Occam is resting well.

Yep.  Now the question is why.

2014-03-25 9:49 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Missing Malaysian 777
Theories are like aholes, every one has one and they all stink! So here is mine.....

Plane was hijacked by some incompetent hijackers. They knew enough to turn off the transponders but not enough to turn off the ACARS. They put in a new flight plan but later realized they were not heading to where they thought they were heading so they change course twice more. Then eventually ran out of fuel and crashed before reaching where they'd intended to go.
2014-03-25 3:22 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Sensei
Sin City

So it WASN'T Bosnian pirates stealing some valuable mystery cargo, mini black holes, cockpit fires that selected only certain equipment to render inoperable, or rips in the space time continuum?  It just CRASHED?  Go figure.

My money is massive electronics failure, thought they were limping back to land but not (or couldn't), sploosh...  The end.

2014-03-26 9:16 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

Apparently the Chinese people aren't very happy with Malaysia's handling of the investigation, prompting this gem:

"I've never been to Malaysia, and I will no longer plan to go there anymore,"
Meng Fei, the host of one of China's most popular TV shows, wrote Wednesday on
Weibo.

LOL........well ok then.

2014-03-26 11:11 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by Left Brain

Apparently the Chinese people aren't very happy with Malaysia's handling of the investigation, prompting this gem:

"I've never been to Malaysia, and I will no longer plan to go there anymore,"
Meng Fei, the host of one of China's most popular TV shows, wrote Wednesday on
Weibo.

LOL........well ok then.

I know I can't, and hope I never will, understand the pain and anguish these families are going through.  But the part I don't understand is the borderline conspiracy theory mob mentality that is boiling over in China to the Malaysian consulate.  They said they want to see the raw data as if everyone is lying and the plane really did land and someone has their relatives.  I think I saw one quote say "Give us our family back" as if they were somewhere other than the bottom of the ocean.

2014-03-26 11:43 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I guess the "denial" phase of grief goes pretty deep and they grasp at anything to keep their loved ones "alive".

2014-03-26 11:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

I guess the "denial" phase of grief goes pretty deep and they grasp at anything to keep their loved ones "alive".

I have wondered what the cultural differences (from our culture) may be with regard to grieving/moving on with your life.  For instance, almost all chinese families only have 1 child.  As devestating as it is to lose a child, if your family is bigger you have an obligation to be strong and relistic because you have other children who depend on it.  Maybe no "closure" is worse for the Chineses than it is for us?  I'm just throwing it out there because some of the reaction I've seen is over the top from what I am used to seeing in tragic situations.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-26 11:50 AM
2014-03-26 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary

I have wondered what the cultural differences (from our culture) may be with regard to grieving/moving on with your life.

I think the same thing would happen anywhere else. There are a lot of people together thinking about one thing, not eating enough, not sleeping enough, not thinking straight. I think the lack of violence is the only thing that would change, should such an absolutely bizarre thing happen in the US.
2014-03-26 11:52 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BigDH

I have wondered what the cultural differences (from our culture) may be with regard to grieving/moving on with your life.

I think the same thing would happen anywhere else. There are a lot of people together thinking about one thing, not eating enough, not sleeping enough, not thinking straight. I think the lack of violence is the only thing that would change, should such an absolutely bizarre thing happen in the US.

I don't know.  I added to my post in an edit.  I've been around some pretty crazy death scenes, and dealt with quite a few people who have alot of questions that we can't answer regarding the death of loved ones......I haven't seen many reactions like I've seen with this.  I also wonder how crazy the media is making everyone.

2014-03-26 11:52 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
I don't think the differences are as much cultural as they are religious. Ethnic Malays are most often Muslim. Chinese can be anything, as most caucasians can be as well....

Also the Chinese and the Malay's don't really get along all that well to begin with.
2014-03-26 11:55 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gr33n I don't think the differences are as much cultural as they are religious. Ethnic Malays are most often Muslim. Chinese can be anything, as most caucasians can be as well.... Also the Chinese and the Malay's don't really get along all that well to begin with.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.  That makes sense.

2014-03-26 11:59 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I don't know.  I added to my post in an edit.  I've been around some pretty crazy death scenes, and dealt with quite a few people who have alot of questions that we can't answer regarding the death of loved ones......I haven't seen many reactions like I've seen with this.  I also wonder how crazy the media is making everyone.

Grief plus the mob mentality?  Maybe a family in grief is a bit more subdued and "reasonable".  Throw in the mob thing which ALWAYS gets people acting the fool in most cases which feeds the grief?

2014-03-26 11:59 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
At the root of the problem is in Malaysia the Chinese are a minority but are overall more financially successful, better educated and control more of the wealth.
2014-03-26 12:02 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by gr33n I don't think the differences are as much cultural as they are religious. Ethnic Malays are most often Muslim. Chinese can be anything, as most caucasians can be as well.... Also the Chinese and the Malay's don't really get along all that well to begin with.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.  That makes sense.

Yeah, maybe back in the day of the cold war if a Russian jet went down full of Americans (it's a stretch, I know.  We wouldn't be ON a Russian plane back then).  We would probably be screaming at the Russians if they looked like they were holding back or inept even if they didn't do anything wrong.

Edited by Kido 2014-03-26 12:02 PM

2014-03-29 4:35 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

maybe, this situation seems to be quite a bit different than anything I can think of. So much unknown and uncertainty, not only in what happened but in the actual final result. Almost all the time there is a tragedy we know there is a tragedy. Here, we just don't know.

Now that the airline has "called it" it does appear that some of the craziness and hysteria has stopped. Or perhaps it is just not being reported.
2014-03-29 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not making excuses for China but if you've ever lived there, you would know where this is coming from. There is ZERO trust of the government (a look at modern Chinese history will explain why) and people assume that all other governments are hiding something and have evil agendas as well. A local friend used to joke that if the govt. said that brushing your teeth was a good health habit, people would stop doing it out of fear it was a hoax! Paranoia is huge. Plus, in this case it IS possible that due to either security concerns or simply the technical difficulties involved, not all the data is being shared in a timely fashion, or at least it appears that way. Coupled with grieving, stressed people, the media spotlight, mob mentality, and you have some pretty odd behavior from our perspective.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-03-29 7:54 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Missing Malaysian 777 Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Missing Forumite(s) we miss the most Pages: 1 2

Started by WaterDog66
Views: 3730 Posts: 48

2008-04-11 11:05 AM jmk-brooklyn

Things i DONT miss about relationships (for Lee &others) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Comet
Views: 3504 Posts: 74

2008-01-11 11:16 AM Whizzzzz

Things I miss about being in a relationship Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Renee
Views: 3077 Posts: 53

2008-01-10 10:20 PM Comet

I miss my bike

Started by nickatnite
Views: 616 Posts: 2

2005-08-10 9:05 PM max

I miss my kids...

Started by cadreamer
Views: 1086 Posts: 15

2005-08-08 6:52 PM zagagirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : November 9, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 3
Many times a missed workout leads to undue stress and frustration which can adversely affect athletic performance and day-to-day life. Here are some tips to deal with the inevitable missed workout.