General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim kick Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-03-14 9:36 AM

Subject: swim kick
My kick sets are drastically slower than my regular swim sets. I know my kick is by far my week aspect of my swim. Any suggestions on how you sped up your kick sets other than just doing more of it. I don't mind kicking and am doing a lot more of it lately but just curious if there is something that you guys discovered that would help? I've been trying to keep the legs up towards the surface and the feet more flexed. Thanks in advance!

2014-03-14 10:10 AM
in reply to: jthorud

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: swim kick

The obviously answer is to work on improving your technique.  Hard to offer any specific advice without actually seeing what you're doing. Do you have someone knowledgeable you can ask to take a look at your kick for feedback?  That or post a video here for the swim experts to look at?

Mark

2014-03-14 11:20 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Your kick alone will always be slower then your swim.

What kind of times are we talking about? Are you kicking 100yards in 2min? 3 min? 4 min?

In the end to kick faster you have to kick more and make sure you technique is correct.
2014-03-14 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Kick is always slower, the kick is not a very efficient for propulsion. I don't know how drastically slower your kick is, but I swim 100m regular freestyle in 1:20, and 50m kick in 1:15.

I do short kick sets but kick never make up the bulk of my workout. maybe 1/10th of my workout is devoted to kicking. You can use fins to build strength and spend less time on your kick set.

BR
2014-03-14 7:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
penticton
let me ask you; why do you want to develop strength for kicking? do you think strength is a limiter that keep you from improving?

Edited by jonnyo 2014-03-14 7:59 PM
2014-03-14 9:01 PM

I haven't done a kick set once this year. But if I did, I'd use fins.

Edited by ziggie204 2014-03-14 9:02 PM

2014-03-14 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Take this advice with the caveat that most people will disagree with me but this worked great for me. I was a swimmer in HS & college and this was the way we always did kick drills. More accurately, the only way the freestyle swimmers ever did kick drills.

Instead of using a kick board do your drills on your back with your hand extended fully over your head. Most people find it easier if they lock their thumbs. The rationale behind this is on your back the kick tends to be much shorter. Dropping your legs while on your back will fell very unnatural. You will tend to keep your legs higher and drive the feet upward in shorter more powerful kicks.

I have posted this suggestion before and I usually get a lot of negative comments, generally from people who have never tried it. My suggestion is give it a try and see if it works for you. If it does great. if not, you wasted a few hundred yards of swimming.

Good luck.
2014-03-14 9:30 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by Stuartap

Take this advice with the caveat that most people will disagree with me but this worked great for me. I was a swimmer in HS & college and this was the way we always did kick drills. More accurately, the only way the freestyle swimmers ever did kick drills.

Instead of using a kick board do your drills on your back with your hand extended fully over your head. Most people find it easier if they lock their thumbs. The rationale behind this is on your back the kick tends to be much shorter. Dropping your legs while on your back will fell very unnatural. You will tend to keep your legs higher and drive the feet upward in shorter more powerful kicks.

I have posted this suggestion before and I usually get a lot of negative comments, generally from people who have never tried it. My suggestion is give it a try and see if it works for you. If it does great. if not, you wasted a few hundred yards of swimming.

Good luck.

That is what I do for my limited kicking. I have no idea how fast I kick however. I just know that it is way slower than I swim.
2014-03-15 12:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I mix it up with and without a board. If I'm feeling good I can kick 1:30-35/100 (metres) for 5 to 8 reps.
2014-03-15 6:15 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I concur with what Eric says above. Kicking is a poor mechanism for propulsion in swimming, especially for freestyle. Further, in anything other than a sprint (100 yards or less), not an efficient use of energy for the amount of propulsion provided. In the distance swimming that occurs in Sprints, Oly and longer triathlons kicking is not as much used for propulsion as much as it is used to keep your body in a hydrodynamic position within the water and provide the rotation for proper stroke mechanics and breathing. Honestly, I have kick sets in my workouts but for the most part I look at them as an opportunity to give my shoulders/back a bit of a break during my swim sets.
2014-03-15 7:53 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro

Good swimmers would like everyone to kick less.

2014-10-15 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

One swim per week I include kick and pull drills within my sets.  When I do pull drills my time is very close to my regular freestyle times per 100 yards.  ~2:00 for freestyle, ~ 2:10 for pull drills (I hold a foam dumbbell between my ankles/shins to keep my legs somewhat parallel to the water)......This morning I had one set where my free time was 2:00, my pull time was 2:01...

I don't do flip turns, not that it matters when discussing kick drills...It does contribute to my pace per 100 though...I'm not fast obviously and have lots of opportunity for improvement...

Based on the time similarities I'm wondering if my legs are acting as anchors as I'm kicking???  What is considered a normal time differential between the free and pull times?

Any suggestions on ways to make sure my hip/leg posture is correct to maximize my movement through the water are appreciated.

2014-10-15 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Stuartap

Good luck.

I was not a swimmer but I have sat thru a lot of youth swim team practices (both Rec league ans USA club). For the most part the kick board is never used for freestyle kick drills. They seem to only use the kick board for fly and breast. Even then the board is used sparingly. To me it makes sense, free and back requires you body to rotate the kick board makes this harder.
2014-10-15 1:24 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I personally never do kick drills, or anything but freestyle, for that matter. No drills, no paddles, no fins, no backstroke, no breast stroke, no fly...just sets of freestyle. Probably not for everyone (or anyone) but I did have a four time gold medalist tell me I have a "really awesome stroke" this week during my workout .

2014-10-15 1:35 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Veteran
Great White North
To each his own. Out of 3 swims for me 1 is usually a freestyle workout, 1 is a Fly/IM, the 3rd Fly/Free. I may still have some freestyle sets in the IM session but the main set will be IM focused. I always squeeze backstroke into my warm up to help loosen my shoulders.

Swimming nothing but freestyle is boring firstly and secondly having a good feel for the other strokes is beneficial in my opinion.

Last nights main set...
8x75m @1.15 goal tempo 16.75/25m
100 easy
repeat with goal tempo of 16.60/25m

Hit at or close to goal pace on all. The ones that I missed were off by .3 or so per 25.
2014-10-15 1:41 PM

User image

New user
penticton
Originally posted by simpsonbo

To each his own. Out of 3 swims for me 1 is usually a freestyle workout, 1 is a Fly/IM, the 3rd Fly/Free. I may still have some freestyle sets in the IM session but the main set will be IM focused. I always squeeze backstroke into my warm up to help loosen my shoulders.

Swimming nothing but freestyle is boring firstly and secondly having a good feel for the other strokes is beneficial in my opinion.

Last nights main set...
100 easy

Hit at or close to goal pace on all. The ones that I missed were off by .3 or so per 25.

if you have a kid or adult that can swim 5-6X a week..sure, do some back/fly/breast. But as most triathlete swim perhaps 2000-3000m 2 or 3 times a week....or less, it s a wise idea to stick to freestyle to get the most out of them.

it s a matter of specificity and the best bang for your bucks.

2014-10-15 1:56 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by jonnyo

Originally posted by simpsonbo

Last nights main set...
100 easy

if you have a kid or adult that can swim 5-6X a week..sure, do some back/fly/breast. But as most triathlete swim perhaps 2000-3000m 2 or 3 times a week....or less, it s a wise idea to stick to freestyle to get the most out of them.

it s a matter of specificity and the best bang for your bucks.

It's a preference thing for me and also a time issue as stated above. I want to spend as much time as I can on freestyle. Are there indirect benefits to freestyle from other strokes and drills...I'm certain there are, but I want to get the most bang for my buck and I don't know where I'd fit that in. My workout on Monday was (the pool was LCM):

2 x 500 meters on 9 minutes (goal pace of 1:30/100m which I met for both)
12 x 100 meters on 2 minutes (all completed between 1:13 to 1:22*)
100 meters easy
500 meter swim moderate pace

I couldn't see doing any less than this in freestyle work, but I don't have time to do much more since I had a 3 mile run afterward. That's where the other strokes and drills just won't fit in, nor do I see the benefit in removing some of the above to fit them in. I just don't think the incremental benefit would be worth it.

*As an embarrassing side note: Normally I start at around 1:20 pace and work my way down, but this time was the opposite unfortunately. I went to a different pool and as I mentioned the dude who owns it/runs it was an Olympic swimmer. I wasn't expecting him to be there, or decide to stand at the end of my lane with a stop watch my entire workout, so I went out way too hard (especially after hearing all the compliments on my stroke) and ended up feeling like a d-bag when I crashed and was chugging to do the last couple at 1:20 .
2014-10-15 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I would disagree in that it depends on the background of the athlete and the type of non free sets being done. I know the more Fly I swim the fitter I am in the water.
2014-10-15 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I would disagree in that it depends on the background of the athlete and the type of non free sets being done. I know the more Fly I swim the fitter I am in the water.
2014-10-15 2:21 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Dr. Gary Hall Sr by chance?
2014-10-15 2:26 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Jon Olsen. He runs a pool down here in the Keys.

2014-10-15 3:33 PM

User image

New user
penticton
one word for you..... Specificity

don't get fool by the old ''swimming myth'' you been raise with. Science tells us clearly what matter in performance.

there is a reason runners don't need to lean to dance or run backword to run fast....they stick to specificity and run.

Edited by jonnyo 2014-10-15 3:36 PM
2014-10-15 3:48 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jonnyo one word for you..... Specificity don't get fool by the old ''swimming myth'' you been raise with. Science tells us clearly what matter in performance. there is a reason runners don't need to lean to dance or run backword to run fast....they stick to specificity and run.

OK.....tonight when I go to my kid's swim club, where currently 3 kids with Olympic qualifying times will be, along with their coaches, one a former Olympian and the other the coach of numerous national champions....both USA level 5 coaches.....I'm going to tell both of them that all of the IM sets they have the kids do are really detrimental to their overall swimming speed, especially in the freestyle.  I will tell them that their freestylers should only be doing freestyle, the back strokers only backstroke, etc. due to specificity.  I'm going to tell them I read it on BT so I know it's true......there is no way their freestylers can get faster doing those other strokes. Furthermore, I'm going to tell them that it's ridiculous that they have coached my kid this way for 3 years and brought him from a 1:40 100 and back of pack swimmer in DL racing to a :48 100 freestyle and nearly first out of the water when they clearly coould have done more specific freestyle training and had him much faster by now.  I'm going to tell them that their coaching is a "swimming myth" and demand a refund. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-15 3:48 PM
2014-10-15 3:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jonnyo
there is a reason runners don't need to lean to dance

Sorry man, you are wrong on this one

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/lolo-jones-makes-dancing-...

2014-10-15 4:19 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I knew many swimmers who had top events in the same distance over 2 or 3 strokes....

ie 100 Fly/Bk/Fr or 200 Fly/Free. Hell Fly was my top stroke maybe I should have skipped all the distance free training

Maybe what Jonny is saying might hold water with some adult onset swimmers with limited time. Maybe I should have a Vasa showdown with one of his athletes who only trains free.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim kick Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

swim kick advice needed - Please!

Started by cwiehle
Views: 995 Posts: 8

2006-07-14 12:21 PM cwiehle

Another swim kick post

Started by altmizzle
Views: 971 Posts: 3

2005-01-19 11:34 PM altmizzle

Your Swim Kick...

Started by Hudnick
Views: 942 Posts: 6

2005-01-19 6:31 PM ChuckyFinster

swim kicking question

Started by auto208562
Views: 1056 Posts: 11

2005-01-04 1:35 PM kepola

First Tri Swim Kicked My $#@!^

Started by soupaman
Views: 1514 Posts: 17

2004-06-04 6:47 PM soupaman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 12, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
A strong kick matched with the opposing hand's entry can give your swim a boost

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Video of the six/three kick swim drill
date : December 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on further swim improvements, spicing up endurance swims, kicking for triathlon, pull buoy usage, not moving while kicking and rest intervals for fast/short sets.

date : June 17, 2008
It seems that if I swim that slow I begin to sink and I have to either kick or pull harder to compensate while my heart-rate starts going up. I find myself kicking too hard trying to keep afloat.
date : November 28, 2007
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : November 28, 2004
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.