General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calories during race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-12 8:38 AM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: calories during race
What are your thoughts on nutrition and calories per hour during half/full ironman. I have done 2 halfs and cramped up on the run in both. I'm wondering if its from not enough calories. I'm 5'11 155 lbs and pretty lean. My strategy has always been 1 gel(100 cal) per hour on the bike, along with powerade as I need it. I heard second hand from a dietician/2 x ironwoman that in my full ironman in May I would probably need a gel about every 15 min. That sounds really excessive. Do I need to be taken in more than 1 gel/hr during these races?

2014-03-12 8:52 AM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Miami
Subject: RE: calories during race
Originally posted by mchadcota2

What are your thoughts on nutrition and calories per hour during half/full ironman. I have done 2 halfs and cramped up on the run in both. I'm wondering if its from not enough calories. I'm 5'11 155 lbs and pretty lean. My strategy has always been 1 gel(100 cal) per hour on the bike, along with powerade as I need it. I heard second hand from a dietician/2 x ironwoman that in my full ironman in May I would probably need a gel about every 15 min. That sounds really excessive. Do I need to be taken in more than 1 gel/hr during these races?

I am 5'11" and 160 lbs, so pretty much like you. After meeting with a sports dietician, she told me that based on how my body burns calories when I exercise, I should do this for HIM and IM races:

1. Swim: No much I can do here, just make sure that my pre-race nutrition is adequate and taking a sip or two of sports drink before starting the swim

2. Bike:
a. 1 gel per hour (she recommended PowerGel since it has a good amount of sodium. I tried it and I liked the Green Apple flavor); however, the first couple hours I can take a bar or a banana instead (If you are tired of gels, you can start with "heavier" and "harder" to digest nutrition first to make sure my body can digest it before starting the run)
b. 0.5 - 0.75 ml of sports drink

3. Run:
a. 1 gel every 45-60 minutes.
b. 0.5 - 0.75 ml of sports drink

This worked very well for me. I went from experiencing performance decrease during the last miles of the run to feeling strong during the entire bike and run legs. Keep in mind that nutrition is very personal though, try it during your long training sessions and see what works best for you.
2014-03-12 9:01 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

nashville, Tennessee
Thanks a lot! So I guess I was doing about right. I may try taking a little bit more in training and just see how it goes.
2014-03-12 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I've only done one HIM, but my intake was a bit different (as you'd expect - everyone's different).  So, for comparison...

Swim - yep, only so much you can do.  After a good breakfast, I sipped about a half liter of poweraid in the 30' prior, which was about 100 calories the way it was mixed.

Bike:  700 calories.  5 PowerGels (well, most of 5 - there was a little left in the flask).  Two large bottles of poweraid (each fairly dilute, so just over 100 cals in each).  Balance of fluid was plain water.  

Run:  Not exactly sure - guessing ~250 calories.  Had another gel flask and was going to go with a gel every 45 minutes, but took one mouthful of it and tossed it away (body said NOPE).  Had to audible versus the plan…  So, I got coke and poweraid alternating with water at the aid stations (a bit more than one per mile).  Guessing that the calorie/caffeine intake was similar to a gel every 45' based on the way I felt by comparison to training (and estimating intake).

I've always been able to take more calories on the bike, and that's how the race worked out, as well.

Total of ~1,000 calories over the race duration.

YMMV.  Have fun!

Matt

2014-03-12 9:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Miami
Sorry! I forgot to mention that the sports drink amount that I put in my previous post is per hour (0.5-0.75 l / h). Sometimes I drink water instead or I drink a combination of both until reaching those amounts. Glad it helped!

1 gel every 15 minutes sounds excessive for me too. You may be cramping because the sports drink and/or gels don't contain enough electrolytes (sodium specially). This dietitian recommended me to take 0.5-0.7 grams of sodium per hour (1 PowerGel has 200 mg sodium + 0.7l of my sports drink has 400 mg of sodium). Sodium is not all you need to replenish, but in my case, it was one of the most important variables that was affecting my performance.

Edited by davidfedez 2014-03-12 9:35 AM
2014-03-12 9:32 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by mchadcota2 What are your thoughts on nutrition and calories per hour during half/full ironman. I have done 2 halfs and cramped up on the run in both. I'm wondering if its from not enough calories. I'm 5'11 155 lbs and pretty lean. My strategy has always been 1 gel(100 cal) per hour on the bike, along with powerade as I need it. I heard second hand from a dietician/2 x ironwoman that in my full ironman in May I would probably need a gel about every 15 min. That sounds really excessive. Do I need to be taken in more than 1 gel/hr during these races?

I'm not saying it's NOT nutrition, but athletes often blame a poor run on not eating drinking/ enough (or too much) and don't consider fitness/ going out too hard on the bike/ etc. Food (no pun intended) for thought

2014-03-12 9:46 AM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

When I competed in a half iron distance race I used a coach who I believe knows some things about the science behind training, nutrition, etc.  Her rule of thumb was basically:

250-300 cals/hour on the bike

200 cals per hour on the run

This worked for me, some will say that they simply can't take this much.  You definitely have to practice it.  How you get these calories is personal, of course. I prefer sport drink on the bike with some supplementary chews, and gels on the run.

My understanding is that cramping is usually due to overextending in fitness.  In a race you will go faster or maybe take on terrain that you're not used to.   Most (all?) studies do not confirm a relationship between cramping and lack of nutrition, a need for salt, etc.   I know this is VERY commonly stated, but I've never seen anything to back this up.

2014-03-12 10:09 AM

User image

Originally posted by trishie
p>I'm not saying it's NOT nutrition, but athletes often blame a poor run on not eating drinking/ enough (or too much) and don't consider fitness/ going out too hard on the bike/ etc. Food (no pun intended) for thought

Exactly the same in my experience. The only time I've ever cramped was going harder than before or changing form and exhausting a weak muscle.
2014-03-12 10:27 AM

nashville, Tennessee
Originally posted by trishie

Originally posted by mchadcota2 What are your thoughts on nutrition and calories per hour during half/full ironman. I have done 2 halfs and cramped up on the run in both. I'm wondering if its from not enough calories. I'm 5'11 155 lbs and pretty lean. My strategy has always been 1 gel(100 cal) per hour on the bike, along with powerade as I need it. I heard second hand from a dietician/2 x ironwoman that in my full ironman in May I would probably need a gel about every 15 min. That sounds really excessive. Do I need to be taken in more than 1 gel/hr during these races?

I'm not saying it's NOT nutrition, but athletes often blame a poor run on not eating drinking/ enough (or too much) and don't consider fitness/ going out too hard on the bike/ etc. Food (no pun intended) for thought

You're exactly right. I'm sure I pushed way too hard on bike both times. Got too caught up in wanting to have a good bike split instead of good race time. If I had to bet I would definitely say that is the reason, but I was just curious about the nutrition.
2014-03-12 10:41 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

When I competed in a half iron distance race I used a coach who I believe knows some things about the science behind training, nutrition, etc.  Her rule of thumb was basically:

This worked for me, some will say that they simply can't take this much.  You definitely have to practice it.  How you get these calories is personal, of course. I prefer sport drink on the bike with some supplementary chews, and gels on the run.

My understanding is that cramping is usually due to overextending in fitness.  In a race you will go faster or maybe take on terrain that you're not used to.   Most (all?) studies do not confirm a relationship between cramping and lack of nutrition, a need for salt, etc.   I know this is VERY commonly stated, but I've never seen anything to back this up.

x2 - I take in ~250 calories per hour on the bike with no issues, but my tummy always gets funny on the run. In the past I've ended up choking down 3 GUs (total on the run - not a lot over 26 miles!) and a variety of fruit, candy, and sports drink from aid stations. 

2014-03-12 11:20 AM

User image

Exton, PA

I've heard your body can handle about 300 calories/hr but everybody is different.

Swim: chow down on any minnows you can catch along the way, drink whenever just remember I'm in front of you and warm my wetsuit at any given moment.

Bike:
I try to keep things simple, for a HIM I'm on the bike about 2 1/2 hrs. I take a gel every 10 miles and I make sure I drink every 10 minutes. So that's a gel every 30 minutes and I use Gatorade to drink. I try to use what ever the race will be handing out and the 1/2's I've done all used Gatorade. Drinking is the variable, 3 20 oz bottles will usually do it for me but last year at Eagleman the high temp did me in and I should have had 4(this slowed my run considerably)

Run:
Mostly drink alternating Gatorade and water, but will use gels and other items at the rest stop mainly in the first 12 of the run.

2014-03-12 11:44 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro
Burbs

Also, OP, if you love GUs, no reason not to continue them, but I found that for HIMs, IMs, I could tolerate more "real" food on the bike and ate that (mainly payday bars) to take a break from GUs (14 hours of GU is a lot of GU!). Running = GU only (for me).

Try out different foods/ drinks and see how it works out for you! It's very individual!

2014-03-12 12:45 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up.  The fueling rates that Emily mentions above are generally considered starting points to test during training.  Some people do best with less, some with more.

The bolded part is also noteworthy regarding most instances of cramping.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calories during race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Race nutrition (night before/day of/during race)

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1100 Posts: 11

2012-06-22 3:16 PM rjrankin83

calories burned during swim

Started by midessa7
Views: 2397 Posts: 9

2012-05-02 3:40 PM gsmacleod

How do I consume enough calories during long sessions

Started by sdanaher
Views: 684 Posts: 12

2009-07-05 10:11 PM tjtryon

Calories burned during cycling

Started by fendermh1027
Views: 4560 Posts: 14

2008-09-29 9:25 PM MDHillSlug

Not racing during a race

Started by mnewton
Views: 999 Posts: 10

2006-02-01 10:24 AM Nakima
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m

date : January 20, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Feeling bloated during training and racing is a common concern with endurance sports like triathlon. More salt or more water? Read more!
date : June 25, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?

date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.
date : February 4, 2009
author : mrakes1
Marni will show you how to make your own delicious and nutritious wrap that is light on calories but high in protein and nutrients.

date : April 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussion on nutrient proportions for endurace athletes, drinking during the swim, race calorie intake target, detoxing, replacement for vegetables, liquid meals and the best protein powder.
date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.

date : October 9, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 2
This article gives instruction on using all the nutrition log features to count your daily calories from foods eaten.