General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Richmond Tri Club Sprint Presented by Bon Secours : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-14 9:26 PM

User image

Subject: Richmond Tri Club Sprint Presented by Bon Secours : Official Thread
This event changed venues last year and swimmers were privy to an awesome, olympic-caliber, 50-meter pool during the first leg. For those of you who did it with me last year, I'm wondering if the RTC is planning to utilize the same swim start format as last year. Anyone heard any rumors?

For those of you who weren't there, the swim consisted of 4 long-course laps for a total of 400 yards. Racers completed a hairpin turn around an open water buoy anchored about 5 meters from the end of each lane allowing for an 8-times-up-and-back snake from one side of the pool to the other. That was well and good, but the start format created a chaotic churn for the duration that rivaled anything I've ever experienced in an open-water wave. 10 racers at a time performed a deepwater start every 30 seconds. 10 racers scratched and clawed their way for the holeshot only to be stymied by slower swimmers in the group ahead who were themselves stymied. I crawled over people (and was crawled all over) for 400 yards. It was easily the least civilized pool swim I've ever experienced and as much as I'm looking forward to the event itself I'm dreading the swim.

That said, given what a great swim venue it is it has the potential to be awesome if they rethink the start. So how about it, RTC? What's the word on the swim start this year?

2014-03-19 6:46 AM
in reply to: wsb5c

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Richmond Tri Club Sprint Presented by Bon Secours : Official Thread
SetUp Events website sounds like it will be the same as last year. As much as I hated it last year, I'm looking forward to conquering the beast this year!
2014-04-13 4:20 PM
in reply to: wsb5c

User image

Veteran
Richmond VA area
Subject: RE: Richmond Tri Club Sprint Presented by Bon Secours : Official Thread
I hope it is the same swim course. It sure beats the old snake swim up and down each lane and under the rope. I rode part of the course this afternoon. it was very windy so not very fun. I did Cogbill to Iron bridge to White Pine to Belmont and the rode surface was pretty good except one large pothole right after the right turn onto Belmont. It is a down hill portion and I was gaining speed when I hit it. Lost my water bottle.

Dan-o
2014-04-13 4:54 PM
in reply to: RecTri

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

It's the same weekend as my daughter's Senior Prom....the last one....(sniff) I will spend race day catering to the Prom princess.  Next year--when I don't have anyone going to prom!!

Who is in for the Powhatan Metric Century ride the day after this race?

2014-04-14 7:01 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Veteran
Richmond VA area
Judi,

Enjoy the prom primping. I didn't even know there was a metric century in Powhatan. I am far from ready for that distance. Training for the CAP2CAP 50 mi and the Tour of Richmond 102 mi. Got a lot of miles to put in before that. Be safe out there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Richmond Tri Club Sprint Presented by Bon Secours : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Brickman Richmond Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by RecTri
Views: 1326 Posts: 5

2012-10-08 3:11 PM RecTri

Richmond Tri Club Sprint Presented by 3Sports : Official Thread

Started by RecTri
Views: 1300 Posts: 3

2012-09-10 2:49 PM RecTri

Richmond Tri Club sprint

Started by pvfd304
Views: 2240 Posts: 25

2012-09-18 7:37 AM enders_shadow

Richmond Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by lisahoo
Views: 7467 Posts: 86

2009-10-14 8:06 AM sk2a2005

SunTrust Richmond Marathon : Official Thread

Started by leibniz
Views: 5758 Posts: 19

2010-04-09 7:33 AM mdalsey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.