General Discussion Triathlon Talk » xterra advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-15 12:59 AM

User image

Denton, TX
Subject: xterra advice
I hit the road next Friday for my first Xterra Tri. Last yr was my first season and did well. Open to any and all tips as I venture into the offroad stuff. I have raced MTB so it is only natural to give this a go.

thanks in advance

2014-03-15 9:25 AM
in reply to: Todd13

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: xterra advice
Have fun! I did my first last year when my husband broke his hand and had already paid the entry. This year I am planning on only Xterras ;-)

I was not really prepared due to circumstances but the best advice he gave me was to walk up any steep hills on the run at a good steady pace rather than burning out my legs. He's a lot better than me and he still walks some of the hills.

Also have a spare water bottle in transition to rinse your feet/ blood off your face if you crash on the bike (I wasn't planning on that, but it worked well).

Seems like parking to transition is often further than the regular tris I 've done- I wish I had a transition bag backpack for carrying my stuff on my bike and I remembered sunscreen with my transition stuff.

Those are the random things I can think of that I learned.
2014-03-15 12:20 PM

User image

Austin, Texas

Xterra Camp Eagle?  This is going to be my first real triathlon.  I've only done my neighborhood 300m pool swim, 2 mile bike, and 1 mile run mini triathlon last year.  Sounds like you've got far more experience than me so I doubt I have any useful advice.  I'll be out there on Friday so I can pre-ride the course.  I'm told by my mountain biking friends it is a good one.  I'm also bringing a wetsuit since this should be wetsuit legal.

2014-03-15 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Since you have raced mtn bikes, you will know the general feel for passing when on the tight sections. Just be patient and communicate your intentions, I have not had any issues with people pulling to the side or holding others up too long. Mtn biking and trail running is a different animal than road tris due to the short steep efforts, hard intervals, etc so doing the best you can to manage the HR is the name of the game.

Ditch the watch too, courses are not supposed to be exact the to mile so your time splits are basically irrelevant since you are racing the terrain and not the distance. Remember, you will get there when you get there.....

If you can pre-ride the course, do so, even at a slow roll so you have an idea of where there may be technical spots or corners you can just blast around. That is worth minutes, not seconds. Personally I like to wear a small camelback for the bike leg because I know that when I am thirsty, I should drink. Otherwise with a bottle in the bottle cage, you pretty much are stuck to drinking when the course is easy enough to do so. Also, I throw on bike gloves (I don't for road tris) because there is nothing worse than losing grip with wet hands and crashing, thus 5 seconds in transition is worth it.

Be prepared for a fairly relaxed atmosphere as well, after all, you are racing in the woods. Enjoy the race !

2014-03-15 5:57 PM

User image

Denton, TX
thanks for the tips. I will add the extra h2o bottle for wash of feet or face- good call. Yes - it is Camp Eagle. if you want to see some of it, there is about 45 min of some of the trail on youtube (for the person going to Camp Eagle). Looks like a lot of loose rock.

I think I will ride sockless and add socks for the run. seems like the best place to add socks (fastest).

camelback? Yeah - hate them, but for such a short bike leg, better use it this time so I don't worry about dropping the bottle.
2014-03-15 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
As others have said, pre-riding will be really helpful! I've done Xterra's every year for the last 15 years or so; they are fun!!! Pre-ride the course, figure out the areas where you can drink / eat and any good lines you can use to pass.

If your able to (some courses allow it, some don't), ride the run course as well. That way you know where the loose sections are and any climbs or anything you need to know.

2014-03-18 10:57 PM

User image

Xterra is waaay more relaxed and fun-natured than many other race events. It's also very competitive. I always hook my gloves onto my bars and put them on in the first few minutes of the trail. I've never done the Camp Eagle course, but on many Xterra courses, the terrain isn't terribly technical and a water bottle is just fine. I typically also tape nutrition (GU) onto my top tube so it's quick to grab and slam it down without having to go one-handed too long. More than in other tris, your swim split matters a lot. If you get out of the water and onto the bike behind a ton of other guys, you've got to pass all of them on the bike. That can wreak havoc on your bike time - much better if you can pound out the swim and be ahead of all those guys starting out on the bike, especially if the trail is mostly singletrack.

Mostly just have fun and let us know how it goes.

2014-03-19 6:35 AM
in reply to: cdallen

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

I don't have any real advice but I did my first XTERRA last year and that is pretty much all I plan to do this year. I loved it right away.  I can't wait for my first race of the season on 4/6.

2014-03-23 8:46 AM
in reply to: csharp1171

User image

Denton, TX
met Shawn from Austin (above) and had a tremendous experience. Shawn and I both finished in top third - pretty cool. Lots of fun, but note if doing an Xterra in TX, the trails are technical. I heard some comparisons to other regions by some salty vets and I will just leave those at the water cooler.

I urge anyone thinking of doing one of these, to do it. They are much more relaxed and more like the mtn biking scene. However, don't let that lull you to sleep - they are competitive. Very fun. The swim was in a spring fed body of water - very clear, but a little low (drought in TX right now).

I plan on doing the Epic distance race in Ruston LA and prob Bluebonnet in TX the week before. Sound off if anyone else is going to these venues.
2014-03-24 4:00 PM

User image

Austin, Texas

It was great meeting you Todd.  I had a blast, and learned that I'm part of a pretty tough age group.  I really enjoyed how technical the course was.  I learned I need to work on my transitions since I probably could have picked off another place overall if I would have been a little quicker.  I also need to work on my swim, bike, and run but I figure that goes unsaid.

I just signed up for XTERRA Bluebonnet so I'll see you there.

2014-03-24 10:29 PM
in reply to: sbohrer

User image

Denton, TX
hey - I found your video. Very very cool! thanks for posting that. I will show my family. I chuckled when I read what you need to work on. We all have a bunch of stuff to work on. yeah it was way cool and we got lucky with great weather. Very competitive following (one guy from CA, another from FL and I think a couple from NM and CO). Crazy cult-like competitors make it fun.

I am shooting for Bluebonnet, but may have to just focus on the Epic in Ruston. I am a bit sore still (old age).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » xterra advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Practical advice not medical advice requested

Started by sTRIve
Views: 990 Posts: 3

2011-10-07 8:48 AM cdban66

Xterra - off-road triathlon Advice Pages: 1 2

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 4353 Posts: 28

2008-08-25 2:54 PM Nelg

Xterra Race Tomorrow...yipes! Advice appreciated....

Started by jeanneroth
Views: 786 Posts: 13

2005-08-10 3:01 PM AKMARSH

Xterra Challenges

Started by supplymtnbkr
Views: 796 Posts: 8

2005-06-14 9:02 AM dodgersmom

Xterra races, Jacksonville FL

Started by DRM
Views: 855 Posts: 5

2004-04-14 10:34 AM DRM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???

date : November 20, 2007
author : Lorenzomtb
comments : 1
Immediately I felt attracted by the challenge. I have done plenty of biking this summer and a new motivation, particularly toward the end of the summer, was what I needed.
date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips