General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim kick Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-10-15 5:26 PM
in reply to: jthorud

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: swim kick
I can't speak for JohnnyO but my point had to do with time. If all I did was swim, then I'd absolutely do all that stuff because you'd reach a point of diminishing returns on straight freestyle and the returns you'd get on the other stuff would outweigh them. However, if you're only getting in the pool 5,000-6,000 meters a week, I personally feel that all that time needs to go to freestyle. Also, I always hated that other stuff, so all I need is an excuse.

I'm still seeing strong gains doing it that way, and won't worry about fixing it till it breaks. Like I said originally, this was specific for me and "probably" not for anyone else, nor do I think it's particularly good advice. It works for me because I'm getting back the muscle memory from years of training.

2014-10-15 5:28 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

New user
penticton
if I had swimmers doing 8-9 X 5km practice each week..yes, we would do 4 strokes

when I have triathlete doing 2-3 practice of 2000-3000m at best.....I focus on what matter.

when I have ITU world cup front pack guys doing around 20-25km a week....we focus on freestyle, brett Sutton focus on freestyle, Darren smith, siri lindley, joel filliol....

but keep naming people from other sport that have different reality and goal... it s very relevant to the conversation.

2014-10-15 5:38 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

New user
penticton
As I said, my advice are for adult onset swimmer or even junior with very limited time. If you want to learn to swim...keep it simple.

Lets take one of the athlete I work with....Jeff symonds, 3rd at world 70.3 Pro, 2nd at IMC, winner of challenge Penticton, Great white north etc.

This year, with me, he asnt done a single other stroke but freesytle. and this year, he made every front pack for his first time. always at the front.

he isn't a natural or kid swimmer but borderline adult onset. We work on getting him in the front group...and the rest of the focus goes with his other coach to running 2:40 marathon off the bike....

we focus on what matter.

Another of my athlete: Tom Evans...... perhaps our fastest swimmer in triathlon in canada.... I did give him 100m backstroke on Tuesday cool down. Seems like he as been doing ok with freestyle approach, a full time dentist job and 4 or 5 pro ironman win....a few 46min ironman swims...

2014-10-15 5:39 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

New user
penticton
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by jonnyo
there is a reason runners don't need to lean to dance

Sorry man, you are wrong on this one

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/lolo-jones-makes-dancing-...

you got me!
2014-10-15 6:00 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Pro

JonnyO - I agree with your points on time, etc. in your follow up posts.  Your blanket statement that there was no benefit to fast freestyle in learning and training the other strokes is just wrong.  I think the best advice I got when I was vetting coaches for a beginner who showed a lot of promise was "get a swim coach for swimming, a cycling coach for the bike, and a running coach for the run...then find a good triathlon coach to put the race together and oversee the volume of the work."  I took that advice and it has been worth absolute gold.  I realize that not everyone has access to the type of coaching I found, but I've spent quite a bit of time around "triathlon coaches"......I haven't found one yet that I would trust with training each discipline specifically, or any of them actually.  Some are fabulous at putting together a program and overseeing the work......but the specific training knowledge to be fast in each discipline falls off pretty quickly.

2014-10-15 6:17 PM

User image

New user
penticton
can you point me to the blanket statement by quoting it?

because my first post clearly said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you have a kid or adult that can swim 5-6X a week..sure, do some back/fly/breast. But as most triathlete swim perhaps 2000-3000m 2 or 3 times a week....or less, it s a wise idea to stick to freestyle to get the most out of them.

it s a matter of specificity and the best bang for your bucks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now, from there, if you lost my train of thought......not my fault i know you like to argue!!!

triathlon coach were ''good enought'' for the browlees at the olympics....frodo, craig alexander, simon whitfield, emma snowsill, paula findley, chrissie, greg bennett, gomez, etc ..... i would think you didnt look too much when youo were shopping

all in fun! i m out to the pool now to coach triathlete so we can hopefully swim fast this summer!!

2014-10-15 6:33 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jonnyo can you point me to the blanket statement by quoting it? because my first post clearly said: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- if you have a kid or adult that can swim 5-6X a week..sure, do some back/fly/breast. But as most triathlete swim perhaps 2000-3000m 2 or 3 times a week....or less, it s a wise idea to stick to freestyle to get the most out of them. it s a matter of specificity and the best bang for your bucks. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- now, from there, if you lost my train of thought......not my fault i know you like to argue!!! triathlon coach were ''good enought'' for the browlees at the olympics....frodo, craig alexander, simon whitfield, emma snowsill, paula findley, chrissie, greg bennett, gomez, etc ..... i would think you didnt look too much when youo were shopping all in fun! i m out to the pool now to coach triathlete so we can hopefully swim fast this summer!!

Jonny - you think the brownlees cut their swimming, biking, and running teeth with triathlon coaches?  Really?

And your quote of your post is a bit disingenuous.....here's the part you left out: LOL

"one word for you..... Specificity

don't get fool by the old ''swimming myth'' you been raise with. Science tells us clearly what matter in performance. 

there is a reason runners don't need to lean to dance or run backword to run fast....they stick to specificity and run"

I don't mind arguing, but I'd rather discuss.....you guys just don't like anyone disagreeing with you.   I'm OK with that.....I'm happy with the results I've seen from the expertise I've paid for.

2014-10-15 7:33 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by Left Brain

JonnyO - I agree with your points on time, etc. in your follow up posts.  Your blanket statement that there was no benefit to fast freestyle in learning and training the other strokes is just wrong.  I think the best advice I got when I was vetting coaches for a beginner who showed a lot of promise was "get a swim coach for swimming, a cycling coach for the bike, and a running coach for the run...then find a good triathlon coach to put the race together and oversee the volume of the work."  I took that advice and it has been worth absolute gold.  I realize that not everyone has access to the type of coaching I found, but I've spent quite a bit of time around "triathlon coaches"......I haven't found one yet that I would trust with training each discipline specifically, or any of them actually.  Some are fabulous at putting together a program and overseeing the work......but the specific training knowledge to be fast in each discipline falls off pretty quickly.

While I'm glad that is working for jr, I've seen it go wrong more times than I've seen it go right. Perhaps it is because we're from a small area (<1000000) but when we've had triathletes (who want to be triathletes) work with swim, cycle and run coaches, there is almost always pressure for them to become single sport athletes. Especially cycling and running as we tend to have more swimmers dabble in and occasionally get hooked by triathlons but we've had a few athletes who have been pressured to put more emphasis on swimming than they really wanted. We've also had a few cases where athletes felt that when they stuck to their desire to be a triathlete, that the interest the single sport coach shower in them decreased.

We have a few swim coaches here who encourage their swimmers to do triathlon in the summer and several provincial team members have come from swim teams. We also have sent a few promising athletes to swim teams for the winter for two main reasons - we don't have enough youth and junior triathletes to have six plus 90 minute sessions each week and our top performers tend to be swimming just behind the best swimmers so they work harder chasing than they would leading a lane.

For the bike and run, the vast majority of coaching is done my triathlon coaches with an occasional athlete working with a coach on their own or we may bring in a coach for a camp. Again, there may be a benefit to training with faster athletes but if a triathlon coach cannot "be on deck" and provide coaching in all three sports, they are quite limited as a coach.

Shane
2014-10-15 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4965119

User image

Kenmore, Washington
I learned to swim freestyle about 1.5 years ago and have struggled with my kick until very recently, when things just clicked and I took a full minute off my 100y kick w/ board PR in one swim (did it in 2:15). It just happened and felt awesome. Afterwards I felt an immediate improvement in my freestyle, where rotating felt effortless. Definitely worth the effort.
2014-10-15 8:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gsmacleod

While I'm glad that is working for jr, I've seen it go wrong more times than I've seen it go right. Perhaps it is because we're from a small area (<1000000) but when we've had triathletes (who want to be triathletes) work with swim, cycle and run coaches, there is almost always pressure for them to become single sport athletes. Especially cycling and running as we tend to have more swimmers dabble in and occasionally get hooked by triathlons but we've had a few athletes who have been pressured to put more emphasis on swimming than they really wanted. We've also had a few cases where athletes felt that when they stuck to their desire to be a triathlete, that the interest the single sport coach shower in them decreased. We have a few swim coaches here who encourage their swimmers to do triathlon in the summer and several provincial team members have come from swim teams. We also have sent a few promising athletes to swim teams for the winter for two main reasons - we don't have enough youth and junior triathletes to have six plus 90 minute sessions each week and our top performers tend to be swimming just behind the best swimmers so they work harder chasing than they would leading a lane. For the bike and run, the vast majority of coaching is done my triathlon coaches with an occasional athlete working with a coach on their own or we may bring in a coach for a camp. Again, there may be a benefit to training with faster athletes but if a triathlon coach cannot "be on deck" and provide coaching in all three sports, they are quite limited as a coach. Shane

You know what Shane, each one of his coaches wants him to specialize......he just won't have anything to do with it, and luckily, each of his coaches is OK with communicating with his triathlon coach, who is not in our area.  He's really a good kid, so the people that work with him want him to succeed......it's really been a blessing that it has gone so smoothly

The next few years are going to be very interesting for him.  He is being recruited to run XC and track in college....and then triathlon as he has known it will change dramatically, if that's the route he chooses.  The next two years in Jrs. will probably tell all as far as his immediate future in the sport goes.  He'll have some options if he keeps working, but his love is truly triathlon.  He doesn't want to be a runner, or a swimmer, or a cyclist only.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-15 8:22 PM
2014-10-15 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
  He is being recruited to run XC and track in college....and then triathlon as he has known it will change dramatically, if that's the route he chooses.  The next two years in Jrs. will probably tell all as far as his immediate future in the sport goes.  He'll have some options if he keeps working, but his love is truly triathlon.  He doesn't want to be a runner, or a swimmer, or a cyclist only.

Read this
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our-communities/sports/Triathlete-...

2014-10-15 9:01 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Left Brain   He is being recruited to run XC and track in college....and then triathlon as he has known it will change dramatically, if that's the route he chooses.  The next two years in Jrs. will probably tell all as far as his immediate future in the sport goes.  He'll have some options if he keeps working, but his love is truly triathlon.  He doesn't want to be a runner, or a swimmer, or a cyclist only.
Read this http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our-communities/sports/Triathlete-...

I know about her...amazing talent. 

I just don't know how any of this will go for him in the future.  This is not something we even knew he could do 3 years ago....it just kind of happened. He has dreams, I'm fortunate to be in a position to support that.  That's all.  His future is not nearly so clear for me.....we'll just see how it goes. He drives the bus....right now it's all just fun......the hard decisions are coming for him. All I can do is find good people for him to talk with to get good advice from.  I don't want him to end up chasing a dream he can't get to.....but so far he's still in the game.  He has been very patient with his progress....I hope he carries that with him.

There have been some folks on this board who were tremendously helpful when I first got on this board and didn't know anything about youth triathlon or how to go about finding coaches, etc.  Mike Ricci, Don (TriMyBest), and Shane, among others,  had some great words of wisdom.  It's been a great time for my son and me.....I'll be sad to see it end in a couple of years when he heads out on his own.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-15 9:10 PM
2014-10-16 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kicking is part of swimming. Should it be the bulk of your main set when you're only swimming 2000-3000m x 2 per week? No. Should you include a short kick set in each workout? Probably. I don't understand how doing 8 x 25 all out kick or 6 x 50 all out kick is taking away from tri training in the pool? It only helps.
2014-10-16 7:42 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jarvy01 Kicking is part of swimming. Should it be the bulk of your main set when you're only swimming 2000-3000m x 2 per week? No. Should you include a short kick set in each workout? Probably. I don't understand how doing 8 x 25 all out kick or 6 x 50 all out kick is taking away from tri training in the pool? It only helps.

Tacking on those 200-300 kicksets to a 2,000 swim workout would help. Time limited people would have to replace some of that 2,000 to fit it in. Also consider that kicking is slower than swimming for many so the total is now more likely 1700-1800. It may or may not be as helpful.

2014-10-16 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

So there's one guy on this thread that has won (or almost won) an IM or two and has coached a bunch of folks to the same.  And weekend warrior types are arguing with him.

F'n classic!

2014-10-16 8:02 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

So there's one guy on this thread that has won (or almost won) an IM or two and has coached a bunch of folks to the same.  And weekend warrior types are arguing with him.

F'n classic!

GMAN, you beat me to it. JonnyO, thanks a million for all your contributions here. And that goes for all the other coaches that have have deep experience coaching competitive and successful adult age-group athletes. Not exactly sure how you put up with the chatter, but the insight you freely give from your actual experience is pure gold.

2014-10-16 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

F'n classic!

Thanks for saying it.

I think a lot of people don't know how accomplished an athlete and coach Jonnyo is.

everyone should watch his "top of the week" videos.

2014-10-16 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

F'n classic!

It's a forum. People debate issues related to sport. The usefulness of a kick focus is a heavily debated topic. I would guess there are differing opinions among triathlon coaches as well. A coach responds to this thread and everyone else is supposed to shut the f up? Classic.
2014-10-16 8:45 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Stuartap Take this advice with the caveat that most people will disagree with me but this worked great for me. I was a swimmer in HS & college and this was the way we always did kick drills. More accurately, the only way the freestyle swimmers ever did kick drills. Instead of using a kick board do your drills on your back with your hand extended fully over your head. Most people find it easier if they lock their thumbs. The rationale behind this is on your back the kick tends to be much shorter. Dropping your legs while on your back will fell very unnatural. You will tend to keep your legs higher and drive the feet upward in shorter more powerful kicks. I have posted this suggestion before and I usually get a lot of negative comments, generally from people who have never tried it. My suggestion is give it a try and see if it works for you. If it does great. if not, you wasted a few hundred yards of swimming. Good luck.

Lots of good discussion on freestyle only vs. mixing in other swim disciplines, however I'm still wondering about my initial question when I revived this thread.

That being, should my pull sets be very close in pace to my regular freestyle?  If not, what should I work on to fix my leg posture in the water as I'm guessing I'm "dragging" etc...

I'm also interested in better understanding the above drill if I choose to continue with kick drills.

1)  On my back with my arms extended straight (you mention hand), thumbs locked (in a pointing position)?  

2)  Do you recommend doing shorter sets of these, similar to the short kickboard set distances?

I'm in the category of adult onset swimmer, limited time and therefore likely to mainly do freestyle in the pool...

Thanks.

2014-10-16 8:57 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jarvy01

F'n classic!

It's a forum. People debate issues related to sport. The usefulness of a kick focus is a heavily debated topic. I would guess there are differing opinions among triathlon coaches as well. A coach responds to this thread and everyone else is supposed to shut the f up? Classic.

I always find that funny too.   

I say question everything.....that's the easiest way to get to the meat of things. I don't worry about people getting their feathers ruffled or feeling like I'm not respecting their authority, or coachiness      on whatever issue is at hand......there are a lot of coaches out there, and a lot of opinions. You won't get the good stuff by nodding your head and keeping quiet.  You get the good stuff when you say, "wait a minute, I've seen this, or I've been taught that, or so and so says your wrong".  Coaches and other "experts" aren't always good at giving the "why", they just like you to do ....but if you push a bit , you either get the good stuff or they get mad at you.  Eaither way, you learn something about the sport and the coach.

2014-10-16 9:02 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Originally posted by simpsonbo I knew many swimmers who had top events in the same distance over 2 or 3 strokes.... ie 100 Fly/Bk/Fr or 200 Fly/Free. Hell Fly was my top stroke maybe I should have skipped all the distance free training Maybe what Jonny is saying might hold water with some adult onset swimmers with limited time. Maybe I should have a Vasa showdown with one of his athletes who only trains free.

Are you a vasa user?

2014-10-16 9:05 AM

Master
Northern IL

It's not impossible to bring out the "good stuff" without turning everything into an argument. Plenty have had differing opinions without doing so.

2014-10-16 9:20 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by Stuartap Take this advice with the caveat that most people will disagree with me but this worked great for me. I was a swimmer in HS & college and this was the way we always did kick drills. More accurately, the only way the freestyle swimmers ever did kick drills. Instead of using a kick board do your drills on your back with your hand extended fully over your head. Most people find it easier if they lock their thumbs. The rationale behind this is on your back the kick tends to be much shorter. Dropping your legs while on your back will fell very unnatural. You will tend to keep your legs higher and drive the feet upward in shorter more powerful kicks. I have posted this suggestion before and I usually get a lot of negative comments, generally from people who have never tried it. My suggestion is give it a try and see if it works for you. If it does great. if not, you wasted a few hundred yards of swimming. Good luck.

Lots of good discussion on freestyle only vs. mixing in other swim disciplines, however I'm still wondering about my initial question when I revived this thread.

That being, should my pull sets be very close in pace to my regular freestyle?  If not, what should I work on to fix my leg posture in the water as I'm guessing I'm "dragging" etc...

I'm also interested in better understanding the above drill if I choose to continue with kick drills.

1)  On my back with my arms extended straight (you mention hand), thumbs locked (in a pointing position)?  

2)  Do you recommend doing shorter sets of these, similar to the short kickboard set distances?

I'm in the category of adult onset swimmer, limited time and therefore likely to mainly do freestyle in the pool...

Thanks.

Why are you bringing up kicking on thread about coaching technique??

Just kidding....

I would just ask what your driver is. It sounds like this question was prompted by the difference in pace between your freestyle and kicking...but to me, that's not a good metric to take action on. Are your satisfied with your overall times? Have you had diminishing returns in the pool that you are trying to turn around? If your current workout is working, then I wouldn't worry about the relative difference between your kick times and your freestyle times. In a triathlon, your freestyle time is all that matters.
2014-10-16 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by TriMike

Thanks.

Why are you bringing up kicking on thread about coaching technique?? Just kidding.... I would just ask what your driver is. It sounds like this question was prompted by the difference in pace between your freestyle and kicking...but to me, that's not a good metric to take action on. Are your satisfied with your overall times? Have you had diminishing returns in the pool that you are trying to turn around? If your current workout is working, then I wouldn't worry about the relative difference between your kick times and your freestyle times. In a triathlon, your freestyle time is all that matters.

No, actually my initial post started out explaining I do drills within sets that involve kicking and pulling... Since I time everything, I've noticed when I do pull drills those times are close to my freestyle time and I'm wondering if this is normal or not...If not, then that tells me my posture must somehow be causing my legs to drag (during freestyle)... OR I'm not kicking quite hard enough to "plane out"???

Edited by TriMike 2014-10-16 9:35 AM
2014-10-16 10:10 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

It's not impossible to bring out the "good stuff" without turning everything into an argument. Plenty have had differing opinions without doing so.

I think that's right on the money and very easy to accomplish in person.  I have dealings with quite a few people in the triathlon world....there are times when I ask a lot of questions and times when I disagree and there is a discussion....it always goes well.  On these boards, as soon as you disagree with someone it's considered an argument......discussions never go like they do in person and things get taken out of context, there is no chance to clarify before the next person goes off on a tangent, and on and on. 

In that light, I just don't worry about it.  It's not specific to this board or triathlon boards....it happens on every message board.  In another lifetime I ran a hunting and fishing board with a couple of other guys......plenty of "arguments"....then we'd have get-togethers and the discussions would be fantastic.  There was really no difference in the context of the discussion, but you could see expressions on other people's faces, hear their voice inflection, see them smile, etc so nobody ever considered it an argument and lots of learning took place.

I think we all tend to read posts with our own voices, and that frequently clouds what someone else is trying to express.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim kick Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

swim kick advice needed - Please!

Started by cwiehle
Views: 995 Posts: 8

2006-07-14 12:21 PM cwiehle

Another swim kick post

Started by altmizzle
Views: 971 Posts: 3

2005-01-19 11:34 PM altmizzle

Your Swim Kick...

Started by Hudnick
Views: 942 Posts: 6

2005-01-19 6:31 PM ChuckyFinster

swim kicking question

Started by auto208562
Views: 1056 Posts: 11

2005-01-04 1:35 PM kepola

First Tri Swim Kicked My $#@!^

Started by soupaman
Views: 1514 Posts: 17

2004-06-04 6:47 PM soupaman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 12, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
A strong kick matched with the opposing hand's entry can give your swim a boost

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Video of the six/three kick swim drill
date : December 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on further swim improvements, spicing up endurance swims, kicking for triathlon, pull buoy usage, not moving while kicking and rest intervals for fast/short sets.

date : June 17, 2008
It seems that if I swim that slow I begin to sink and I have to either kick or pull harder to compensate while my heart-rate starts going up. I find myself kicking too hard trying to keep afloat.
date : November 28, 2007
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : November 28, 2004
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.