General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Cramps on Run Portion of Brick - HELP!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-14 8:24 PM

User image

Subject: Calf Cramps on Run Portion of Brick - HELP!!!
I keep having right calf cramps on the run portion of my bricks.

What I have don't to mitigate:
Added bananas to my diet = about a half a day or one every other day or so.
Regularly eating sweet potatoes

Added a compression sleeve

I haven't added nearly as much stretching as I thought I should have been.

after I add my stretching religiously, what else should I be doing?

I go right from the bike to the run w\ limited transition time

HELP ?

2014-03-14 8:39 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Calf Cramps on Run Portion of Brick - HELP!!!
There are lots of possible causes, but a few more things you could try--could be related to your bike position, particularly the position of your cleats. If there are different positions available for that, you might experiment to see if that helps. I'd been having cramps in my shins (muscles, not shin splints), and some nerve irritation in my foot, on long bricks and races, and moving the cleat position seemed to help. Other possible causes could be dehydration during the bike (which is pretty common on long rides), pushing the bike or run too hard for your fitness level, or some kind of muscle imbalance or minor injury that the bike/run combination is aggravating.
2014-03-30 1:44 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Subject: RE: Calf Cramps on Run Portion of Brick - HELP!!!
Thanks for your help.

Just an update

Ive added Bananas to my diet.
I have added calf raises to my routing.

Between bike / run I stretch my calves out before hitting a pain area.

I added a compression calf sleeve.

So I still have some tightness there, but I completed a short brick today without any problems.
Half hour bike followed by a half hour run.

I thought it appropriate as I am training for a spring.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Cramps on Run Portion of Brick - HELP!!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Calf Cramping issues

Started by DRLski
Views: 1101 Posts: 6

2007-02-12 9:46 AM LHablas

calf cramping and prelonged pain

Started by hdhtri
Views: 569 Posts: 1

2006-08-21 8:38 AM hdhtri

Massive calf cramp

Started by KenyonTri
Views: 3140 Posts: 18

2007-08-14 5:31 AM Chris Tree

Calf Cramps (newbie)

Started by Heddo
Views: 1252 Posts: 12

2005-07-16 11:37 AM mnewton

Calf Cramps in Brick

Started by Mikem
Views: 1177 Posts: 7

2005-04-16 12:32 PM JGFTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
As I was pulling my wetsuit off while standing in the water, my left calf cramped such that my foot was pointed, the muscle was rock hard, and I could not pull my foot out of point for 30 seconds.

date : July 2, 2013
Deep calf pain can be a tricky problem to deal with, and it’s appropriate that you are paying attention to this pain before it becomes a more debilitating injury.
date : July 20, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Strategies for getting used to running off the bike when starting triathlon or taking on a new distance.

date : November 23, 2009
author : mikericci
At the midpoint of the run I felt my calves start to cramp. How do I improve my cramping resistance and are there any extra training or exercise for me to improve on?
date : August 22, 2009
I'm experiencing tightness and pain in my calf muscles including my left achilles tendon. The tendons seem to really stiffen when sitting or sleeping. I'm not doing anything new.

date : September 17, 2007
Muscle cramps occur in 67% of triathletes. This article discusses several theories on the causes of cramps and what to do if you get one and how to prevent cramps.
date : September 13, 2007
I woke up with a huge painful cramp in my right calf. I do not think I was dehydrated. Can you offer clarity on what may have happened? Should I back off tomorrow's workout?

date : April 9, 2005
comments : 1
I am training for my first IM and lately I have been getting cramps in my calves. I am a heavy salt sweater and I was wondering if that has anything to do with it?