General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim motivation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-15 1:40 PM

Subject: Swim motivation

Hi all, 

I am quite new in triathlon, I started training for triathlons 7 months ago, I haven't done any triathlon yet but I can't wait for the season to start!!

I have a problem and that's called swimming... 

I really love running, I have been running now for almost 5 or 6 years. Always as a hobby but since I started training from triathlon I improved my times quite a lot and I am really happy about it. 

I love and I really enjoy cycling, it makes improves my running and it changes the monothony of just training for running. I enjoy the landscape, I enjoy climbing, going downhill, everything...

But the day I have my swimming training... I try to find all excuses not to go... but I force myself and I go. I plan 1 day per week swim training and even if I improved a lot the distance since September... I still don't really enjoy it... I just force myself to go to swim, it's not like running or cycling that I am really into it.

Did anyone of you go through this when you started?

Could you please help me and give me some motivation tips??

I don't want to stop training for triathlon and do duathlons, I really wanna do this, but I would love to have the same feeling about swimming than when I have to go running or cycling...

Any tips? Is it normal??

Edited by tripower 2014-03-15 1:41 PM

2014-03-15 2:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Subject: RE: Swim motivation
Originally posted by tripower

Hi all, 

I am quite new in triathlon, I started training for triathlons 7 months ago, I haven't done any triathlon yet but I can't wait for the season to start!!

I have a problem and that's called swimming... 

I really love running, I have been running now for almost 5 or 6 years. Always as a hobby but since I started training from triathlon I improved my times quite a lot and I am really happy about it. 

I love and I really enjoy cycling, it makes improves my running and it changes the monothony of just training for running. I enjoy the landscape, I enjoy climbing, going downhill, everything...

But the day I have my swimming training... I try to find all excuses not to go... but I force myself and I go. I plan 1 day per week swim training and even if I improved a lot the distance since September... I still don't really enjoy it... I just force myself to go to swim, it's not like running or cycling that I am really into it.

Did anyone of you go through this when you started?

Could you please help me and give me some motivation tips??

I don't want to stop training for triathlon and do duathlons, I really wanna do this, but I would love to have the same feeling about swimming than when I have to go running or cycling...

Any tips? Is it normal??

I sympathize. I could write an essay on this having just entered my third year of triathlon, but suffice it that in my case I developed a love of the water by:
1) Chasing away wandering thoughts during sets (something good for run and ride as well)
2) Realizing there is an infinite scope for technique improvement relative to run or cycling, and thus interest can be generated here
3) Getting past the "jump in shock" moment into a cold pool, which lasts only a few lengths at most
4) Slowing down rather than always trying to speed it up
5) Finding a pool(s) that aren't always busy, in my case switching from LIfetime to LA Fitness (for many reasons).
6) Appreciating that I can swim even when my legs are shot from too much running or cycling
7) Learning to count lengths and not just depend on my 910XT (1-a-b-c-d-2-a-b-c-d-3-a-b-c-d-4-..... etc)
8) Swimming more often
9) Having a "long swim" in the same way I have a "long run" and "long bike".
10) Getting some OWS in, especially with a club.

Edited by FranzZemen 2014-03-15 2:09 PM
2014-03-15 3:09 PM
in reply to: tripower

User image

I'm into my second year of Tri training. Last summer I did mostly OWS and struggled early before I began so see some improvement.

Last fall after the Tri season ended was determined to lap swim during the off season. I found a great pool at a local college that provides community lap swim time every day!! I try to get to the pool at least two times a week. It took about 4 months of lap swimming for 1 hour each sessions before I started feeling myself improving, getting comfortable in the water and getting physically stronger.

Not, i look forward to my swim sessions! Seems my WHOLE body is tired after my sessions. The same people are there all the time and we have become friends. The better swimmers have been a great help giving me positive feedback on my swimming. Also, the college swim team are there sometimes and you can really see what a good YOUNG swimmer is capable off.

So, my experience is, persevere, it'll become more enjoyable as you get better!
2014-03-15 3:27 PM
in reply to: Macguyverguy

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
No, I did not go through this when I started, but that was because I am a swimmer since age 8.

And yes, I can give you tips. However, they might not be as directly related to you since you have not given much information (i.e. why you hate the pool, what you do when you get in the water, etc.). At any rate, here are a plethora of ideas:

1) Check your effort: about half the time should be spent at RPE=4or5. Another quarter of the time should be spent at 6 or 7, and only a fraction at RPE=8.
2) Swim on your back. A 300m swim of free/back, alternating every lap, is much more exciting than straight free.
3) Use fins! This especially helps when you are doing a set which drains you. Mix it up by building your kick throughout the lap, or try to keep your kick in proper timing with your arms
4) Do a dryland warmup. Since the first 10minutes of your swim is just to get your body loose and ready, you might as well do some of it on the deck. Arm swings, wall pushups, leg swings, knee circles, torso twists etc. I find after some dryland, I only need about 300m before I can start swimming seriously.
5) Try this drill: Put a pull buoy around your ankles and swim one lap freestyle. Try your best not to fish-tail your legs (have them swim outwards). Your body should be very rigid.
6) Do this as the main focus of your swim: 4x75m freestyle, descending your stroke count each lap. Sparse the 75's throughout the workout (i.e. warm up, do one 75, do a little kick, do another 75, try some breaststroke drills, do another 75 etc.). Make sure that last lap has the lowest stroke count.
7) Use hand paddles while swimming. Make sure your shoulders are warmed up first. Try to slice the front tip of the paddle in the water at the proper angle (about 30degrees from the surface).
8) Try swimming with only one paddle. Your other hand needs to pull more to keep up.
9) Try swimming with only one fin.
10) Use your cell phone camera to video tape you and analyze the results.
11) If your pool has a shallow end (below your waist), try doing some aqua-jogging in between laps.
12) Try a 3-5 breathing pattern (three strokes, breathe, five strokes, breathe). Not enjoyable, but it does mix up the monotony.
13) Learn the flip turn if you don't know it already. Sure, it won't speed up your OWS, but it gives you something enjoyable to try in the middle of your workout.
2014-03-15 3:32 PM
in reply to: So Fresh So Clean

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
What don't you like about the swimming?
2014-03-15 4:06 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-03-15 5:55 PM

You are only swimming one day a week?If I read that right = you need to swim more, like 3 days/ weekProbably not what you want to hear when you are not loving the water! The improvement from swimming more may help motivate you to get to the pool? If it helps I grew up a swimmer and I enjoy swimming but there's days I still have to drag myself to the pool. It's not like running which you can walk out your front door and do. Having to travel to swim makes it easier to blow off when you really don't feel like it.
2014-03-15 6:08 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Veteran
Tucson
I have only been swimming about 1 1/2 years which is when I started triathlon training. Swimming was new for me and I did not like it much either at first. What really helped me was when I started doing swim sets instead of long continuous swims. I ended up with injuries last year that prevented me from running and cycling for several months and all I could do was swim. Swimming is still not my favorite but I do enjoy it now. Good luck to you!
2014-03-15 6:57 PM
in reply to: desertchica

New user
Kingston, Ontario
I sooooooooooooo went through this.. It's tough and you probably feel like your not getting too far... i always read on BT that people improved when they started swimming more than 3 times a week and joined a masters club. So i did just that. Now instead of feeling completly exausted after like 250 meters i can now swim 2km and completly get lost in the swim with thoughts. I now find it relaxing just going back and forth. Some days i go hard and get that exausted work outs but now i can just have those relaxing work outs in the pool and i think once you get that you will probably feel better about pool swims.. So really you need to do more of what you dont like before you will like it. Atleast IMO
2014-03-15 7:50 PM
in reply to: katan2212

Regular
LHOTP

Yes, add another one to the "you need to swim more" column.

It's human nature and totally normal to not like those things you're not good at.   What fixes that? Getting better. How do you get better? Swim more often.

For now, up your swimming going into the season--3x/week at least.  They don't all have to be long, monster sessions.  Frequency should be a priority.

Then plan on doing a swim focus when your season is over--5x/week (at least) for 6-8 weeks. 

I used to HATE swimming.  I absolutely love it now, and I came to that by following the advice I just gave you :)

2014-03-15 8:39 PM
in reply to: switch

Swimming became a lot more enjoyable for me after I started doing more than one stroke (freestyle).

2014-03-15 11:52 PM

I would hate running if I only ran once per week. Kind of the same thought on swimming. I hated swimming when I was swimming 2:10/100. Since then, I have improved my times which makes swimming more enjoyable. Something to think about.
2014-03-16 12:03 AM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm a runner and swimmer who has the same issue with the bike! I'll be honest--I still don't really like bike training.....but I do it because there aren't that many races that are swim/run only, and I hate losing tons of time on that event. First, as others have said, you definitely need to be swimming more than once a week to get to the skill and fitness level where you can really enjoy swimming, Second, it helps to have a specific goal for each workout so you're not just "putting in time". I train solo in a very boring setting here (esp. for bike), and would go nuts without some kind of structured workout for each ride. There are all kinds of swim workouts you can find on this site and elsewhere online. Finally think of a way to reward yourself for swimming. I'll admit--I stockpile my favorite chocolate-cherry gu for long rides, and there are days when it's mainly that, and thinking about the brunch I'll have later, that get me through it. If possible, make the "reward" something you like to do, a healthy food, etc.
2014-03-16 6:57 AM

Master
Midlothian, VA

Music.

2014-03-16 7:05 AM
in reply to: faded_memories

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by faded_memories

Music.

+1
2014-03-16 7:20 AM
in reply to: EKH

Veteran
Calgary
I feel the same way (as the OP) about swimming. So i sign up for swim classes. Once I've made the commitment to getting out once a week for the class it's easier to get out a couple of more times to swim on my own. I also find that I'm motivated to swim harder with a group.
Don

2014-03-16 4:44 PM
in reply to: donw

Wow thank you guys! 

Thank you first of all, for all your replies. 

Secondly, after all your posts I don't feel the only one not liking the pool or at least that quite a lot of people went through this. Thanks!

Well, then, I will follow your tips and suggestions and I will start adding another swim session in my training week. I cannot add 3 sessions per week due to time. You know, there's still run and bike to train...

But I promise that I'll do my best to have a 3rd session the weeks I'll have enough time

I will try to read more about swim technique and I will try to apply during my training sessions!

Thanks guys! You're motivating me

I needed some good and positive minds around me

2014-03-16 5:25 PM

If you get in the pool two days/week, you will start to see improvements, and then those improvements will help keep you motivated. You will see even more improvement if you can go three times per week, so try to work in that third session if you can. Even it is short, it will help.

For me what works best is swimming with a group one day/week and getting workouts from the coach for the other two days (like Don said, above). If you can't do that, it would be a good idea to get some set swim workouts to do that will keep you interested. It's a lot more motivating to have a workout to follow when you get to the pool.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-03-16 5:27 PM
2014-03-16 6:02 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by AdventureBear What don't you like about the swimming?

Just wanted to bump this question.

2014-03-17 8:04 AM

I have had the same even though I've been swimming now for the better part of almost 2 years. It is a feeling of dread that I get in my stomach but once i push off the wall it all goes away and i'm good for the rest of the swim. I think possibly its knowing that your face will spend a good amount of time in the water and so, unlike cycling and running, oxygen doesnt seem so available. Its just a mental thing to get past and like the others have said more swims will help with that if its a problem for you. And if your just swimming straight laps you can make your swim more interesting by focusing on drills and correct technique using a structured swim workout.
2014-03-19 10:02 AM
in reply to: USAFR

I'm in your boat, though I've been trying to go 2-3x/week. My question is: when does it all click, allowing you to go longer distances? As an example, today I did 750 yards total, broken up into 150 yards, random 50 yard sets, a 100 yard set and some more 50 yard sets. Is there a point where you do this for a few weeks and then all of a sudden can bust out 1k yards?

2014-03-19 10:17 AM
in reply to: Omne38103

New user
penticton
swimming isnt different from other sport for motivation. if you show up to the pool and do ''random set'' it s a fair bet your motivation wont be high.

For swimming, joining a team can help a lot. but if you swim alone...have a plan....find someone that can make you a plan...have some SHORT TERM GOAL.... learn to embrace the challenge of swimming....find the way to enjoy the struggle and figuring out how to get better.

It s a question of commitment...your in or your not... but there isnt much in between.

Arrive at the pool with a plan, jump in and get it done. have someone that your accountable to, who can give you feedback and work with you. That is a huge part in the process of getting better.

and the ugly true is....it s very hard to become good at swimming on 2-3X a week. You need to get the time in the water, even if it s for a short amount of time (20min). GET IN THE WATER, THE MORE YOU SWIM, THE MORE YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!

2014-03-19 12:35 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

Expert
Boise, ID

If at all possible join a group or a master class. My gym previously did not offer this sort of thing and I struggled to force myself to swim 2-3 times per week. This Jan they started an adult swim club. We meet Tues and Thurs nights and have a coach. It is freakin awesome! No better motivation than to know that your swim buddy and coach are at the gym waiting for you to get a solid workout in. My swimming has improved by leaps and bounds and I no longer dread going to the pool. I may even feel like a real swimmer someday.

I still do my long swim on Sundays by myself. The long swims are helping me to do better in the more intense tues Thurs swims so even the long swim is easier to get motivated for. 

And here is the number 1 tip. Buy an audioflood. Seriously is the best invention for tri since the bicycle. I was lucky enough to win one here for submitting a gear review. I have used it twice now and it is awesome! Nothing cooler than swimming with your tunes. Cuts down on the pool noise and you can really get lost in the swim. The 3-4,000 yards goes by really quickly with the music. Definitely worth the $150 they charge for them!

2014-03-19 12:38 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Melbourne, Florida

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by AdventureBear What don't you like about the swimming?

Just wanted to bump this question.

I'm also curious about this.

2014-03-19 12:41 PM

I hated swimming for the first 1.5 years I did it for tri as an adult-onset swimmer. It's just so friggin' hard to learn to get to even MOP. 

It does get better though - a lot better, if you stick at it. I enjoy swimming now. But it took me a lot of work and effort to get there. 

In response to 'what didn't you like about swimming": I'd say EVERYTHING when I started. I hated being slow, being in the slow lane, hated gasping for air, hated having no clue what my form looked like, hated getting smoked in the swim in every race in my first year, hated wondering if I'd DNF ocean swims if there was mild waves and current, hated seeing my BBBBOP swim vs FOP bike/run, hated not being able do group/masters since I was so slow I couldn't swim with anyone, hated how all the 'fish' make it sound so easy and natural...and I REALLY hated how it's so common for people to say you should be swimming like 1:30/100yd pace with pure technique and no fitness (I have not found this to be true in the slightest - I found I had to gain real swim fitness to even swim a measly 2:00/100. Not a stunningly large increase in fitness, but a definite increase that absolutely can't be overlooked.)

i could go on and on, and I suspect many true adult-onset swim noobs with no talent just like me, feel very similarly in the start of their swimming career.

Edited by yazmaster 2014-03-19 12:45 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim motivation Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Loss of Motivation - The Swim

Started by brownlab
Views: 1385 Posts: 18

2009-03-31 8:22 PM lkagop

Swimming motivation

Started by harmony
Views: 808 Posts: 4

2008-03-22 1:03 AM meepx2

Do you need Motivation to train?? Day 1 Motivation of 10

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 1061 Posts: 7

2007-08-22 1:16 PM Selachophobia

Swimming mental motivation

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 679 Posts: 2

2007-05-18 6:48 PM drdi

Swim Motivation!!!!

Started by gj50
Views: 879 Posts: 10

2005-07-21 10:01 AM idahodan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
comments : 0
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Reasons for triathlon training.
author : surfking
Reasons and Motivation to Triathlon Train

author : Daniel Clout
Why I love triathlon so much and what on earth compels triathlon upon me.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"Being novices to the sport, we feel a bit anxious about our lack of knowledge about competing in a triathlon. Our primary worry? The bike leg."

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
How to motivate yourslef into habit forming triathlon training goals.
Overcoming first-time fears.

One tool I’ve used successfully is the three A’s. Acceptance, Analysis, and Action.