General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If ur an Ironman and you were asked about ur hobbies... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-03-14 7:31 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: If ur an Ironman and you were asked about ur hobbies...
So let's say you got a new job and the company wants you to fill out a profile that talks about yourself. The one category is about hobbies. Do you....

A) Tell them "I'm an Ironman beotch!"
B) Tell them you enjoy swimming, biking and running long distance
C) Tell them you are a long distance endurance athlete and enjoy suffering til you croak and curl up like a fetus on the side of the street and tell the bystanders not to touch you
D) Tell them you enjoy sports
E) Tell them you enjoy a threesome
F) Don't tell them any of your hobbies because they may think your loco
E) Other

Do you brag? Do you wait until you are limping around the office? Do you tell them straight up? Just seeing what other would say. Most regular/ non tri folks probably don't give a hoot!

2014-03-14 7:34 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: If ur an Ironman and you were asked about ur hobbies...
I'm in the process of applying for a new job at the moment, and I'm definitely playing up my Ironman status. To me, it only reveals positive character traits, like diligence and perseverance. The only time I could see it being a negative would be if you were applying for a job that expected you to work 80-90 hours per week, and assumed you had no outside life.
2014-03-15 11:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Sure, I listed "Multiple Ironman Finisher" at the bottom of my resume when I applied for a new position last fall. During the hiring process, I found out that one of my interviewers was a former collegiate level runner. We ended up talking for a while about both of our experiences and how we find a balance between work and life. I told him that I participate in 9-17 hour races for FUN, so he would never have to worry about my patience or tenacity.

They gave me the job.
2014-03-16 8:03 AM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Regular
Akron
My resume stated I have competed marathons and the boss told my I was crazy! I tried talking her into running one or at least a half and she said I was nuts, but I got the job. My resume only listed that I enjoyed triathlons. I wander what she would have said if I told her I was an Ironman Wait til she finds that out!
2014-03-20 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by SEADOCHA

I wander what she would have said if I told her I was an Ironman Wait til she finds that out!

I think she'll figure it out when you start taking 2 hour lunch breaks to get in 4000 yard swim workouts at lunch and walk around smelling like chlorine!
2014-03-22 9:22 AM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

Regular
Akron
I have a decoration that a previous employee made for me that says "Ironwoman" and it sits on my desk. My new coworker asked about it. I just told him it was a race called the Ironman. He asked me if I placed. I chuckled and said just finishing is an amazing task, but I did very well. I told him 12 hours of cardio is a victory in itself. He about shat himself. I found him intrigued though because he started asking avlot of questions. I really wanted to keep talking about it for the rest of the day, but I'll just let him wander how crazy I really am!! He's probably still going over the numbers in his head!

I'm an Ironman BEOTCH!!!!

2014-03-23 1:55 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by SEADOCHA So let's say you got a new job and the company wants you to fill out a profile that talks about yourself. The one category is about hobbies. Do you.... A) Tell them "I'm an Ironman beotch!" B) Tell them you enjoy swimming, biking and running long distance C) Tell them you are a long distance endurance athlete and enjoy suffering til you croak and curl up like a fetus on the side of the street and tell the bystanders not to touch you D) Tell them you enjoy sports E) Tell them you enjoy a threesome F) Don't tell them any of your hobbies because they may think your loco E) Other Do you brag? Do you wait until you are limping around the office? Do you tell them straight up? Just seeing what other would say. Most regular/ non tri folks probably don't give a hoot!

A box that asks for hobbies?  Assuming it's not a fitness-related job, I'd simply enter "triathlon" or "endurance sports".  If the job is fitness-related, then I'd include more information to communicate clearly that I lead a lifestyle consistent with the culture promoted by my new employer.

2014-03-24 5:46 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I have triathlon listed in the last section of my CV last page under hobbies along with photography, sailing and skiing I think.  Typically no one asks about it. Then again My CV is like 15+pages long no so probably no one ever sees it.  After nearly 10 years in the sport its just something I do to keep my head on straight.  I'm not all that impressed with myself nor should anyone else be and quite frankly I don't have the energy to explain why I do Ironmans to anyone never mind what they are. 

2014-03-24 1:28 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

If asked about my hobbies I say I am a triathlete.  

2014-03-25 6:25 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
Personally, I would tell them you're a distance triathlete, or Ironman. It's a direct representation of your charter. If you can complete that kind of distance without quitting, it shows you don't give up easily and that you are dedicated. Most of my employees are athletes, most are triathletes, 95% have done a half or a full ironman.
2014-03-31 1:06 PM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Swimaway Personally, I would tell them you're a distance triathlete, or Ironman. It's a direct representation of your charter. If you can complete that kind of distance without quitting, it shows you don't give up easily and that you are dedicated. Most of my employees are athletes, most are triathletes, 95% have done a half or a full ironman.

Oooorrrr it shows that you have a super high tolerance for boredom.

I used to have a (ONE) "personal" bullet point on my resume where I said something like "personal interests include community volunteerism, triathlon/endurance sports, and gluten free cooking" - but I removed it on this last revision. Mostly for real estate reasons, but that kind of thing is easy enough to weave into conversation it doesn't really need to be on my resume taking up space. I could go either way on this one.

2014-04-03 10:30 AM

User image

The response I always seem to give when asked about hobbies (or sometimes people ask what I do for exercise since I'm in decent shape) is just, "I do triathlons and endurance races." I didn't realize that wasn't a "normal" response until recently.
2014-04-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: stephgob

User image

Extreme Veteran
I tell them Hunting and Fishing. I may mention triathlon after that, but it's more of a health and lifestyle thing to me than a hobby.
2014-04-09 12:37 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
I would say swimming, biking and running. I would leave off the "long distance' part.
2014-04-22 2:04 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

I would probably say I'm into long distance triathlon racing and kind of feel out the response before elaborating.  Some people suddenly have tons of questions about it while with others just yawn with boredom.

2014-05-06 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4965491

At my last interview I was asked what I was passionate about. Not everyone knows what an Ironman is, but most people know what triathlons are. The sport show dedication and passion, why not mention it?

2014-05-08 6:33 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

While it's always nice to share our passion of endurance sports, you gotta remember the company is selfish and always looks out for itself. Endurance athlete may mean you're coming into work tired, leaving early in the afternoons, unavailable at lunch cause you're in the pool and never eating cake at the weekly cubicle birthday party. Also means you won't work weekends because you have long sessions and you'll definitely make everyone else in the office uncomfortable for being "slightly" overweight.

Might just wanna say knitting instead......

2014-05-08 8:45 PM
in reply to: jbjboc

User image

Regular
Akron
while that is true, I don't think the boring people know exactly what and how we do it unless they've been in our shoes before
2014-05-08 9:35 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I tell people I like to exercise.

I do everything in my power to avoid being "one of those guys" who talks incessantly about triathlon. With that being said, it is amazing to me how many people who know I do triathlons want to ask me every detail about training and racing.

I took an IMAZ backpack to one of my daughter's swim meets this year. Someone asked me, "are you an Ironman?" My response, "ummm, I've done an Ironman....."

Anyways. It is my hobby but not my identity.
2014-05-09 3:23 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

Master
Northern IL

I'm kind of like that too. Don't like being pigeon-holed in to "triathlete", but more a variety of activities. One of which is triathlon. I do swim meets, I do bike events, I do running races. I've done aquabikes and duathlons. It's been awhile, but I'll pull the mountain bike out every now and then.

2014-05-09 3:26 PM
in reply to: jbjboc

Master
Northern IL

That's striking me as a bad place to work for anyone who likes to anything besides work.

2014-05-12 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4992514

Extreme Veteran
I got a new boss I stayed in the job he is new. He asked about my hobbies and I told him ironman. I didn't think he was interested or even cared. He is in Milwaukee and I'm in New York so I see him about once a month. I had to go out to Milwaukee in the middle of winter and I showed up to the meeting during a stretch of sub zero weather. He asked me if I chiseled the ice off the lake to get my OWS in this morning. Apparently it made an impression. My advice is let it be known , but don't over play it.
Kevin
2014-05-12 7:55 PM
in reply to: chevy57

User image

Pro

People who do Ironman events tell everyone else they did it, why leave your boss out?

2014-05-12 9:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jbjboc

While it's always nice to share our passion of endurance sports, you gotta remember the company is selfish and always looks out for itself. Endurance athlete may mean you're coming into work tired, leaving early in the afternoons, unavailable at lunch cause you're in the pool and never eating cake at the weekly cubicle birthday party. Also means you won't work weekends because you have long sessions and you'll definitely make everyone else in the office uncomfortable for being "slightly" overweight.

Oh wow I've done 3 Ironmans (gotta slip that in, right? ), work full time in a corporate setting and have never experienced any of the things you mention. I'm always in the break room for cake, man! OK, just the frosting. 

Relative to the question, I started a new job 2 weeks ago. I've told a handful of co-workers that I run and "do triathlons" when pressed about what I did over the weekend (and found some pretty cool common ground with the most unlikely of folks), but haven't elaborated much yet. For me there's a personal/professional balance, especially when first meeting and working with new people, that I'm being careful not to tip right now. 

Edited by lisac957 2014-05-12 9:19 PM
2014-05-13 12:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by jbjboc

I'll give my cake to Milton...maybe he won't set the building on fire

Edited by rdailey1 2014-05-13 12:25 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If ur an Ironman and you were asked about ur hobbies... Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Half Ironman Training- Am I doing enough?

Started by rizz923
Views: 2699 Posts: 11

2012-10-31 3:29 PM Baowolf

how has ur experience been with training with power?

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 1318 Posts: 7

2012-10-02 9:59 PM runspingirl

Finally I am an Ironman too!

Started by Plissken74
Views: 1846 Posts: 23

2008-09-11 10:28 AM mattajw

SC 1/2 IronMan I AM IN!

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 829 Posts: 2

2007-06-22 2:43 PM SuzanneS

OK, I have to ask....

Started by Tribry262
Views: 1453 Posts: 5

2005-01-07 9:15 AM Motivated
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.