General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Howdy! I'm Brianne, and I'm jumping right in! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-12 10:59 AM

Subject: Howdy! I'm Brianne, and I'm jumping right in!
Howdy!

My name is Brianne. I'm a wife and mom from North Texas. I work full time as a county extension agent that counsels and guides people on health and nutrition, along with other healthy living topics. With 3 precious kids under the age of 5, I've packed on a few extra pounds from pregnancies and a hectic lifestyle. I decided I need to start practicing what I preach in regards to living a more active, healthy life. I deserve to feel good about myself, my husband deserves his hot wife back, and my kids deserve the healthiest mom they can get!

I'm the type of person that works better under pressure and deadlines, so I signed myself up for "My First Tri" in Irving on June 1st. Yes, 12 weeks away. And I don't do any physical activity regularly, so I know this is going to be very hard. I also know that if I didn't give myself a deadline, I would be on the "Tomorrow Diet" forever.

The "My First Tri" is a 300M swim, 7 mile bike, and a 5K. The running is definitely going to be the hardest part for me.

In regards to gear, what do I NEED? I've already got a road bike and recently purchased a decent pair of Under Armour running shoes. I've got the swimsuit, goggles, and swim cap. I know I need to get a bike helmet as well. What am I missing that I need or what are the "go-to" items that may be just above necessity?

I would welcome any tips, tricks, and encouragement from any of you veterans or "veteran-newbies".

Thanks!
Brianne

2014-03-12 12:32 PM
in reply to: bnlaggie

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Howdy! I'm Brianne, and I'm jumping right in!

Hi Brianne,

Good for you.  Not much else needed.  You might want to check out a tri-suit.  It is like a bathing suit with a bike pad in the seat.  The pad is thin enough that you can swim, bike and run in it.  Not absolutely necessary for a short race but they do sell them.  Helmets will be required for your race and are just a good idea for any riding in my opinion.  A watch with a stopwatch feature may be useful to you for training.  A bike trainer (stand to hold your bike fixed while your ride indoors) might be helpful if you need to get in a ride while taking care of kids.

You might want to check out the training plans on this site.  The 12 week couch-to-sprint plan might be a good guide to get you across the finish line. 

You are at a point in life that time is really tight.  Keep up the training as best you can even if life gets in the way.   Anything is better than nothing.

Welcome to BT.

TW  

2014-03-13 10:14 AM

User image

Good luck to you!  As Geezer said you don't really need anything else other then a helmet.  A tri suit will make things more comfy but you can absolutely get by in your first race without one.

If you have never attended a triathlon try to find one before your first race that you can go and watch.  You will be able to see how people set up their transition area and how that part of the race works.  There's videos you can find on youtube on how to set up your spot and how to handle the transitions.  You'll probably have a lot on your mind at your first race.  Knowing how the race works from start to finish will make your day all that more enjoyable.

2014-04-01 12:57 PM

Hey Brianne!!! Im looking for a group of people to chat with in Texas. I just moved from north texas to the Hill country. Great to just JUMP IN.
2014-04-01 1:01 PM

Things you may need...

Summer races you need to prepare for the heat. Even if its a 7:00 race.

A race belt
Sunscreen
Towel
A good pair of socks
Energy Gels (start working on race nutrition)
running hat
Bike shorts
If you want to put clips on your bike (bike shoes, pedals) but for your first tri. really just keep it simple

2014-04-02 9:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Good for you. You already have the majority of the equipment. Just go and pick up a helmet, and some tri shorts.

Now go and crush it!

Edited by my1sttrirace 2014-04-02 9:49 AM

2014-04-02 10:12 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
Hi Brianne!

Honestly, I would just get a helmet and go have a great time! Once you become hooked on tri's there will be plenty of time to buy new things... but for now, just go have a great time!
2014-04-04 8:31 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

What do you NEED?  

You need a safe bicycle and helmet, running shoes, and something you can wear to swim then bike then run.  Everything else helps the day go better or faster.  

What to wear?  Try running with your swimsuit.  Does it offer enough support?  Not chafe?  If so, try riding in it.  No chafe?  (Now if you want, you can try all of this wearing your swimsuit under other clothes.)  If this is all a go, try these again while your swimsuit is wet.  If the swimsuit doesn't work for cycling or running, you'll want to look at tri-suits or tri-shorts and a top.  (Some women wear just a sports bra instead of a special top.)  

Safe bike would be one that has front and back brakes and the bar-ends plugged. and no cracks in the frame or components.  

Next I'd add goggles and sunglasses (sunglasses are really a safety item for the bike, you don't want to get dust or a bug in your eye.  

For the bike, a patch kit, spare tube, frame pump or CO2 inflator would be good to have and to have experience using them prior to the race.  

For the run, socks (unless you run without socks regularly).  

A race belt is an elastic band that you attach your race number to after you get out of the water or off the bike (depends on whether the race requires you to wear the number on the bike or not).  You can make one out of $2 worth of 1" elastic, or pin the number to your shirt which you put on in the transition area.  

The race will provide race numbers and a swim cap.  

I'd also bring a change of clothes for after the race.  

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Howdy! I'm Brianne, and I'm jumping right in! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello - I'm jumping in

Started by Vejita-sama
Views: 420 Posts: 3

2013-05-02 11:10 AM popsracer

I'm jumping in...

Started by glorydays
Views: 827 Posts: 6

2008-01-07 2:16 PM glorydays

I'm crazy, but I'm gonna do it anyway

Started by wurkit_gurl
Views: 884 Posts: 7

2007-05-21 11:25 PM calitriguy

Hi, I'm Sharon...and I'm a Tri Addict

Started by elektra
Views: 1096 Posts: 10

2006-12-15 10:44 AM elektra

I'm here and I'm New!

Started by JKat
Views: 921 Posts: 3

2005-05-27 12:56 PM imnotjoking
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.