General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I give up... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-12 2:39 PM

User image

Subject: I give up...
I give up on the idea that anyone really knows exactly what the healthiest diet really looks like.

- Don't eat meat / eat meat, but only lean meats and no red meat
- Don't eat dairy / eat dairy
- Don't eat grains, even whole grains / grains are a great source of carbs, eat them
- Gluten is the devil
- Soy is a good source of non-meat protein / Soy is mainly genetically engineered and should never be eaten
- Eats lots of fruit and vegetables! Finally something we all agree on, except a lot of fruits and veggies and treated with pesticides, so only eat fruits and veggies from local farmers.

After all things considering, I guess I land on the idea that I'm a flexitarian. I want to eat a plant based whole food diet, that occasionally includes lean meats. And beer.

Carry on.

2014-03-12 3:17 PM
in reply to: austiry

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: I give up...

Why do you give up? Sounds like you have a solid plan and are doing what's best for you. Great!

2014-03-19 8:50 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it....stress isn't healthy, either. I'd aim to eat a variety of foods, and emphasize real, whole foods rather than processed junk. You can't go wrong with that. My guess is that what works best varies from person to person. Some people may feel better without eating meat; other may find that hard to tolerate for whatever reason. Likewise, there are plenty of lactose intolerant people who are better off without dairy. Some people have gluten sensitivity or process carbs poorly and do better with minimizing grains. Others don't have those issues and do better with a more varied diet. I personally do better with a diet that's higher in healthy fats that a lot of athletes I know (mainly since I'm not a big meat eater and don't like sweets--I need to get the calories from somewhere and don't want to spend all day eating to get them!) Vegetarianism hasn't worked well for me either. I've just come to realize that a diet with very minimal dairy and refined carbs, a modest amount of whole grains and meat/fish, and plenty of fruits and veggies makes me feel best; it might not work well for others.

Within some basic parameters (eating a good variety of foods, plenty of fruits and veggies, enough calories to support your training, sufficient protein, etc.) you can experiment and see what makes you feel and perform best.
2014-03-19 8:59 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Hot Runner I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it....stress isn't healthy, either. I'd aim to eat a variety of foods, and emphasize real, whole foods rather than processed junk. You can't go wrong with that. My guess is that what works best varies from person to person. Some people may feel better without eating meat; other may find that hard to tolerate for whatever reason. Likewise, there are plenty of lactose intolerant people who are better off without dairy. Some people have gluten sensitivity or process carbs poorly and do better with minimizing grains. Others don't have those issues and do better with a more varied diet. I personally do better with a diet that's higher in healthy fats that a lot of athletes I know (mainly since I'm not a big meat eater and don't like sweets--I need to get the calories from somewhere and don't want to spend all day eating to get them!) Vegetarianism hasn't worked well for me either. I've just come to realize that a diet with very minimal dairy and refined carbs, a modest amount of whole grains and meat/fish, and plenty of fruits and veggies makes me feel best; it might not work well for others. Within some basic parameters (eating a good variety of foods, plenty of fruits and veggies, enough calories to support your training, sufficient protein, etc.) you can experiment and see what makes you feel and perform best.

Well said.

I have wanted to 'give up' before as well.  I tried certain types of diets with no luck.  I also try to focus on real foods and have a variety of them as well.  I have found what works with my system and what has not.  I can't do milk well, so I cut that out.  This was hard because I LOVE milk but my GI is much happier because of it.  I can do cheese, and yoghurt.

I eat lots of carbs, but I am always on the go - It works for me when I'm in normal exercise mode avg 10/hr week, on taper weeks or weeks when I don't have the time I cut back a bit otherwise I start to feel bloated (water retention, I'm sure)

The key is finding out what works for you.  I think all those diets out there have some merit to them, but they wont work for everyone.  Find out what works for you by trial and error and stick with it.  Again, I think the key is to eating well, buy good high quality food.  Heck, even though its more expensive I find it almost cheaper.  I am satisfied when i eat well and tend not to over eat.

2014-03-25 8:57 PM
in reply to: austiry

User image

Richland, Washington
Go read "Finding Ultra" by Rich Roll.

I've been vegan for a few years, I don't eat soy, I only buy organic, and I feel great.

At the end of the day, it's your body, do what you want.

Here's a secret though... stop looking for a diet, and start looking for a lifestyle. Diets fail, lifestyles don't.
2014-05-24 5:11 PM
in reply to: Swimaway

Scottsdale, AZ
Eat whole, unprocessed foods with as few ingredients as possible. Organic when you can, local when you can, but conventionally grown fruits and veges still beat a Healthy Choice dinner!

And +1 on not following a diet...just saying you are on a diet causes you to eat more and obsess (at least for me).

2014-08-06 11:40 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

There is no one diet, so you are spot on.

I follow a Paleo diet, because I've had great results on it, but I also have sports drinks on long runs. Because I've had great results on it. My wife is Paleo + diary, because she has had great results on it. A very close friend of mine is Vegan, because he has had great results on it!

Eating grains is not going to change (significantly) how long you live. Hell, people smoke a pack a day and live to 100. It MAY change the quality of your life though. So eat what makes you feel and preform well based on YOUR experience.

We're all different....
2014-08-15 11:50 PM
in reply to: #4964244

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Could not agree more that it shouldn't be viewed as a diet but rather a lifestyle change! As we are all little snowflakes, we all have our own nutritional needs. It's not something that can happen overnight per se but in time you can find a healthy lifestyle and still enjoy indulgences. This is something I have been working on all year, it can get difficult at times, but with the right attitude and support system it can be maintained. Best of luck!
2014-09-06 10:03 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

If you are not gluten-sensitive, why you should avoid it? Or, you can just try and if you feel better that's it. I eat a lot of carbs, mainly whole-grain bread because it makes my stomach feel really well.

Fruits - we all agree? Fructose malabsorption is common and if you have it and eat fruits you may have constant bloating and diarrhea. I don't have FM but I always found fruits a bit heavy for the stomach.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I give up... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Give Me Your Best Juicer Recommendation

Started by Triguy67
Views: 3022 Posts: 12

2013-03-22 8:31 AM jlruhnke

giving up sugar - help! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by trigal38
Views: 12921 Posts: 57

2011-11-04 9:14 PM wenceslasz

any nutritionists out there who wanna give free advice

Started by mike hall
Views: 942 Posts: 4

2007-05-11 2:06 PM triseattle

Okay, give it to me...

Started by NightOwl
Views: 874 Posts: 2

2007-02-26 9:39 AM VeganMan

People who give you (unsolicited) feedback....

Started by Tania
Views: 2155 Posts: 22

2005-03-23 9:48 AM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : October 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Many of us race, and some race a lot, but when was the last time you gave something back to the sport of triathlon?