in my position... I have been thinking in the back of my head on how I can be a better "people person" and "team player" and where I can go with that... yet all of my profiles show that I am a very driven person that needs no supervision and produces my best work when on my own doing what I do. My boss who is a micro manager would be well suited to throw me a bone and let me go to town on it than holding my hand. When I look at opportunities at my job, the ones that excite me the most are the ones described above (like project management)... yet I'm "supposed" to be a touchy feely team player. That part has been pretty interesting for me to see on paper.

2014-03-11 2:26 PM
in reply to: eabeam

User image

Pro

Originally posted by eabeam

Three main uses. One- You can use the info to design a well rounded work team where they are diverse enough in style to not be clones/groupthink, but not so far apart that they battle over every stupid thing. Of course, you need the luxury of getting to pick and choose a team based off of style. Two - Human resources - If you notice a trend of too many of one type, you may want to recruit with a focus of a more balanced-style team. Or one that matches your industry. Three - If you have a manager that has a difficult time communicating or working with people different than them, it gives them a set of references and specific strategies to utilize with different people. In general, good managers can do this intuitively, but raise your hand if you have only worked with good to great managers.... anyone? Bueller? It seems basic, but does give a concrete playbook and reference in this regard.

OK, but ya'll are working on figuring out your own personality type..........don't you know?

2014-03-11 2:47 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by eabeam

Three main uses. One- You can use the info to design a well rounded work team where they are diverse enough in style to not be clones/groupthink, but not so far apart that they battle over every stupid thing. Of course, you need the luxury of getting to pick and choose a team based off of style. Two - Human resources - If you notice a trend of too many of one type, you may want to recruit with a focus of a more balanced-style team. Or one that matches your industry. Three - If you have a manager that has a difficult time communicating or working with people different than them, it gives them a set of references and specific strategies to utilize with different people. In general, good managers can do this intuitively, but raise your hand if you have only worked with good to great managers.... anyone? Bueller? It seems basic, but does give a concrete playbook and reference in this regard.

OK, but ya'll are working on figuring out your own personality type..........don't you know?

I know who I am. In this context though, it is more about what I do and how I do it. That in itself is not a problem either, but it is when I have to work with others, or trying to get ahead. I'm sure young people starting out could use good info... but ya, by now I have it figured out for "me". But I still do need work on how I relate to others. I'm not trying to change my stripes, but there is useful stuff to learn.

I'm guessing from you doing what you do that you naturally are intune with yourself and the people around you. That you know how to interact, and you know how to read people and see what works on them and doesn't. Good stuff for sure for a detective. And since people are your primary job, you have had decades of experience in the area. So this might all be obvious to you... but for others, it isn't.

2014-03-11 8:26 PM
in reply to: tuwood

Veteran
Originally posted by tuwood

I took mine and it came up LOSER  

now that is witty wrapped around dry. ha ha haa
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » So what is your personality type? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Blood Type Diet for Type Pages: 1 2

Started by RBesecke
Views: 2644 Posts: 45

2011-10-23 1:28 AM RBesecke

Pharmaceutical Side Effects and Personality

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 1228 Posts: 19

2008-05-12 4:17 PM 1stTimeTri

Buffy Personality Test

Started by nbo10
Views: 775 Posts: 10

2007-07-04 8:58 PM jcdenton2000

how rare is your personality? Pages: 1 2

Started by autumn
Views: 1895 Posts: 46

2007-03-31 1:23 PM bradword

Very cool personality test Pages: 1 2

Started by jennrs
Views: 1492 Posts: 31

2007-03-24 7:19 PM courtney_leone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.

date : July 8, 2008
author : sportfactory
Training and racing with your body type mostly means a more analytical approach to both. Here are a few ways you can tip the genetic scale.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 4, 2006
author : AMSSM
Athletes with diabetes can exercise and compete at a high level. Exercise can help control blood sugars, particularly in Type 2 diabetics, but it can also worsen them if you are not in good control.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mrakes1
In spite of blaming metabolism for your body type or holding your genetics at fault, anyone can lose weight.