BT Development New Products and Sales! » Wearable Lactate Threshold Tester!!! Feedback please!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-12 7:01 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: Wearable Lactate Threshold Tester!!! Feedback please!!!

2014-03-13 8:37 AM
in reply to: strykergt

Spring/Woodlands Area
Subject: RE: Wearable Lactate Threshold Tester!!! Feedback please!!!
Looks good in theory. I'm considering backing them on Kickstarter.
IF it works as indicated, it could be awesome. Lactate testing now is really not that great.
I'm a little curious about the implications of wearing compression on just 1 leg vs. 2.
Scientific basis (from what I've read) is sound. If this eventually comes to production, I would want to buy some for my lab.
2014-03-14 12:19 PM
in reply to: apglave

I want to be cognizant of BT's forum rules and not "market" our product at all; however, I'm happy to answer any questions people have about how the sensor measures lactate threshold non-invasively, how we envision it benefiting endurance athletes, etc.

Page - You'll have to forgive me in the hoopala of our Kickstarter launch if I've missed (or previously answered) your question, but here's the gist: It's 100% up to the discretion of the athlete on whether or not they'd like to have a compression sleeve for their alternate leg. It won't have any effect on the device's ability to measure your bio signals.

The compression sleeve is primarily the apparatus used to hold BSX Insight in place so that it can get the most accurate LT reading during your assessment run and subsequent training and racing activity.

We’re well aware that some people don’t love compression sleeves for any number of reasons and we’re working with our fabric partners on multiple solutions, including smaller, less invasive sleeves.

Many athletes have asked, “How should I wear the sleeve? Does it matter if I switch legs or always keep it on the same?”

We'd recommend either of the following: 1) wearing all the time on one leg really doesn't matter, you won't notice a difference, 2) rotate legs if you'd like to, or 3) in response to the many questions we've also developed a matching pair of sleeves so you always get the support of both legs and can rotate the device if you'd like.
2014-03-14 2:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Ryan @ BSX

I'm happy to answer any questions people have about how the sensor measures lactate threshold non-invasively, how we envision it benefiting endurance athletes, etc.

Ryan

I am going to take you up on your offer, in a lay mans terms how does the BSX measures the LT?? is it heart rate based??

Lastly ETA of product release??

I am all hopes for a great Launch of your product!!!!

Cheers!!!

Carl

Edited by strykergt 2014-03-14 2:20 PM
2014-03-14 2:43 PM
in reply to: strykergt

Originally posted by strykergt

I'm happy to answer any questions people have about how the sensor measures lactate threshold non-invasively, how we envision it benefiting endurance athletes, etc.

Ryan

I am going to take you up on your offer, in a lay mans terms how does the BSX measures the LT?? is it heart rate based??

Cheers!!!

Carl

Carl,

Thanks for your question.

The most *lay* answer I can give you is that we use LEDs to shine an invisible light inside your calf muscle during exercise. The signal of light is altered as it returns back to the sensor. This process creates a unique signal profile (similar to a fingerprint) that contains information about your local metabolic activity.

This profile is then processed by embedded BSX algorithms to analyze identifiable signal features which exist within the profile. When combined together, these are used to accurately generate a lactate threshold curve. Real-time monitoring of this curve allows the athlete to always know where they are along that curve and their proximity to crucial training thresholds.

There's much more scientific walk through on our FAQ questions page of our Kickstarter.

ETA for generation 1 devices for Kickstarter backers (and others) is late Fall 2014.

Hope that helps clarify!
2014-03-14 3:28 PM
in reply to: Ryan @ BSX

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by strykergt

Ryan

Cheers!!!

Carl

Carl,

Thanks for your question.

The most *lay* answer I can give you is that we use LEDs to shine an invisible light inside your calf muscle during exercise. The signal of light is altered as it returns back to the sensor. This process creates a unique signal profile (similar to a fingerprint) that contains information about your local metabolic activity.

This profile is then processed by embedded BSX algorithms to analyze identifiable signal features which exist within the profile. When combined together, these are used to accurately generate a lactate threshold curve. Real-time monitoring of this curve allows the athlete to always know where they are along that curve and their proximity to crucial training thresholds.

There's much more scientific walk through on our FAQ questions page of our Kickstarter.

ETA for generation 1 devices for Kickstarter backers (and others) is late Fall 2014.

Hope that helps clarify!

Ryan

One last thing? can the BSX be combined with a Powermeter or a Heart Rate monitor to determine LTP and LTHR ?

I would then be excited this fall 2014!!!

Cheers

Carl!!

2014-03-14 4:30 PM
in reply to: Ryan @ BSX

Spring/Woodlands Area
You answered on Kickstarter. I'm just nerding out on it. I specifically wonder about the compression on 1 v. 2 because of wearing an ACL brace that resulted in my musculature adapting to the shape of the brace. It shouldn't be an issue, and the matching set/option to buy a pair should really take care of it.

I'm guessing you've done the interlimb reliability testing necessary, so switching limbs shouldn't be an issue. And the weight of the device shouldn't be enough to throw the mechanics off, especially with the sensor being fairly close to the joint.

It's really just a cool project. I hope you all are also considering branching out into the possibilities of using this as a medical device.
New Thread
BT Development New Products and Sales! » Wearable Lactate Threshold Tester!!! Feedback please!!! Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : March 4, 2010
comments : 0
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.
date : December 20, 2009
Discussions on lactate threshold testing and when to do LT workouts, threshold and tempo workouts, and time off after a full Ironman.

date : September 8, 2007
Discussions on acclimating to the heat on race day, race caloric intake, and how lactate threshold (LT) relates to heart rate zones with changes in fitness.
date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.

date : October 30, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By focusing on your limiters during the off-season you can accrue your highest rate of return for training time invested and set yourself up well for next season.
date : September 3, 2005
Can you tell me how my LT and V02 max have not decreased after 8 months of absolutely no speedwork? I did very minimal running up until February 2005.

date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.